levelwave

Default Storing Fresh Green Beans

What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

levelwave > wrote:
> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
> but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

Just store the green beans the same way your grocery does.
In a cool dry area, such as a paper bag on top of your counter.
If you need to store the beans for longer than two or three days,
blanch them in boiling water, then freeze them.

HoseHead

Ask the little old black lady in the wheelchair
she seems to be a very frugle shopper

HoseHead
"levelwave" > wrote in message
> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
> but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...
>

> ~john!
>

> --
> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
> away...

Katra

levelwave wrote:

> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
> but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...
>
> ~john!
>
> --
> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
> away...

Blanch and freeze....

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Wayne Boatwright

Katra > wrote in
:

> levelwave wrote:
>>
>> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the
>> Fridge but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...
>>
>> ~john!

How do you store them in the fridge? I've never had a problem storing
fresh green beans in the fridge, either unwashed and whole or washed and
prepped for cooking. I make sure they're thoroughly dried, then store
in a pastic bag with most of the air removed. They keep for days, as
long as a week, before any hint of spoilage.

Wayne

>> --
>> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly
>> look away...

> Blanch and freeze....
>
> K.

levelwave

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> How do you store them in the fridge? I've never had a problem storing
> fresh green beans in the fridge, either unwashed and whole or washed and
> prepped for cooking. I make sure they're thoroughly dried, then store
> in a pastic bag with most of the air removed. They keep for days, as
> long as a week, before any hint of spoilage.

I just placed them in the fridge still in the produce bag from the
supermarket... not exactly air tight... Fresh Green Beans is something
fairly new to my diet...

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Katra

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>

> > levelwave wrote:
> >>
> >> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the
> >> Fridge but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...
> >>
> >> ~john!

> How do you store them in the fridge? I've never had a problem storing
> fresh green beans in the fridge, either unwashed and whole or washed and
> prepped for cooking. I make sure they're thoroughly dried, then store
> in a pastic bag with most of the air removed. They keep for days, as
> long as a week, before any hint of spoilage.
>
> Wayne
>

> >> --
> >> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly
> >> look away...

> > Blanch and freeze....
> >
> > K.

I usually store them in an open collander and they keep for about 5 to 7
days. When it comes to fresh produce, I try not to buy more than I can
use in one week. :-)

I have wicker baskets that I store most of my fresh fruit and produce
in, including ginger and lemons. Ginger keeps for about 4 weeks.

I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart unit tho' that is very, very stable at 38
to 40 degrees. Double glass doors and the whole bit. It's on the
enclosed sun porch.

I got it for free when our lab bought new refrigerators! Had a hell of a
time bringing it home and installing it, and it's about 20 years old so
have sunk about $600.00 into it in repairs in 3 years, but considering
it's worth around $3,000.00, it is money well spent. :-) I think it's
good to go now for awhile since they did a dye test and found the last
freon leak...

God I love that refrigerator! LOL!

It's amusing, I lusted after that refrigerator for years, and never,
EVER imagined I'd end up owning it! It was in the micro' section tho' so
when I got it home, I sprayed it inside and out with 10% bleach and
cleaned it well before using it...

One can never have too much refrigerator space. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Katra

levelwave wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > How do you store them in the fridge? I've never had a problem storing
> > fresh green beans in the fridge, either unwashed and whole or washed and
> > prepped for cooking. I make sure they're thoroughly dried, then store
> > in a pastic bag with most of the air removed. They keep for days, as
> > long as a week, before any hint of spoilage.

> I just placed them in the fridge still in the produce bag from the
> supermarket... not exactly air tight... Fresh Green Beans is something
> fairly new to my diet...
>
> ~john!
>
> --

Try sautéing them in butter and olive oil with a sprinkling of sesame
seeds. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Tigsnona

How long are we talking about storing them here? A week, a month, a
year?

If it's a week, then there's no problem so long as they are fresh. I
simply cut off the tops and bottoms and store them in the vegetable
crisper in the fridge in a special "green" plastic bag that promises
to keep fresh produce longer. It does so long as it isn't too long.

If it's a month - dont try to keep them in the ordinary fresh part of
the refrigerator. Use them and don't try to keep them.

If it's longer, here's a tip. Cut them up, blanch them and then snap
freeze. I find them simply awful done this way. They are soft and
limp and have no flavour.

What about salting them in the old-fashioned way? This method is
brilliant. Cut them up, blanch them and then put them in brine, and
seal them down. Eat as many or as few as you like and reseal.

You won't be disappointed.

Oh and the third way is to buy canned green beans. Ugh! But you
might like them.

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.

Jack Schidt®

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
> but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

At what temp is your refrigerator set? I've never seen this happen with
fresh green beans. I have to forget about them for a week or more for that
to happen.

Jack Legumerational

Peter Aitken

"levelwave" > wrote in message
> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
> but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

In that case I'd question how "fresh" they really were. I have stored green
beans for as long as a week in the fridge. They are not quit as fresh at the
end of the week but there is no spoilage as you describe.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

levelwuss writes:

>I just placed them in the fridge still in the produce bag from the
>supermarket... not exactly air tight... Fresh Green Beans is something
>fairly new to my diet...

You still haven't had a fresh green bean... if you bought em at a stupidmarket
they ain't fresh.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

"levelwuss" wrote:

>What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
>but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

You're such a jerk... you never tasted a Fresh green bean.

You need to quit raiding your stupidmarket's produce department's dumpster...
btw, if they weren't picked within hours they ain't Fresh Green Beans...
stupidmarkets do not sell any fresh produce, NONE.... they only call it fresh
as averse to canned/frozen. PS Frozen is more nutritious than stupidmarket
'fresh', so is canned.

The best way to long-term store green beans is in a jar, pickled... use ONLY
FRESH green beans (picked that day).

http://www.picklenet.com/sections/ca...orld/beans.htm

Pickled Green Beans

This pickle is lovely and sweet, and can be served as an hors d'oeuvre with egg
mayonnaise and a sprig of dill. Fills approx. 2 x 600ml jars.

convert measurements
675 g green beans
3 tsp pickling spice
3 tsp black peppercorns
1 litre white wine vinegar
75 g sugar
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
1 onion
1 red capsicum
a few sprigs of dill

1. Trim the beans and cut into 7 cm lengths. Boil in a pan of water for 1
minute. Drain and rinde thoroughly, and dry with kitchen paper.

2. Put the pickling spice and peppercorns onto apiece of muslin, and tie up
into a bag with a piece of string. Tie the bag to the handle of a large
saucepan. Put the vinegar, sugar, bay leaf and garlic clove into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to
the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Then remove the muslin bag, bay leaf and
garlic clove. Leave to cool.

4. Peel and dice the onion. Core, seed and dice the capsicum. Mix both
together.

5. Pack the beans into sterilized jars so that they are upright. Spoon in the
onion and capsicum mixture. Add 2 sprigs of dill to each jar, and pour over the
vinegar mixture, so that the vegetables are well covered.

6. Seal jars firmly. Store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks, to allow
flavours to develop.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Katra

PENMART01 wrote:

> levelwuss writes:
> >
> >I just placed them in the fridge still in the produce bag from the
> >supermarket... not exactly air tight... Fresh Green Beans is something
> >fairly new to my diet...
> >

> You still haven't had a fresh green bean... if you bought em at a stupidmarket
> they ain't fresh.
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Sheldon actually has a good point here. ;-)

I grow green beans in the garden every single year as they are prolific,
easy to grow and there is nothing like cooking them the same morning
that you pick them off the vines!

My favorite are the yard long variety, and this year I grew a purple
variety that was quite good. There are a few of those left on the vines
right now, but I'm letting them go to seed for next springs planting.

I like to steam them lightly and serve with lemon butter, or sautee in
butter and olive oil with sesame seeds. :-)

>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

Nancy Young

The Wolf wrote:

> It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
> one?

I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
other end. Whack. Hardly work.

nancy
PENMART01

The Wolf > writes:

>"PENMART01"
> opined:
>
>> In article >,
>> (j.j.) writes:
>>
>>> (PENMART01) say:

>>> stupidmarket
>>>
>>> That could explain the rapid decay -- I got some green beans from my
>>> sister's garden over the summer, and they after three days, they were
>>> still green and perky. I didn't store them in any special manner either;
>>> IIRC, they were in a paper bag...

>> Green beans are one of the easiest of crops to grow; a 20 foot row will

>supply
>> more than enough to supply a family of four every day from late spring til
>> late
>> summer.
>>

>It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
>one?

Same trimming is required whether home grown or from the stupidmarket, I simply
pinch the stem end off with my thumbnail... only requires about ten minutes per
pound. Of course you can have your mommy prep your greeny beanys. Me, I
actually enjoy prepping the fruits of my labors. Maybe you have a sore butt...
a little more Preparation H and/or a little less dick should do your trick.
Sheesh, what a ****ing lazy *******.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Donna Rose

In article >,
says...
>The Wolf wrote:
>
>> It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
>> one?

>I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
>I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
>other end. Whack. Hardly work.
>
>nancy

My mom's church has an annual ethnic food festival. One of the dishes
our booth serves is a dish called "Green Beans Belgrade". Any idea how
long it takes to clean 90 pounds of green beans? I got so sick of
cleaning beans that I refuse to do that particular job any more - I'll go
in the kitchen and wash dishes, slice 50 pounds of onions, anything, just
not to have to look at 90 pounds of green beans.

Green Beans Belgrade:

1 pound green beans, cleaned and cut into two to three inch pieces
1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
sour cream

Blanch green beans for several minutes - removed from water and dump in
ice water bath to preserve the bright green color.

Saute the garlic over medium-high heat in olive oil, then add the bread
crumbs and saute till a rich deep brown color (do not burn!). (They
should be slightly moist but not wet).

Place the beans in an casserole dish, sprinkle with the toasted bread
crumbs and slather with sourcream to taste. Pop in a 350ºF oven for 20 -
30 minutes, until top is lightly browned.

--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK
paul

/| /| | / |
||__|| | | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the mad |
/ \ | man sheldon |
/ \ \ | |
/ _ \ \\--------------------¥
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `¥
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

PENMART01 wrote:

> The Wolf > writes:
>

>>"PENMART01"
> opined:

>>>Green beans are one of the easiest of crops to grow; a 20 foot row will

>>supply
>>
>>>more than enough to supply a family of four every day from late spring til
>>>late
>>>summer.
>>>

>>It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
>>one?

> Same trimming is required whether home grown or from the stupidmarket, I simply
> pinch the stem end off with my thumbnail... only requires about ten minutes per
> pound. Of course you can have your mommy prep your greeny beanys. Me, I
> actually enjoy prepping the fruits of my labors. Maybe you have a sore butt...
> a little more Preparation H and/or a little less dick should do your trick.
> Sheesh, what a ****ing lazy *******.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

The Wolf

On 11/19/2003 10:22 AM, in article
et, "Donna Rose"
> opined:

> In article >,
> says...
>> The Wolf wrote:
>>
>>> It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
>>> one?

>> I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
>> I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
>> other end. Whack. Hardly work.
>>
>> nancy
>>

> My mom's church has an annual ethnic food festival. One of the dishes
> our booth serves is a dish called "Green Beans Belgrade". Any idea how
> long it takes to clean 90 pounds of green beans? I got so sick of
> cleaning beans that I refuse to do that particular job any more - I'll go
> in the kitchen and wash dishes, slice 50 pounds of onions, anything, just
> not to have to look at 90 pounds of green beans.

My sentiments exactly, I usually do about three pounds, hamhock, onions etc.

I grab about 6 at a time, line them up and cut off the tips with my very
sharp knife. Line up the other end and do it again. Tedious boring work! Man
I hate that!

> Green Beans Belgrade:
>
> 1 pound green beans, cleaned and cut into two to three inch pieces
> 1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 1/4 cup olive oil
> sour cream
>
> Blanch green beans for several minutes - removed from water and dump in
> ice water bath to preserve the bright green color.
>
> Saute the garlic over medium-high heat in olive oil, then add the bread
> crumbs and saute till a rich deep brown color (do not burn!). (They
> should be slightly moist but not wet).
>
> Place the beans in an casserole dish, sprinkle with the toasted bread
> crumbs and slather with sourcream to taste. Pop in a 350ºF oven for 20 -
> 30 minutes, until top is lightly browned.

"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

paul

PENMART01 wrote:
> The Wuss<S>olf</S> writes:
>
>>I grab about 6 at a time, line them up and cut off the tips with my very
>>sharp knife.

> By the time you line up six I've pinched off twelve.
>

>>Line up the other end and do it again.

> No reason whatsoever to remove the blossom end, in fact removing same indicates
> culinary unprofessionalism to the extreme.

Oh, yeah big asshole, because you are soo professional! You eat the tail
of the gren beans because you are use to eat mice. You know what next
time I will send you my cuttings for you to eat, garbage man.

>>Tedious boring work! Man I hate that!

> Lazy *******. And from reading your follow up post I know you're also an
> ignorant *******... actually an ignoranus.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

blake murphy

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:13 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>The Wolf wrote:
>
>> It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
>> one?

>I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
>I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
>other end. Whack. Hardly work.
>
>nancy

i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.

your pal,
blake
Nancy Young

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:13 -0500, Nancy Young

> >I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
> >I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
> >other end. Whack. Hardly work.
> >
> >nancy

> i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
> snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.

Yeah, except there is hardly anything to snap off green beans. Not
nearly the waste as with asparagus. And as I don't care for asparagus,
more reward.

nancy
Katra

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:13 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> >The Wolf wrote:
> >
> >> It is a royal pain in the butt to trim the stems though, any tricks oh wise
> >> one?

> >I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
> >I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
> >other end. Whack. Hardly work.
> >
> >nancy

> i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
> snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Are you, like, into old threads or what??? :-)

You snap beans to get rid of the strings.

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Frogleg

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:56:34 -0600, Katra >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
>> snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.

>You snap beans to get rid of the strings.

Well, you used to. (And the 'strings' would certainly be the more
fibrous parts.) Most commercially-produced "string" beans these days
are virtually stringless. You *do* want to cut/snap/whack off the stem
end, and while fresh-from-the-garden beans are ready to use at that
point, stuff that's been stored and shipped may have a blossom
(pointy) end that's dried out and merits cutting off, too.
blake murphy

wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:13 -0500, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>> >I find it therapudic (sp) to snap green beans, but if I was in a hurry,
>> >I'd line them up and whack with a knife. One end, then line up the
>> >other end. Whack. Hardly work.
>> >
>> >nancy

>> i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
>> snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Are you, like, into old threads or what??? :-)
>
>You snap beans to get rid of the strings.
>
>K.

most of the green beans i get are from the supermarket - they don't
seem to have significant strings.

your pal,
blake

JonquilJan

blake murphy > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 00:56:34 -0600, Katra >
> wrote:
>

> >blake murphy wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:13 -0500, Nancy Young

oh wise

hurry,

> >> i've always thought than snapping your beans had the same purpose as
> >> snapping asparagus - you get rid of the more fibrous parts.
> >>
> >> your pal,
> >> blake

> >Are you, like, into old threads or what??? :-)
> >
> >You snap beans to get rid of the strings.
> >
> >K.

> most of the green beans i get are from the supermarket - they don't
> seem to have significant strings.
>
> your pal,
> blake

The majority of varieties of green beans on the market today have had the
'string' bred out of them. Actually you have to grow one of the very old
varieties, mostly pole beans, to have a string at all.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying