Old 20-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Carol Cohen

Default When did oatmeal portion go from 1/3 c. to 1/2 c.?

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

C.C.

Old 20-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Sarah Jane

In Carol Cohen wrote:
I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

C.C.

I'm not sure when it changed, but I think I know why. They're claiming
that eating oatmeal every day can lower cholesterol, but apparently the
smaller serving size isn't enough to get the effect. I just checked the
box in my cabinet, and it says "eating a good-sized bowl of Quaker
Oatmeal for 30 days will actually help _remove_ cholesterol from your
body". Note the "good-sized" specification.
Old 20-01-2004, 07:00 PM
PENMART01

(Carol Cohen)

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better

Why not just call the Quaker Oats Corporation?
http://quakeroats.com/qfb_ContactUs/Consumers.cfm

newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

Probably to sell more oats... who in their right mind dirties a pot for such a
small quantity anyway... washing the pot costs as much as the puny portion of
oats... for those who prepare just one serving it's more economical to buy the
single serving pouches.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Old 20-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Janet Bostwick

"Carol Cohen" wrote in message
om...
I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

C.C.

Did you change the type of oatmeal that you buy--instant/quick/regular? The
proportions for regular oats has always been 2:1 as far as I know, just like
any other grain.
Janet

Old 20-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Dally

Carol Cohen wrote:

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

C.C.

I've noticed that portion sizes change quite frequently on foods as the
manufacturers try to either get real (does a slim box of mac'n'cheese
really serve 4?) or the opposite thing happens, a single serving bag is
transformed into two servings without it being obvious on the outside
that it's now two servings, so fat people can eat as much as they like.

Okay, that wasn't very articulate, but I'm thinking of dorito snack
bags. The 1/2 ounce bags used to go in lunch boxes but now there are 3
ounce bags (I think) that people STILL eat as a single serving.

Dally

Old 20-01-2004, 07:32 PM
LIMEYNO1

"PENMART01" wrote in message
(Carol Cohen)

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better

Why not just call the Quaker Oats Corporation?
http://quakeroats.com/qfb_ContactUs/Consumers.cfm

newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

Probably to sell more oats... who in their right mind dirties a pot for

such a
small quantity anyway... washing the pot costs as much as the puny portion

of
oats... for those who prepare just one serving it's more economical to buy

the
single serving pouches.

Eyeeewww! Instant oatmeal! Yuk! yuk! yuk!

Old 20-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Default User

Dally wrote:

I've noticed that portion sizes change quite frequently on foods as the
manufacturers try to either get real (does a slim box of mac'n'cheese
really serve 4?) or the opposite thing happens, a single serving bag is
transformed into two servings without it being obvious on the outside
that it's now two servings, so fat people can eat as much as they like.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If they increase the number of
serving per bag, why can people eat as much as they want? The serving
size would go down, so if you following number of servings you'd eat
less, not more.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 20-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Chrys

"Default User" wrote in message
Dally wrote:

I've noticed that portion sizes change quite frequently on foods as

the
manufacturers try to either get real (does a slim box of mac'n'cheese
really serve 4?) or the opposite thing happens, a single serving bag

is
transformed into two servings without it being obvious on the outside
that it's now two servings, so fat people can eat as much as they

like.

This doesn't make any sense at all. If they increase the number of
serving per bag, why can people eat as much as they want? The serving
size would go down, so if you following number of servings you'd eat
less, not more.

People don't follow the serving sizes that are listed. They're frequently
rediculous. How many people buy a 20 ounce bottle of Coke and then
actually follow what the label says about it being 2.5 servings? The
tendency is often for people to not measure and interpret a serving to
mean closer to what they consider a serving.

Old 20-01-2004, 09:28 PM
alien

"Chrys" wrote in
:

People don't follow the serving sizes that are listed. They're
frequently rediculous. How many people buy a 20 ounce bottle of Coke
and then actually follow what the label says about it being 2.5
servings? The tendency is often for people to not measure and
interpret a serving to mean closer to what they consider a serving.

this being the reason obesity is soooo high.
Old 20-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Dave Smith

Carol Cohen wrote:

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

When did people start to actually measure porridge ingredients?

Old 20-01-2004, 10:01 PM

Chrys wrote:

This doesn't make any sense at all. If they increase the number of
serving per bag, why can people eat as much as they want? The serving
size would go down, so if you following number of servings you'd eat
less, not more.

People don't follow the serving sizes that are listed. They're frequently
rediculous. How many people buy a 20 ounce bottle of Coke and then
actually follow what the label says about it being 2.5 servings? The
tendency is often for people to not measure and interpret a serving to
mean closer to what they consider a serving.

So what does it matter? The OP said that smaller serving sizes meant fat
people could eat as much as they want. If they are paying attention to
the label, then it doesn't matter whether a soda is 2.5 servings or 25
servings. It was an idiotic statement.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 20-01-2004, 10:25 PM

Default User wrote:

If they are paying attention to the label

Errr, if they AREN'T paying attention to the label, of course.

Brian Rodenborn
Old 20-01-2004, 11:08 PM
Succorso

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

Carol Cohen wrote:

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

When did people start to actually measure porridge ingredients?

I did originally because I hate thick porridge - it has the consitency of
snot and makes me gag; so I used to measure quantities until I knew the
right proportions by sight.

--
Succorso

Old 20-01-2004, 11:52 PM
Dave Smith

Succorso wrote:

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

When did people start to actually measure porridge ingredients?

I did originally because I hate thick porridge - it has the consitency of
snot and makes me gag; so I used to measure quantities until I knew the
right proportions by sight.

I like it to be thick, but it is too thick I add a little more water.

Old 21-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Sheryl Rosen

in article , PENMART01 at
wrote on 1/20/04 2:00 PM:

(Carol Cohen)

I'm writing to you because I can't think of better

Why not just call the Quaker Oats Corporation?
http://quakeroats.com/qfb_ContactUs/Consumers.cfm

newsgroups to
answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
size change? And why?

Probably to sell more oats... who in their right mind dirties a pot for such a
small quantity anyway... washing the pot costs as much as the puny portion of
oats... for those who prepare just one serving it's more economical to buy the
single serving pouches.

Who uses a pot????

Every morning, I put my half cup of oats into a small tupperware bowl, add a
spoonful of sweetner (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, whatever is handy), a
small handful of dried cranberries, heaping tablespoon of chopped nuts
(walnuts or almonds), and tote it along to work with me.

When I get there, I put hot water from the bottled water dispenser (it's hot
enough for tea) in, and then nuke it right in the bowl for 2 minutes.

Nothing could be easier, and at 99 cents, on sale for the very large store
brand canister of 3 minute oats, nothing could be less expensive, even after
adding in the cost of dried fruits and nuts. A half pound bag of dried
cranberries costs me 2.50, and lasts me about 10 bowls. That's the most
expensive part of this breakfast!!!! 25 cents a serving.

portion control T[_8_] Diabetic 1 04-05-2016 12:25 PM
Portion Size: 1/2 cinnamon bun Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 3 16-02-2012 06:24 AM
Oxo portion scoops Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 36 23-03-2011 03:48 PM
Speaking of portion control... Mark[_26_] General Cooking 0 28-09-2010 06:03 PM
Portion Control Pays Off in Weight Loss None Given Diabetic 3 31-10-2004 04:48 PM