Sheryl Rosen

Default When did oatmeal portion go from 1/3 c. to 1/2 c.?

in article , PENMART01 at

http://quakeroats.com/qfb_ContactUs/Consumers.cfm

> newsgroups to
>> answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
>> recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
>> new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
>> calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
>> size change? And why?

> Probably to sell more oats... who in their right mind dirties a pot for such a
> small quantity anyway... washing the pot costs as much as the puny portion of
> oats... for those who prepare just one serving it's more economical to buy the
> single serving pouches.

Who uses a pot????

Every morning, I put my half cup of oats into a small tupperware bowl, add a
spoonful of sweetner (honey, maple syrup, brown sugar, whatever is handy), a
small handful of dried cranberries, heaping tablespoon of chopped nuts
(walnuts or almonds), and tote it along to work with me.

When I get there, I put hot water from the bottled water dispenser (it's hot
enough for tea) in, and then nuke it right in the bowl for 2 minutes.

Nothing could be easier, and at 99 cents, on sale for the very large store
brand canister of 3 minute oats, nothing could be less expensive, even after
adding in the cost of dried fruits and nuts. A half pound bag of dried
cranberries costs me 2.50, and lasts me about 10 bowls. That's the most
expensive part of this breakfast!!!! 25 cents a serving.