Sarah Jane

Default When did oatmeal portion go from 1/3 c. to 1/2 c.?

In > Carol Cohen wrote:
> I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
> answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
> recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
> new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
> calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
> size change? And why?
>
> C.C.

I'm not sure when it changed, but I think I know why. They're claiming
that eating oatmeal every day can lower cholesterol, but apparently the
smaller serving size isn't enough to get the effect. I just checked the
box in my cabinet, and it says "eating a good-sized bowl of Quaker
Oatmeal for 30 days will actually help _remove_ cholesterol from your
body". Note the "good-sized" specification.