Dally

Default When did oatmeal portion go from 1/3 c. to 1/2 c.?

Carol Cohen wrote:

> I'm writing to you because I can't think of better newsgroups to
> answer my question, which is: I have always made oatmeal by the
> recipe on the Quaker Oats box: 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup water. But the
> new box reads: 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water. (and of course the
> calories which used to be 110, are now 150). When did the portion
> size change? And why?
>
> C.C.

I've noticed that portion sizes change quite frequently on foods as the
manufacturers try to either get real (does a slim box of mac'n'cheese
really serve 4?) or the opposite thing happens, a single serving bag is
transformed into two servings without it being obvious on the outside
that it's now two servings, so fat people can eat as much as they like.

Okay, that wasn't very articulate, but I'm thinking of dorito snack
bags. The 1/2 ounce bags used to go in lunch boxes but now there are 3
ounce bags (I think) that people STILL eat as a single serving.

Dally