Old 08-08-2004, 09:45 PM
Michael Odom

Default NuTone in-counter appliance.

Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system? The house we bought this spring (Atomic Age
mid-century modern) has one next to the sink. Most of the attachments
are in the pantry, but I've never used it. It has a mixer, a food
grinder several bowls and some things I haven't figured out what to
use for.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 PM
Mike Pearce

"Michael Odom" wrote in message

Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system?

The house I grew up in had one of those. They are kind of cool. My parents
had it and used it for well over thirty years. They left it in their last
house when they sold it a few years back.

My mom would use the meat grinder, mixer, and blender fairly often. I didn't
use it much, but would be happy to pass on any questions to my parents. Send
me some pictures of the mystery parts if you'd like and I'll ask my parents
about them if I don't know what they are.

-Mike

Old 08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Rick & Cyndi

"Michael Odom" wrote in message
Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system? The house we bought this spring (Atomic Age
mid-century modern) has one next to the sink. Most of the attachments
are in the pantry, but I've never used it. It has a mixer, a food
grinder several bowls and some things I haven't figured out what to
use for.

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

===============

We had one - and LOVED it. My Dad installed ours in one of the houses we
grew up in... Great stuff. Really handy, too. Sure beats the heck out of
dragging out three different appliances with attached motors (weight, bulk,
etc.). Hmmm, if all of my appliances were to die and/or if I were 'starting
out' all over - I'd love to have a Nutone system again.

Cyndi

Old 09-08-2004, 02:06 AM
Jack Schidt®

"Michael Odom" wrote in message
Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system? The house we bought this spring (Atomic Age
mid-century modern) has one next to the sink. Most of the attachments
are in the pantry, but I've never used it. It has a mixer, a food
grinder several bowls and some things I haven't figured out what to
use for.

No experience mit, but I'm all ears for the upcoming report. I've gazed
from afar and they always seemed kinda Jetsonian, in a weird (yep it's me)
kinda way. I'm curious as to the power that the thing puts out, as I've
seen all kinds of attachments.

Jack Spacely

Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 AM
sf

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:45:33 -0500, Michael Odom
wrote:

Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system? The house we bought this spring (Atomic Age
mid-century modern) has one next to the sink. Most of the attachments
are in the pantry, but I've never used it. It has a mixer, a food
grinder several bowls and some things I haven't figured out what to
use for.

I have something similar! As far as I know it was just a
blender though. There's nothing wrong with the motor, but
I've never used it (well, once when I was curious). I don't
even know where the jar is anymore. I wonder if any old
blender jar would fit? I could use an extra blender every
now and then.

sf

Old 09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
sf

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:00:19 -0500, "Mike Pearce"
wrote:

They left it in their last
house when they sold it a few years back.

It was portable? I thought they were set into the counter.

sf

Old 09-08-2004, 03:57 AM
Puester

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

[...]

Devil's advocate:

1. You still have to lug and store all the attachments.
2. When the imbedded motor dies, you lose all your appliances
at once.
3. You don't have a choice of features in each of the
appliance categories, you're stuck with whatever Nutone
provided.

That said, friends built one into their new house some 25
years ago and loved it until it died.

gloria p

Old 09-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Wayne

sf wrote in
:

wrote:

Has anybody had experience with a Nutone in-the-counter kitchen
appliance system? The house we bought this spring (Atomic Age
mid-century modern) has one next to the sink. Most of the
attachments are in the pantry, but I've never used it. It has a
mixer, a food grinder several bowls and some things I haven't
figured out what to use for.

I have something similar! As far as I know it was just a
blender though. There's nothing wrong with the motor, but
I've never used it (well, once when I was curious). I don't
even know where the jar is anymore. I wonder if any old
blender jar would fit? I could use an extra blender every
now and then.

You mean you have that thing in your counter and you never use it? I'd
either use it, or have an inlaid cutting board or something set into the
space (or larger) instead.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:07 AM
Wayne

sf wrote in news:6lpdh09h34q8o1ru2mi9c40iq2p8vc0v7e@
4ax.com:

wrote:

They left it in their last
house when they sold it a few years back.

It was portable? I thought they were set into the counter.

They not portable. That's why they left it.

Old 09-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Wayne

Puester wrote in
:

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

[...]

You'd also have to lug and store all the separate appliances which, with
motor, are both heavier and bulkier.

2. When the imbedded motor dies, you lose all your appliances
at once.

True, but it's *one* replacement motor and you're back in business.

3. You don't have a choice of features in each of the
appliance categories, you're stuck with whatever Nutone
provided.

When those were being newly installed, there were precious few "bells and
whistles" type features in most appliances. I suspect it was considered
"state of the art".

That said, friends built one into their new house some 25
years ago and loved it until it died.

Never had one, but always thought I wanted one back in "those days".