Default What appliance do I need

I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown cuts
from potatoes.

I guess the closest thing is a food processor. Anyone want to
recommend one?

When replying by email please leave this signature intact.
Andy

wrote:

> I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
> would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
> have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown cuts
> from potatoes.
>
> I guess the closest thing is a food processor. Anyone want to
> recommend one?

Kilowatt,

How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you ask
(with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not in
use, all without breaking the bank.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Nancy Young

"Andy" <q> wrote

>> I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
>> would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
>> have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown cuts
>> from potatoes.

> How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you ask
> (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not in
> use, all without breaking the bank.

Dang, you took my idea, I hesitated because I didn't know they had a
grating accessory.

nancy

Andy

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>>> I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
>>> would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
>>> have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown

cuts
>>> from potatoes.

>> How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you

ask
>> (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not

in
>> use, all without breaking the bank.

> Dang, you took my idea, I hesitated because I didn't know they had a
> grating accessory.
>
> nancy

nancy,

Tell you what... If Kilowatt buys one, I'll split the credit with ya?
OK?? (SMILE)

OH and another plus is it's a super quick to clean!

Andy

aem

Andy wrote:

> How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you ask
> (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not in
> use, all without breaking the bank.

Dangerous advice to give a novice, given how many rfc-ers have reported
cutting themselves on mandolins... Learning basic knife skills to chop
an onion and slice or dice some potatoes seems like a better starting
place to me. -aem

Andy

aem wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>>
>> How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you

ask
>> (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not

in
>> use, all without breaking the bank.
>>

> Dangerous advice to give a novice, given how many rfc-ers have

reported
> cutting themselves on mandolins... Learning basic knife skills to

chop
> an onion and slice or dice some potatoes seems like a better starting
> place to me. -aem

I agree somewhat. Some mandolins come with a holder that protects the
hand.

I have the cheap-o "As seen on TV" one with that.

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
aem

Sheldon wrote:
> [snip]... why do males
> have nipples anyway?!?!?

Why, don't you know, it's Intelligent Design! -aem

Kenneth

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:24:37 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>aem wrote:
>

>> Andy wrote:
>>>
>>> How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you

>ask
>>> (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not

>in
>>> use, all without breaking the bank.
>>>

>> Dangerous advice to give a novice, given how many rfc-ers have

>reported
>> cutting themselves on mandolins... Learning basic knife skills to

>chop
>> an onion and slice or dice some potatoes seems like a better starting
>> place to me. -aem

>I agree somewhat. Some mandolins come with a holder that protects the
>hand.
>
>I have the cheap-o "As seen on TV" one with that.

Howdy,

What you are looking for is a mandoline.
^

For mandolins see http://tinyurl.com/cl7ly but, please don't
use 'em for slicing food.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Christine Dabney

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:33 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
>> would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
>> have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown cuts
>> from potatoes.
>>
>> I guess the closest thing is a food processor. Anyone want to
>> recommend one?

>Kilowatt,
>
>How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you ask
>(with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not in
>use, all without breaking the bank.

The new Oxo mandoline is great, and a reasonable price.

Christine

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:29:39 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:33 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't do much cooking but I do some. The 3 most common tasks I
>>> would like to make easier is grating cheese, chopping onions, and I
>>> have never done it but I would like to be able to make hash brown cuts
>>> from potatoes.
>>>
>>> I guess the closest thing is a food processor. Anyone want to
>>> recommend one?

>>Kilowatt,
>>
>>How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you ask
>>(with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when not in
>>use, all without breaking the bank.

>The new Oxo mandoline is great, and a reasonable price.
>
>Christine

Ok. You sold me. I ordered one from Amazon.com.

Thanks
When replying by email please leave this signature intact.
Steve Pope

jmcquown > wrote:

>A regular plane grater works for me for cheese.

Same for me, but I only use it for hard cheeses like
parmesan. Softer cheeses, I just slice with a knife.

The old-fashion, wire-type cheese slices is also good,
in that it doesn't dull your knives.

Steve

Sheldon

Steve Velveeta Boy Pope wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
> >A regular plane grater works for me for cheese.

> Same for me, but I only use it for hard cheeses like
> parmesan. Softer cheeses, I just slice with a knife.
>
> The old-fashion, wire-type cheese slices is also good,
> in that it doesn't dull your knives.

Who are you, Veleveeta boy?

What kinda fercocktah sperm whale head cheese do you suck down that
dulls knives... the thing about wire cheese cutters is that there are
no blade sides for cheese to stick to, wire essentially eliminates the
drag coefficient so produces cleaner slices... but there's far greater
odds that the harder the cheese the more likely it will break a wire
than dull a knife... a wire works well for softer cheeses but a knife
works better with harder cheeses... but you pert-near gotta approach
Vermont Granite Quarry Cheddar before worrying about dull blades

Sheldon

Denny Wheeler

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:47:47 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>What you are looking for is a mandoline.
> ^
>
>For mandolins

Same thing. "mandoline" is the French spelling; "mandolin" is the
preferred English spelling.

(or were you being facetious?)
--
-denny-
"Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

"It's come as you are, baby."

-over the hedge
jacqui{JB}

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Sheldon wrote:
>> [snip]... why do males have nipples anyway?!?!?

> Why, don't you know, it's Intelligent Design! -aem

No, for lactation:
http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/...s/milkmen.html

-j

Andy

wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:29:39 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:

>>>Kilowatt,
>>>
>>>How about a food mandolin? Pretty cheap, safely does everything you
>>>ask (with accessories [grating cheese]) and stores out of sight when
>>>not in use, all without breaking the bank.

>>The new Oxo mandoline is great, and a reasonable price.
>>
>>Christine

> Ok. You sold me. I ordered one from Amazon.com.
>
> Thanks
> Kilowatt

HIGH-FIVES nancy

--
Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Kenneth

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:10:01 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 19:47:47 -0400, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>Howdy,
>>
>>What you are looking for is a mandoline.
>> ^
>>
>>For mandolins

>Same thing. "mandoline" is the French spelling; "mandolin" is the
>preferred English spelling.
>
>(or were you being facetious?)

Hi Denny,

Not facetious at all...

According to the two dictionaries I just checked, I had it
right (US, by the way, I pretend no knowledge of UK usage on
this.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth

grawun

As my hands get more arthritic it is harder for me to hold onto the
knife to slice and dice. I love my mandolin and my salad shooter.
Wonderful tools and very easy to clean.