Amarantha

Default Appliance recommendations?

We finally bought a house! So that's kind of exciting and scary all at
once. But now we have to renovate.

We find the standard 60cm oven a little small - it won't fit two stewpots
unless we sit one right on the bottom and keep switching them. So we were
going to get a 90cm one like my Mum's, but she said it's not very deep,
even though it's wide.

Then we wandered into an appliance shop that we normally just walk past, to
get some ideas, and naturally fell in love with the most expensive one
there It's 110cm with two ovens, a separate grill and a wok burner, but
costs as much as Mum's entire kitchen.

Does anyone have any experience with the Falcon brand, and know whether
it's reasonable value for money? We will be looking for cheap sales at
auction houses and the like, but it might be unusual enough that we
wouldn't find one that way.

The one we saw is he
http://www.andico.com.au/default.asp?newsID=96577
I believe they have similar ones in slightly different configurations.

Thanks for any advice

nil illegitimi carborundum
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article . 170>,
Amarantha > wrote:

> We finally bought a house! So that's kind of exciting and scary all at
> once. But now we have to renovate.
>
> We find the standard 60cm oven a little small - it won't fit two stewpots
> unless we sit one right on the bottom and keep switching them. So we were
> going to get a 90cm one like my Mum's, but she said it's not very deep,
> even though it's wide.
>
> Then we wandered into an appliance shop that we normally just walk past, to
> get some ideas, and naturally fell in love with the most expensive one
> there It's 110cm with two ovens, a separate grill and a wok burner, but
> costs as much as Mum's entire kitchen.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with the Falcon brand, and know whether
> it's reasonable value for money? We will be looking for cheap sales at
> auction houses and the like, but it might be unusual enough that we
> wouldn't find one that way.
>
> The one we saw is he
> http://www.andico.com.au/default.asp?newsID=96577
> I believe they have similar ones in slightly different configurations.
>
> Thanks for any advice

I'm not familiar with that stove, but buying a stove is a long term
commitment. They will last 20 or 30 years, so get the best you can
afford, not the cheapest you can get. :-) Break it down into dollars per
year.

You'll be a LOT happier in the long run if you get what you want!

I know it's unrelated, but that's what I considered when I replaced my
commode. Those will literally last a lifetime (excluding replacing tank
fixtures from time to time) so I did not hesitate to pay $300.00 for the
one I really wanted!

I also paid $1,200 for my glass top GE stove because it was what I would
be happiest with, and $800.00 for my frontloader washing machine. My
mom's last front loader lasted 25 years with only minor repairs.

You get what you pay for.
You will regret it for YEARS if you settle for something else!

Cheers!
--
Om.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 21 Aug 2005 08:35:16p, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article . 170>,
> Amarantha > wrote:
>
>> We finally bought a house! So that's kind of exciting and scary all at
>> once. But now we have to renovate.
>>
>> We find the standard 60cm oven a little small - it won't fit two
>> stewpots unless we sit one right on the bottom and keep switching them.
>> So we were going to get a 90cm one like my Mum's, but she said it's
>> not very deep, even though it's wide.
>>
>> Then we wandered into an appliance shop that we normally just walk
>> past, to get some ideas, and naturally fell in love with the most
>> expensive one there It's 110cm with two ovens, a separate grill and
>> a wok burner, but costs as much as Mum's entire kitchen.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with the Falcon brand, and know whether
>> it's reasonable value for money? We will be looking for cheap sales at
>> auction houses and the like, but it might be unusual enough that we
>> wouldn't find one that way.
>>
>> The one we saw is he
>> http://www.andico.com.au/default.asp?newsID=96577 I believe they have
>> similar ones in slightly different configurations.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice

> I'm not familiar with that stove, but buying a stove is a long term
> commitment. They will last 20 or 30 years, so get the best you can
> afford, not the cheapest you can get. :-) Break it down into dollars per
> year.
>
> You'll be a LOT happier in the long run if you get what you want!
>
> I know it's unrelated, but that's what I considered when I replaced my
> commode. Those will literally last a lifetime (excluding replacing tank
> fixtures from time to time) so I did not hesitate to pay $300.00 for the
> one I really wanted!
>
> I also paid $1,200 for my glass top GE stove because it was what I would
> be happiest with, and $800.00 for my frontloader washing machine. My
> mom's last front loader lasted 25 years with only minor repairs.
>
> You get what you pay for.
> You will regret it for YEARS if you settle for something else!
>
> Cheers!

At a price of over $2,700. USD, it's probably a pretty good range.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four,
unless there are three other people.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-5, 08/20/2005
Tested on: 8/21/2005 8:41:20 PM

sf

On 22 Aug 2005 01:50:53 GMT, wrote:

> We finally bought a house! So that's kind of exciting and scary all at
> once. But now we have to renovate.

Congratulations on the new home! Renovating is stimulating. I'd
rather do that than move into a home where I didn't have a say in what
it looked like.
<snip>

> Does anyone have any experience with the Falcon brand, and know whether
> it's reasonable value for money? We will be looking for cheap sales at
> auction houses and the like, but it might be unusual enough that we
> wouldn't find one that way.
>
> The one we saw is he
> http://www.andico.com.au/default.asp?newsID=96577
> I believe they have similar ones in slightly different configurations.

Are you in Canada, Amarantha? I'm not familiar with that brand.
Mr Libido Incognito

sf wrote on 22 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Are you in Canada, Amarantha? I'm not familiar with that brand.

Looks more like ozzie stuff.

AGA who manufactures the Falcon has a good rep.
But the stove looks a little too big for a family of four.
Have you considered buying a different shaped/sized stew pot?
Might be more cost effective.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.

Amarantha

Mr Libido Incognito > wrote in
:

> sf wrote on 22 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Are you in Canada, Amarantha? I'm not familiar with that brand.
>>

> Looks more like ozzie stuff.
>
> AGA who manufactures the Falcon has a good rep.
> But the stove looks a little too big for a family of four.
> Have you considered buying a different shaped/sized stew pot?
> Might be more cost effective.

Ya, Australian. Well, I'm in Australia, but I believe the brand is a
British import.

There are only two of us (so far), but we cook a lot, often large pot-
roast/stew type things whose leftovers we freeze for lunches. We're likely
to need both ovens whenever we're entertaining, plus we sometimes cook
ourselves separate things, depending on our tastes and moods.

Oh, and I'd like to see you pry sheol's Le Chasseur french oven from his
passionate grip

Thanks for the advice, though We thought it looked like a quality
piece, but we thought we should ask around and make sure.

nil illegitimi carborundum
Amarantha

Pixmaker > wrote in
:

> Idea:
>
> If you will use gas for cooking, try the yellow pages for places that
> sell used restaurant equipment. Here in the USA, far too many
> restaurants fail after a few months of operation and there seems to be
> a plentiful supply of very slightly used but excellent commercial
> stoves, ovens and combinations available.
>
> Those things are built to last for a very long time and might give you
> more for your money than a domestic version.

Ooo, good point. We have actually discussed the possibility of a
commercial unit, and what might be required in the way of kitchen
reinforcement to install one (in fact, I believe there was a thread on here
which gave us some inspiration). I shall mention it to sheol and see what
he says. Because our love for this product is really due to its size,
power and practicality as much as for its looks.

Thanks,

nil illegitimi carborundum
Edwin Pawlowski

"sd" > wrote in message news:sd55117-

>> We have actually discussed the possibility of a
>> commercial unit,

> Might want to mention it to whoever provides insurance for your
> house; some insurance companies will refuse to cover commercial
> stoves in a residence unless properly uninstalled -- and sometimes
> not even then.
>
> sd

This was posted some time back:

I was checking on fire resistance for another post, and came across these
two requirements in the 2003 International Building Standards (the new US
building code)

It seems that you cannot legally have a true commercial range in your
house -

(code appliances include ranges and cooktops)

G2447.2 (623.2) Prohibited location. Cooking appliances designed,

tested, listed and labeled for use in commercial occupancies

shall not be installed within dwelling units or within

any area where domestic cooking operations occur.

G2447.3 (623.3) Domestic appliances. Cooking appliances

installed within dwelling units and within areas where domestic

cooking operations occur shall be listed and labeled as

household-type appliances for domestic use.

--------------

The disclaimer: this is not a legal or professional opinion.

Amarantha

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
:

> "sd" > wrote in message news:sd55117-
>
>>> We have actually discussed the possibility of a
>>> commercial unit,

>> Might want to mention it to whoever provides insurance for your
>> house; some insurance companies will refuse to cover commercial
>> stoves in a residence unless properly uninstalled -- and sometimes
>> not even then.
>>
>> sd

> This was posted some time back:
>
> I was checking on fire resistance for another post, and came across
> these two requirements in the 2003 International Building Standards
> (the new US building code)
>
> It seems that you cannot legally have a true commercial range in your
> house -
>
> (code appliances include ranges and cooktops)

Yep, we will have to do some research and find out what the legal and
insurance issues are here (we're in Australia). The laws may be
different here, but I don't doubt that laws exist - we just have to learn
what they are

nil illegitimi carborundum