Old 05-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default How do you say cauliflower

jmcquown wrote:

Two women in an airport, one of them from the south. She says to the
northern woman, where are you from? The northern woman looks down her nose
and says snootily "I am FROM a place where we don't end a sentence with a
preposition". The southern woman thinks for a moment, then says, "Okay,
where you from, Bitch?"

That's not the 2 women at the airport joke. That one goes like this:

Two women are chatting while waiting for a flight at the airport. One
says that she's from such a small town that no one ever locks their car
doors-- except in the summer. The other nods sympathetically and says
crime must increase in the tourist season. "No, no," exclaims the
other. "It's just that someone might come and fill it with zucchini."

--Lia

Old 05-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Mike Pearce

"Denise~*" wrote in message
"Mike Pearce" wrote:

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people

from

Northwest. Born & raised

There goes my Notheast theory. I guess you just talk funny. g

The english (England) notoriously add an R to words that end in A.

Same thing in Boston. Though a strong Boston accent isn't as common as it
was when I was a kid you'll hear people with the accent say "ideer" rather
than idea. I used to do it and still do on occasion.

-Mike

Old 05-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Nancy Dooley

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message r.com...
"Denise~*" wrote in message

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
more like the way I do.

Is this a regional thing?

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

I don't know anyone who says "caul-eee-flower." Around here, the i is
a short i, as in "bin." Call-i-flower.

N.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:20 PM
limey

"Denise~*" wrote in message

The english (England) notoriously add an R to words that end in A.

I guess I'm just not used to hearing it over here.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

That's news to me, Denise. I say "ideah", and pronounce "war" with no
emphasis on the "r". Do you have examples - and what part of England,
since accents vary a great deal?

Dora

Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Derek N.P.F. Juhl

Denise~* wrote in message . ..

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

I pronunce the first syllable "kah," and the "i" in the second
syllable as in "pit."

From www.dictionary.com :

cau·li·flow·er [Probably alteration (influenced by flower), of New
Latin cauliflora Latin caulis, stem + Latin fls, flr-, flower; see
flower.]

Derek Juhl
Old 05-08-2004, 05:20 PM
Default User

sf wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:50:50 -0700, Denise~*
wrote:

I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

Really??? They say Colleeflower up there? I don't believe
you!

I lived in the midwest and then california for most of my
life. The ONLY person I can think of who has ever said it
that way is "Arnie", the governator.

Hehe. I feel like I'm reading alt.usage.english. They love this kind of
thing.

BTW, I more or less schwa out that vowel, something like coll-uh-flower.

Brian Rodenborn

Old 05-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Bob Myers

"jmcquown" wrote in message

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

nancy

Collie-flower to me, too.

OK, so put me down as one vote "against," then; to
me, it's a lot more like "call-a-flower." The long "e"
sounds wrong to me, too.

This most likely IS a regional thing. However, I do
note (with some smugness...:-)) that the American Heritage
dictionary seems to agree with me. This is also what
you'd expect from their report on the etymology of the
word, from the Italian "cavolo" (cabbage), in turn from
the Latin "caulus" or "caulis" ("stem"), plus "flos" (Latin)
later "fiore" (Ital.) or "flor" (Old French), "flower." In other
words, it's a "stem flower," or "cabbage flower."

I guess I'll have to wait until I get home to get out the big
Webster's for the definitive answer...;-)

Bob M.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Bob Myers

"Denise~*" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

Methinks you may be misreading your Webster's.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

Same here. It's apparently supposed to be the "i"
as in "pit" or "if". An "ih" sort of sound, like "ick."

Bob M.

Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Bob Myers

"sf" wrote in message
The only person I know of who calls it cawLEEflower is my
governator. The BIG difference among mere mortals is how to
pronounce the "au" part. Is it culliflower or calliflower?
I say culliflower.

American Heritage claims it to be the "aw" sound
as in "paw". Cawl-ih-flower

Again, I'll be checking with Mr. Webster's Big Book
of Lots and Lots of Words later on....;-)

Bob M.

Old 05-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Denise~*

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:20:55 -0400, "limey" wrote:

That's news to me, Denise. I say "ideah", and pronounce "war" with no
emphasis on the "r". Do you have examples - and what part of England,
since accents vary a great deal?

When I listen to LedZeppelin! :-)

Okay, Okay, I'll explain.

Robert Plant says "Mama" a lot in the songs, and it comes out "Momar"
The R is very faint, but it's there! I have heard it in other ways
too, but I cannot think of any other examples at the moment.
It's not like adding an R to "Idea", to make "Idear". It's more of an
inflection in the voice that always seems to be there.
Really and for true!

I believe Robert is from Worcester or Worchestire?

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 126 18-09-2013 05:55 PM
Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM