FoodBanter.com

-   -   How do you say cauliflower (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/30274-how-do-you-say.html)

Denise~* 04-08-2004 10:32 PM

How do you say cauliflower

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
more like the way I do.

Is this a regional thing?

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

zxcvbob 04-08-2004 10:36 PM

How do you say cauliflower

Denise~* wrote:

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
more like the way I do.

Is this a regional thing?

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

When my daughter was about 3 years old and it was one of her favorite
foods, we called it "Carly-flower". (she had a friend named Carly).

You do what you gotta do to get kids to like vegetables.

Hope this helps, :-)
Bob

Nancy Young 04-08-2004 10:36 PM

How do you say cauliflower

Denise~* wrote:

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.

nancy

Peter Aitken 04-08-2004 11:19 PM

How do you say cauliflower

"Denise~*" wrote in message

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
more like the way I do.

Is this a regional thing?

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

--
Peter Aitken

limey 04-08-2004 11:48 PM

How do you say cauliflower

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
Denise~* wrote:

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

nancy

Collie-flower to me, too.

Dora

jmcquown 05-08-2004 12:06 AM

How do you say cauliflower

Denise~* wrote:

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like
"eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

nancy

Collie-flower to me, too.

Dora

Yep, collie-flower :)

Jill (who can't figure out where the LIBRARY is)

Denise~* 05-08-2004 12:17 AM

How do you say cauliflower

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
"i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

PENMART01 05-08-2004 12:33 AM

How do you say cauliflower

Denise~*

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Why are you asking here, and why does it matter here (no one here hears
anyone's pronunciation - fortunately). It's obvious you don't know how to use
a dictionary (unfortunately).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon