Old 12-09-2013, 02:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 02:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

--

They never drop too much in price here, so I relish them as they are,
same with asparagus.

Ok

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:09:43 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make

it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in

oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

My two favorite ways are a cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice.

For the mashed cauliflower I cook the cauliflower, chopped, in boiling salted water till it is quite tender. I usually put ONE good sized russet potato in with the cauliflower to cook.
Drain and mash with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper and some chopped parsley.

For cauliflower 'rice', grate the cauliflower with a box grater or the grating insert for your
food processor. Cook it in a large skillet with a little butter, salt and pepper till it is barely tender, don't overcook it. Makes a great 'rice' to serve with any dish you normally would serve with rice.

I eat low carb so cauliflower is on my menu regularly.

I also love it roasted as in this recipe. This is a favorite way to roast it.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...ed-cauliflower

Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-12 9:56 AM, Susan wrote:

It's not bland roasted at high heat til it carmelizes. I add evoo, s
and fgbp, and like to roast it with whole shallots at 425f.

I also like it cooked til soft (microwave) then pureed with butter, s
and fgbp.

It's great baked with some butter, minced garlic, s and fgbp a splash of
heavy cream and a ton of shredded gruyere.

I don't think it is bland, especially if steamed until just cooked. I
would call it mild tasting but I like the taste. I have not tried
roasting it but I have marinated in yogurt and curry powder and grilled
it. That was very tasty.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks very much, Mags! All saved)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

It's not at all bland, it has a somewhat cabbage flavor. Certainly it
can be enhanced with various additions, or as someone noted roasting
which always adds flavor.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
make it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese
sauce on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I
make quite often but here is a favorite.

Indian Cauliflower With Egg
I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and
cheap and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good and
is reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately frequently.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one container
of Better 'n Eggs)
1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)

The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable shortening,
I microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the garlic in an
olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion showed
browning. Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and cauliflower. Mix
and cook on medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well and cook 'til done
(about 4 minutes more).

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote in message
On 12-Sep-2013, "Ophelia" wrote:

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
to make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Roasting it adds great flavor. The recipe follows:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Olive Oil and Capers

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

1 head cauliflower -- (2-pound) green leaves discarded
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice -- or to taste
1 tablespoon drained small capers (packed in brine)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450F. Lightly oil
a 9-inch pie plate or square baking dish.

Core cauliflower, leaving head intact, then discard core and put
cauliflower head in pan. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over top of
cauliflower and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake until tender, 1 to
1 1/4 hours. Transfer to a serving dish.

Whisk together lemon juice, capers, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon
salt in a small bowl, then whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil.

Surround cauliflower with parsley sprigs and drizzle cauliflower and
parsley with dressing.

"Roasting a whole head of cauliflower at high heat creates beautifully
caramelized florets. It's perfectly offset by fresh parsley and a
drizzle of a quick lemon dressing."
Source:
"Gourmet | November 2006"
S(Internet Address):

"http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Roasted-Cauliflower-with-Olive-Oil-and-Capers-236377"

Thanks 'I' that sounds really good ) Saved
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

It's not at all bland, it has a somewhat cabbage flavor. Certainly it
can be enhanced with various additions, or as someone noted roasting
which always adds flavor.

Yes

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for posting, James. We don't eat spicy foods but I am sure someone
will enjoy
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

[...]

Oh, how much are you missing! Condolences :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

g Each to his/her own eh?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 12-09-2013, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I steam it, along with 3-4 cloves of garlic. Then I mash it with a
potato masher and add a packet of chicken bouillon powder, a
good-sized dollop of cream cheese, and some caramelized chopped onion.

I don't care for the texture if it's pureed - that's why I mash it.

Doris

Old 12-09-2013, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message

Recipe for "fauxtato salad." please?

It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub cauliflower
for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small florets, then
cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and cool, and at that
point proceed with whatever you use when making your potato salad. I use
lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo, pickles, etc. It's really
good, and my whole family likes it.

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

Recipe for "fauxtato salad." please?

It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub
cauliflower for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small
florets, then cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and
cool, and at that point proceed with whatever you use when making your
potato salad. I use lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo,
pickles, etc. It's really good, and my whole family likes it.

Thanks! I'll try that this weekend
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM
How do you say cauliflower Denise~* General Cooking 77 09-08-2004 04:10 PM