Denise~*

Default How do you say cauliflower

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
"i", like "ee"

cawleeflower

To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
more like the way I do.

Is this a regional thing?

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
zxcvbob

Denise~* wrote:

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.
>
> Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
> it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
> more like the way I do.
>
> Is this a regional thing?
>
> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

When my daughter was about 3 years old and it was one of her favorite
foods, we called it "Carly-flower". (she had a friend named Carly).

You do what you gotta do to get kids to like vegetables.

Hope this helps, :-)
Bob
zxcvbob

Denise~* wrote:

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.
>
> Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
> it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
> more like the way I do.
>
> Is this a regional thing?
>
> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

When my daughter was about 3 years old and it was one of her favorite
foods, we called it "Carly-flower". (she had a friend named Carly).

You do what you gotta do to get kids to like vegetables.

Hope this helps, :-)
Bob
Nancy Young

Denise~* wrote:

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.

nancy
Nancy Young

Denise~* wrote:

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
called anything else.

> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.

nancy

Peter Aitken

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.
>
> Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
> it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
> more like the way I do.
>
> Is this a regional thing?

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> "i", like "ee"
>
> cawleeflower
>
> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.
>
> Rachael Ray does this, & I just heard the lady on "Low Carb & Lovin
> it" say the same thing, but then a minute later said it again, but
> more like the way I do.
>
> Is this a regional thing?

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

--
Peter Aitken

limey

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
> Denise~* wrote:
> >
> > I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
> >
> > But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
> > "i", like "ee"
> >
> > cawleeflower
> >
> > To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

> It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
> called anything else.
>
> nancy

Collie-flower to me, too.

Dora

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>> Denise~* wrote:
>>>
>>> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like
>>> "eh"
>>>
>>> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
>>> "i", like "ee"
>>>
>>> cawleeflower
>>>
>>> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

>> It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
>> called anything else.
>>
>> nancy

> Collie-flower to me, too.
>
> Dora

Yep, collie-flower

Jill (who can't figure out where the LIBRARY is)

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>> Denise~* wrote:
>>>
>>> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like
>>> "eh"
>>>
>>> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
>>> "i", like "ee"
>>>
>>> cawleeflower
>>>
>>> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

>> It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
>> called anything else.
>>
>> nancy

> Collie-flower to me, too.
>
> Dora

Yep, collie-flower

Jill (who can't figure out where the LIBRARY is)

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>> Denise~* wrote:
>>>
>>> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like
>>> "eh"
>>>
>>> But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
>>> "i", like "ee"
>>>
>>> cawleeflower
>>>
>>> To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

>> It's collie-flower, as everyone knows. (smile) I never heard it
>> called anything else.
>>
>> nancy

> Collie-flower to me, too.
>
> Dora

Yep, collie-flower

Jill (who can't figure out where the LIBRARY is)

Denise~*

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
"i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
"i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
PENMART01

>Denise~*
>
>I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
>But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
>"i", like "ee"
>
>cawleeflower
>
>To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Why are you asking here, and why does it matter here (no one here hears
anyone's pronunciation - fortunately). It's obvious you don't know how to use
a dictionary (unfortunately).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Denise~*
>
>I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>
>But when I hear it said with the "u" pronounced as a 'w' and a short
>"i", like "ee"
>
>cawleeflower
>
>To me, this sounds very weird & makes me cringe.

Why are you asking here, and why does it matter here (no one here hears
anyone's pronunciation - fortunately). It's obvious you don't know how to use
a dictionary (unfortunately).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Peter Aitken

"Denise~*" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> >No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

> So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
> as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
> word "ick"

Yep.

> When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
> in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
> My Websters dictionary says the same thing.
>
> This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
> "i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
hit the nail on the head, IMO.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Denise~*" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> >No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

> So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
> as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
> word "ick"

Yep.

> When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
> in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
> My Websters dictionary says the same thing.
>
> This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
> "i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
hit the nail on the head, IMO.

--
Peter Aitken

Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:08:40 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
>from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
>that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
>version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
>hit the nail on the head, IMO.

It must be a regional thing then.

I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

I think there is a song written on this very subject.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:08:40 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
>from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
>that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
>version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
>hit the nail on the head, IMO.

It must be a regional thing then.

I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

I think there is a song written on this very subject.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Mike Pearce

"Denise~*" wrote in message

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people from
both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that. How
would you pronounce "talk"?

> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
though, unless I'm tired or excited. <g>

-Mike

Mike Pearce

"Denise~*" wrote in message

> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people from
both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that. How
would you pronounce "talk"?

> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> especially since she used to work at a Library.

When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
though, unless I'm tired or excited. <g>

-Mike

Ray

I usually say, "Ewwww. Don't give me any Cauliflower."

"Mike Pearce" > wrote in message
> "Denise~*" wrote in message
> >
> > I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
> >

> Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people

from
> both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that.

How
> would you pronounce "talk"?
>

> > Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
> > (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
> > especially since she used to work at a Library.

> When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
> every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
> accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
> the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
> hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
> though, unless I'm tired or excited. <g>
>
> -Mike

Michael Odom

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:36:59 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
>'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.
>
>nancy

An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"

Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
preposition."

"Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
Michael Odom

wrote:

>Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
>'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.
>
>nancy

An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"

Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
preposition."

"Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:17:49 -0700, Denise~*

> >No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

> So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
> as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
> word "ick"

When you write a capital I, it's pronounced "eye".... but I
know you meant /ee/ as in "see"..

> When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
> in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
> My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

<Nodding> broccoli is pronounced brahK-O-lee
http://12.129.203.36/cgi-bin/diction...coli&x=18&y=12

> This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
> "i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

Correct. The "i" in cauliflower is a short "i" as in "ick"
and pig.

The only person I know of who calls it cawLEEflower is my
governator. The BIG difference among mere mortals is how to
pronounce the "au" part. Is it culliflower or calliflower?
I say culliflower.

sf

jmcquown

Michael Odom wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:36:59 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:
>
>> Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
>> 'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.
>>
>> nancy

> An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
> a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"
>
> Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
> preposition."
>
> "Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"
>

> modom
>
> "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Nonsense! The joke goes like this:

Two women in an airport, one of them from the south. She says to the
northern woman, where are you from? The northern woman looks down her nose
and says snootily "I am FROM a place where we don't end a sentence with a
preposition". The southern woman thinks for a moment, then says, "Okay,
where you from, Bitch?"

Jill

zxcvbob

jmcquown wrote:
> Michael Odom wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:36:59 -0400, Nancy Young >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
>>>'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.
>>>
>>>nancy

>>An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
>>a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"
>>
>>Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
>>preposition."
>>
>>"Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"
>>

>>modom
>>
>>"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
>> -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

> Nonsense! The joke goes like this:
>
> Two women in an airport, one of them from the south. She says to the
> northern woman, where are you from? The northern woman looks down her nose
> and says snootily "I am FROM a place where we don't end a sentence with a
> preposition". The southern woman thinks for a moment, then says, "Okay,
> where you from, Bitch?"
>
> Jill

I've always heard it as an Aggie joke. Pretty much just like Michael
told it. (it gets funnier every time I hear it)

Best regards,
Bob, Class of '82
Denise~*

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:08:23 -0500, "Mike Pearce"
> wrote:

>"Denise~*" wrote in message
.. .

>> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"
>>

>Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people from

Northwest. Born & raised

>both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that. How
>would you pronounce "talk"?

Silent L & Flat A = Tahhk (but said quickly, no drawl)

>> Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
>> (ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
>> especially since she used to work at a Library.

>When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
>every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
>accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
>the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
>hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
>though, unless I'm tired or excited. <g>
>
>-Mike

Hehe, but my friend lived 10 minutes from me by bicycle & also grew up
in the same area as me. I tease her about it & then we giggle.

I think it's different in your case with a strong accent.

The english (England) notoriously add an R to words that end in A.

I guess I'm just not used to hearing it over here.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 04:00:31 GMT, sf > wrote:

>Correct. The "i" in cauliflower is a short "i" as in "ick"
>and pig.

Thank you, finally somebody who see's in my way :-)

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
-L. :

Denise~* > wrote in message >. ..
> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

I'm with you.

Call-a-flower (flat "a"s), sort of.

-L.
(Born and raised in the midwest, transplanted all over the US, currently PNWer)
-L. :

Denise~* > wrote in message >. ..
> I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

I'm with you.

Call-a-flower (flat "a"s), sort of.

-L.
(Born and raised in the midwest, transplanted all over the US, currently PNWer)
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:50:50 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

> I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

Really??? They say Colleeflower up there? I don't believe
you!

I lived in the midwest and then california for most of my
life. The ONLY person I can think of who has ever said it
that way is "Arnie", the governator.

sf
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:50:50 -0700, Denise~*
> wrote:

> I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

Really??? They say Colleeflower up there? I don't believe
you!

I lived in the midwest and then california for most of my
life. The ONLY person I can think of who has ever said it
that way is "Arnie", the governator.

sf

Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:02:15 GMT, sf > wrote:

>> I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

>Really??? They say Colleeflower up there? I don't believe
>you!
>
>I lived in the midwest and then california for most of my
>life. The ONLY person I can think of who has ever said it
>that way is "Arnie", the governator.

No, my way is the other way.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:02:15 GMT, sf > wrote:

>> I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

>Really??? They say Colleeflower up there? I don't believe
>you!
>
>I lived in the midwest and then california for most of my
>life. The ONLY person I can think of who has ever said it
>that way is "Arnie", the governator.

No, my way is the other way.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"
Nancree

Check out http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/C0171900.wav

for pronumciation of "cauliflower".
Nancree
Nancree

Check out http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/C0171900.wav

for pronumciation of "cauliflower".
Nancree
Nancree

Check out http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/C0171900.wav

for pronumciation of "cauliflower".
Nancree

Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 126 18-09-2013 05:55 PM
Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM