Old 05-08-2004, 01:08 AM
Peter Aitken

Default How do you say cauliflower

"Denise~*" wrote in message
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:19:02 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

Yep.

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
"i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
hit the nail on the head, IMO.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 05-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Denise~*

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 00:08:40 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
wrote:

It is according to my dictionary - which, since it seems to be different
from yours, tells me that the pronounciation is variable. But I will say
that it many years of living in the northeast and south I have heard your
version very rarely. The other poster who described it as "collie-flower"
hit the nail on the head, IMO.

It must be a regional thing then.

I have grown up my entire life hearing it my way, in the northWEST :-)

I think there is a song written on this very subject.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Old 05-08-2004, 02:08 AM
Mike Pearce

"Denise~*" wrote in message

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people from
both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that. How
would you pronounce "talk"?

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
though, unless I'm tired or excited. g

-Mike

Old 05-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Ray

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

I usually say, "Ewwww. Don't give me any Cauliflower."

"Mike Pearce" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Old 05-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Michael Odom

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 17:36:59 -0400, Nancy Young
wrote:

Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.

nancy

An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"

Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
preposition."

"Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Old 05-08-2004, 05:00 AM
sf

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:17:49 -0700, Denise~*

No, it's a "correct" thing. At least my Webster's claims it is.

So what you are saying is, it is correct to say the "i" in cauliflower
as an short "e" like the "i" in broccoli, instead of the 'I' in the
word "ick"

When you write a capital I, it's pronounced "eye".... but I
know you meant /ee/ as in "see"..

When I look on www.dictionary.com the Pronunciation Key for the "i"
in cauliflower is different than the "i" in broccoli
My Websters dictionary says the same thing.

Nodding broccoli is pronounced brahK-O-lee
http://12.129.203.36/cgi-bin/diction...coli&x=18&y=12

This is what I'm talking about is people who stress the "i" like the
"i" in broccoli. This is not correct.

Correct. The "i" in cauliflower is a short "i" as in "ick"
and pig.

The only person I know of who calls it cawLEEflower is my
governator. The BIG difference among mere mortals is how to
pronounce the "au" part. Is it culliflower or calliflower?
I say culliflower.

sf

Old 05-08-2004, 05:24 AM
jmcquown

wrote:

Grrrr. But then I'm very busy being annoyed at people who say
'where's it at' ... I don't have time for the Libary people.

nancy

An Aggie goes to Harvard. His first day there he gets lost. He stops
a passing professor and asks "Where's the library at?"

Prof replies "Son at Harvard we don't end a sentence with a
preposition."

"Okay, where's the library at, asshole?"

modom

"Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
-- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

Nonsense! The joke goes like this:

Two women in an airport, one of them from the south. She says to the
northern woman, where are you from? The northern woman looks down her nose
and says snootily "I am FROM a place where we don't end a sentence with a
preposition". The southern woman thinks for a moment, then says, "Okay,
where you from, Bitch?"

Jill

Old 05-08-2004, 05:32 AM
zxcvbob

wrote:

[...]

I've always heard it as an Aggie joke. Pretty much just like Michael
told it. (it gets funnier every time I hear it)

Best regards,
Bob, Class of '82
Old 05-08-2004, 06:34 AM
Denise~*

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:08:23 -0500, "Mike Pearce"
wrote:

"Denise~*" wrote in message
.. .

I tend to say it with a long "a" like "ahh" and a flat "i", like "eh"

Where did you grow up? I'm originally from Boston and have heard people from

Northwest. Born & raised

both Rhode Island as well as western Mass use pronunciations like that. How
would you pronounce "talk"?

Silent L & Flat A = Tahhk (but said quickly, no drawl)

Or is it similar to replacing the "r" in library with an "e"
(ie; "libery"). Ug, my friend does this & it drives me nuts,
especially since she used to work at a Library.

When I was younger I had the classic Boston accent. I dropped just about
every R except those at the beginning of a word. For someone with a Boston
accent it can be very difficult to pronounce properly are words with Rs in
the middle. Words like library and harbor. For me it used to be libery and
hahhba. Those words still give me trouble. I pronounce car just fine
though, unless I'm tired or excited. g

-Mike

Hehe, but my friend lived 10 minutes from me by bicycle & also grew up
in the same area as me. I tease her about it & then we giggle.

I think it's different in your case with a strong accent.

The english (England) notoriously add an R to words that end in A.

I guess I'm just not used to hearing it over here.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...
A true friend will be sitting next to you saying,
"Damn...that was fun!"

Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 126 18-09-2013 05:55 PM
Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM