Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Skirt steaks and flank steaks

Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the region
your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote

> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> region
> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to San
Antonio's Flank steaks.

If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 2:02*pm, wrote:
> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the region
> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

This page shows you a diagram/picture of where they are from and gives
brief descriptions:
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefB&F.html

They are close neighbors, skirt being the diaphragm, flank being part
of the same flank/belly area. Both are tough/chewy with good taste/
flavor. Flank is grainier. Both need to be cooked fast and briefly,
as on a quite hot grill or griddle, or they become quite tough. Think
fajitas for the skirt steak, stir fry for the flank steak thinly
sliced against the grain. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:26:58 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> > wrote
>
>> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
>> region
>> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to San
> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>
> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.

Skirt steak has slightly more fat and can be trenbder when cooked
properly. Flank steak is much more dense with a finer grain and can
never be as tender as skirt.

Skirt steak is better, IMO.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 17, 7:50*pm, Arri London > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the region
> > your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

> Skirt steak is the diaphragm, flank steak is from the side/flank of the
> cow. They are both stewing meats but can be grilled too.

The grain so clearly runs in one direction on a flank steak. They're
very lean, and Charcoal/wood grilled rare to MR, you can take a super
sharp knife to one and slice it super thin crossways. They're always
expensive here in StL. Other cities I visit, that's usually not the
case. When I'm elsewhere I'm usually in a hotel room, with no access
to a grill. Skirt steak is completely unavailable here unless you go
to a Mexican Carniceria (sp?).

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.ochef.com/66.htm
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+a+skirt+steak%3F

Yes. Flank is pretty thick (3/4 to 1 inch)and wonderful for London
broil or bulgoki. Grilled and sliced thinly at an angle across the
grain, it is tasty and fairly tender.

Skirt steak is a very thin cut from the diaphragm and really good in
fajitas or carne asada.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> region
> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> region
> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/chef/cuts.php

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck said...

> > wrote in message
>> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
>> region
>> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Kswck,

Makes ya want to frame those charts and hang them all around your kitchen,
don't it?

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 6:37*am, Andy > wrote:
> Kswck said...
>

> > > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> >> region
> >> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

> >http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

> Kswck,
>
> Makes ya want to frame those charts and hang them all around your kitchen,
> don't it?

Know what I haven't seen in many years? Bone-in sirloin steak.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> Know what I haven't seen in many years? Bone-in sirloin steak.

I don't think I've ever seen it.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:05:11 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:26:58 -0400, cshenk wrote:
>
>> > wrote
>>
>>> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
>>> region
>>> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

>> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to San
>> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>>
>> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.
>
> Skirt steak has slightly more fat and can be trenbder when cooked
> properly. Flank steak is much more dense with a finer grain and can
> never be as tender as skirt.
>
> Skirt steak is better, IMO.
>
> -sw

skirt steak is also damned expensive where i live (md) - like eight or nine
dollars a pound.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> >> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to
> >> San
> >> Antonio's Flank steaks.
> >>
> >> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

> > They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
> > opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.
> >
> > Skirt steak has slightly more fat and can be trenbder when cooked
> > properly. Flank steak is much more dense with a finer grain and can
> > never be as tender as skirt.
> >
> > Skirt steak is better, IMO.
> >
> > -sw

> skirt steak is also damned expensive where i live (md) - like eight or nine
> dollars a pound.
>
> your pal,
> blake

It's not cheap here either and it's so tough, I don't understand why.
It's grossly over-rated and I won't buy it on a bet! Dad bought some
recently and, while the flavor was good, I'd rather spend that kind of
money on rib eye, t-bone or strip.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> region
> your i?

No - although from the same region not the same.

http://www.angus.org/pubs/beefchart.pdf
Skirt is a # 121 cut (NAMP)
the flank is # 193 cut (NAMP)

I prefer the skirt

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
> region
> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

Whoops:
http://www.angus.org/pubs/beefchart.pdf

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 17 May 2009 17:26:58 -0400, cshenk wrote:
>
>> > wrote
>>
>>> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
>>> region
>>> your i? If not, which is a better cut? Thanks.

>> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to San
>> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>>
>> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.
>
> Skirt steak has slightly more fat and can be trenbder when cooked
> properly. Flank steak is much more dense with a finer grain and can
> never be as tender as skirt.
>
> Skirt steak is better, IMO.
>
> -sw

And mo better with some chimichurri sauce!

-dk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to
>> San
>> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.

Not here they don't. No one said they had to be accurate though at Food
Lion etc ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 8:09*am, Omelet > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
>
> > Know what I haven't seen in many years? *Bone-in sirloin steak.

> I don't think I've ever seen it.

Really? It had these boned that were...wait, let me try to find a pic

The one labeled UNLM at Cross-section F. The flat bone sirloin.
http://www.steakperfection.com/cut/Sirloin.html

Here we go. This is what we had when I wa a kid:
http://animalscience.unl.edu/meats/id/LOIN/Siflatbo.htm
> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 18, 6:20*pm, Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:
> On May 18, 8:09*am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Bobo Bonobo® > wrote:

> > > Know what I haven't seen in many years? *Bone-in sirloin steak.

> > I don't think I've ever seen it.

> Really? *It had these boned that were...wait, let me try to find a pic
>
> The one labeled UNLM at Cross-section F. *The flat bone sirloin.http://www.steakperfection.com/cut/Sirloin.html
>
> Here we go. This is what we had when I wa a kid:http://animalscience.unl.edu/meats/id/LOIN/Siflatbo.htm
>
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> --Bryan

I'll bet Straub's could get you one!

But at a price, of course.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 14:22:00 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

> On Sun, 17 May 2009 18:05:11 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Skirt steak is better, IMO.
>>
>> -sw

> skirt steak is also damned expensive where i live (md) - like eight or nine
> dollars a pound.

These are commodities in Texas. The price has steadily gone up to
$3.79/lb from 2.99/lb for the last 5 years, and they're never on
sale in their raw form. And you have to buy about 3.5lbs at a time
(2.5 large strips).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:17:03 -0400, cshenk wrote:

> "Sqwertz" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to
>>> San
>>> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>>> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

>> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
>> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.

> Not here they don't. No one said they had to be accurate though at Food
> Lion etc ;-)

You could always call them on it and see which one they start
selling at the lower price. Or higher. I always point out
mismarked meat cuts.

Costco used to label their hanger/flap as skirt - back in 1998.
Then I tried actual skirt and it was much trickier to cook. Hanger
steak/bottom sirloin flap beats the shit out of both skirt and
flank.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 May 2009 19:56:20 -0500, Andy wrote:

> An American Test Kitchen episode also ranked flank, skirt and hanger steaks
> in order of tenderness and flavor.
>
> 1. Flank
> 2. Skirt
> 3. Hanger

I'm wondering if you have that backwards. You probably do, knowing
you.

That list should read backward, IMO, and most other carnivores I
know. Got a cite for that list?

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009 19:17:03 -0400, cshenk wrote:

>>> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
>>> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.

>> Not here they don't. No one said they had to be accurate though at Food
>> Lion etc ;-)

> You could always call them on it and see which one they start
> selling at the lower price. Or higher. I always point out
> mismarked meat cuts.
>
> Costco used to label their hanger/flap as skirt - back in 1998.
> Then I tried actual skirt and it was much trickier to cook. Hanger
> steak/bottom sirloin flap beats the shit out of both skirt and
> flank.
>
> -sw

My HEB sells it as "sirloin fajita meat" and it is really good.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 May 2009 11:34:56 -0700, Dimitri wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Are they the same thing, just called on or the other depending on the
>> region
>> your i?

> No - although from the same region not the same.
>
> http://www.angus.org/pubs/beefchart.pdf
> Skirt is a # 121 cut (NAMP)
> the flank is # 193 cut (NAMP)
>
> I prefer the skirt
>
> Dimitri

i think it depends on what you want to cook. skirt may be better for
fajitas and the like, but you can't beat flank for london broil.

i have been puzzled by the recommendations for flank in chinese food (stir
fries). it seems to me that shreds, being a little thicker than how i
would slice flank, would be tougher. i usually use cheaper cuts of beef.
i guess the taste would be 'beefier' with flank, though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> They seem to be the same but called Skirt steaks here, and identical to
>>> San
>>> Antonio's Flank steaks.
>>>
>>> If there is a difference, I havent noted it in taste or cooking tactics.

>> They are certainly not the same. For one, their grains run in
>> opposite directions. Flank lengthwise, skirt crosswise.
>>
>> Skirt steak has slightly more fat and can be trenbder when cooked
>> properly. Flank steak is much more dense with a finer grain and can
>> never be as tender as skirt.
>>
>> Skirt steak is better, IMO.
>>
>> -sw

> skirt steak is also damned expensive where i live (md) - like eight or
> nine
> dollars a pound.
>
> your pal,
> blake

$4/lb here on sale. I buy in quantity. Skirt steak is good for stir fry or
with just some salt and pepper, on the grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> > skirt steak is also damned expensive where i live (md) - like eight or
> > nine
> > dollars a pound.
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

> $4/lb here on sale. I buy in quantity. Skirt steak is good for stir fry or
> with just some salt and pepper, on the grill.

Yabbut chuck is usually cheaper and imho a lot more tender, and just as
flavorful.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 16:35:51 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>i think it depends on what you want to cook. skirt may be better for
>fajitas and the like, but you can't beat flank for london broil.

Ugh! Flank steak as london broil? I read somewhere that real london
broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever they said) cooked between two
pieces of cheaper meat. Did you mean flank is the throw away meat?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 May 2009 16:35:51 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i think it depends on what you want to cook. skirt may be better for
>>fajitas and the like, but you can't beat flank for london broil.

> Ugh! Flank steak as london broil? I read somewhere that real london
> broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever they said) cooked between two
> pieces of cheaper meat. Did you mean flank is the throw away meat?

London broil
1. A FLANK STEAK that has been cut into large pieces, tenderized by
marinating, broiled or grilled, then thinly sliced across the grain. 2. A
term also used for various thick cuts of meat including sirloin tip (see
SIRLOIN) and top round (see ROUND).

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:26:56 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009 16:35:51 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>i think it depends on what you want to cook. skirt may be better for
>>fajitas and the like, but you can't beat flank for london broil.

> Ugh! Flank steak as london broil? I read somewhere that real london
> broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever they said) cooked between two
> pieces of cheaper meat. Did you mean flank is the throw away meat?

if you are foolish.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 16:08:08 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:26:56 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 19 May 2009 16:35:51 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>i think it depends on what you want to cook. skirt may be better for
>>>fajitas and the like, but you can't beat flank for london broil.

>> Ugh! Flank steak as london broil? I read somewhere that real london
>> broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever they said) cooked between two
>> pieces of cheaper meat. Did you mean flank is the throw away meat?

>if you are foolish.

Flank is not a "go to" meat for me - ever. Not even for stir fry. I
don't know what meat London Broil really is, but it isn't flank.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I read somewhere that real london broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever
> they said) cooked between two pieces of cheaper meat.

I think you're confusing London broil with chateaubriand.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:35:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 20 May 2009 16:08:08 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 19 May 2009 20:26:56 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 19 May 2009 16:35:51 GMT, blake murphy

>>> Ugh! Flank steak as london broil? I read somewhere that real london
>>> broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever they said) cooked between two
>>> pieces of cheaper meat. Did you mean flank is the throw away meat?

>>if you are foolish.
>>

>Flank is not a "go to" meat for me - ever. Not even for stir fry. I
>don't know what meat London Broil really is, but it isn't flank.

Every recipe I have for london broil uses flank steak

-------------------

Stu

What's the difference between Roast Beef and Pea Soup?
Anyone Can Roast Beef!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:35:50 -0700, sf wrote:

> Flank is not a "go to" meat for me - ever. Not even for stir fry. I
> don't know what meat London Broil really is, but it isn't flank.

It is traditionally made from flank.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 20:58:33 -0500, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:35:50 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> Flank is not a "go to" meat for me - ever. Not even for stir fry. I
>> don't know what meat London Broil really is, but it isn't flank.

>It is traditionally made from flank.

The london broil I've seen have never resembled flank.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:54:24 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere that real london broil is a piece of sirloin (or whatever
>> they said) cooked between two pieces of cheaper meat.

>I think you're confusing London broil with chateaubriand.

Ah, yes! The memory chips are firing now.... you are absolutely
correct sir. However, I *have* actually eaten a cut of meat called
London Broil (in my yoot) and it wasn't flank steak - my mother would
not have stooped that low. She hated anything that shrieked
depression era. Can't say I've seen the term attached to a piece of
meat in decades though. I think it might have something to do with
truth in labeling here in California.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:54:24 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>>
>>> I read somewhere that real london broil is a piece of sirloin (or
>>> whatever they said) cooked between two pieces of cheaper meat.

>> I think you're confusing London broil with chateaubriand.
>>

> Ah, yes! The memory chips are firing now.... you are absolutely
> correct sir. However, I *have* actually eaten a cut of meat called
> London Broil (in my yoot) and it wasn't flank steak - my mother would
> not have stooped that low. She hated anything that shrieked
> depression era. Can't say I've seen the term attached to a piece of
> meat in decades though. I think it might have something to do with
> truth in labeling here in California.

Although the term London broil is printed on packaged of some
kind of sirloin, at least in my area, I have learned over the years
that flank steak is the traditional London broil.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:35:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 20 May 2009 16:08:08 GMT, blake murphy
>> > wrote:

>>> if you are foolish.
>>>

>> Flank is not a "go to" meat for me - ever. Not even for stir fry. I
>> don't know what meat London Broil really is, but it isn't flank.

> Every recipe I have for london broil uses flank steak
>
> -------------------
>
> Stu
>
> What's the difference between Roast Beef and Pea Soup?
> Anyone Can Roast Beef!!!

Gee... I will google later, but when my mom did London broil, it
wasn't flank steak. It was some very thick cut of beef. It may
have been called London broil. I dunno.

She almost invariably made a pepper steak version, which I later
discovered came from Alan Ladd. See:

<http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Alan%20ladd's%20chuck%20wagon%20pepper%20ste ak>

or:

http://tinyurl.com/q45768

Note that it, indeed, calls for London broil.

I see, though, that Wikipedia says flank or round steak. I wonder
whether mom just used the round steak.

--
Jean B.

Steaks? Tess General Cooking 23 21-12-2004 05:53 PM
Rib steaks Bob (this one) General Cooking 5 04-08-2004 07:59 AM
Corned Beef Skirt Steaks Steve Wertz Barbecue 21 20-04-2004 07:00 PM
Brined Skirt or Flank Steak? Danny Hardesty Barbecue 7 06-10-2003 01:54 AM