Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default engineering dirty rice

Friends were coming to hang out for the afternoon and dinner, bringing
their 10-year old boy. Among other things I served dirty rice. The
kid loved it and loved the name and then wanted to know more about
it. I explained chicken livers and gizzards but didn't have any more
to show him, so got on the net looking for recipes and pictures.
Found a good version and some small pictures, essentially the same as
mine, he
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...147/Dirty-Rice

This is a pretty well done cooking website, displaying a consistent
willingness to address hows and whys (techniques) as well as what
(recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
take a look. -aem

Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
Friends were coming to hang out for the afternoon and dinner, bringing
their 10-year old boy. Among other things I served dirty rice. The
kid loved it and loved the name and then wanted to know more about
it. I explained chicken livers and gizzards but didn't have any more
to show him, so got on the net looking for recipes and pictures.
Found a good version and some small pictures, essentially the same as
mine, he
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/r...147/Dirty-Rice

This is a pretty well done cooking website, displaying a consistent
willingness to address hows and whys (techniques) as well as what
(recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
take a look. -aem

I've had CFE bookmarked for several years, he is consistent in his
analysis of the dishes he writes about. Very few of the people here in
SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
find ingredients anymore. Most dirty rice here now is made with ground
beef or pork, occasionally ground chicken. It's still tasty no matter
what it's made with.

George, not an engineer but supervised a lot of them over the years
Old 11-05-2009, 10:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 11, 11:10*am, George Shirley wrote:

I've had CFE bookmarked for several years, he is consistent in his
analysis of the dishes he writes about. Very few of the people here in
SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
find ingredients anymore. Most dirty rice here now is made with ground
beef or pork, occasionally ground chicken. It's still tasty no matter
what it's made with.

I don't doubt that some folks would prefer other meats, but not me.
It's some other rice dish, no longer dirty rice if you do, afaic.
I've looked at the website off and on for quite a while but haven't
got through the whole thing yet. He seems pretty sensible to me. -aem
Old 12-05-2009, 03:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
aem wrote:

(recipes). Worth looking around. He uses a neat recipe format that I
haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. I can't describe it, just
take a look. -aem

Oy, the ads!
HWSRN said "That's the way an engineer would do it on a spreadsheet."
I am so not accustomed to that format that it's difficult for me to
track with it. Like most things, I could probably get used to it, but I
don't want to. :-0\ The guy's been around with that site for a
long time.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Old 12-05-2009, 06:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:

Very few of the people here in
SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
find ingredients anymore.

I can get livers, gizzards and hearts at most any grocer in Austin.

-sw

Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

George Shirley wrote:

Very few of the people here in
SW Louisiana still make dirty rice with livers and gizzards, hard to
find ingredients anymore.

I can get livers, gizzards and hearts at most any grocer in Austin.

-sw

Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
beef heart.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 7:31*am, Melba's Jammin'
wrote:
*aem wrote:
(recipes). *Worth looking around. *He uses a neat recipe format that I
haven't seen before, maybe he developed it. *I can't describe it, just
take a look. * -aem

Oy, the ads! *
HWSRN said "That's the way an engineer would do it on a spreadsheet."
I am so not accustomed to that format that it's difficult for me to
track with it. *Like most things, I could probably get used to it, but I
don't want to. *:-0\ * * *The guy's been around with that site for a
long time.

It is different, and the traditional format doesn't really need
changing. Still, I think it's a pretty ingenious way to link
ingredients with what you do with them. -aem
Old 12-05-2009, 07:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
beef heart.

Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.

-sw
Old 13-05-2009, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Where are you getting Hearts? I've only ever seen them at Fiesta or MT.
HEB (at least locally) does not carry chicken hearts. But they do carry
beef heart.

Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.

-sw

That's a helluva price, and I love chicken hearts. I'll have to watch
for that, thanks!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Old 13-05-2009, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

Central Market, of all places, has them all the time for $.89/lb. And
then some of the third-world HEB's have them in stock most of the time.

That's a helluva price, and I love chicken hearts. I'll have to watch
for that, thanks!

I have no trouble finding chicken livers around here, but chicken
hearts without gizzards I can't find. It's always gizzards and
hearts packaged together. It seems to be a regional thing. In
PA and NJ they sell hearts separate, and I'm assuming other places
as well, just not in my area. I really like chicken hearts, but
not gizzards. Sigh.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Old 17-05-2009, 03:10 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:

I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
meat into pet food.

Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.

-sw
Old 17-05-2009, 12:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Sqwertz wrote:

On Wed, 13 May 2009 12:30:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:

I love gizzards. But, I know how to cook them tender. :-)
If nothing else, you could use them as a stock ingredient, then turn the
meat into pet food.

Just make sure you don't get free range chicken gizzards.

-sw

Why?
--
Peace! Om