Old 27-08-2006, 12:45 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dirty rice

Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
modom's dictionary.

However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.

BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
For me.

It must be true love.
--
modom

"Southern barbecue is a proud thoroughbred whose bloodlines are easily traced.
Texas Barbecue is a feisty mutt with a whole lot of crazy relatives."

--Robb Walsh, Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook

Old 27-08-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sat 26 Aug 2006 04:45:50p, modom (palindrome guy) meant to
say...

Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
modom's dictionary.

However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.

BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
For me.

It must be true love.

Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice. Go
figger.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Terraform Mars? Why not terraform the Earth?

Old 27-08-2006, 12:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.

It must be true love.
--

True love or to blave? Why push your luck? Maybe she'd like any kind of
sausage vice chicken livers. I know it's a variation, but I'm sure the

Old 27-08-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice.
Go figger.

The funny thing is I one of those that think there isn't enough onions on
the planet to make liver, any liver eatable. With that said I love dirty
rice and boudin (made with pork shoulder & pork liver). It has never made
sense to me at all, how I can love those and gage on liver by itself.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Old 27-08-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
modom (palindrome guy) wrote:
However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South
Beach and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat
dirty rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom
is an overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served
here.

It must be true love.
--

True love or to blave?

LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?

Jill

Old 27-08-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 27 Aug 2006 05:05:44a, Joe Cilinceon meant to say...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

Happy for you! I absolutely love chicken livers, but not dirty rice.
Go figger.

The funny thing is I one of those that think there isn't enough onions on
the planet to make liver, any liver eatable. With that said I love dirty
rice and boudin (made with pork shoulder & pork liver). It has never made
sense to me at all, how I can love those and gage on liver by itself.

I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love chopped
liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and onions with
bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my family used to
make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which was made of pork
liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and sage. Another dish I
like is sauteed chicken livers with onions, peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

Old 27-08-2006, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Aug 2006 20:09:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love chopped
liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and onions with
bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my family used to
make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which was made of pork
liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and sage. Another dish I
like is sauteed chicken livers with onions, peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

Wayne the liver pudding sounds a bit like pate de campagne, except for
the sage. Do you know the history of the recipe? And could you share
the recipe?

D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
French. In France I have seen her eat many a liver pate snack, not to
mention fois gras. Hell, I even saw her eat boudin noir (blood
sausage) once.

Old 28-08-2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 27 Aug 2006 02:59:56p, modom (palindrome guy) meant to
say...

On 27 Aug 2006 20:09:52 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote:

I don't really like liver altogether by itself. It must have onion, at
least, and depending on the preparation, other seasonings. I love
chopped liver and chopped chicken livers, liver (calve's or pork) and
onions with bacon, liver pate' of various ilk, and something that my
family used to make called "liver pudding" (like a coarse pate') which
was made of pork liver and pork shoulder, and seasoned with onion and
sage. Another dish I like is sauteed chicken livers with onions,
peppers, and fresh tomatoes.

Wayne the liver pudding sounds a bit like pate de campagne, except for
the sage. Do you know the history of the recipe? And could you share
the recipe?

Yes, it is rather like that, but cooked differently. Growing up, I knew
nothing about paté, but later realized the similarity. Michael, I'll be
glad to post it, but I need to refer back to my mother's notes. I'll do
that quite soon.

D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
French. In France I have seen her eat many a liver pate snack, not to
mention fois gras. Hell, I even saw her eat boudin noir (blood
sausage) once.

It's funny what people will eat given other factors. I find that true with
myself as well.

--
Wayne Boatwright

User Error: replace user and press any key to continue.

Old 28-08-2006, 01:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 02:27:29 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

D's dislike for liver is easily overcome by her love all things
French.

It's funny what people will eat given other factors.

Yes! .. and they did come up with the tickler. Actually I love *dirty*
rice and Paul Prudhomme's recipe is the best ever!

Old 28-08-2006, 04:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"modom (palindrome guy)" [email protected] wrote:

Yup. Dirty rice. As a man who was born in Baton Rouge and raised by
natives of South Louisiana, I am a major fan of rice in almost any
form. And dirty rice is the very definition of comfort food in
modom's dictionary.

However, I am married to a woman who adheres (somewhat) to South Beach
and who does not like chicken livers at all. Therefore, I eat dirty
rice about as often as George Bush changes his mind. Seldom is an
overstatement of the frequency that dirty rice gets served here.

BUT as I type this note, D is in the kitchen with a passel of chicken
livers, rice, onions, a 33-year-old copy of River Roads cookbook, etc.
making a big ole pan of dirty rice just for me! She's listening to
Ray Wylie Hubbard's latest CD and frying up chicken livers in a pan.
For me.

It must be true love.

The recipe I've used for dirty rice for umpteen years uses ground up
chicken gizzards. SO had never heard of it before he met me. He is now
a convert.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Old 28-08-2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
stark wrote:
It must be true love.
--

True love or to blave?

LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?

Jill

More than once. I can do most of the parts. Princess Buttercup is my
weakest.

Old 28-08-2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

stark wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
stark wrote:
It must be true love.
--

True love or to blave?

LOLOLOL What, did you just watch the Princess Bride?

Jill

More than once. I can do most of the parts. Princess Buttercup is my
weakest.

How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice
and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

Old 29-08-2006, 12:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is nice
and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
this man could fill a stage.

Old 29-08-2006, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" wrote

jmcquown wrote:
How about a nice mutton lettuce and tomato sandwich where the mutton is
nice
and lean? And the tomatoes, so perky! LOL Have fun storming the castle!

Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
this man could fill a stage.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

nancy

Old 31-08-2006, 12:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
Nice. I hope you got to see Mandy Potemkin's one-man show a few years
back. Inigo Montoya kept creeping into his routine throughout. I've
always been suspicious of celebrity and stardom but I was amazed by how
this man could fill a stage.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

nancy

Hmmmmmmm. What do you think I think it means? I think I meant that
some people have a presence; Potemkin's is very large. You can even see
it in his Crestor ad--ads that I usually refuse to watch.