Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Canned sliced peaches

....in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
cranberries?

Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
cream poured over?

(I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them. do
> you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?

Yes, that would be good.

> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?

Probably not as good; I think their icy texture when frozen is not all that
pleasant.

How about a peach clafouti with amaretto ice cream?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with
> them.

On your Cheerios and milk.

Childhood favorite here, and once in a while I still indulge.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)

Eat them with cereal and milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of
> frozen cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little
> light cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

Somewhere over the rainbow (that means back in Tennessee) I have a recipe
for baked chicken breasts topped with sliced peaches, which carmelize during
the cooking process. I'm not a fan of "meat & fruit" and I'm pretty sure
you'd have to rinse off the heavy syrup. But it's a thought. A vague
thought, but a thought nonetheless

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

How 'bout a peach upside-down cake/cobbler ?

Put drained peache in a baking dish,
cover with a ( yellow ) cake mix batter.

Bake, enjoy !

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:19:29 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
>do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
>cranberries?
>
>Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
>cream poured over?
>
>(I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
>Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote on Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:05:21 -0400:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do
>> with them. do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I
>> mixed in a bag of frozen cranberries?
>>
>> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a
>> little light cream poured over?
>>
>> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and
>> cooking)
>>
>> Bob

> Somewhere over the rainbow (that means back in Tennessee) I
> have a recipe for baked chicken breasts topped with sliced
> peaches, which carmelize during the cooking process. I'm not a fan of
> "meat & fruit" and I'm pretty sure you'd have to
> rinse off the heavy syrup. But it's a thought. A vague thought, but
> a thought nonetheless

There are four canned fruits that I like as dessert: peaches, pears,
lychees and mandarins. Eat them as is or with a little ice cream. I
never cook entrees with them.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> How 'bout a peach upside-down cake/cobbler ?
>
> Put drained peache in a baking dish,
> cover with a ( yellow ) cake mix batter.
>
> Bake, enjoy !

That's kind of what I was thinking, but that it would be too bland
without the cranberries.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> <RJ> wrote:
>> How 'bout a peach upside-down cake/cobbler ?
>>
>> Put drained peache in a baking dish,
>> cover with a ( yellow ) cake mix batter.
>>
>> Bake, enjoy !
>>

> That's kind of what I was thinking, but that it would be too bland
> without the cranberries.
>
> Bob

Peaches are bland? Okay, I suppose these days they could very well be. But
peach cobbler is a southern U.S. classic and could hardly be called bland.
Cranberries need not apply

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> <RJ> wrote:
>>> How 'bout a peach upside-down cake/cobbler ?
>>>
>>> Put drained peache in a baking dish,
>>> cover with a ( yellow ) cake mix batter.
>>>
>>> Bake, enjoy !
>>>

>> That's kind of what I was thinking, but that it would be too bland
>> without the cranberries.
>>
>> Bob

> Peaches are bland? Okay, I suppose these days they could very well be.
> But peach cobbler is a southern U.S. classic and could hardly be called
> bland. Cranberries need not apply
>
> Jill

These are *canned* peaches, not fresh. I used to make wonderful peach
pies when I had a half dozen peach trees. I wish peaches grew up here.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> There are four canned fruits that I like as dessert: peaches, pears,
> lychees and mandarins. Eat them as is or with a little ice cream. I
> never cook entrees with them.

Canned apricots are not on your list? I like them even better than
peaches and pears.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> zxcvbob wrote:

>>> That's kind of what I was thinking, but that it would be too bland
>>> without the cranberries.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Peaches are bland? Okay, I suppose these days they could very well
>> be. But peach cobbler is a southern U.S. classic and could hardly be
>> called bland. Cranberries need not apply
>>
>> Jill

> These are *canned* peaches, not fresh. I used to make wonderful peach
> pies when I had a half dozen peach trees. I wish peaches grew up
> here.
> Bob

Yeah, I know they're canned peaches. In heavy syrup. Doubtful they'd be
bland for cobbler.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Peaches are bland? Okay, I suppose these days they could very well
>>> be. But peach cobbler is a southern U.S. classic and could hardly be
>>> called bland. Cranberries need not apply
>>>
>>> Jill

>> These are *canned* peaches, not fresh. I used to make wonderful peach
>> pies when I had a half dozen peach trees. I wish peaches grew up
>> here.
>> Bob

> Yeah, I know they're canned peaches. In heavy syrup. Doubtful they'd
> be bland for cobbler.
>
> Jill

I think canned peaches are bland. I wonder whether there is ANY
variation among the brands?

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

A cobbler sounds good, I am sure the peaches would taste good mixed with
cranberries.

I am sure you have a good recipe for cobbler, but here is an old college
recipe.

Cobbler

1 stick butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 can any fruit pie filling (may substitute a 29-oz. can of peaches but
must drain the juice - do not drain the fruit pie filling)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in casserole dish. In a
separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, milk and baking powder.
Pour over melted butter. Do not stir. Dump fruit on top of the batter
mixture. do not stir. Bake for 1 hour. Serve with ice cream.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
> On 29-Aug-2008, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I think canned peaches are bland. I wonder whether there is ANY
>> variation among the brands?
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I don't buy any canned fruit in heavy syrup; but, IMO, Del Monte No Sugar
> Added Sliced Peaches have very good fruit flavor (their pears too). Perhaps
> the "way too much sugar" of heavy syrup blunts the taste of the peaches.

I have gotten those. I still find the flavor lacking, but it is
better than with the syrup-infused ones (unless you want that
bland sweetness).

A question for home canners: is it possible to can those without
the flavor being deficient?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:

> On 29-Aug-2008, "Jean B." > wrote:
>

>>I think canned peaches are bland. I wonder whether there is ANY
>>variation among the brands?
>>
>>--
>>Jean B.

> I don't buy any canned fruit in heavy syrup; but, IMO, Del Monte No Sugar
> Added Sliced Peaches have very good fruit flavor (their pears too). Perhaps
> the "way too much sugar" of heavy syrup blunts the taste of the peaches.

When my kids were little our pediatrician recommended a spoonful of the
heavy syrup from canned peaches to quell nausea. I'd also lay the
sliced peaches out on waxed paper and freeze them. Bites of frozen
syrupy peaches stayed down when nothing else would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:

> A question for home canners: is it possible to can those without the
> flavor being deficient?

They freeze really well. Especially if you eat them while still
slightly frozen.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of
> frozen cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little
> light cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

Found this on a menu at a local restaurant called Silvi's. Pork loin strips
and peaches in an onion gravy, baked with Swiss cheese. They serve it as a
sandwich on a pretzel roll. Sounds weird

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:35:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Canned apricots are not on your list? I like them even better than
>peaches and pears.

Apricot preserves are ALWAYS in my pantry. Makes a great glaze for a
fruit tart. Makes a great glaze for grilled or broiled chicken,
pork chops, etc. Add some hot Szechuan sauce with the apricot
preserves for a great stir fry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:00:59 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>I have gotten those. I still find the flavor lacking, but it is
>better than with the syrup-infused ones (unless you want that
>bland sweetness).

Add a couple of drops of Penzey's pure almon extract. It does
wonders for the flavors. ....and a pinch of salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of
> frozen cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little
> light cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

http://tinyurl.com/58axup

or for those who think tinyurl is virus riddled:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Everyd...ches/Main.aspx

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

There is no such thing as a little garlic. ~A. Baer
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:35:46 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Canned apricots are not on your list? I like them even better than
>> peaches and pears.

> Apricot preserves are ALWAYS in my pantry. Makes a great glaze for a
> fruit tart. Makes a great glaze for grilled or broiled chicken,
> pork chops, etc. Add some hot Szechuan sauce with the apricot
> preserves for a great stir fry.

I occasionally make apricot jam. That is one of the jams where I find
you just can't buy. The commercial stuff is never good. It is also great
as a layer filler with white cake and chocolate icing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

========
I use canned peaches when I make a peach custard pie. It is very good.

Member

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvbob View Post
....in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
cranberries?

Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
cream poured over?

(I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)

Bob
I use drained peaches in peach cake and also wrapp them in puff pastry and cook in the oven until lightly golden, its very tasty,. I dont like the syroup though!
XXM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

Do smoothies interest you?
Rinse them of the heavy syrup and use them in a cobbler or something.
Maybe sprinkle some orange juice, zest, or something over them to cut
the sweetness.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)

Peaches in heavy syrup make a nice pie or cobbler filling when combined
with water-packed canned sour cherries. Drain the cherries first but
not the peaches, add cornstarch, tapioca or flour as necessary to
thicken the juice.

My very favorite winter pie filling is dried nectarines snipped up small
and simmered with water-packed sour cherries and a little brown sugar
until tender. For this application, don't drain the cherries. Keep an
eye on the fruit mixture as it simmers and the nectarines absorb the
juice from the cherries. If it looks too dry add a little orange juice.
Thicken as needed. Bake in a homemade crust with crumb topping.
Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Actually, that's my favorite summer pie filling as well but it seems
criminal to use dried and/or canned fruit when the fresh versions are
readily available.

Simmering canned peaches with Craisins (dried cranberries) makes a nice
side dish, too.

I like making fresh peach pie much more since I discovered that the
peaches available locally really don't need to be peeled before use.

I learned to make peach pie from my grandmother, who had several peach
trees in her back yard. An afternoon picking and washing them so
Grandma could can them left you feeling like you'd been rolled in
fiberglass. You practically had to shave the things before eating them
raw. Modern commercially available varieties have much smoother thinner
skins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 28 Aug 2008 09:19:29p, zxcvbob told us...

> ...in heavy syrup. 29 ounce can. I'm wondering what to do with them.
> do you think they'd make a decent cobbler if I mixed in a bag of frozen
> cranberries?
>
> Or should I drain them, freeze them, and eat frozen with a little light
> cream poured over?
>
> (I almost hate to interrupt with a topic about food and cooking)
>
> Bob

When I was a child my grandmother used to pour the sliced peaches with
syrup into an old fashioned aluminum ice cube tray and put it into the ice
cube compartment of the fridge. The peaches would partically freeze and
the syrup would become slighly icy and slushy. Just eating them like that
was very refreshing.

Today you'd have to watch the chilling/freezing process to get them to just
the right stage before pulling out and eating them.

<food and cooking interruptions graciously accepted> :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day