Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe using canned peaches?

I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
(they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
cook into mush?

Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peach tart. They do fine.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry. Not
>sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to use up stuff
>like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches (they sell those at
>the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and lemon juice, would that make an
>OK cobbler filling? Or will they cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and using in
> smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

Peach pancakes
Peach muffins
Peaches and cottage cheese
Peaches and ice cream
Peach cobbler
Peach shortcake

Just a few

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry. Not
>sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to use up stuff
>like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches (they sell those at
>the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and lemon juice, would that make an
>OK cobbler filling? Or will they cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and using in
> smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

My mom makes them into peach crisp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
> use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
> cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
> using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

I dice them up and add them to muffin batter. With a bit of cinnamon in
the batter and cinnamon-sugar topping, they're fantastic.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/15/2011 10:49 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry. Not
> sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to use up
> stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches (they sell
> those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and lemon juice, would
> that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and using in
> smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
> -Bob

They will be fine Bob, my Mom always made her peach cobblers with canned
peaches in heavy syrup as we couldn't grow peaches on the Coast. I make
pear cobbler all the time with home-canned pears and they are always
tasty. I use Clear-Jel to thicken the cobbler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:49:46 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
>use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
>(they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
>lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
>cook into mush?
>
>Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
>using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
>-Bob

Spoon over a pan of yellow box cake and bake... use the syrup for the
cake liquid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:8pfbnbFgm8U1
@mid.individual.net:

> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
> use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
> cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
> using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
> -Bob

I'm addicted to putting a large can of peaches into two prepared packages
of Jello or generic substitute and letting it gel in the refrigerator.
One of my favorite desserts. I count the peach liquid as part of the
water required for the Jello.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 15/01/2011 11:49 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry. Not
> sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to use up
> stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches (they sell
> those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and lemon juice, would
> that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and using in
> smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter

I love canned peaches on cottage cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 11:49*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> * Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
> use up stuff like this. *If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? *Or will they
> cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? *Like maybe freezing them and
> using in smoothies? *Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

If they aren't ten years old, you could donate them to your next food
drive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
> use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
> cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
> using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
> -Bob

I like the smoothie idea and I wouldn't bother freezing them for that.
Make an upside down cake with them ‹ pineapple is canned, too, doncha
know. Chill them, put them in a sauce dish and eat them, fercripesake!
If you want to be fancy schmancy, drain them first and put them either
under or. . . . ready?. . . . on top of a glob of cottage cheese. If
you want to be swanky, put some lettuce under whichever way you dish it.
mumblemumblefercryinoutloudmumblesomepeoplemumblem umble

--
Barb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 11:33:03 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
>> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
>> use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
>> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
>> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
>> cook into mush?
>>
>> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
>> using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>>
>> -Bob

>I like the smoothie idea and I wouldn't bother freezing them for that.
>Make an upside down cake with them ‹ pineapple is canned, too, doncha
>know. Chill them, put them in a sauce dish and eat them, fercripesake!
>If you want to be fancy schmancy, drain them first and put them either
>under or. . . . ready?. . . . on top of a glob of cottage cheese. If
>you want to be swanky, put some lettuce under whichever way you dish it.
>mumblemumblefercryinoutloudmumblesomepeoplemumble mumble

They are nice broiled or grilled, too. I prefer the half-peaches for
that, but it is a favorite side dish with bbq-ed chicken.

I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it. Canned
peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His house,
too.

The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new product
for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very light
syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You can freeze them and blend in the food processor to make a light
sorbet.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 15, 11:49 pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
>> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
>> Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
>> use up stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
>> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
>> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they
>> cook into mush?
>>
>> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and
>> using in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?

> If they aren't ten years old, you could donate them to your next food
> drive.

I have cans of beets, Lima beans, turnip greens, and turkey Vienna
sausages already for that. "Be prepared", that's what I always say.
But it was a good idea. Thanks! :-)

(the peaches are less than 2 years old)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> They are nice broiled or grilled, too. I prefer the half-peaches for
> that, but it is a favorite side dish with bbq-ed chicken.
>
> I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it. Canned
> peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His house,
> too.
>
> The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new product
> for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very light
> syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.
>
> Boron

I'll try the Kirkland brand ‹ do they have citrus, too?
Mom canned a case or two of peaches every summer, too. We used to dunk
a piece of bread into the syrup left in the dish.

--
Barb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:41:53 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> They are nice broiled or grilled, too. I prefer the half-peaches for
>> that, but it is a favorite side dish with bbq-ed chicken.
>>
>> I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it. Canned
>> peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His house,
>> too.
>>
>> The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new product
>> for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very light
>> syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.
>>
>> Boron

>I'll try the Kirkland brand ‹ do they have citrus, too?

Dunno. I have not checked. I'll look the next time I go and let you
know. That place is my second home.

>Mom canned a case or two of peaches every summer, too. We used to dunk
>a piece of bread into the syrup left in the dish.

I liked to drink the syrup.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Boron Elgar > wrote:

>> I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it.
>> Canned peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His
>> house, too.
>>
>> The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new
>> product for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very
>> light syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.

> I'll try the Kirkland brand < do they have citrus, too?

There was an article in the Costco Connection and they only
mentioned jarred peaches and canned peaches/corn/green beans.
FWIW.

> Mom canned a case or two of peaches every summer, too. We used to
> dunk a piece of bread into the syrup left in the dish.

I bet they were really good.

For some reason I've had a little fruit craving, and a bag of frozen
fruit caught my eye at Costco. It was the peach slice I spied that
got me. Now it's a big bag of frozen fruit lump as it thawed a bit
on the way home and glued themselves together in my freezer.

Nothing like hacking off a chunk of something for breakfast.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar > wrote:

>>> I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it.
>>> Canned peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His
>>> house, too.
>>>
>>> The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new
>>> product for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very
>>> light syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.

>> I'll try the Kirkland brand < do they have citrus, too?

> There was an article in the Costco Connection and they only mentioned
> jarred peaches and canned peaches/corn/green beans.
> FWIW.
>> Mom canned a case or two of peaches every summer, too. We used to
>> dunk a piece of bread into the syrup left in the dish.

> I bet they were really good.
>
> For some reason I've had a little fruit craving, and a bag of frozen fruit
> caught my eye at Costco. It was the peach slice I spied that
> got me. Now it's a big bag of frozen fruit lump as it thawed a bit
> on the way home and glued themselves together in my freezer.
> Nothing like hacking off a chunk of something for breakfast.

lol I will take your word for that
https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:19:47 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Boron Elgar > wrote:

>>> I just bought peaches yesterday and was talking to TH about it.
>>> Canned peaches were a staple in the house when I was growing up. His
>>> house, too.
>>>
>>> The ones I bought are in glass jars and Kirkland brand - a new
>>> product for Costco as they used to carry Del Monte's that way. Very
>>> light syrup. We'll have some alongside the pot roast tonight.

>> I'll try the Kirkland brand < do they have citrus, too?

>There was an article in the Costco Connection and they only
>mentioned jarred peaches and canned peaches/corn/green beans.
>FWIW.
>
>> Mom canned a case or two of peaches every summer, too. We used to
>> dunk a piece of bread into the syrup left in the dish.

>I bet they were really good.
>
>For some reason I've had a little fruit craving, and a bag of frozen
>fruit caught my eye at Costco. It was the peach slice I spied that
>got me. Now it's a big bag of frozen fruit lump as it thawed a bit
>on the way home and glued themselves together in my freezer.
>
>Nothing like hacking off a chunk of something for breakfast.
>
>nancy

I have had that problem with frozen berry blends. Drives me nuts. I
have tried several remedies, each successful in a way, but it depends
on how the fruit is to be used.

If I am making a fruit filling for something such as aebelskiver, I
separate a hunk-o'-fruit and put it in a ziplock, at which point I
wham it against the counter top a few times.

If I am using the fruit for pies or muffin, I separate a chunk, then
let it defrost in a strainer, catching the juice in a bowl underneath.
You might try this for a night-before-the-morning-of-use sort of
thing.

I realize that a big problem is separating a chunk from the mass, but
you'd be surprised at how handy a mallet and large screwdriver can be
in the kitchen.

So generally, are the frozen fruit blends with peaches any good? I
have only used mixed berries. Well, I have also used frozen
strawberries, but the old fashioned kind, with an end cap you try off
with a can punch and are laden with sugary goodness. I used to eat
them with half & half poured over. No wonder I was a fat kid.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:41:53 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
> >I'll try the Kirkland brand ‹ do they have citrus, too?

> Dunno. I have not checked. I'll look the next time I go and let you
> know. That place is my second home.

> Boron

:-) We went yesterday so I could pick up a stash of pot pies (Barb
waves to Bryan and hands him a barf bag '-) and I bought the 4-pack of
the peaches. They're pretty good, though Rob thought they're not as
tender as expected. Me, too‹they were made from slightly underripe
peaches so they'd hold their shape better and look prettier in the jar.
I see some smoothies coming up.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Boron Elgar wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:19:47 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> > wrote:

>> For some reason I've had a little fruit craving, and a bag of frozen
>> fruit caught my eye at Costco. It was the peach slice I spied that
>> got me. Now it's a big bag of frozen fruit lump as it thawed a bit
>> on the way home and glued themselves together in my freezer.
>>
>> Nothing like hacking off a chunk of something for breakfast.

> I have had that problem with frozen berry blends. Drives me nuts. I
> have tried several remedies, each successful in a way, but it depends
> on how the fruit is to be used.
>
> If I am making a fruit filling for something such as aebelskiver, I
> separate a hunk-o'-fruit and put it in a ziplock, at which point I
> wham it against the counter top a few times.

(laugh) I just saw this.

> If I am using the fruit for pies or muffin, I separate a chunk, then
> let it defrost in a strainer, catching the juice in a bowl underneath.
> You might try this for a night-before-the-morning-of-use sort of
> thing.

I separated a chunk and put it into a container and left it out
for hours. I didn't know that fruit has some magical stay-frozen
properties, geez. Too bad it didn't stay that way on the way home
from Costco!

> I realize that a big problem is separating a chunk from the mass, but
> you'd be surprised at how handy a mallet and large screwdriver can be
> in the kitchen.

Who knew!

> So generally, are the frozen fruit blends with peaches any good? I
> have only used mixed berries.

I like it. The peaches certainly survived being frozen better than
the berries did. This mix also has melon balls.

I didn't expect it would thaw and be anything like fruit salad, so
I was fine with it. I think it would be great stuff if someone was
looking to make fruit smoothies.

> Well, I have also used frozen
> strawberries, but the old fashioned kind, with an end cap you try off
> with a can punch and are laden with sugary goodness. I used to eat
> them with half & half poured over. No wonder I was a fat kid.

Heh. Hey, it's better than being fat because you ate Twinkies
or something along those lines.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 15, 11:49*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry.
> * Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to
> use up stuff like this. *If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches
> (they sell those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and
> lemon juice, would that make an OK cobbler filling? *Or will they
> cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? *Like maybe freezing them and
> using in smoothies? *Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
> -Bob

I eat canned peaches with cereal. Especially shredded wheat or bran
flakes.
They are also nice chopped up and mixed into oatmeal. The sweetness
and mushiness is a nice counterpoint to the high-fiber texture of the
cereal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I found a 28 oz. can of cling peaches in heavy syrup in the pantry. Not
> sure what I was thinking when I bought them, but I'm trying to use up
> stuff like this. If I drain them and mix with frozen peaches (they sell
> those at the Dollar Store) and a little allspice and lemon juice, would
> that make an OK cobbler filling? Or will they cook into mush?
>
> Is there a better way to use them? Like maybe freezing them and using
> in smoothies? Or dice them and add to muffin batter?
>
> -Bob

Some years ago, I was quite fixated on a pickled peach gelatin
concoction. If that interests you, I can probably find the
recipe. Warning: it was made with (IIRC) lemon gelatin. One
could, of course, backtrack and do the flavoring from scratch.

--
Jean B.