Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is the name of this cooking technique?

I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.

Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
or of one kind.

What do you call this technique?

With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
as more liquidy.
blacksalt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 9:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

Stir-fry?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/12/2010 10:36 PM, blacksalt wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

Troll frying?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 20:23:11 -0800, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:08:33 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
> >On 30/12/2010 10:36 PM, blacksalt wrote:

> >> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> >> as more liquidy.
> >> blacksalt

> >Troll frying?

> Blacksalt isn't a troll...

What Christine said.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 9:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

Maybe light braising. Why would you want to brown vegetables? What did
they ever do to you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 10:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

Is braising the word you are looking for?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nan > wrote:

>On Dec 30, 10:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:

>> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
>> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>>
>> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
>> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
>> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
>> or of one kind.
>>
>> What do you call this technique?
>>
>> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
>> as more liquidy.
>> blacksalt

>Is braising the word you are looking for?

I have the same question. You sautee something, then braise it.
Is there a single word that menas this? "Here are your sauteed
then braised vegetables" is a little awkward.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blacksalt > wrote in -
september.org:

> What do you call this technique?

Braised.

--

On the first day God created the sun - so the Devil countered
and created sunburn. On the second day God created sex. In

http://www.blabbinit.com/content/god-created-economist
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/2010 9:36 PM, blacksalt wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

I have made Chinese-style green beans sort of like that. I believe my
cookbooks calls the method "dry fry" or "dry saute" or "dry cooked"

The fresh green beans are stringed, then seared in a little hot oil with
chopped garlic. A liquid is added, usually a mixture of a little chicken
broth and soy sauce then the liquid is cooked off. This results in a
still crispish but slightly cooked and well-flavored bean.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've only seen this method reversed: simmered initially with
broth/water until the water is gone, and then sauteed lightly to crisp
up the outside. Very common for veggies such as sugar snap peas.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/10 7:38 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I have made Chinese-style green beans sort of like that. I believe my
> cookbooks calls the method "dry fry" or "dry saute" or "dry cooked"

This idea crossed my mind.
What is so funny is that it is truly opposite of dry! It has both oil
and water! But the product, for all that, ends up dryish.

This evolution in my cooking, as many changes in cooking in history, I
bet, has to do with circumstance. I like hot, seared, crisp veggies. But
I am aging, and have a molar or two that can sharply protesteth the
crisp part. Additionally, kiddo is still young enough to want his
veggies a wee bit soft. This has been an excellent compromise for us two
frail beings.

And, have you not heard Brown is Beautiful. Where were you in the 60s?

As for being troll, it is better to remain silent and appear a fool than
to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blacksalt wrote:
> On 12/31/10 7:38 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I have made Chinese-style green beans sort of like that. I believe my
>> cookbooks calls the method "dry fry" or "dry saute" or "dry cooked"
>>

> This idea crossed my mind.
> What is so funny is that it is truly opposite of dry! It has both oil
> and water! But the product, for all that, ends up dryish.

as I understand it, oil is considered dry -- liquid is not the same as wet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31, 8:16*am, Nan > wrote:
> On Dec 30, 10:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
>
> > I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> > is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.

> > Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> > browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> > boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> > or of one kind.

> > What do you call this technique?

> > With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> > as more liquidy.
> > blacksalt

> Is braising the word you are looking for?

Where is cooking with liquid mentioned?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2010 1:41 PM, projectile vomit chick wrote:
> On Dec 31, 8:16 am, > wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 10:36 pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
>>> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.

>>> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
>>> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
>>> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
>>> or of one kind.

>>> What do you call this technique?

>>> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
>>> as more liquidy.
>>> blacksalt

>> Is braising the word you are looking for?

> Where is cooking with liquid mentioned?

Where it says "a little water or broth added."

--
Currently Reading: Falling Free by Lois McMaster Bujold
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Dec 30, 7:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

I just call it saute

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:41:21 -0800 (PST), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Dec 31, 8:16*am, Nan > wrote:
>> On Dec 30, 10:36*pm, blacksalt > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
>> > is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.

>> > Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
>> > browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
>> > boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
>> > or of one kind.

>> > What do you call this technique?

It's a mixed method... albiet back asswards... shoulda been cooked in
the water first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blacksalt > wrote:

> I'm sure it must have a name, and perhaps I knew it once, or perhaps it
> is so simple I'll laugh when someone tells me, and slap my forehead.
>
> Fry pan, a touch of hot oil, veggies added, cooked on high until
> browned, a little water or broth added, and stirred until it briskly
> boils off, ending is a fairly dry, hot, (tasty) dish of veggies, mixed
> or of one kind.
>
> What do you call this technique?
>
> With meat I might call it "smothered", but I think of smothered dishes
> as more liquidy.
> blacksalt

Where have you been, Blacksalt? It's been a long time since I've seen
you on rfc.

This technique is more of a stir-fry than a braise to me. When you
braise something, you don't boil off the liquid.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/10 1:17 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Where have you been, Blacksalt? It's been a long time since I've seen
> you on rfc.

I moved closer to work and lost USENET access, and was horrendously busy
with commuting (before I moved), moving (when I moved), getting a house
on the market, working, and (my part-time, unpaid p.m. job)
homeschooling. I love homeschooing, but at kiddo's age, it is a full
three hours/7days for me, either sitdown work, researching, or
self-educating to be prepared. But, I can now diagram a sentence, add
long columns of numbers in my head, and speak intelligently on Oliver
Cromwell.
Now I'm studying for the Board re-cert, so I have committed my self to
12 or 13 hours most days of work, schooling, study. It takes the sting
out of death.

> This technique is more of a stir-fry than a braise to me. When you
> braise something, you don't boil off the liquid.

In stir fry, I might add a little liquid to keep it from sticking, but
not enough for a good 2 minutes of simmering to soften the chunks of
carrot, etc.
blacksalt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
> wrote:
>I've only seen this method reversed: simmered initially with
>broth/water until the water is gone, and then sauteed lightly to crisp
>up the outside. Very common for veggies such as sugar snap peas.

That one I call "steam-saute".

Charlotte