Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to do with leftover turkey?

I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Shred it up and make BBQ sandwiches

Cube it up and make fried rice

Grind it up and make turkey salad sanwiches on good bread with nice
chips.

Make it into a pasta sauce.

So many options and so little turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
[snip].... DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Don't. If you perceive he is getting tired of it already, why torture
him. Wrap it tightly and toss it in the freezer. Towards the end of
January, thaw it and make turkey tetrazzini. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:

> Shred it up and make BBQ sandwiches
>
> Cube it up and make fried rice
>
> Grind it up and make turkey salad sanwiches on good bread with nice
> chips.
>
> Make it into a pasta sauce.
>
> So many options and so little turkey.

Or put it into the freezer (cubed) and pull it out in a month or so for
some casserole. He shouldn't still be sick of it by then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Turn it into a quick turkey ministrone and freeze it. Then 2-3 months
from now it will no longer be left overs.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
>respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
>had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
>lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
>tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

I've sometimes made tamales with leftover turkey.
--

modom

http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
>respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
>had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
>lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
>tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Make some more stuffing and mashed potatoes and invite me over.
Leftovers? What leftovers? ::burp::

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-12-28, Zilbandy > wrote:

> Leftovers? What leftovers? ::burp::

Really! I'm still making new batches of stuffing and just bought a
whole turkey breast.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

The recipes are legion... ;-)

Meat salads
Casseroles
soups/stews

It will also freeze well in portions for later.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
>I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Mix up some pot pie and if you want you can even freeze it. Dice the turkey, use the
carcass and any necks/wings you may have (or use chicken parts) to make stock if you
don't have any. Use the stock to make the gravy, and add carrots, potatoes, celery,
whatever your heart desires.

Here's basically what I do (beware, I don't really follow a recipe anymore! lol)

Take about 6 Tbsp of butter and heat in a large skillet or saucier. Add 1/4 cup or so
finely minced or grated onion and about 1/4 cup chopped celery and a couple of
carrots, sliced into coins. Stir over med-low heat until the onion is just barely
beginning to turn translucent and golden. Add 5 Tbsp flour, give or take, stirring
until bubbly and golden. Add a little less than 2 cups of stock, and about 2/3 cup
whole milk. Stir until thickened and smooth (except for the veggies). Stir in
whatever other veggies you like (I add diced potatoes, partially cooked so they don't
fall apart during baking; my mom adds peas as well).

You can either make this in a casserole with a single layer of pastry on top, or as a
real pie, with a double crust. I've found the baking time doesn't vary too much
either way. I think I set the temp around 375*f to 400*f and bake it about 35-40
minutes.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote message
:

> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we
> made a respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats
> had some and we had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today...
> but there's still quite a lot left over and DH is getting
> tired of it! He has a notoriously low tolerance for
> leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Turkey chili is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote in
:

> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Cube the turkey meat, mix with some slightly blanched broccoli and pour a
cheese and wine sauce over the top. Add any other vegies you want. Makes a
very nice 'mornay'.

Or try something from here.........

http://www.honeysucklewhite.com/reci...r_results.jsp?
RECIPE_SUBCATEGORY_ID=62

http://tinyurl.com/ycg8cj

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
>respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
>had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
>lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
>tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Make turkey Tetrazzini. It's sublime!
<keep it simple>

TURKEY TETRAZZINI

8 oz. spaghetti, cooked al dente
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. flour
2 2/3 c. chicken broth
1 c. cream
1/4 c. sherry
1 tsp. salt
Pepper to taste
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
turkey (amount is up to you)

In large pot, melt butter; add flour and whisk. Add wine, cream,
seasonings, cheese, turkey and mushrooms. Place cooked spaghetti in
bottom of baking dish and top with Tetrazzini mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:

> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Turkey curry (Indian, Thai, Chinese, or *******ized)
Turkey tacos
Turkey pot pie
Turkey stew with sweet potatoes, ginger, chiles, and coconut milk
Turkey tonnato
Turkey stew with potatoes, tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, and peanut butter
Turkey hash

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

Freeze some and don't use it so soon that your husband will still perceive
it as leftovers from a recent meal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jke" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Freeze some and don't use it so soon that your husband will still perceive
> it as leftovers from a recent meal

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Good this one!!!

--
Kisses
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" <moc.etoyok@modom> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > wrote:
>
> >I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> >respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> >had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> >lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> >tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

> I've sometimes made tamales with leftover turkey.
> --
>
> modom
>
> http://www.koyote.com/users/modom/home.html

===============
Turkey a la King on a patty shell
Turkey soup
Hot turkey sandwiches with gravy
Cold turkey sandwiches with stuffing, cranberry sauce and mayonnaise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
>respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
>had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
>lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
>tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

I was going to make turkey fried rice tonight but John brought home a
bag of 'stir-fry vegetables' so I made a honey-soy sauce and did a
turkey/rice/vegetable stirfry. Not exactly authentic, but it tasted
okay and DH didn't mind eating it. (he said it tasted like pork!)
That's half the turkey gone... tomorrow I might make tetrazinni with
the rest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > wrote:
>
>> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
>> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
>> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite
>> a lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously
>> low tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat
>> it?!

> I was going to make turkey fried rice tonight but John brought home a
> bag of 'stir-fry vegetables' so I made a honey-soy sauce and did a
> turkey/rice/vegetable stirfry. Not exactly authentic, but it tasted
> okay and DH didn't mind eating it. (he said it tasted like pork!)
> That's half the turkey gone... tomorrow I might make tetrazinni with
> the rest

Tetrazzini! I forgot that existed; I haven't made it in years. :~) I'm
glad the fried rice came out well. I hope your tetrazzini does as well.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message news
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 19:47:48 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> > wrote:
>
> >I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> >respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> >had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> >lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> >tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

> Make turkey Tetrazzini. It's sublime!
> <keep it simple>
>
> TURKEY TETRAZZINI
>
> 8 oz. spaghetti, cooked al dente
> 1/4 c. butter
> 1/2 c. flour
> 2 2/3 c. chicken broth
> 1 c. cream
> 1/4 c. sherry
> 1 tsp. salt
> Pepper to taste
> 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
> 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
> turkey (amount is up to you)
>
> In large pot, melt butter; add flour and whisk. Add wine, cream,
> seasonings, cheese, turkey and mushrooms. Place cooked spaghetti in
> bottom of baking dish and top with Tetrazzini mixture.
>
> Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
>

> --
> See return address to reply by email

=============
Sounds like a good recipe; thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> >I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> > respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> > had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> > lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> > tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

> Mix up some pot pie and if you want you can even freeze it. Dice the

turkey, use the
> carcass and any necks/wings you may have (or use chicken parts) to make

stock if you
> don't have any. Use the stock to make the gravy, and add carrots,

potatoes, celery,
> whatever your heart desires.
>
> Here's basically what I do (beware, I don't really follow a recipe

anymore! lol)

> Take about 6 Tbsp of butter and heat in a large skillet or saucier. Add

1/4 cup or so
> finely minced or grated onion and about 1/4 cup chopped celery and a

couple of
> carrots, sliced into coins. Stir over med-low heat until the onion is just

barely
> beginning to turn translucent and golden. Add 5 Tbsp flour, give or take,

stirring
> until bubbly and golden. Add a little less than 2 cups of stock, and about

2/3 cup
> whole milk. Stir until thickened and smooth (except for the veggies). Stir

in
> whatever other veggies you like (I add diced potatoes, partially cooked so

they don't
> fall apart during baking; my mom adds peas as well).
>
> You can either make this in a casserole with a single layer of pastry on

top, or as a
> real pie, with a double crust. I've found the baking time doesn't vary too

much
> either way. I think I set the temp around 375*f to 400*f and bake it about

35-40
> minutes.
>
> kimberly

============
That is something I will try sometime either with chicken or turkey; thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> I cooked a 6-1/2 pound turkey breast for the two of us... we made a
> respectable dent in it on Christmas day and the cats had some and we
> had turkey sandwiches yesterday and today... but there's still quite a
> lot left over and DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

Trade with someone else who's dealing with The Miracle Of The Ham (you keep
eating the ham, but it never runs out)

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27 Dec 2006 17:14:18 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> [snip].... DH is getting tired of it! He has a notoriously low
>> tolerance for leftovers... how can I use it up so that he'll eat it?!

>Don't. If you perceive he is getting tired of it already, why torture
>him. Wrap it tightly and toss it in the freezer. Towards the end of
>January, thaw it and make turkey tetrazzini. -aem

Do you have a good recipe to share?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

LurfysMa wrote on 29 Dec 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Do you have a recipe you like?

I have several recipes I like...Do you have any Recipes from Europe?

Actually I make turkey soup but don't really have a recipe...If it turns
out extra good I try that combo again.

Take the frame of the leftover turkey and remove most of the meat...Brown
up the frame in the oven with few veggies say several carrots broken into 3
pieces and a onion cut in half...maybe a parsnip and some celery and a head
of garlic.

Dump that in a pot with any juices or pan drippings and cover with
water....simmer for a while with a couple bay leaves and 10 black
peppercorns...Viola turkey stock!

strain and chuck the bones, spent veggies and spices.

Add fresh veggies and seasonings of choice...Say a diced medium carrot or 2
the center of a celery heart diced leaves and all, a diced onion and some
half cooked wild rice, maybe diced potatoes, peas or corn and the meat from
the turkey frame you removed before roasting...Simmer till veggies are
cooked to your liking ...Add sour cream and minced dill, stir well, adjust
flavour (needs salt?) and serve.

If you go with either the peas or corn add them late in the cooking
process...they'll be best added then.