Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default need some turkey leftover help

I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>
> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help

My wife made turkey Tetrazzini last night for supper. She's at the market, so
I can't ask her recipe. You make pasta, saute shallots and mushrooms, and make
a sauce with broth, wine, butter, and or cream and or milk. Mix with turkey
in a casserole pan, grate aged cheese on top, and bake. Most recipes call for peas,
as well.

This recipe doesn't look too bad:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...key-tetrazzini
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2013 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
> Janet US

Are you okay with milk or cream? I'm thinking turkey tetrazzini. You
could add mushrooms or pretty much anything you wanted to the sauce.
Heat the bits of turkey in the sauce and toss with the pasta.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:

How about a turkey cobb salad?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:02:06 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 10:42:03 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>> Janet US

>Turkey Ala King. AKA Turkey SOS.
>
>-sw

O.k., you made me laugh. Turkey SOS indeed! You've got the right
idea. I'm looking to get rid of leftovers, not create more and SOS
would do it.
I'm thinking I need something a bit sharper after all the richness.
Any ideas along that line?
thanks for your input.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2013 1:29 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:00:26 -0800 (PST), wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>>>
>>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>>>

>> My wife made turkey Tetrazzini last night for supper. She's at the market, so
>> I can't ask her recipe. You make pasta, saute shallots and mushrooms, and make
>> a sauce with broth, wine, butter, and or cream and or milk. Mix with turkey
>> in a casserole pan, grate aged cheese on top, and bake. Most recipes call for peas,
>> as well.
>>
>> This recipe doesn't look too bad:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/m...key-tetrazzini

> I could adapt that to a half recipe. I thought tetrazzini had
> something like broccoli -- or am I thinking of something else?
> I don't have that many mushrooms on hand, but could go and get more.
> thanks
> Janet US

Mushrooms are not essential to the dish. Use what you have.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:33:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/1/2013 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>> Janet US
>>

>Are you okay with milk or cream? I'm thinking turkey tetrazzini. You
>could add mushrooms or pretty much anything you wanted to the sauce.
>Heat the bits of turkey in the sauce and toss with the pasta.
>
>Jill

Yes to milk and cream and all kinds of fats. My innards just punish
me for mayonnaise. (shrug)
So basically you're saying a pasta, a cream sauce, turkey and maybe
green veggies of choice? And lots of fresh ground black pepper to
smarten up the flavor. O.k., I'm thinking now ;o)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:33:21 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>How about a turkey cobb salad?

Oh, yum. Let's see . . . turkey, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, tomato,
hard cooked egg, lettuce and dressing. What kind of dressing? -- I
forget.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 18:41:48 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

snip

>On rarer occasion, I'll top a toasted, hearty bread with carcass
>pickings, crumbled bacon and cheese sauce.

That doesn't sound half bad. Swiss cheese or similar?
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/1/2013 1:43 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:33:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/1/2013 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>>
>>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> Are you okay with milk or cream? I'm thinking turkey tetrazzini. You
>> could add mushrooms or pretty much anything you wanted to the sauce.
>> Heat the bits of turkey in the sauce and toss with the pasta.
>>
>> Jill

> Yes to milk and cream and all kinds of fats. My innards just punish
> me for mayonnaise. (shrug)
> So basically you're saying a pasta, a cream sauce, turkey and maybe
> green veggies of choice? And lots of fresh ground black pepper to
> smarten up the flavor. O.k., I'm thinking now ;o)
> Janet US

Yep You can use any green veggie you want. Doesn't have to have a
ton of mushrooms. The sauce with the bits of leftover turkey and the
pasta is the main focus. Lots of pepper, sure. And cheese, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Adding on to all the good ideas:

enchiladas/quesadillas

open faced sandwich topped with leftover gravy

Heat it through with some barbecue sauce. Make sandwiches or top baked
potatoes or a green salad.

chef salad - nice and fresh after all the heavy holiday food. Use any
salad vegetables you have on hand.

I'm making this for the first time today, using stock from the
Thanksgiving turkey. I accidentally bought mini ravioli instead of
tortellini. I think it will still be good.

http://www.butterball.com/recipes/de...ortellini-soup

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This pumpkin turkey soup looks good:

http://www.butterball.com/recipes/de...hite-bean-and-
turkey-soup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:29:57 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I could adapt that to a half recipe. I thought tetrazzini had something
> like broccoli -- or am I thinking of something else?

Maybe you were thinking of turkey divan?

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:27:07 -0600, Tara >
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:29:57 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>> I could adapt that to a half recipe. I thought tetrazzini had something
>> like broccoli -- or am I thinking of something else?

>Maybe you were thinking of turkey divan?
>
>Tara

I think you're right. Thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:20:30 -0600, Tara >
wrote:

>Adding on to all the good ideas:
>
>enchiladas/quesadillas
>
>open faced sandwich topped with leftover gravy
>
>Heat it through with some barbecue sauce. Make sandwiches or top baked
>potatoes or a green salad.
>
>chef salad - nice and fresh after all the heavy holiday food. Use any
>salad vegetables you have on hand.
>
>I'm making this for the first time today, using stock from the
>Thanksgiving turkey. I accidentally bought mini ravioli instead of
>tortellini. I think it will still be good.
>
>http://www.butterball.com/recipes/de...ortellini-soup
>
>Tara

I can't make soup. I boiled up the carcass to make broth for the dog.
I added carrot coins, potato cubes, green beans, corn and the bits of
meat that fell off the bone. The vet was concerned that Baxter was
losing weight. He was losing weight because he has become finicky
about his kibble -- has to have something mixed with it. I had been
buying canned food, but he sticks up his nose at that. So, I'm making
turkey or chicken stew for him every couple of weeks. I portion into
cottage cheese containers and freeze. He thinks he's getting Mom's
cooking and that makes it good.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> Bad decisions make good stories.

except when the government makes the bad decisions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-01 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
> Janet US

Do you have brocolli?
Grease a casserole dish. Make a bechemel sauce, season with salt and
pepper and add a bit of nutmeg and cayenne and a some grated parmesen
cheese. Spread some sauce on the bottom of the dish,then a layer of
brocolli, then turkey on top and cover with the rest of the bechemel.
Mix a bu of melted butter with bread crumbs and more parmesan, sprinkle
on top and back at 350 for about 25 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 16:30:36 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-12-01 12:42 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>> Janet US
>>

>Do you have brocolli?
>Grease a casserole dish. Make a bechemel sauce, season with salt and
>pepper and add a bit of nutmeg and cayenne and a some grated parmesen
>cheese. Spread some sauce on the bottom of the dish,then a layer of
>brocolli, then turkey on top and cover with the rest of the bechemel.
>Mix a bu of melted butter with bread crumbs and more parmesan, sprinkle
>on top and back at 350 for about 25 minutes.

yes, I have fresh broccoli and that sounds excellent. Thanks for the
tip.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
> Janet US

See if any of these fit. I filtered them out for another but somemay
meet your needs.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Hearty Turkey Noodle Soup
Categories: Cyberealm, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

2 tb Margarine, softened
1 c Onion, chopped
1 c Frozen Carrots, diced
1/2 c Celery, diced
2 qt Water
3 tb Chicken Soup Base
2 c Medium Egg Noodles, uncooked
2 c Cooked Turkey, diced

Saute onion, carrots, and celery in margarine. Stir in water, chicken
soup base and noodles. Heat to boiling, stirring frequently. Reduce
heat and add turkey. Gently boil until noodles are tender and flavors
are blended, 8-12 minutes.

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Curried Turkey and Apple Soup (Wash)
Categories: Soups/stews, Turkey, Washington
Yield: 6 Servings

2 c Water
3/4 c Pearl rice
1 1/2 c Chicken stock; or consomme
1 sm Red onion; minced
1 md Carrot; peeled and chopped
1 ts Salt
2 ts Cinnamon
1 ts Black pepper
2 ts Thyme
1/4 ts Tabasco sauce
3 tb Curry
2 Granny smith apples; cored,
-peeled and chopped
1 lb Cubed turkey; cooked
Dry chow mein noodles

Place water, pearl rice and chicken stock in a soup pot and cook rice
until fluffy, about 20 minutes.

Add the onion, carrot, salt, cinnamon, pepper, thyme, Tabasco sauce,
curry, apples and turkey. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat.
Simmer for 30 minutes. Thin with water as needed. Garnish with dry
chow mien noodles. Yield 4 to 6 servings.

Source: Barbara Williams, Coasting & Cooking Bk #4 -- Washington &
Oregon, 1997. ISBN:0-9609950-2-1

Typed and MC_Busted for you by Brenda Adams >

Recipe by: Colophon Cafe & Deli, Bellingham

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Turkey Soup Continental
Categories: Soups
Yield: 8 Servings

1/4 c Butter or margarine
2 T Finely chopped onions
1 c Cooked turkey
2 c Diced raw potatoes
1 c Diced celery
2 c Turkey broth
1 cn Creamed style corn
2 c Half and half cream
1 t Salt
1/4 t Paprika
1/4 t Ginger
1/8 t Pepper
2 T Chopped parsley

In a large soup pot, saute onions in melted butter.
Add turkey, potatoes, celery and broth. Simmer until vegetables are
tender-crisp. Add corn, cream and seasonsings. Heat thoroughly,
stirring occasionally.
Garnish with parsley and serve with crustly rolls. From: Carol
Shenkenberger Date: 12-01-99 Cooking

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Sylvia's Easiest Best Crockpot Stock
Categories: Soups, Crockpot
Yield: 1 Servings

MMMMM------------------COPYRIGHT 1995 S.STEIGER-----------------------
1 Turkey or chicken carcass
Water

MMMMM--------------------VEGETABLES OF CHOICE-------------------------
1 Onions
2 Carrots

MMMMM----------------------HERBS OF CHOICE---------------------------
1 ts Celery seed; or stalks
2 Bay leaves
2 tb Parsley
1 tb Sage leaves
2 tb Oregano leaves
1 tb Rosemary leaves
Water

Cram as much of turkey carcass & leavings as will fit into crockpot.
(I usually only manage to get about 1/2 of a carcass in.) Use all the
leavings, including skin, even if you plan on defatting the stock. Add
remaining ingredients and cover with water to within an inch or so of
the top. Cover crockpot and cook on low at least 2-3 DAYS (not a
tyop!). Strain out solids, package in pints or quarts, and freeze
until needed.

Sylvia's comments: This recipe, that I developed, is the easiest I've
ever seen, and it produces the richest, most flavorful stock. If it's
inconvenient to let it cool and package it after 3 days, let it cook
another day or so until it is convenient. You can't overcook it (at
least I haven't managed to), the longer it cooks the richer it gets.
I do check it every day or so to see if I need to add water, but I
rarely have to. Since the stock is unsalted, it is great for anyone
trying to restrict sodium intake. And it tastes so good that I try
to snag turkey or chicken carcasses whenever I can. Let others take
home the meat and stuffing, I want the carcass! <g> I also make
stock from the bones of the whole KFC Rotisserie Gold chicken we buy
occasionally.

Brought to you by MMCONV and Sylvia Steiger, CI$ 71511,2253, Internet
or , moderator of
GT Cookbook and FringeNet Lowfat & Luscious echoes

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: TURKEY-TOMATO SOUP
Categories: Soups, Kump, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

1 md Onion; minced
2 tb Butter
1 Bay leaf
1/2 ts Minced thyme
1 qt Chicken or turkey stock
2 lb Tomatoes
- peeled, seeded, finely
- chopped (including juice)
Salt and pepper
2 c Shredded cooked turkey

SAUTE ONION IN BUTTER until softened. Add the bay leaf, thyme, stock,
tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 20 minutes. Add turkey
and simmer 5-to-10 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve, garnished with
additional minced thyme if desired.

PETER KUMP - PRODIGY GUEST CHEFS COOKBOOK

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Curried Turkey on Rice
Categories: Main dish, Diabetic, Rice, Curries, Turkey
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Apple, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
3 tb Margarine
1/4 c Flour
1/2 ts Salt
2 ts Curry powder (2-3 tsp taste)
1 c Lowfat milk
2 c Diced cooked turkey
Cooked brown rice

Saute the apple and onion in the margarine until the onion is tender.
Stir in the flour, salt, and curry powder. Slowly add the milk.

Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in the turkey.
Simmer, stirring occasionally, until hot and bubbly. Serve on the
rice. (My note: quantity of rice is not stated. Assume it is not
included in the nutritional values.)

1/4 recipe - 353 calories, 3 lean meat, 2 bread, 1 fat exchange 32
grams carbohydrate, 26 grams protein, 13 grams fat 306 mg sodium, 408
mg potassium, 56 mg cholesterol

Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Holiday Cookbook by Betty Wedman 1986
Shared but not tested by Elizabeth Rodier, Nov 93

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/diabetic.zip

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Turkey Broccoli Casserole
Categories: Main dish, Diabetic, Cheese, Low-fat, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

2 10 oz pkg. frozen broccoli
2 c Coarsely diced cooked turkey
1 Cr. Mushroom Soup 10 1/2 oz.
1/2 c Skim milk
1/2 c Grated cheddar cheese (2 oz)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Cook broccoli according to package directions.
Layer in 12 x 8 inch baking dish. Spread turkey evenly on top.

Combine soup with milk, mix until smooth and pour over turkey.
Sprinkle grated cheese on top.

Bake for 30 min. Let stand 5 min.

* 1/6 recipe - 199 calories, 2 med-fat meat, 2 veg * 20.3 gm protein,
9.1 gm fat, 9.3 gm carbohydrate, 534.2 mg sodium, 372.6 * mg
potassium, 2.3 gm fiber, 47 mg cholesterol.

Source: Am. Diabetes Assoc. Family Cookbook Vol 1, 1987 Shared but
not tested by Elizabeth Rodier Nov 93

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: After Thanksgiving Salad
Categories: Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

3 1/2 c Diced turkey
4 Celery ribs; sliced
4 Green onions; chopped
1/2 c Toasted pecans; chopped
1/2 c Red bell pepper; chopped
1/2 c Low-fat mayonnaise
1 tb Dill weed
Salt and pepper; to taste
Lettuce

In a large bowl, combine turkey, celery, onions, pecans and bell
pepper.

Combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill weed, salt and pepper in small
bowl and stir into turkey mixture. Refrigerate until serving.

Arrange turkey salad on lettuce leaves.

Recipe by: American Cancer Society, Eastern Area Office

Posted to EAT-L Digest by Bill Hatcher > on Nov 21,
1997

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Cheesy Tomato and Turkey Bake
Categories: Casserole, Pasta, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

1 lb Pasta; tubular ie macaroni
-cooked
2 c Turkey; 1" cubes
-cooked
1 cn 28 oz Tomatoes
-drained & coarsely chopped
500 ml Cottage cheese;low fat
1 c Cheddar cheese; shredded
4 Green onions; chopped
1 ts Marjoram, dried
1/2 ts Pepper, freshly ground
1/2 c Breadcrumbs, fresh
1 tb Butter; cut in tiny cubes

In lightly buttered 9"x13" baking dish, toss together cooked papsta,
turkey, tomoatoes, cottage cheese, cheddar, green onions, marjoram and
pepper. Sprinkle crumbs on top, dot with butter. (Casserole may be
prepared up this point, covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours.)
Bake at 350F till casserole is bubbling and top is lightly browned,
about 30 minutes. Source: The Toronto Star

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Cheesy Turkey and Rice Bake
Categories: Casserole, Leftovers, Turkey
Yield: 6 Servings

3 c Cooked Rice
2 c Cooked Turkey Or Chicken;
-Cubed
md Green Bell Pepper;; Chopped
md Onion; Chopped
1 c Monterey Jack Or Mozarella
-Cheese
c Milk
1 ts Ground Mustard; (Dry)
1/2 ts Red Pepper Sauce
1/4 c Parmesan Cheese; Grated
4 Whole Eggs; Slightly Beaten
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Dried Basil Leaves
1/8 ts Pepper

Recipe by: EASY ONE-DISH RECIPES Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease
square pan, 9x9x2". Mix rice, turkey, bell pepper, onion and shredded
Monterey jack cheese. Spread in pan. Mix remaining ingredients except
Parmesan; pour over rice mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake
uncovered 45-50 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 min. Cut into
squares. Posted to recipelu-digest by "Diane Geary"
> on Mar 8, 1998

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Curried Leftover Turkey
Categories: Turkey
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Clove garlic; minced
1/2 c Chopped onion
3 tb Margarine
1/2 c Chopped celery
2 tb Curry powder
1/4 c Flour
1 c Turkey broth
3/4 c Skim milk
Salt; if desired
2 c Diced cooked turkey

Sauce onion and garlic in margarine until soft but not browned. Add
celery and curry powder and cook 2-3 minutes longer.

Stir in flour. Add broth, milk and salt. Cook, stirring until sauce
boils thoroughly. Add turkey and heat through.

Serve over rice. Makes four 3/4 cup servings.

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

RECIPE FROM BUREAU OF NUTRITION,

NEW YORK DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH

From a collection of my mother's (Judy Hosey) recipe box which
contained lots of her favorite recipes, clippings, etc. Downloaded
from Glen's MM Recipe Archive, http://www.erols.com/hosey.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Easy Turkey Noodle Casserole
Categories: Main dish, Pasta, Casserole, Turkey
Yield: 4 Servings

1 cn Condenced cream of
- celery soup
1/2 c Milk
2 c Cooked medium egg noodles
1 c Cooked peas
2 tb Chopped sweet red pepper
1 1/2 c Turkey; cooked & cubed
1 tb Butter or margarine
2 tb Dry bread crumbs

In a 1 1/2 qt casserole, combine soup and milk. Stir in the noodles,
peas, red pepper and turkey. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 25 minutes
or until hot; stir. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat,
stir bread crumbs in hot butter until lightly browned. Top casserole
with the crumbs, then bake
5 minutes more.

Serves 4 (microwave 30 minutes or less).

From OFF DUTY/AMERICA magazine. February-March 93.

Shared by Robert Rostrup

From Gemini's MASSIVE MealMaster collection at www.synapse.com/~gemini

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sn need some turkey leftover help

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:48:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:33:21 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >

> >How about a turkey cobb salad?

> Oh, yum. Let's see . . . turkey, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, tomato,
> hard cooked egg, lettuce and dressing. What kind of dressing? -- I
> forget.
> Janet US

I would probably take the easy way out and make a blue cheese dressing
with that blue cheese, but here's a recipe for you.
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/...ic-cobb-salad/

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 16:10:52 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>> Janet US

>See if any of these fit. I filtered them out for another but somemay
>meet your needs.

snip a lot of good recipes for brevity
Thanks for going to all that trouble for me. The curried turkey and
rice caught my eye as well as the broccoli/turkey casserole. Thanks
again. I'm almost sorry that I'm out of turkey now. So many ideas.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-01 6:56 PM, sf wrote:

>> Oh, yum. Let's see . . . turkey, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, tomato,
>> hard cooked egg, lettuce and dressing. What kind of dressing? -- I
>> forget.
>> Janet US

> I would probably take the easy way out and make a blue cheese dressing
> with that blue cheese, but here's a recipe for you.
> http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/...ic-cobb-salad/

Hmmmm..... blue cheese and turkey? That doesn't really appeal to me. Is
there a dressing that contains mustard, something more than a home made
oil and vinegar with mustard as an emulsifier. I discovered a few years
ago that mustard goes well with turkey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Burritos with a turkey, black beans, rice , melted cheese, red pepper filling. PUt some lemon juice in there somewhere. -
My mother used to make a turkey pie, - lots of thin gravy, celery , maybe a carrot - over big fat biscuits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 16:10:52 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Janet Bostwick wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >

> >> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> >> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> >> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey

> sandwiches. >> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't
> want to do >> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise
> something as >> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I
> can go to the >> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms,
> pasta, rice, >> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
> >> Janet US

> > See if any of these fit. I filtered them out for another but somemay
> > meet your needs.

> snip a lot of good recipes for brevity
> Thanks for going to all that trouble for me. The curried turkey and
> rice caught my eye as well as the broccoli/turkey casserole. Thanks
> again. I'm almost sorry that I'm out of turkey now. So many ideas.
> Janet US

Welcome! They were not fancy but they were simple things to make up
and in general work well with cooked chicken as well.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 19:00:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2013-12-01 6:56 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> Oh, yum. Let's see . . . turkey, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, tomato,
> >> hard cooked egg, lettuce and dressing. What kind of dressing? -- I
> >> forget.
> >> Janet US

> > I would probably take the easy way out and make a blue cheese dressing
> > with that blue cheese, but here's a recipe for you.
> > http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/...ic-cobb-salad/
> >

> Hmmmm..... blue cheese and turkey? That doesn't really appeal to me.

Blue cheese and turkey are well matched.

> Is there a dressing that contains mustard, something more than a home made
> oil and vinegar with mustard as an emulsifier.

Not sure what you're looking for. Even honey mustard dressing is
pretty simple.
http://tarisota.typepad.com/my_weblo...-dressing.html

> I discovered a few years
> ago that mustard goes well with turkey.

If you're looking for something different, maybe this will appeal.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cranber...src=VD_Summary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:56:16 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:48:22 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 10:33:21 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Sunday, December 1, 2013 9:42:03 AM UTC-8, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> >

>> >How about a turkey cobb salad?

>> Oh, yum. Let's see . . . turkey, bacon, blue cheese, avocado, tomato,
>> hard cooked egg, lettuce and dressing. What kind of dressing? -- I
>> forget.
>> Janet US

>I would probably take the easy way out and make a blue cheese dressing
>with that blue cheese, but here's a recipe for you.
>http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/...ic-cobb-salad/

thanks for that. That is exactly the way I like my Cobb salad.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Turkey and rice casserole...use broth, celery, mushrooms, onion....throw some buttered crumbs on top, yum.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
> Janet US

Fried rice is the most logical solution to me.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Monday, December 2, 2013 9:18:31 AM UTC-8, Cindy Fuller wrote:

> Fried rice is the most logical solution to me.

Yes. Here's a description of a method since that's more important than the ingredients.
Flavor an egg with ground black pepper and a drop or two of sesame oil, then beat it with a fork. Set aside.
Chop the turkey into small, bite-sized pieces, set aside.
Chop a scallion into 1/4-inch rounds, set aside.
Thaw some peas in the microwave, set aside.
Prep additional, optional ingredients: a bok choy leaf, a fistful of water chestnuts or bamboo shoots, a handful of beansprouts, some mushrooms, and set aside.
Slice a quarter-sized piece of ginger.
Now get your wok or skillet hot. You're going to want to keep it very hot throughout the cooking. Add a tablespoon of oil (peanut is good; I use safflower; canola's okay if that's all you have.) and the beaten egg. Swirl the egg around to produce a thin pancake. Remove as soon as it has set. To a plate, where it will be cut into small pieces.
Add the slice of ginger and the turkey. Stir around and splash about a tablespoon of soy sauce over the turkey. Keep stirring until hot, then add the peas, scallion and optional ingredients. Stir until hot. Remove all to a bowl.
Find the ginger slice and add it back to the pan, or slice a new one. Add about 2 tablespoons more oil and let it get hot. Now add the cold, leftover, cooked rice and stir it around in the hot oil. If the rice is clumpy, crumble it in your hand (that is clean and rinsed in cold water). Fry the rice for a few minutes and then add back all the fillings, including the egg. Stir until hot, serve. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 09:18:31 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> I have about 2 cups of bits and pieces of turkey pulled from the
>> carcass. That's all that is left. I did turkey shepherds pie last
>> night, we had one meal of leftover dinner and had turkey sandwiches.
>> What can I do with these bits and pieces? I don't want to do
>> something eggy and would 'prefer' not to do mayonnaise something as
>> since my surgery mayonnaise and I are not friends. I can go to the
>> store if needed. I have onions, celery, mushrooms, pasta, rice,
>> potatoes and the usual frozen veggies. Help
>> Janet US

>Fried rice is the most logical solution to me.
>
>Cindy

For me the most logical and by far the easiest was a turkey sandwich,
on rye with buttermilk ranch.