Robert Bob Edwards

Default 411 on Leftover Turkey

My SO fixed a large turkey and we have half the bird left on the
carcass. Is there any way to reheat it on the carcass or do we have to
carve it and reheat the carvings?

John Gaughan

Robert Bob Edwards wrote:
> My SO fixed a large turkey and we have half the bird left on the
> carcass. Is there any way to reheat it on the carcass or do we have
> to carve it and reheat the carvings?

Carve it. Remove all the meat and pitch the carcass, or use it for
stock, or whatever. Then reheat the meat on its own, or even better, eat
it cold.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Ranee Mueller

In article >, John Gaughan
> wrote:

> Carve it. Remove all the meat and pitch the carcass, or use it for
> stock, or whatever. Then reheat the meat on its own, or even better, eat
> it cold.

Am I the only person who can't stand cold leftover poultry? It seems
to me that turkey and chicken especially, get that off taste within a
day of cooking them. I can eat them reheated for a day, but then, they
need to be in something else that is heavily seasoned/flavored for me to
eat them. I can't stand cold turkey or chicken sandwiches more than a
day after roasting, and am not particularly fond of them sooner. I do
like them in chicken salads/turkey salads, but again, they are flavored
quite a bit in those.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24
Dave Smith

Ranee Mueller wrote:

> Am I the only person who can't stand cold leftover poultry? It seems
> to me that turkey and chicken especially, get that off taste within a
> day of cooking them.

I doubt that you are the only one, but I like left over chicken. I am not
crazy about hot turkey and quickly tire of leftovers, but chicken is another
story. In fact, I sometimes like it better cold than it was hot out of the
oven. Chicken salad, chicken sandwiches, plain left over cold chicken.... it's
all great.

Steve Calvin

Dave Smith wrote:
> Ranee Mueller wrote:
>

>> Am I the only person who can't stand cold leftover poultry? It seems
>>to me that turkey and chicken especially, get that off taste within a
>>day of cooking them.

> I doubt that you are the only one, but I like left over chicken. I am not
> crazy about hot turkey and quickly tire of leftovers, but chicken is another
> story. In fact, I sometimes like it better cold than it was hot out of the
> oven. Chicken salad, chicken sandwiches, plain left over cold chicken.... it's
> all great.

I'm just the opposite. I like leftover turkey but chicken, no thanks.
I'll eat it hot but could definately even do without that.

--
Steve

Louis Cohen

Make turkey pot pie, freeze it, and eat it when you aren't sick of turkey.

--

Regards

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Ranee Mueller" > wrote in message
> In article >, John Gaughan
> > wrote:
>
> > Carve it. Remove all the meat and pitch the carcass, or use it for
> > stock, or whatever. Then reheat the meat on its own, or even better, eat
> > it cold.

> Am I the only person who can't stand cold leftover poultry? It seems
> to me that turkey and chicken especially, get that off taste within a
> day of cooking them. I can eat them reheated for a day, but then, they
> need to be in something else that is heavily seasoned/flavored for me to
> eat them. I can't stand cold turkey or chicken sandwiches more than a
> day after roasting, and am not particularly fond of them sooner. I do
> like them in chicken salads/turkey salads, but again, they are flavored
> quite a bit in those.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee
>
> --
> Remove do not and spam to e-mail me.
>
> "The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of
> heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man." Acts 17:24

Louis Cohen

Carve and make stock from the carcass.

Use the leftover turkey meat:

- in the soup
- turkey salad
- chef's salad
- turkey pot pie
- turkey hash
- ground up in ravioli filling, or sausage

--

"Robert "Bob" Edwards" > wrote in message
> My SO fixed a large turkey and we have half the bird left on the
> carcass. Is there any way to reheat it on the carcass or do we have to
> carve it and reheat the carvings?

Robert Bob Edwards

Thanks for all your answers. I had thought that we could heat up the
whole thing but it makes much more sense to carve it and heat only what
we want to eat immediately and freeze the rest.

BEE DAWG

Katra

BEE DAWG wrote:

> you need to remove it.......hey i made a great dish form the left over
> turkey....slice up turkey.....put some cream of mushroom soup over it
> ...then some diced green chilies and diced olives.....cover the top
> with cheese put in oven fer abot 45 min on 375........its some great
> stuff......

Gods. That sounds like one of my "midnight snack" recipes... ;-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra