Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Turkey Tetrazini (was What to do with leftover turkey)

Adapted from a recipe from Hearst's NY American (1911)

5 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup cream
2 Tbsp dry sherry or Madeira
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 lb. medium mushrooms
2 medium scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 lb spaghetti cooked al dente and drained well
1/2 cup diced canned pimentos
4 cups diced cooked turkey (or chicken)

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat 13x9x2 baking dish with nonstick cooking
spray and set aside. Melt 3 tbsp butter in medium heavy saucepan over
moderate heat. Blend in flour, add broth, then cook, stirring constantly,
until thickened and smooth - about 3 minutes. Mix in cream, sherry, 1/4 cup
of Pamesan, and pepper. Cook and stir 2 min. then set off from heat. Melt
remaining 2 tbsp butter in large heavy skillet over moderate heat. Add
mushrooms and scallions and stir-fry until limp. Toss spaghetti in large
bowl with sauce, mushroom mixture, pimentos and turkey. Transfer to
prepared baking dish and scatter remaining parmesan evenly over all.

Bake uncovered until bubbling and brown, 20-25 minutes.

Campbells Soup version:
1 10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk or evaporated skim milk
1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti

Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick
cooking spray and set aside. Mix mushroom soup, milk, onion, parmesan, and
sour cream in large bowl. Mix in turkey and zucchini. Add spaghetti and
toss gently. Turn inot casserole and bake, uncovered until bubbly and
tipped with brown - about 30 minutes.

Both taken from American Century Cookbook - Most popular recipes from the
20th Centure (1900 to 1999)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

That sounds really good...too bad I don't have any leftover turkey.
(or maybe it's a good thing I don't...been eating way too much! ;-)

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> Adapted from a recipe from Hearst's NY American (1911)
>
> 5 Tbsp butter
> 2 Tbsp flour
> 2 cups chicken broth
> 1 cup cream
> 2 Tbsp dry sherry or Madeira
> 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
> 1/4 tsp black pepper
> 3/4 lb. medium mushrooms
> 2 medium scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
> 1 lb spaghetti cooked al dente and drained well
> 1/2 cup diced canned pimentos
> 4 cups diced cooked turkey (or chicken)
>
> Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat 13x9x2 baking dish with nonstick
> cooking spray and set aside. Melt 3 tbsp butter in medium heavy saucepan
> over moderate heat. Blend in flour, add broth, then cook, stirring
> constantly, until thickened and smooth - about 3 minutes. Mix in cream,
> sherry, 1/4 cup of Pamesan, and pepper. Cook and stir 2 min. then set off
> from heat. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in large heavy skillet over
> moderate heat. Add mushrooms and scallions and stir-fry until limp. Toss
> spaghetti in large bowl with sauce, mushroom mixture, pimentos and turkey.
> Transfer to prepared baking dish and scatter remaining parmesan evenly
> over all.
>
> Bake uncovered until bubbling and brown, 20-25 minutes.
>

> Campbells Soup version:
> 1 10 3/4 oz. can condensed cream of mushroom soup
> 1/2 cup milk or evaporated skim milk
> 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
> 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
> 1/4 cup sour cream
> 1 1/2 cups diced cooked turkey
> 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
> 1 1/2 cups cooked spaghetti
>
> Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat 1 1/2 quart casserole with nonstick
> cooking spray and set aside. Mix mushroom soup, milk, onion, parmesan,
> and sour cream in large bowl. Mix in turkey and zucchini. Add spaghetti
> and toss gently. Turn inot casserole and bake, uncovered until bubbly and
> tipped with brown - about 30 minutes.
>

> Both taken from American Century Cookbook - Most popular recipes from the
> 20th Centure (1900 to 1999)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ginny wrote:

> Adapted from a recipe from Hearst's NY American (1911)
>
> 5 Tbsp butter
> 2 Tbsp flour
> 2 cups chicken broth
> 1 cup cream
> 2 Tbsp dry sherry or Madeira
> 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
> 1/4 tsp black pepper
> 3/4 lb. medium mushrooms
> 2 medium scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
> 1 lb spaghetti cooked al dente and drained well
> 1/2 cup diced canned pimentos
> 4 cups diced cooked turkey (or chicken)
>
> Preheat oven to 375. Lightly coat 13x9x2 baking dish with nonstick
> cooking spray and set aside. Melt 3 tbsp butter in medium heavy saucepan
> over moderate heat. Blend in flour, add broth, then cook, stirring
> constantly, until thickened and smooth - about 3 minutes. Mix in cream,
> sherry, 1/4 cup of Pamesan, and pepper. Cook and stir 2 min. then set off
> from heat. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter in large heavy skillet over
> moderate heat. Add mushrooms and scallions and stir-fry until limp. Toss
> spaghetti in large bowl with sauce, mushroom mixture, pimentos and turkey.
> Transfer to prepared baking dish and scatter remaining parmesan evenly
> over all.
>
> Bake uncovered until bubbling and brown, 20-25 minutes.

That looks about right, but I'd add some parsley, and maybe some thyme.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> Adapted from a recipe from Hearst's NY American (1911)
>
> 5 Tbsp butter
> 2 Tbsp flour
> 2 cups chicken broth

You really should use turkey stock instead of chicken stock. The chicken
stock will overwhelm, and the turkey meat taste will be lost.
Since you are making this leftover turkey. Strip the carcass of any leftover
meat you want to use. Then make the turkey stock, browning the skeleton et
al with onion, carrot and celery in the oven first.
Use the turkey stock for the Tetrazzini, or any leftover turkey dish.
MOST important, freeze and save turkey stock for the next turkey gravy.
Turkey dinner takes on a whole new meaning when accompanied with a turkey
stock based gravy.

Kent