Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pumkins and Goats.

Hello!
Due to a move I have lost some recipes. These include the pumpkin
ones. I grew about ten of the big orange ones (not the best type for eating
I have been told) and come the end of them the kids shouting "No More
Pumpkin Soup or we'll Hurl!" was a common sound.
Anyway, I'm after trying soup and pie again. The soup was very
simple. Pumpkin, onions and stock with some interesting spices. The pie was
almost like an open custard tart. I could start from scratch and experiment
but I thought someone in here may have a favourite / traditional recipe they
might like to share. I've been looking around the web and there are so many
variations (google pumpkin pie / soup and you'll see what I mean) that some
real, live human input would seem a better way to go. A few words about
someone's favourite recipe is worth a stack of plain recipes printed off
from web sites.
So, any good recipes? Anything to avoid? My partner can't eat bovine
dairy but dairy from any other species is fine. Goat milk, butter is
available nearly everywhere now. Even sainsburys has some excellent sheep
cheese we use on Italian dishes (Casa de Manchego) so this sensitivity to
cow's milk must be pretty common if the big name stores are catering for it.

Whoops... rambling, sorry! Any tips greatly appreciated )

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains
drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Les Hemmings > wrote:

> So, any good recipes? Anything to avoid? My partner can't eat bovine
> dairy but dairy from any other species is fine.

Here is a nice, simple pumpkin soup recipe I posted before. It is from
_Twelve Months of Monastery Soups_ by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila
Latourrette. Feel free to use goat milk in it. You can also use stock
instead of water.

Victor

Potage au Potiron
Pumpkin Soup
6-8 servings

6 cups water (more if necessary)
4 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 carrots, large, thinly sliced
2 onions, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
pinch tarragon
salt and pepper to taste
1 quart milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped

1. Pour the 6 cups of water into a large pot. Add the pumpkin with the
potatoes and the carrot and bring to a boil. Add the onion, minced
garlic, tarragon, salt and pepper and continue boiling for about 20
minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for another 20 minutes.

2. Blend the soup in a blender and then pour it back into the pot. Add
the milk and the oil, stirring well, and over low heat bring the soup to
a boil again. Simmer for about 10 minutes and serve immediately in
well-heated soup bowls, garnishing each with a pinch of parsley.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Les Hemmings wrote:

> Anyway, I'm after trying soup and pie again. The soup was very
> simple. Pumpkin, onions and stock with some interesting spices. The pie was
> almost like an open custard tart. I could start from scratch and experiment
> but I thought someone in here may have a favourite / traditional recipe they
> might like to share. I've been looking around the web and there are so many
> variations (google pumpkin pie / soup and you'll see what I mean) that some
> real, live human input would seem a better way to go. A few words about
> someone's favourite recipe is worth a stack of plain recipes printed off
> from web sites.
> So, any good recipes? Anything to avoid?

Are you looking for recipes that use pumpkin as a sweet or savory? For
a sweet, your best bet is the recipe from the Libby's can substituting
goat milk for the evaporated.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:

> Potage au Potiron
> Pumpkin Soup
> 6-8 servings

Interesting Victor! Adding veggie oil so late on is strange. Have you
tried it out? Perhaps saute all the veg in 1/3 cup cold pressed olive oil to
get a little colour / flavour into the veg before adding the water. Then
leave out the oil. Hmmmm... I might have some chicken carcass stock in the
freezer. I could use that instead of the water.

Looks a good recipe to start with and to experiment a little... Much
appreciated!

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Julia!

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> Are you looking for recipes that use pumpkin as a sweet or savory?

Both... will try anything new and interesting.

> For a sweet, your best bet is the recipe from the Libby's can

Tinned pumpkin! Whatever next? I have never seen it here in the UK. Is it
just pumkin puree or does it have stabilisers, sweetners, preservatives
etc.? We try and keep things additive free if we can. I'll have a look for
it though, perhaps their website has the recipe. I'll take a look.

> substituting goat milk for the evaporated.

I've never seen evaporated goat's milk. Never tried to make it either. Is
evap. milk just simmered till it thickens and then sweetened? That would be
a difficult substitution i think.

Nice one Julia, off to do some research on tinned pumkin...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our
brains drop out. (Richard Dawkins)

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.richarddawkins.net/index.php

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pumpkins and Goats.

Les Hemmings wrote:

> Tinned pumpkin! Whatever next? I have never seen it here in the UK. Is it
> just pumkin puree or does it have stabilisers, sweetners, preservatives
> etc.? We try and keep things additive free if we can. I'll have a look for
> it though, perhaps their website has the recipe. I'll take a look.

It comes as both plain pumpkin and canned pumpkin pie mix. You have to
look carefully to make sure you're getting the right one. I was
thinking of one that's plain canned pumpkin with a single ingredient
listed: pumpkin. Then you add the rest of the ingredients yourself
when you make the pie. The recipe is on the can.

> I've never seen evaporated goat's milk. Never tried to make it either. Is
> evap. milk just simmered till it thickens and then sweetened?

I should have been more clear. The recipe calls for evaporated milk
(different from condensed milk which has sugar added). I always
substitute plain fresh cow's milk or cream, and it comes out fine.
(Maybe I have to bake it a little longer.) I was thinking you could
substitute plain fresh goat's milk. Really, it is a very forgiving
recipe, one of those classics that everyone loves and that always works.

Oh, and about the availability of goat's and ewe's milk cheeses, I don't
think the importers are going only for the market of folks who have
trouble with cow's milk. I think everyone is just getting more
sophisticated about the number of wonderful cheeses out there and
catering to the desire for variety. I can digest cow's milk fine, but
adore goat cheeses too.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Les Hemmings wrote:
> Hi Julia!
>
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>

>> Are you looking for recipes that use pumpkin as a sweet or savory?

> Both... will try anything new and interesting.
>
>> For a sweet, your best bet is the recipe from the Libby's can

> Tinned pumpkin! Whatever next? I have never seen it here in the UK.
> Is it just pumkin puree or does it have stabilisers, sweetners,
> preservatives etc.?

It's just tinned pumpkin puree. I checked the can in my pantry to be sure;
ingredients: pumpkin

The sweetened spiced stuff is tinned pumpkin *pie* filling. Definitely not
what you want for soup!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Les Hemmings" > wrote in message
> Hi Julia!
>
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>

>> Are you looking for recipes that use pumpkin as a sweet or savory?

> Both... will try anything new and interesting.

I don't have the recipe for my kids' favorite Gingered Pumpkin Soup, but
this one is very, very close:

a.. 1 1/2 - 2 Pound Fresh Pumpkin, seed and skin removed, diced
b.. 1/2 Pound Yukon Potatoes, peeled and diced
c.. 2 Tablespoons of Fresh Ginger, minced
d.. 1/2 Sweet Yellow Onion, sliced thin
e.. 4 Cups Vegetable Stock or Water
f.. 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
g.. 1/2 Cup Cream Sherry
h.. 1 Cup Heavy Cream
i.. 2 Tablespoons Butter, unsalted
j.. 4 Ounces Gruyere Cheese, grated, for garnish
Heat the butter over medium heat in a large heavy pot. Add the onions and
cook until soft and translucent (about 10 minutes). Add the pumpkin, ginger,
and potatoes. Cook for another 3 minutes.
Add the stock or water, orange juice, and sherry.

Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until pumpkin is soft and easily pierced
with a fork (about 1 hour).

Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
Transfer back to the pot and stir in the heavy cream. Season with salt and
pepper.

Sprinkle Gruyere over individual portions and serve with a hearty bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Les Hemmings wrote:
> Hello!
> Anyway, I'm after trying soup and pie again.
> Les

How about pumpkin bread? I just found this mixed in with the cookies
section of my handwritten recipe cards and recall it was very tasty and very
timely for October I hope you can convert the U.S. measures to UK
measures; if not there's a handy conversion chart available online he

http://www.pioneerthinking.com/measure.html

Pumpkins Loaves

3/4 c. cooked mashed pumpkin
1/3 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg
1-3/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 c. milk (okay, goats milk)
1/4 c. vegetable oil

Beat together pumpkin, sugar and vanilla with a hand mixer set to medium,
about 1 minute. Add eggs and beat well. In a large mixing bowl sift
together flour and the dried spices. And pumpkin mixture alternately with
milk and oil, mixing well at low speed. Pour the batter into two small
bread loaf pans (oiled or sprayed with a cooking spray). Bake at 350F for
45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, then remove the loaves from the pans and cool
completely on wire racks.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Les Hemmings > wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > Potage au Potiron
> > Pumpkin Soup
> > 6-8 servings
> >

> Interesting Victor! Adding veggie oil so late on is strange. Have you
> tried it out? Perhaps saute all the veg in 1/3 cup cold pressed olive oil to
> get a little colour / flavour into the veg before adding the water. Then
> leave out the oil.

The oil just adds some "substance" to the soup. This works well enough,
but of course you can try it the way you suggest above.

> Hmmmm... I might have some chicken carcass stock in the
> freezer. I could use that instead of the water.

In which case you could consider leaving out the oil altogether, as the
stock will add enough "substance" of its own.

Victor

Pumkins and Cows Les Hemmings Recipes 0 28-10-2006 09:50 PM
TSEs are popping up in goats now. usual suspect Vegan 2 20-01-2005 12:10 AM
TSEs are popping up in goats now. Scented Nectar Vegan 0 19-01-2005 09:50 PM
Little Pumkins? The Tex Mex Mexican Cooking 12 11-11-2003 01:09 AM