usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
> Below is from a ProMed posting:
>
> TSE, GOATS - EU: 1ST SEMESTER, 2004

<...>
> Brain disease in Greek goats
> -----------------------------
> 12 Greek goats were found to be suffering from the brain-wasting disease
> scrapie in the 1st half of 2004, EU figures that were made public
> yesterday

There is no scientific evidence to indicate that scrapie poses a
risk to human health. There is no epidemiologic evidence that
scrapie of sheep and goats is transmitted to humans, such as
through contact on the farm, at slaughter plants, or butcher
shops.
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...ahscrapie.html

Scrapie is specific to sheep and goats. Scrapie does not infect humans.
Stop with the scare-mongering, dummy.
Scented Nectar

Default TSEs are popping up in goats now.

> There is no scientific evidence to indicate that scrapie poses a
> risk to human health. There is no epidemiologic evidence that
> scrapie of sheep and goats is transmitted to humans, such as
> through contact on the farm, at slaughter plants, or butcher
> shops.
> http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...ahscrapie.html
>
> Scrapie is specific to sheep and goats. Scrapie does not infect

humans.
> Stop with the scare-mongering, dummy.

They're worried that the goat may have gotten the
bovine version:

"Meanwhile, tests are continuing in the case of a French
goat slaughtered in 2002, which experts think may have
developed BSE [See comment]."

"On 30 Nov 2004, EU's Spongiform Encephalopathy
Advisory Committee (SEAC) was informed that a definitive
interpretation of the French data on a goat suspected of
BSE could not be provided by the Community Reference
Laboratory (CRL) for TSEs (based in Weybridge, England)
until further data from mouse bioassays were available in
about 2 months. Those results are anticipated with great interest."

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

pearl

"Scented Nectar" > wrote in message ...
> > There is no scientific evidence to indicate that scrapie poses a
> > risk to human health. There is no epidemiologic evidence that
> > scrapie of sheep and goats is transmitted to humans, such as
> > through contact on the farm, at slaughter plants, or butcher
> > shops.
> > http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/pubs/f...ahscrapie.html
> >
> > Scrapie is specific to sheep and goats. Scrapie does not infect

> humans.
> > Stop with the scare-mongering, dummy.

> They're worried that the goat may have gotten the
> bovine version:
>
> "Meanwhile, tests are continuing in the case of a French
> goat slaughtered in 2002, which experts think may have
> developed BSE [See comment]."
>
> "On 30 Nov 2004, EU's Spongiform Encephalopathy
> Advisory Committee (SEAC) was informed that a definitive
> interpretation of the French data on a goat suspected of
> BSE could not be provided by the Community Reference
> Laboratory (CRL) for TSEs (based in Weybridge, England)
> until further data from mouse bioassays were available in
> about 2 months. Those results are anticipated with great interest."

'New research by Professor Stanley Prusiner strongly suggests
that the infective prion agent that causes BSE is found in sheep
but at levels which have, until now, been undetectable. Prusiner,
professor of neurology at the University of California in San
Francisco, won the the Nobel prize for discovering prions. His
laboratories are among the world leaders in such research.

Last week he said: "The implication of our latest work is that
BSE is endemic throughout the British national sheep flock."
A paper due out shortly in EMBO Journal by Raymond, Bossers,
Caughey, et al. supports some aspects of Prusiner's position. The
in vitro conversion test shows scrapie, BSE, and CWD have low
but non-zero risks of converting human prion to the abnormal form;
this has been a reliable proxy in the past. While it isn't clear yet
whether the same strain of scrapie mentioned by Prusiner was
among those studied, taken together it would seem that some strains
of scrapie might be of special concern in regards to direct sheep
scrapie to human transmission. The new data is much stronger than,
and trumps, older epidemiological questionaires about scrapie and
CJD that the industry has relied on.
http://www.mad-cow.org/00/jul00_dont_eat_sheep.html .