Old 27-10-2006, 05:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wooden cutting board sanitation

I once read in a Chinese cookbook to wash a wooden cutting board with soap
and water, rinse, then wipe as dry as you can get it.... then wash it with
lemon or lime juice... then wipe it down and rub in peanut oil to preserve
it. I believe this procedure is for a board that is used very often. The
peanut oil will eventually go bad.

Old 27-10-2006, 06:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"theChas." wrote:

I once read in a Chinese cookbook to wash a wooden cutting board with soap
and water, rinse, then wipe as dry as you can get it.... then wash it with
lemon or lime juice... then wipe it down and rub in peanut oil to preserve
it. I believe this procedure is for a board that is used very often. The
peanut oil will eventually go bad.

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb
Old 27-10-2006, 07:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 01:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

....which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

Old 27-10-2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

I've never had a rancid cutting board thank you. ;-)
I use it too frequently and wash it with hot soap and water after use.

I only oil it when it needs a bit of conditioning.

Do you even use a wood cutting board? I'm betting not......
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 02:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

[...]

I only use a wooden cutting board for slicing bread, and never for
"flavored" breads. I know some authorities say wooden boards aren't more
prone to bacterial parties than the white nylon ones, but I don't believe
it. I believe my nose. I don't care if you bathe your wooden cutting board
in Chanel No. 5 - I'll still be able to tell you what food was on it most
recently.

Old 27-10-2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.

Why spend the extra money for EVOO when simple vegetable oil would do
the same?
Old 27-10-2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

And costs more per ounce too.
Old 27-10-2006, 05:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.

Why spend the extra money for EVOO when simple vegetable oil would do
the same?

I don't buy vegetable oil.
I don't like it.

I only use EVOO and peanut oil and the peanut oil is used for deep
frying.

It's not like it takes a lot to oil a board. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

And costs more per ounce too.

You worry too much about the cost of a measly oz. (or less) of oil.
It's not like I oil my boards every day. ;-)

Why are you always so negative?????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.

....which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

Yeah, well, that's the theory. You might want to smell the
pecan wood cutting board in my kitchen. My grandfather made
it more than 95 years ago. Been oiled with olive oil
forever. Only the barest hint of scent at all and it's a
good, clean food smell.

I used mineral oil once on one of my wooden boards. I didn't
like the smell and it didn't do anything better than
vegetable oils can do. There's always a lot of discussion
about rancidity in oils and I suspect that it's a distant
threat for most, not something they've actually encountered
much. In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Pastorio
Old 27-10-2006, 06:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Bob (this one)" wrote:

Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Pastorio

Point!!!!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-10-2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om
...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

And costs more per ounce too.

You worry too much about the cost of a measly oz. (or less) of oil.
It's not like I oil my boards every day. ;-)

Why are you always so negative?????

Since you frequently bemoan your expenditures I figure it might behoove
you to be aware of the wasted cost of olive oil when cheaper oils work
just as well.
Why aren't you very bright, I might ask?
Old 27-10-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:
In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Rancid oil won't hurt you? I thought it was responsible for severe
diarrhea when injested in even small quantities. I agree with you about
the soapy water (and maybe a little scrubbing) to get rid of any oil.

--Lia