Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wooden cutting board sanitation

I once read in a Chinese cookbook to wash a wooden cutting board with soap
and water, rinse, then wipe as dry as you can get it.... then wash it with
lemon or lime juice... then wipe it down and rub in peanut oil to preserve
it. I believe this procedure is for a board that is used very often. The
peanut oil will eventually go bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"theChas." > wrote:

> I once read in a Chinese cookbook to wash a wooden cutting board with soap
> and water, rinse, then wipe as dry as you can get it.... then wash it with
> lemon or lime juice... then wipe it down and rub in peanut oil to preserve
> it. I believe this procedure is for a board that is used very often. The
> peanut oil will eventually go bad.

Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
rancid.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
> rancid.

Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
> > rancid.

> Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
> you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
> mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.
>
> nb

Note I said "recommended".

Personally, I use EVOO.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2006-10-27, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>>
>> > Mineral oil is generally the recommended oil.... It does not usually go
>> > rancid.

>> Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
>> you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
>> mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.
>>
>> nb

> Note I said "recommended".
>
> Personally, I use EVOO.
> --
> Peace, Om

....which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,
> > notbob > wrote:

> >> Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
> >> you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
> >> mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.
> >>
> >> nb

> > Note I said "recommended".
> >
> > Personally, I use EVOO.
> > --
> > Peace, Om

> ...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

I've never had a rancid cutting board thank you. ;-)
I use it too frequently and wash it with hot soap and water after use.

I only oil it when it needs a bit of conditioning.

Do you even use a wood cutting board? I'm betting not......
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Note I said "recommended".
>> >
>> > Personally, I use EVOO.
>> > --
>> > Peace, Om

>> ...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

> I've never had a rancid cutting board thank you. ;-)
> I use it too frequently and wash it with hot soap and water after use.
>
> I only oil it when it needs a bit of conditioning.
>
> Do you even use a wood cutting board? I'm betting not......
> --
> Peace, Om

I only use a wooden cutting board for slicing bread, and never for
"flavored" breads. I know some authorities say wooden boards aren't more
prone to bacterial parties than the white nylon ones, but I don't believe
it. I believe my nose. I don't care if you bathe your wooden cutting board
in Chanel No. 5 - I'll still be able to tell you what food was on it most
recently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Note I said "recommended".
>
> Personally, I use EVOO.

Why spend the extra money for EVOO when simple vegetable oil would do
the same?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> Personally, I use EVOO.
>> --
>> Peace, Om

> ...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

And costs more per ounce too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > Note I said "recommended".
> >
> > Personally, I use EVOO.

> Why spend the extra money for EVOO when simple vegetable oil would do
> the same?

I don't buy vegetable oil.
I don't like it.

I only use EVOO and peanut oil and the peanut oil is used for deep
frying.

It's not like it takes a lot to oil a board. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
> >> Personally, I use EVOO.
> >> --
> >> Peace, Om

> > ...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.
> >

> And costs more per ounce too.

You worry too much about the cost of a measly oz. (or less) of oil.
It's not like I oil my boards every day. ;-)

Why are you always so negative?????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news
>> In article >,
>> notbob > wrote:

>>> Repeated washings with soap and water will remove the oil as fast as
>>> you can apply it and prevent the oil from becoming rancid. As for
>>> mineral oil, I try to avoid using petroleum products for my food.
>>>
>>> nb

>> Note I said "recommended".
>>
>> Personally, I use EVOO.

> ....which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.

Yeah, well, that's the theory. You might want to smell the
pecan wood cutting board in my kitchen. My grandfather made
it more than 95 years ago. Been oiled with olive oil
forever. Only the barest hint of scent at all and it's a
good, clean food smell.

I used mineral oil once on one of my wooden boards. I didn't
like the smell and it didn't do anything better than
vegetable oils can do. There's always a lot of discussion
about rancidity in oils and I suspect that it's a distant
threat for most, not something they've actually encountered
much. In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.
>
> Pastorio

Point!!!!!!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:

>>> ...which becomes rancid, like all vegetable oils.
>>>

>> And costs more per ounce too.

> You worry too much about the cost of a measly oz. (or less) of oil.
> It's not like I oil my boards every day. ;-)
>
> Why are you always so negative?????

Since you frequently bemoan your expenditures I figure it might behoove
you to be aware of the wasted cost of olive oil when cheaper oils work
just as well.
Why aren't you very bright, I might ask?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:
In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
> toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

Rancid oil won't hurt you? I thought it was responsible for severe
diarrhea when injested in even small quantities. I agree with you about
the soapy water (and maybe a little scrubbing) to get rid of any oil.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:

> >> And costs more per ounce too.

> > You worry too much about the cost of a measly oz. (or less) of oil.
> > It's not like I oil my boards every day. ;-)
> >
> > Why are you always so negative?????

> Since you frequently bemoan your expenditures I figure it might behoove
> you to be aware of the wasted cost of olive oil when cheaper oils work
> just as well.
> Why aren't you very bright, I might ask?

Tsk. Now I remember why I killfiled you in the first place. Too bad I
set your filter to expire.

Back into the Bozo bin with you!

<plonk>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> Tsk. Now I remember why I killfiled you in the first place. Too bad I
> set your filter to expire.
>
> Back into the Bozo bin with you!
>
> <plonk>

I don't believe you did it in the first place. Now go do another 'shroom
and have a stiff drink. You're struggling here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
> In any event, rancid oil won't hurt you; it's not
>> toxic. Soapy water gets rid of oils, rancid or not.

> Rancid oil won't hurt you? I thought it was responsible for severe
> diarrhea when injested in even small quantities. I agree with you about
> the soapy water (and maybe a little scrubbing) to get rid of any oil.

Severely rancid oils are reportedly able to mess with
genetic material. But even considering consuming severely
rancid oils means you have no sense of smell. It stinks. But
no diarrhea. It's still just oil, just peroxidated.
Rancidity is a gradual process. It doesn't just happen -
click - overnight. And it takes a long time. Months, at
least. Except for a few oils like flaxseed oil.

I've been oiling wooden cutting boards with vegetable oils
for decades. Never had any rancidification. Period. I
seriously doubt very many folk have actually ever smelled
truly rancid oils.

I had someone call me on the radio about a bottle of canola
oil for me to tell her if it was rancid. She said it smelled
"bitter." I said does it seem to have a distant cabbage
smell? She said yes. I said that's canola oil. Enjoy.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> I had someone call me on the radio about a bottle of canola
> oil for me to tell her if it was rancid. She said it smelled
> "bitter." I said does it seem to have a distant cabbage
> smell? She said yes. I said that's canola oil. Enjoy.
>
> Pastorio

<lol>

I won't use canola oil for _anything_!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>
>> I had someone call me on the radio about a bottle of canola
>> oil for me to tell her if it was rancid. She said it smelled
>> "bitter." I said does it seem to have a distant cabbage
>> smell? She said yes. I said that's canola oil. Enjoy.
>>
>> Pastorio

> <lol>
>
> I won't use canola oil for _anything_!

Me neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does taste rancid!

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/view/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
news
> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>>
>>> I had someone call me on the radio about a bottle of canola
>>> oil for me to tell her if it was rancid. She said it smelled
>>> "bitter." I said does it seem to have a distant cabbage
>>> smell? She said yes. I said that's canola oil. Enjoy.
>>>
>>> Pastorio

>> <lol>
>>
>> I won't use canola oil for _anything_!

> Me neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does taste rancid!
>
> kili

Fresh canola oil tastes rancid to
you??????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Severely rancid oils are reportedly able to mess with genetic material.
> But even considering consuming severely rancid oils means you have no
> sense of smell. It stinks. But no diarrhea. It's still just oil, just
> peroxidated. Rancidity is a gradual process. It doesn't just happen -
> click - overnight. And it takes a long time. Months, at least. Except
> for a few oils like flaxseed oil.

Thanks for your answer. Usually I trust anything you say, but in this
case, if I'm going to be honest, I'm still not convinced. Let me ask
the question another way. (And then I'll stop bothering you and do my
own research.) Back in my health food days and before I learned better,
I used to buy unrefined oils and eat foods made with unrefined oils.
They were not refrigerated before use. I sometimes got the severe
diarrhea reaction, asked about it and was told that the unrefined oils
had gone rancid. My brother described the same on his part and on the
part of several guests when he used a refined oil (soy or corn bought at
the supermarket) that had been in his cupboard for who knows how long.
(He didn't do much cooking at home.) I've always laid the blame on the
oil. If it wasn't the oil, could it have been something else?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Severely rancid oils are reportedly able to mess with genetic material.
>> But even considering consuming severely rancid oils means you have no
>> sense of smell. It stinks. But no diarrhea. It's still just oil, just
>> peroxidated. Rancidity is a gradual process. It doesn't just happen -
>> click - overnight. And it takes a long time. Months, at least. Except for
>> a few oils like flaxseed oil.

> Thanks for your answer. Usually I trust anything you say, but in this
> case, if I'm going to be honest, I'm still not convinced. Let me ask the
> question another way. (And then I'll stop bothering you and do my own
> research.) Back in my health food days and before I learned better, I
> used to buy unrefined oils and eat foods made with unrefined oils. They
> were not refrigerated before use. I sometimes got the severe diarrhea
> reaction, asked about it and was told that the unrefined oils had gone
> rancid. My brother described the same on his part and on the part of
> several guests when he used a refined oil (soy or corn bought at the
> supermarket) that had been in his cupboard for who knows how long. (He
> didn't do much cooking at home.) I've always laid the blame on the oil.
> If it wasn't the oil, could it have been something else?
>

> --Lia

The only thing I recall about rancid oils (probably from Moosewood Cookbook,
many years ago) is that they could theoretically interfere with your body's
absorption of vitamin E. But, I wouldn't bet on it until researching it
further.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> news
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

>>> <lol>
>>>
>>> I won't use canola oil for _anything_!

>> Me neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does taste rancid!
>>
>> kili

> Fresh canola oil tastes rancid to
> you?

Yes, it does. My husband and I had this discussion before and I asked him
why he always bought canola oil. He told me because his mother always got
it. So, we did a taste test between canola oil and corn oil. Now we *only*
buy corn oil - well, of course we buy Olive oil, too.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/view/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
news
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "kilikini" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> Me neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does taste rancid!
>>>
>>> kili

>> Fresh canola oil tastes rancid to
>> you?

> Yes, it does. My husband and I had this discussion before and I asked him
> why he always bought canola oil. He told me because his mother always got
> it. So, we did a taste test between canola oil and corn oil. Now we
> *only*
> buy corn oil - well, of course we buy Olive oil, too.
>
> kili

Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Severely rancid oils are reportedly able to mess with genetic
>> material. But even considering consuming severely rancid oils means
>> you have no sense of smell. It stinks. But no diarrhea. It's still
>> just oil, just peroxidated. Rancidity is a gradual process. It doesn't
>> just happen - click - overnight. And it takes a long time. Months, at
>> least. Except for a few oils like flaxseed oil.

> Thanks for your answer. Usually I trust anything you say, but in this
> case, if I'm going to be honest, I'm still not convinced. Let me ask
> the question another way. (And then I'll stop bothering you and do my
> own research.) Back in my health food days and before I learned better,
> I used to buy unrefined oils and eat foods made with unrefined oils.
> They were not refrigerated before use. I sometimes got the severe
> diarrhea reaction, asked about it and was told that the unrefined oils
> had gone rancid. My brother described the same on his part and on the
> part of several guests when he used a refined oil (soy or corn bought at
> the supermarket) that had been in his cupboard for who knows how long.
> (He didn't do much cooking at home.) I've always laid the blame on the
> oil. If it wasn't the oil, could it have been something else?

Rancid oils truly stink up a kitchen. They smell very bad.
Not much chance of mistaking them. The English word "rank"
comes from the same Latin root.

This "explanation" is what I mean when I say that most
people never actually come in contact with rancid oils. Were
you stir-frying a whole lot of farty veggies with those
oils? Lots of tofu? Heavy concentration on carbs? Lots of dairy?

The oils - any fats and oils - will help, um, smooth the
way out for, uh, used foods. As, conversely, an extremely
low fat diet will cause constipation. But a bit more oil
won't open the floodgates, as it were. I thought I did that
with uncharacteristically euphemistic obtuseness.

Degree in English, doncha know...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> news
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Fresh canola oil tastes rancid to
>>> you?

>> Yes, it does. My husband and I had this discussion before and I asked him
>> why he always bought canola oil. He told me because his mother always got
>> it. So, we did a taste test between canola oil and corn oil. Now we
>> *only*
>> buy corn oil - well, of course we buy Olive oil, too.
>>
>> kili

> Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sure. Now, thanks to you, there's an international
shortage of question marks and exclamation points. What's it
going to be next, punctuation boy, semi-colons? <G>

Speaking of semi-colons, I haven't seen Sheldon posting much
in the past couple days...

No, seriously...

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> news
> > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> >> <lol>
> >>
> >> I won't use canola oil for _anything_!

> > Me neither!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It does taste rancid!
> >
> > kili

> Fresh canola oil tastes rancid to
> you??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????
> ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????

I agree with her.
I also hate the way it smells.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default wooden cutting board sanitation (rancid oils)

Bob (this one) wrote:

> Rancid oils truly stink up a kitchen. They smell very bad. Not much
> chance of mistaking them. The English word "rank" comes from the same
> Latin root.
>
> This "explanation" is what I mean when I say that most people never
> actually come in contact with rancid oils. Were you stir-frying a whole
> lot of farty veggies with those oils? Lots of tofu? Heavy concentration
> on carbs? Lots of dairy?

None of those. I'm guessing now that I just have trouble with certain
green oils like the super fresh olive oils, the oils found in blue fish,
and the unprocessed ones found in health food stores.

(And I do appreciate your, ahem, delicacy, though I erased it. English
major here too.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:45:53 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Thanks for your answer. Usually I trust anything you say, but in this
>case, if I'm going to be honest, I'm still not convinced.

<snip>

Lia - Forget about wooden cutting boards and get thee hence to buy a
bamboo cutting board. They are even stronger than wood and will not
split, swell, or absorb moisture.They're a grass, after all. I've had
a bamboo cutting board for about 8 months now and it doesn't have a
nick on it. The downside is that they're harder on knife edges, so you
have to straighten your knives more often. I, for one, don't care if I
have to straighten my knives more often. Bamboo is just *cleaner* than
wood, IMHO. I scrub my bamboo cutting board with soap and water after
each use and it dries within seconds of having washed it. It just
*sheds* the moisture.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:54:40 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's with all the !!!!s and ????s ? One will suffice nicely, two for
that special 'effect' you are trying to achieve with your string of
shhh tuff. Sorry for being suh a curmudgeon today!

--
Zilbandy - Tucson, Arizona USA >
Dead Suburban's Home Page: http://zilbandy.com/suburb/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Lia - Forget about wooden cutting boards and get thee hence to buy a
> bamboo cutting board. They are even stronger than wood and will not
> split, swell, or absorb moisture.They're a grass, after all. I've had
> a bamboo cutting board for about 8 months now and it doesn't have a
> nick on it. The downside is that they're harder on knife edges, so you
> have to straighten your knives more often. I, for one, don't care if I
> have to straighten my knives more often. Bamboo is just *cleaner* than
> wood, IMHO. I scrub my bamboo cutting board with soap and water after
> each use and it dries within seconds of having washed it. It just
> *sheds* the moisture.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I've seen those for sale and have been tempted. :-) They are very pretty
but a bit pricey.

Do you prefer the "butcher block" style or the solid sheet ones?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:

> Lia - Forget about wooden cutting boards and get thee hence to buy a
> bamboo cutting board. They are even stronger than wood and will not
> split, swell, or absorb moisture.They're a grass, after all. I've had
> a bamboo cutting board for about 8 months now and it doesn't have a
> nick on it. The downside is that they're harder on knife edges, so you
> have to straighten your knives more often. I, for one, don't care if I
> have to straighten my knives more often. Bamboo is just *cleaner* than
> wood, IMHO. I scrub my bamboo cutting board with soap and water after
> each use and it dries within seconds of having washed it. It just
> *sheds* the moisture.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd have a wooden cutting board and would
wash it with soap and water (with drop of bleach now and then) as has
been suggested earlier in this thread. It isn't entirely up to me. Jim
likes the hard plastic ones, and he does the lion's share of the
clean-up so we go with his preference. They go in the dishwasher and
get sanitized that way.

I've seen the bamboo boards and agree that they're beautiful. Maybe
someday.

There's a news article that I saw maybe 15 years ago that I wish I'd
saved as I haven't seen anything on it since. It was evidence that
wooden cutting boards actually are cleaner than plastic ones. As I
remember it, some researchers were trying to come up the perfect cutting
board, something that was as sanitary as a plastic one but also as easy
on knife edges as the oak wooden ones. In order to begin, they needed
accurate measurements of bacteria growth on the different surfaces so
they tried the different boards with different foods on them washed in
different ways and after different lengths of time. To their surprise,
the wooden boards had natural anti-bacterial properties that the plastic
ones lacked. The wooden boards were actually cleaner than the plastic
from the start.

And that's all I remember. I wish someone would check my work. I can't
give you a source or tell you if their conclusions were reproduced.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zilbandy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:54:40 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>Interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> What's with all the !!!!s and ????s ? One will suffice nicely, two for
> that special 'effect' you are trying to achieve with your string of
> shhh tuff. Sorry for being suh a curmudgeon today!

I was making fun of kilikini's abundance of exclamation points.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler > wrote in

> There's a news article that I saw maybe 15 years ago that I
> wish I'd saved as I haven't seen anything on it since. It was
> evidence that wooden cutting boards actually are cleaner than
> plastic ones. As I remember it, some researchers were trying
> to come up the perfect cutting board, something that was as
> sanitary as a plastic one but also as easy on knife edges as
> the oak wooden ones. In order to begin, they needed accurate
> measurements of bacteria growth on the different surfaces so
> they tried the different boards with different foods on them
> washed in different ways and after different lengths of time.
> To their surprise, the wooden boards had natural
> anti-bacterial properties that the plastic ones lacked. The
> wooden boards were actually cleaner than the plastic from the
> start.
>

> And that's all I remember. I wish someone would check my
> work. I can't give you a source or tell you if their
> conclusions were reproduced.
>

> --Lia

Hi Lia

Here are a few links that will help.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Cutti...s/AllAbout.htm

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/woodvsplascu.html

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...tingboard.shtm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> There's a news article that I saw maybe 15 years ago that I wish I'd
> saved as I haven't seen anything on it since. It was evidence that
> wooden cutting boards actually are cleaner than plastic ones. As I
> remember it, some researchers were trying to come up the perfect cutting
> board, something that was as sanitary as a plastic one but also as easy
> on knife edges as the oak wooden ones. In order to begin, they needed
> accurate measurements of bacteria growth on the different surfaces so
> they tried the different boards with different foods on them washed in
> different ways and after different lengths of time. To their surprise,
> the wooden boards had natural anti-bacterial properties that the plastic
> ones lacked. The wooden boards were actually cleaner than the plastic
> from the start.
>

> And that's all I remember. I wish someone would check my work. I can't
> give you a source or tell you if their conclusions were reproduced.
>

> --Lia

Just a quick google and one study but it seems to refute that:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Cutboard.html

It does show that Vinegar is a better disinfectant that one might have
thought.

Bleach was not used in this study tho'.

This hit however is the actual news story you were probably referring to:

http://tinyurl.com/y6pru7

And it says exactly that...

That's the funny thing about the internet. It's easy to prove things one
way or another with web searches. ;-)

Here is another study that proves that bacteria is worse on plastic than
on wood:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/cut-bo93.txt

I'm perfectly happy with my oak board and I don't have to sharpen my
knives as often. I just keep them clean!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
>
>> Lia - Forget about wooden cutting boards and get thee hence to buy a
>> bamboo cutting board. They are even stronger than wood and will not
>> split, swell, or absorb moisture.They're a grass, after all. I've had
>> a bamboo cutting board for about 8 months now and it doesn't have a
>> nick on it. The downside is that they're harder on knife edges, so you
>> have to straighten your knives more often. I, for one, don't care if I
>> have to straighten my knives more often. Bamboo is just *cleaner* than
>> wood, IMHO. I scrub my bamboo cutting board with soap and water after
>> each use and it dries within seconds of having washed it. It just
>> *sheds* the moisture.

> If it were entirely up to me, I'd have a wooden cutting board and would
> wash it with soap and water (with drop of bleach now and then) as has
> been suggested earlier in this thread. It isn't entirely up to me. Jim
> likes the hard plastic ones, and he does the lion's share of the
> clean-up so we go with his preference. They go in the dishwasher and
> get sanitized that way.
>

> I've seen the bamboo boards and agree that they're beautiful. Maybe
> someday.
>

> There's a news article that I saw maybe 15 years ago that I wish I'd
> saved as I haven't seen anything on it since. It was evidence that
> wooden cutting boards actually are cleaner than plastic ones. As I
> remember it, some researchers were trying to come up the perfect cutting
> board, something that was as sanitary as a plastic one but also as easy
> on knife edges as the oak wooden ones. In order to begin, they needed
> accurate measurements of bacteria growth on the different surfaces so
> they tried the different boards with different foods on them washed in
> different ways and after different lengths of time. To their surprise,
> the wooden boards had natural anti-bacterial properties that the plastic
> ones lacked. The wooden boards were actually cleaner than the plastic
> from the start.

Lots of sources say lots of stuff about that, but few are
good scientific ones. And they often contradict each other.
The whole question of which board is better on
bacteriological issues is far from resolved. The best source
I've seen is from HI-TN where they actually test the ideas.

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Cutboard.html

One of the notions to explain the reason that bacteria
apparently died wasn't because of some chemical property,
but because wood will absorb water and plastic won't. In so
doing, the wood deprives the bacteria of water, causing
mortality. But this is only one perspective and far from
definitive.

I don't use bleach on wooden boards because bleach dissolves
organic materials, like skin and wood. Vinegar and peroxide
are at least as effective, but with none of the downsides.
Bleach on wooden boards will soften the surface such that if
you scrub it with a copper or stainless scrubby, you get a
lot of brown stuff. Using water or soapy water or vin+perox
won't give you that same effect.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob (this one)" > wrote:

> I don't use bleach on wooden boards because bleach dissolves
> organic materials, like skin and wood. Vinegar and peroxide
> are at least as effective, but with none of the downsides.
> Bleach on wooden boards will soften the surface such that if
> you scrub it with a copper or stainless scrubby, you get a
> lot of brown stuff. Using water or soapy water or vin+perox
> won't give you that same effect.
>
> Pastorio

I use vinegar to disinfect my boards also, but they get a good scrub
with soap and hot water first.

I do occasionally use bleach, but that's only to get rid of stains...

My oak board is about due for a good sanding. The jaquard is a little
hard on it.

This is solid oak made out of a piece of 1 x 12 from the lumber yard. I
made it myself and it's lasted for years and there is no trace of
cracking or anything.

If and when I have to replace it, I'll probably use 2 x 12 if I can find
it.

Oak from the lumber yard is not really all that cheap but it's excellent
wood for cutting boards imho.

I have one smaller paddle shaped commercial one and am not sure of the
wood but it's good for smaller cutting jobs. I think dad brought it with
him when he moved in.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

> This hit however is the actual news story you were probably referring to:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/y6pru7

I'm impressed with your googling abilities. It is funny to see that
news article again after so long. The bottom line from one of the sites
is to use whichever you want and keep it clean. That makes good enough
sense for me.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > This hit however is the actual news story you were probably referring to:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/y6pru7

> I'm impressed with your googling abilities. It is funny to see that
> news article again after so long. The bottom line from one of the sites
> is to use whichever you want and keep it clean. That makes good enough
> sense for me.
>

> --Lia

I got lucky but thanks. <G>

The trick to googling is figuring out the search word combinations...
I confess to having a lot of practice but I still ask for help once in
awhile. :-) Sometimes I still can't hit the right darned combination!

I think I used

plastic and wooden cutting board bacterial counts

or something like that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.