Old 12-08-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wooden Cutting Board Help

I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is that
rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than a
3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.

How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil it?
What would you suggest?

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is that
rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than a
3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.

How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil it?
What would you suggest?

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

kili

Try soaking it in cold water with a small amount of White Vinegar. It
may ruin the wood, but you cannot use it the way it is. I hope you can
save your board.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:40:40 -0400, "kilikini"
wrote:

I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where is that
rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I sniffed the floor,
nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit me. It was the cutting
board! It smelled like really moldy garlic. And I mean, bad! Worse than a
3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.

How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice? Oil it?
What would you suggest?

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

Probably a good sanding with hubby's sander will do it, then reseal
with oil.

--

A husband is someone who takes out the trash and gives the impression he just cleaned the whole house.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"kilikini" wrote in message

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

MJB

Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:
kilikini wrote:
I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where
is that rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I
sniffed the floor, nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit
me. It was the cutting board! It smelled like really moldy garlic.
And I mean, bad! Worse than a 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.

How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice?
Oil it? What would you suggest?

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are
welcome.

kili

Try soaking it in cold water with a small amount of White Vinegar.
It may ruin the wood, but you cannot use it the way it is. I hope
you can save your board.

Thanks, Margaret. I'll give that a try. I have White Vinegar. The board
is really nasty.

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I was chopping up some celery the other day and went, whoosh! Where
is that rank smell coming from? I sniffed the sink, nope. I
sniffed the floor, nope. I sniffed the stove, nope. Then it hit
me. It was the cutting board! It smelled like really moldy garlic.
And I mean, bad! Worse than a 3 day old, uncleaned litterbox.

How do I get the smell out? Should I bleach it? Use lemon juice?
Oil it? What would you suggest?

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are
welcome.

Probably a good sanding with hubby's sander will do it, then reseal
with oil.

Ah, that's a thought, too. Thanks, sf.

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote:
"kilikini" wrote in message

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions are
welcome.

Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

MJB

Okay, that's two votes for re-sanding. Hubby can do it. He is a carpenter
after all.

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:00:53 -0600:

?? It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions
?? are welcome.
??
M Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

That's probably the best way to go but weak bleach might be
worthwhile before sanding and regular application of mineral
oil (medicinal paraffin) does tend to prevent odors soaking in.
To tell the truth, I gave up on my maple cutting board when it
split in two and now use dish-washer safe plastic boards.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old 12-08-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
MJB wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:00:53 -0600:

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions
are welcome.

Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

That's probably the best way to go but weak bleach might be
worthwhile before sanding and regular application of mineral
oil (medicinal paraffin) does tend to prevent odors soaking in.
To tell the truth, I gave up on my maple cutting board when it
split in two and now use dish-washer safe plastic boards.

Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I should be
looking into getting a plastic cutting board then? This particular wood
cutting board has some sentimental value. It was made by my husband's
uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
plastic?

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:37:35 -0400:

??
k Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~)
k Maybe I should be looking into getting a plastic cutting
k board then? This particular wood cutting board has some
k sentimental value. It was made by my husband's uncle, so
k we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
k plastic?

Maple boards can look beautiful but I am convinced that plastic
ones are more sanitary and a bleach/detergent solution can be
used to sterilize them if washing by hand. There is usually
quite a choice of long-lasting plastic boards in places like
Bed, Bath and Beyond etc.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
James Silverton wrote:
MJB wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:00:53 -0600:

It's seriously making the kitchen stink. Any suggestions
are welcome.

Sand it smooth and re-finish it.

That's probably the best way to go but weak bleach might be
worthwhile before sanding and regular application of mineral
oil (medicinal paraffin) does tend to prevent odors soaking in.
To tell the truth, I gave up on my maple cutting board when it
split in two and now use dish-washer safe plastic boards.

Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I should be
looking into getting a plastic cutting board then? This particular wood
cutting board has some sentimental value. It was made by my husband's
uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
plastic?

kili

I had a favorite board that split. DH regularized the split and used up a
bunch of power tools and stuff and put it back together (OB food: with
"biscuits"), better than new. I still have it. I also have 3 plastic boards.
When I'm cooking a lot of stuff, or veggies and meat, I can grab for another
clean one quick.
Edrena

Old 12-08-2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"kilikini" wrote in message

Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~) Maybe I should be
looking into getting a plastic cutting board then?

I have three cutting boards. One plastic, one commercial 'butcherblock'
style and...

This particular wood
cutting board has some sentimental value.

.... one I made in my 9th grade shop class.

It was made by my husband's
uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
plastic?

Yes. It's cheap. It's stain and odor resistant. And when it does get
'cruddy' and cut-up, just give it to your carpenter husband and ask him to
take 1/16 of an inch off the top surface with his hand plane for you. In
about thirty seconds flat he'd have a new cutting surface planed flat for
you.

Which is precisely what I do with MY plastic cutting board when it gets
worn-down. I also store it on a hook on the inside panel of my cabinet -
the space between the door and shelves is enough for it to hang safely.

Hope that helps.

MJB

Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-12, kilikini wrote:

Okay, that's two votes for re-sanding. Hubby can do it. He is a carpenter
after all.

I cut tons of garlic on my board. I just wash my wooden cutting board
with soap and water. If it gets rank, I clean it with a water/bleach
solution, usually a dollop of bleach to a cup of water. Been working
great for years. BTW, I don't oil my board.

nb
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
kilikini wrote on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:37:35 -0400:

k Unfortunately, I'm the dishwasher in this house. :~)
k Maybe I should be looking into getting a plastic cutting
k board then? This particular wood cutting board has some
k sentimental value. It was made by my husband's uncle, so
k we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
k plastic?

Maple boards can look beautiful but I am convinced that plastic
ones are more sanitary and a bleach/detergent solution can be
used to sterilize them if washing by hand. There is usually
quite a choice of long-lasting plastic boards in places like
Bed, Bath and Beyond etc.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Thanks, Jim. Perhaps the route we should go then. I just don't want to
chuck the board we have. BUT, I can always hide it in the closet (given a
good bleach bath and sanding, that is).

kili

Old 12-08-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-08-12, kilikini wrote:

uncle, so we'd like to somehow keep it. Do you recommend switching to
plastic?

I don't.

BTW, I forgot to mention. If it's really bad, you could try
splashing your board with straight bleach, let it sit for a minute,
then rinse thoroughly with water, then let sit overnight. It should be
fine in the morning.

nb