Old 14-09-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper mill

I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

nancy

Old 14-09-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

nancy

Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from a
bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American consumers.

Old 14-09-2006, 06:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from
a bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American
consumers.

(laugh!) You're absolutely right. On all counts.

nancy

Old 14-09-2006, 06:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

nancy

Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:
http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...all&item=93860

It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
girth while pumping that big thing. g

Sheldon

Old 14-09-2006, 07:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

nancy

rofl I feel your pain..... ;-)
When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
for!

Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
green. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 14-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from
a bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American
consumers.

(laugh!) You're absolutely right. On all counts.

nancy

Nah! He's just being cynical...

NOT! lol
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 14-09-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:

It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
girth while pumping that big thing. g

(laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish they
were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

nancy

Old 14-09-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

rofl I feel your pain..... ;-)
When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
for!

Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
green. ;-d

I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
will last as long as the peppercorns.

nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

Old 14-09-2006, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

"Sheldon" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:

[...]

But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

cough

%-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 14-09-2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

(laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish
they
were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

But 6" just fits better!

nancy

Old 14-09-2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

rofl I feel your pain..... ;-)
When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
for!

Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
green. ;-d

I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
will last as long as the peppercorns.

One can only hope. ;-) I just adore multi-color peppercorns. IMHO there
is a much richer flavor in the mix.

nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

Oh gods. I've not eaten those wonderful things in years! :-)
Good score!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 14-09-2006, 07:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...
I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
(
www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Old 14-09-2006, 07:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

if you ever have the opportunity to buy one from Ikea: II can recommend
theirs. The inside frinding things is made from ceramic and works like a
charm. Cheap, too. Next time I'm at Ikea, I'll get a few extra mills, for
serveral spices that I'd like to grind.

Old 14-09-2006, 07:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote:

(laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish
they
were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

But 6" just fits better!

nancy

snork %-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 14-09-2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" wrote

Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
(www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

And it adjusts easily from fine to coarse? As in, really does, not just
says it does?

nancy

how to refill the pepper section of an olde thompson acrylicsaltshaker / pepper mill Camp Stove General Cooking 1 28-07-2016 03:08 AM
Love my pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 82 20-12-2012 03:16 PM
New pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 91 29-10-2012 07:37 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 02:05 PM
Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when? h Cooking Equipment 11 08-02-2004 03:25 AM