Default Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Dean for Prez

Albert A. Gore Jr. invented it during his time as the greatest vice
president in the history of the United States. I think it was in 1999.

> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Steve Calvin

h wrote:

> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Don't know but I'd bet that it goes WAY back in history.

--
Steve

John Gaquin

"h" > wrote in message news:wxBUb.503

> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Claude Pepper, late Senator and Representative from Florida?

Jack Denver

Just guessing here, but probably pepper was originally ground in a mortar
and pestle. Pepper has been an item of trade since Roman times. The pepper
mill is based on the idea of the millstone (for grinding flour), which is so
old that it's invention predates writing. In addition to the large mills
driven by water wheels or wind or draft animals, there were always hand
cranked mills that were table sized. Probably at some point someone who
needed a lot of pepper ground (say a sausage maker) had the idea to use one
of these to grind spices. From there it was only a matter of shrinking the
device down to handheld size and making the millstones of metal rather than
stone. Similar grinders made of brass were used by the Turks to grind their
coffee beans, though given that pepper has been consumed far longer than
coffee its hard to say which one came first. But the Turkish mills were very
small because they were intended to be carried in saddle bags by nomads.
Even today they function well as pepper mills.

I don't think this is like a modern invention where you can say "Thomas
Edison invented the phonograph on June 4, 1878 at 2 PM." It's going to be
one of those things that is lost in the mists of history.

"h" > wrote in message ...
> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

arturo bandini

"h" > wrote in message >...
> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Peugeot. France, 1842.
Jack Denver

This is what Peugeot claims, but I really doubt it. As I said before, for
one thing there were very similar Turkish coffee grinders that had been
around for centuries and pepper had been used for millenia.

"arturo bandini" > wrote in message
om...
> "h" > wrote in message

> > Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

> Peugeot. France, 1842.

Edwin Pawlowski

h wrote:
> Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

Omar Bestijian in about 1750. He was a trader in the middle east and was
looking for ways of getting better use of the popular spices. One account
of his life says he was a blacksmith. In their day, blacksmiths wee often
called upon to do all sorts of metal work so he had knowledge of mechanical
devices. The original grinders had a handle on them, not the twist top that
is so popular today.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Jack Denver

You're making this up, right?

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
om...
> h wrote:
> > Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

> Omar Bestijian in about 1750. He was a trader in the middle east and was
> looking for ways of getting better use of the popular spices. One account
> of his life says he was a blacksmith. In their day, blacksmiths wee often
> called upon to do all sorts of metal work so he had knowledge of

mechanical
> devices. The original grinders had a handle on them, not the twist top

that
> is so popular today.
>
> --
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

"arturo bandini" > wrote in message
om...
> "h" > wrote in message

> > Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

> Peugeot. France, 1842.

They make the claim, I do not believe them.

I agree, I think they made coffee mills (much the same thing as you say).

I have a feeling Elizabeth David went to Peugeot, who made coffee mills with
steel rollers, and asked them to make a small hand mill for pepper of the
typew we know today. She certainly is famous for carrying round her own mill
to restaurants.

"Jack Denver" > wrote in message
> This is what Peugeot claims, but I really doubt it. As I said before, for
> one thing there were very similar Turkish coffee grinders that had been
> around for centuries and pepper had been used for millenia.
>

> "arturo bandini" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "h" > wrote in message

> > > Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when?

> > Peugeot. France, 1842.

Edwin Pawlowski

Jack Denver wrote:
> You're making this up, right?

Omar's decendants will be very disappointed if they read your accusation. Of
course they no longer get royalites from the patents, but the are very proud
of his accomplishments and have a small museum in his home town. --