Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pepper mill

I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
since then should be called pepper crackers.

I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
>I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
> problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
> since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
> I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
> thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.
>
> It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
> be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
> what to get when I feel like tackling that again.
>
> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.
>
> nancy

Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from a
bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American consumers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
>> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
>> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
>> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
> about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
> people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from
> a bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American
> consumers.

(laugh!) You're absolutely right. On all counts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
> problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
> since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
> I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
> thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.
>
> It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
> be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
> what to get when I feel like tackling that again.
>
> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.
>
> nancy

Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:
http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...all&item=93860

It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
girth while pumping that big thing. <g>

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
> problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
> since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
> I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
> thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.
>
> It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
> be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
> what to get when I feel like tackling that again.
>
> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.
>
> nancy

<rofl> I feel your pain..... ;-)
When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
for!

Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
green. ;-d
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> >> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> >> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> >> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> > Wouldn't it be great if there was someone you could write to and complain
> > about your broken pepper mill? But, the company probably consists of four
> > people who rent a warehouse. All they do is transfer the pepper mills from
> > a bulk shipping box from China, into fancier packaging for American
> > consumers.

> (laugh!) You're absolutely right. On all counts.
>
> nancy

Nah! He's just being cynical...

NOT! <lol>
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
>> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
>> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
>> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:

> It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
> best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
> than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
> over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
> anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
> It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
> the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
> girth while pumping that big thing. <g>

(laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish they
were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
>> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
>> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
>> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> <rofl> I feel your pain..... ;-)
> When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
> for!
>
> Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
> green. ;-d

I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
will last as long as the peppercorns.

nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> >> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> >> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> >> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> > Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:

> > It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
> > best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
> > than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
> > over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
> > anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
> > It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
> > the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
> > girth while pumping that big thing. <g>

> (laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
> it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish they
> were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.
>
> nancy

But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

<cough>

%-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> (laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
>> it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish
>> they
>> were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

> But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

But 6" just fits better!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> >> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> >> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> >> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> > <rofl> I feel your pain..... ;-)
> > When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
> > for!
> >
> > Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
> > green. ;-d

> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
> will last as long as the peppercorns.

One can only hope. ;-) I just adore multi-color peppercorns. IMHO there
is a much richer flavor in the mix.

> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

Oh gods. I've not eaten those wonderful things in years! :-)
Good score!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...
> I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
> problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
> since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
> I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
> thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.
>
> It's been discussed to death, my next attempt will most likely
> be one of those turkish jobbers, I'll google the threads and see
> what to get when I feel like tackling that again.

Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
(
www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

if you ever have the opportunity to buy one from Ikea: II can recommend
theirs. The inside frinding things is made from ceramic and works like a
charm. Cheap, too. Next time I'm at Ikea, I'll get a few extra mills, for
serveral spices that I'd like to grind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> (laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one. I'm bookmarking
> >> it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish
> >> they
> >> were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

> > But bigger is better... Didn't you know that?

> But 6" just fits better!
>
> nancy

<snork> %-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote

> Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
> (www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
> couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
> grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
> grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
> of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

And it adjusts easily from fine to coarse? As in, really does, not just
says it does?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:

> >> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> >> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> >> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> >> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> > Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:

> > It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
> > best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
> > than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
> > over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
> > anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
> > It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
> > the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
> > girth while pumping that big thing. <g>

> (laugh) I do have lust in my heart for the copper one.

Lust, eh... hmm, for a peppery hot good time I suppose one could fit
it with a couple D cells. hehe

>I'm bookmarking
> it, thanks for the link. That is most likely what I will get. I wish they
> were shorter to fit in the cabinet I'd like.

You can always lay them on their sides. They have a tightly fitted cap
at the bottom so they won't leak pepper grinds in cabinets or on table
linen... I keep my other pepper mills in a kitchen cabinet lined up in
a small baking pan just to prevent litter from grinds, and when served
at table I set them on a small saucer (actually one of those small
Asian dipping sauce dishes).

Sheldon Burr

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> >> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> >> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> >> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

> > <rofl> I feel your pain..... ;-)
> > When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
> > for!
> >
> > Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
> > green. ;-d

> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
> will last as long as the peppercorns.
>
> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

And I think that the four color combination has no fragrance or flavor.
I love Tellicherry! Each to his own as they say

Bliss

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Peter A" > wrote
>
> > Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
> > (
www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
> > couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
> > grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
> > grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
> > of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

> And it adjusts easily from fine to coarse? As in, really does, not just
> says it does?
>
> nancy

Yes - it's got a small knurled nut on the bottom that you tighten or
loosen.

--
Peter Aitken
Visit my recipe and kitchen myths pages at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:
> http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...all&item=93860
>
> It will be the last pepper mill you buy, and Chef's Catalog has the
> best price. The big brass one is much heavier and is a larger diameter
> than the smaller ones with the little flanged base so it will not tip
> over very easily. I never leave mine standing erect at the table
> anyway, the male dinner guest get intimidated (hehe), just lie it down.
> It's so easy to operate that the gals don't need any assistance from
> the guys, and the gals kinda enjoy wrapping their fists around that
> girth while pumping that big thing. <g>
>
> Sheldon

Ok, here's a whiney question about those pepper mills from chefs
catalog. Do the brass and copper have to be polished to keep their
shine? Last thing I want is something to polish in the kitchen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"timbrel" > wrote in message
ps.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> > <rofl> I feel your pain..... ;-)
>> > When it comes to cooking gadgets, one does not always get what they pay
>> > for!
>> >
>> > Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black
>> > and
>> > green. ;-d

>> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
>> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
>> will last as long as the peppercorns.
>>
>> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

> And I think that the four color combination has no fragrance or flavor.
> I love Tellicherry! Each to his own as they say
>
> Bliss

No fragrance or flavor? Is it possible you've had a stroke recently?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-14, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:

> Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
> green. ;-d

Yeah, those are great. You get some nice floral accents with the
undried colored berries. I keep both on hand. I've also tried the sea
salt one, but am not impressed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "timbrel" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> >
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote

> >> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
> >> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
> >> will last as long as the peppercorns.
> >>
> >> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

> > And I think that the four color combination has no fragrance or flavor.
> > I love Tellicherry! Each to his own as they say
> >
> > Bliss
> >

> No fragrance or flavor? Is it possible you've had a stroke recently?

Or just different Genetics......... ;-D
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-14, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> catalog. Do the brass and copper have to be polished to keep their
> shine? Last thing I want is something to polish in the kitchen.

Well then, avoid like the plague! Those nice Turkish grinders are
real brass and need real elbow grease to keep real shiny. I took
apart my brass grinder to polish it up and then discovered those darn
McComack's grinders. I'm sure I'll get my brass one shined up and
back together eventually.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2006-09-14, OmManiPadmeOmelet > wrote:
>
> > Try some four color gourmet peppercorns. The mixed red, white, black and
> > green. ;-d

> Yeah, those are great. You get some nice floral accents with the
> undried colored berries. I keep both on hand. I've also tried the sea
> salt one, but am not impressed.
>
> nb

Never seen nor tried a mixed salt/pepper combo?????

When I can get it, I use "Real Salt" brand of salt.
It's granulated tho' and is ready to use.

It's heavy in trace minerals and I do find it to have a slightly sweet
flavor to it:

http://www.realsalt.com/

I get it at Sun Harvest.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "timbrel" > wrote in message
>> ps.com...

>> > And I think that the four color combination has no fragrance or flavor.
>> > I love Tellicherry! Each to his own as they say
>> >
>> > Bliss
>> >

>> No fragrance or flavor? Is it possible you've had a stroke recently?

> Or just different Genetics......... ;-D

Oh please....the only other possible explanation is a permanent cold, or
his/her pepper is so old that it's lost all physical qualities except weight
& size.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Get the big brass one... you will not be disappointed:
> > http://www.chefscatalog.com/catalog/...all&item=93860
> >
> > It will be the last pepper mill you buy.

> Ok, here's a whiney question about those pepper mills from chefs
> catalog. Do the brass and copper have to be polished to keep their
> shine? Last thing I want is something to polish in the kitchen.

All brass/copper needs polishing to be shiny. When new they are
treated to inhibit tarnish but with use the treatment stuff wears off.
I don't mind the 'weathered' look, in fact I prefer the patina that
develops.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> >> No fragrance or flavor? Is it possible you've had a stroke recently?

> > Or just different Genetics......... ;-D

> Oh please....the only other possible explanation is a permanent cold, or
> his/her pepper is so old that it's lost all physical qualities except weight
> & size.

Old pepper... I'd go with that one.

I love the 4 color pepper, and this is the very first time I've ever
read of anyone that was unable to taste the difference.

It's.......

weird.
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news

>> > Or just different Genetics......... ;-D

>> Oh please....the only other possible explanation is a permanent cold, or
>> his/her pepper is so old that it's lost all physical qualities except
>> weight
>> & size.

> Old pepper... I'd go with that one.
>
> I love the 4 color pepper, and this is the very first time I've ever
> read of anyone that was unable to taste the difference.
>
> It's.......
>
> weird.
> --
> Peace!
> Om

Somewhat related: After the last presidential election, an NPR reporter
wandered around Columbia University, asking first time voters how they chose
who to vote for. One girl said "Kerry & Bush seemed the same to me, so I
voted for Bush 'cause he has cute ears".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I don't know what the problem is, I've been having pepper mill
> problems. I broke my pepper mill and the couple I've bought
> since then should be called pepper crackers.
>
> I don't want or need a super fine grind, but I do expect the
> thing to do more than crack the pepper corns in half.

I've been pretty happy with Penzey's Zassen-whatsis except that I have
the bigger one and it still needs to be filled quite often. I guess
that means we use more pepper than average.

> So, today I bought one of those McCormack pepper grinders.
> Makes me laugh, it works just fine. Friggin disposable grinder
> does the job better than the other, supposedly adjustbable, ones
> I paid good money for. $1.59, peppercorns included.

I have one of those, too, and it works great. I haven't figured out how
to removed the cover to refill it. (No screw threads on it.)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young typed:
> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the
> grinder
> will last as long as the peppercorns.

Yes. I've even refilled one, once. It lasted about half way through
the re-fill.

> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

Huh? What's that? I'm thinking I *might* know them by another name.
Maybe not.

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" BOB" > wrote

> Nancy Young typed:
>> I was surprised (being that I am a snob) to see that the McCormick
>> does come in the 4 color, as well as the black. Wonder if the grinder
>> will last as long as the peppercorns.

> Yes. I've even refilled one, once. It lasted about half way through the
> re-fill.

Huh, that's funny. It says in it, do not refill. I can think of a couple
reasons why.

>> nancy (also scored 2 boxes of Mallomars for 99 cents)

> Huh? What's that? I'm thinking I *might* know them by another name.
> Maybe not.

It's just some cookie thing, mostly marshmallow on a base, all
coated in chocolate. I didn't grow up with them, but people do
seem to have a thing for them.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...en&q=mallomars

99 cents is a steal, and I found they only charged me for one and I got
2. No, I am not driving all the way back there to give them their dollar.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-14, Puester > wrote:

> I've been pretty happy with Penzey's Zassen-whatsis except that I have

I wasn't aware Zassenhaus made spice grinders. Based on my experience
with their awesome coffee grinders, I'd have to recommend a Zazzy
spice grinder sight unseen without reservation. I'll probably get one
for white pepper. You may want to act quickly. Zazzy coffee grinders
have been unavailable for over a year now, with no relief in sight.
So, their spice grinder availability may be dwindling also (Penzey's
website hints as much). Also, the price is great. Those brass
Turkish pepper grinders are nothing more than modified coffee grinders
and they want $80-100 for them. I'm sure the Zazzy has a superior
burr set.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote

> On 2006-09-14, Puester > wrote:
>>
>> I've been pretty happy with Penzey's Zassen-whatsis except that I have

> I wasn't aware Zassenhaus made spice grinders. Based on my experience
> with their awesome coffee grinders, I'd have to recommend a Zazzy
> spice grinder sight unseen without reservation.

I had the one from Penzeys, that's the one I broke. Like Gloria,
I was forever refilling it. What is with that Z company, I saw some
website that hasn't been able to get any for a long time.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2006-09-14, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>
>> catalog. Do the brass and copper have to be polished to keep their
>> shine? Last thing I want is something to polish in the kitchen.

I had something polish in my kitchen.

Avoid at all costs!

E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-14, Nancy Young > wrote:

> I was forever refilling it. What is with that Z company, I saw some
> website that hasn't been able to get any for a long time.

All of them. Look for yourself. No one seems to know what the
problem is. They are starting to go for "new" or higher prices on
ebay.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> Puester wrote:
> >
> > I've been pretty happy with Penzey's Zassen-whatsis except that I have

> I wasn't aware Zassenhaus made spice grinders. Based on my experience
> with their awesome coffee grinders, I'd have to recommend a Zazzy
> spice grinder sight unseen without reservation. I'll probably get one
> for white pepper. You may want to act quickly. Zazzy coffee grinders
> have been unavailable for over a year now, with no relief in sight.
> So, their spice grinder availability may be dwindling also (Penzey's
> website hints as much). Also, the price is great.
>
>Those brass
> Turkish pepper grinders are nothing more than modified coffee grinders

Nothing is modified, they grind coffee beans and peppercorns equally
well.

> and they want $80-100 for them.

You exaggerate... the biggest Turkish grinders are about $55. Penzeys
large Zass grinder is $40. The Zass grinder is about 1/20 the capacity
of the Turkish grinder and 1/20 the quality.... a cheap chunk of wood
with chintzy pot metal and plastic parts... the plastic retaining ring
on mine falls out every time the humidity drops becaue the wood
shrinks. The zass burrs are miniscule... Penzeys get around this fact
by telling folks how the larger peppercorns wont fit through (they clog
up the works) so they say that's a way to cull out the better big
peppercorns... what claptrap.

> I'm sure the Zazzy has a superior burr set.

Hardly.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
> (www.unicornmills.com). .htm

Any comments on their travel minimill ? thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> Nay, getteth thee thou a Magnum Pepper Mill, made by Unicorn
> (www.unicornmills.com). It was top-rated by Cooks Illustrated and a
> couple of years ago I bought one for myself and several for gifts. It
> grinds from fine to coarse, holds a lot, rarely needs adjustment, and
> grinds fast - a good thing when you want to coat 4 steaks with a layer
> of pepper. The people I gave them to all love it.

Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-09-14, Sheldon > wrote:

> Nothing is modified, they grind coffee beans and peppercorns equally
> well.

Atlas modified them by removing the traditional container cup and
putting on a bell shaped ring so they would stand upright without the
cup. These were the first to hit the general market back when Jeff
the Perv started mentioning them on his cooking show. The cheapest
model available was $75.

> You exaggerate... the biggest Turkish grinders are about $55.

I didn't elaborate, but one can find them now for even less. I have
one I paid only $39 for. Good burrs, but it does not have a threaded
grind adjustment, using instead a difficult and imprecise slide
adjustment held by a hex head set screw. It also has no table stand
ring. You want niceties, you pay for them.

> The Zass grinder is about 1/20 the capacity
> of the Turkish grinder and 1/20 the quality.... a cheap chunk of wood
> with chintzy pot metal and plastic parts...

Sorry to hear it. Perhaps that's part of the current availability
problem. Zazzy went cheapo and lost it's customer base. The good ol'
Zazzy coffee mills were of excellent quality. My birch knee mill has
machined and hardened steel conical burrs in a glued and dovetail
jointed hardwood box. It's a precision tool and grinds better than my
$200 electric Ibiteral espresso grinder. It would be a shame if
Zazzy's coffee mills went down the crapper.

nb

how to refill the pepper section of an olde thompson acrylicsaltshaker / pepper mill Camp Stove General Cooking 1 28-07-2016 03:08 AM
Love my pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 82 20-12-2012 03:16 PM
New pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 91 29-10-2012 07:37 PM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 02:05 PM
Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when? h Cooking Equipment 11 08-02-2004 03:25 AM