Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Love my pepper mill!

This is the one I got:

http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
mill

Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it shorter.

http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu

I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not leave
pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it rarely ever
leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were very bad in that
respect. Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
been a first. Love this thing!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> This is the one I got:
>
> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
> mill
>
> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it
> shorter.
> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>
> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not
> leave pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it
> rarely ever leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were
> very bad in that respect. Tonight there were two large pieces
> underneath it but this has been a first. Love this thing!

We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite
a while and they seem to work well.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> This is the one I got:
>>
>> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
>> mill
>>
>> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it
>> shorter.
>> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>>
>> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not
>> leave pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it
>> rarely ever leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were
>> very bad in that respect. Tonight there were two large pieces
>> underneath it but this has been a first. Love this thing!

> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite a
> while and they seem to work well.

I used the disposable ones for years and loved them. But then I couldn't
find them! I assumed they were no longer being made. But apparently not
because I recently saw one in a cardboard floor display at some store. Same
brand that I used to buy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 14, 9:48*am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:

> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite
> a while and they seem to work well.
>
> -S-

Isn't the pepper in those of very poor quality? Compare the flavor to
Tellicherry from Penzeys and you'll never go back.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 10:58 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Dec 14, 9:48 am, "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite
>> a while and they seem to work well.
>>
>> -S-

> Isn't the pepper in those of very poor quality? Compare the flavor to
> Tellicherry from Penzeys and you'll never go back.

I'm not a pepper fanatic but at least with a refillable pepper mill you
can choose which peppercorns to grind (and select the grind, fine to
course). I like the Tellicherry peppercorns.

I wouldn't buy one of those disposable pepper mills. Not because I'm
concerned about saving the planet (after all, the world is going to end
on December 22nd LOL) but they do seem terribly wasteful.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 03:38:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
> been a first. Love this thing!

Try clearing the grinder with a tiny fraction of a turn in whatever
the "opposite" direction would be when you finish grinding. That
usually works for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:29:29 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I wouldn't buy one of those disposable pepper mills. Not because I'm
> concerned about saving the planet (after all, the world is going to end
> on December 22nd LOL) but they do seem terribly wasteful.

The grinders from Trader Joe's are reusable, just unscrew it and
refill with whatever your little ole heart desires. I plan to refill
mine with home made flavored salts and peppers.

PS: I'm looking at the label right now and the blend is Brazilian
Pink, Indian Green, Malaysian White and Indian Black Tellicherry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 12:28 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:29:29 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't buy one of those disposable pepper mills. Not because I'm
>> concerned about saving the planet (after all, the world is going to end
>> on December 22nd LOL) but they do seem terribly wasteful.

> The grinders from Trader Joe's are reusable, just unscrew it and
> refill with whatever your little ole heart desires. I plan to refill
> mine with home made flavored salts and peppers.

Okay... but again, no TJ's around. I have a wooden pepper grinder.
Suits me fine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:27:13 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I'm not a pepper fanatic but at least with a refillable
>> pepper mill you can choose which peppercorns to grind (and
>> serlect the grind, fine to course). I like the Tellicherry
>> peppercorns.

>Jill,
>
>I do the same, switching between black and white peppercorns.
>It's a breeze to empty and fill and the two jars reside on
>the kkitchen table condiment tray.

It's much easier to have separate peppermills. I have one for black,
one for black fine grind, one for white, one for a blend of
peppercorns, and a few mills that sit empty just because.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 1:38 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> This is the one I got:
>
> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
> mill
>
> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it shorter.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>
> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not leave
> pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it rarely ever
> leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were very bad in that
> respect. Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
> been a first. Love this thing!

It's a sophisticated and sexy design. Hopefully, you can live up to your
peppermill and all it implies. I mostly use an ugly oak stained maple
knob thingie - it suites me. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 5:20 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This is the one I got:
>>>
>>> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
>>> mill
>>>
>>> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it
>>> shorter.
>>> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>>>
>>> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not
>>> leave pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it
>>> rarely ever leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were
>>> very bad in that respect. Tonight there were two large pieces
>>> underneath it but this has been a first. Love this thing!

>> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite a
>> while and they seem to work well.

> I used the disposable ones for years and loved them. But then I couldn't
> find them! I assumed they were no longer being made. But apparently not
> because I recently saw one in a cardboard floor display at some store. Same
> brand that I used to buy.

I saw 2 disposable grinders at Costco the other day. There was even a
couple of salt grinders too. One was filled with pink Himalayan Salt. I
think they were something like 5 or 6 bucks. I was tempted but I don't
need another mill - I already got 3. I suppose it would have made me
happy for a short while though. They would make great gifts for those
people whom you don't have any special feelings for. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:48:42 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>> This is the one I got:
>>
>> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
>> mill
>>
>> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it
>> shorter.
>> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>>
>> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not
>> leave pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it
>> rarely ever leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were
>> very bad in that respect. Tonight there were two large pieces
>> underneath it but this has been a first. Love this thing!

> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite
> a while and they seem to work well.

Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 03:38:27 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
>> been a first. Love this thing!

> Try clearing the grinder with a tiny fraction of a turn in whatever
> the "opposite" direction would be when you finish grinding. That
> usually works for me.

Mine has a warning only to turned it clockwise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 12/14/2012 5:20 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> We've been using disposable pepper mills from TJ's - one lasts us quite
>>> while and they seem to work well.

>> I used the disposable ones for years and loved them. But then I couldn't
>> find them! I assumed they were no longer being made. But apparently not
>> because I recently saw one in a cardboard floor display at some store.
>> Same
>> brand that I used to buy.
>>

> I saw 2 disposable grinders at Costco the other day. There was even a
> couple of salt grinders too. One was filled with pink Himalayan Salt. I
> think they were something like 5 or 6 bucks. I was tempted but I don't
> need another mill - I already got 3. I suppose it would have made me happy
> for a short while though. They would make great gifts for those people
> whom you don't have any special feelings for. :-)

I had the salt grinder but I never used it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2012 5:23 PM, Somebody wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:48:42 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> This is the one I got:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>>>

> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.

So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 12/14/2012 5:23 PM, Somebody wrote:

>> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
>> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
>> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
>> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
>>

>So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
>eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
>table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
>like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

Why do you believe that Freides Freak... I've never seen a resto with
pepper mills on the table, have you? The Freides Freak probably
steals s n'p shakers so he doesn't have to buy s n' p... the cheapo
bastid theif.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 12/14/2012 5:23 PM, Somebody wrote:

> > Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
> > Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
> > I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
> > birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
> >

> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
> eh?

I thought that was a low class and odd thing to admit. People don't
usually brag in public about stealing.

> Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

Some restaurants have salt and pepper grinders on the table and they
are pretty expensive places, in my experience. I absolutely hate the
pompousness of a waiter coming around to grind a few twists of pepper
on my salad. It's completely stupid. What happens when I want pepper
on some other part of my meal? I have to use the shaker because I
don't want to call over the waiter just for a few grinds.

I don't like the waiter coming around with a cheese mill either. Give
me a bowl of freshly grated cheese on the table so I can serve myself
whenever I want more, whatever amount that I want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> On 12/14/2012 5:23 PM, Somebody wrote:

>> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
>> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
>> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
>> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
>>

> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
> eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.
>
> Jill

The subject was DISPOSIBLE pepper mills, numbskull. You purposely
went out of your way to snip the whole post by Mr Pope including the
attribution line. You did that on purpose you snide, lying bitch.
You're just like my Ex.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:32:47 -0600, Somebody >
wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
> >> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
> >> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
> >> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
> >>

> > So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
> > eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
> > table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
> > like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.
> >
> > Jill

> The subject was DISPOSIBLE pepper mills, numbskull. You purposely
> went out of your way to snip the whole post by Mr Pope including the
> attribution line. You did that on purpose you snide, lying bitch.
> You're just like my Ex.

I was shocked that you stole them and then told the entire world about
what you did. There's right and there's wrong. Stealing salt and
pepper grinders, disposable or not, from a restaurant is wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
>>> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
>>> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
>>> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
>>>

>> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
>> eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
>> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
>> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

>The subject was DISPOSIBLE pepper mills, numbskull.

Doesn't matter that they're disposable, douchebag... you stole them...
they still cost more than filling s n'p shakers, and low lives like
you would steal disposable grinders, refillables, and anything that
ain't nailed down.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2012 11:32 AM, Somebody wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
>>> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
>>> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
>>> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
>>>

>> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
>> eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
>> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
>> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.
>>
>> Jill

> The subject was DISPOSIBLE pepper mills, numbskull. You purposely
> went out of your way to snip the whole post by Mr Pope including the
> attribution line. You did that on purpose you snide, lying bitch.
> You're just like my Ex.

But I thought you *loved* your ex! Have movie night or whatever the
hell it is every week. Who's lying? Not me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2012 10:55 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Why bother buying them? I took four of them from the tables at the
>>> Italian restaurant my father took me to for my birthday (a DAY LATE).
>>> I gave all four of them to my Ex since she loves pepper. It was my
>>> birthday present to her. I also took one salt grinder for myself.
>>>

>> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
>> eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
>> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
>> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

> Why do you believe that Freides Freak... I've never seen a resto with
> pepper mills on the table, have you? The Freides Freak probably
> steals s n'p shakers so he doesn't have to buy s n' p... the cheapo
> bastid theif.

It wasn't Steve Friedes I was replying to. It was "Somebody" who said
he steals pepper mills from restaurants. And no, I've never seen a
restaurant with actual pepper mills on the table, disposable or otherwise.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:41:41 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>It wasn't Steve Friedes I was replying to. It was "Somebody" who said
>he steals pepper mills from restaurants. And no, I've never seen a
>restaurant with actual pepper mills on the table, disposable or otherwise.
>
>Jill

99 Restaurant chain has both salt and pepper mill on the table. They
are the disposable type.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> It wasn't Steve Friedes I was replying to. It was "Somebody" who said
> he steals pepper mills from restaurants. And no, I've never seen a
> restaurant with actual pepper mills on the table, disposable or otherwise.

I have, but they weren't disposable. Even if they were disposable, it
doesn't make stealing them the right thing to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:54:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:41:41 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

> >It wasn't Steve Friedes I was replying to. It was "Somebody" who said
> >he steals pepper mills from restaurants. And no, I've never seen a
> >restaurant with actual pepper mills on the table, disposable or otherwise.
> >
> >Jill

> 99 Restaurant chain has both salt and pepper mill on the table. They
> are the disposable type.

Looking at 99 Restaurant location finder.... huh, we drove through
that area in October! We have 99 Ranch out here, which is a small
grocery store chain. I wonder who stole the 99 from whom and what
significance there is in putting 99 first?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2012 12:10 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 11:41:41 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> It wasn't Steve Friedes I was replying to. It was "Somebody" who said
>> he steals pepper mills from restaurants. And no, I've never seen a
>> restaurant with actual pepper mills on the table, disposable or otherwise.

> I have, but they weren't disposable. Even if they were disposable, it
> doesn't make stealing them the right thing to do.

Exactly. Here's another example. I collect restaurant menus. If I eat
in a new place and want to add their menu to my collection, I'll ask if
they have paper menus. If they don't, on occasion the server or manager
will just give me one of their table menus. I wouldn't think of
stealing one! Someone's paying for that five-finger discount and it's
*us*, the consumer.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:16:26 -0800, sf > wrote:

>Looking at 99 Restaurant location finder.... huh, we drove through
>that area in October! We have 99 Ranch out here, which is a small
>grocery store chain. I wonder who stole the 99 from whom and what
>significance there is in putting 99 first?

The original location was at 99 State Street in Boston.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 15:55:20 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:16:26 -0800, sf > wrote:
>

> >Looking at 99 Restaurant location finder.... huh, we drove through
> >that area in October! We have 99 Ranch out here, which is a small
> >grocery store chain. I wonder who stole the 99 from whom and what
> >significance there is in putting 99 first?

> The original location was at 99 State Street in Boston.

Thanks Ed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:32 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Exactly. Here's another example. I collect restaurant menus. If I eat
>> in a new place and want to add their menu to my collection, I'll ask if
>> they have paper menus. If they don't, on occasion the server or manager
>> will just give me one of their table menus. I wouldn't think of
>> stealing one! Someone's paying for that five-finger discount and it's
>> *us*, the consumer.

> And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
> to you.
>
> -sw

Everybody including managers will steal from the owners. Running a
restaurant is hell.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 14, 2012 6:38:27 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> This is the one I got:
>

> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
>
> mill
>

> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it shorter.
>

> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>

> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not leave
>
> pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it rarely ever
>
> leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were very bad in that
>
> respect. Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
>
> been a first. Love this thing!

I love freshly ground pepper. I ground a little for each of the kids when they were young and had them taste it and see that it has a flavor, and is not just hot. They all now like pepper and cook with freshly ground. Last year I treated myself to a Unicorn pepper mill and it is fantastic. I hope yours continues to please as mine has.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:21:46 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:32 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Exactly. Here's another example. I collect restaurant menus. If I eat
>> in a new place and want to add their menu to my collection, I'll ask if
>> they have paper menus. If they don't, on occasion the server or manager
>> will just give me one of their table menus. I wouldn't think of
>> stealing one! Someone's paying for that five-finger discount and it's
>> *us*, the consumer.

>And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
>to you.

Yeah, one occasional menu really raises the prices. And in fact the
restaurant can write off the price of the menus they give out as the
cost of advertising... many restos purposely hand out paper menus as
advertizing... many people keep a stack of menus near their phone,
especially take outs. If some restaurants are placing disposable
pepper mills on their tables I'd not be suprised it they have them
printed with their business info. Every pizzaria I've ever patronized
has their business info printed on their pizza boxes, and they very
often include paper menus.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:

>Everybody including managers will steal from the owners. Running a
>restaurant is hell.

Stealing is why most restaurants fail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> That's like suggesting E-Coli stole the "57" from Heinz (or visa
> versa).

E-Coli... Great name for a band! Poor name for a restaurant.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2012 9:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:32 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Exactly. Here's another example. I collect restaurant menus. If I eat
>> in a new place and want to add their menu to my collection, I'll ask if
>> they have paper menus. If they don't, on occasion the server or manager
>> will just give me one of their table menus. I wouldn't think of
>> stealing one! Someone's paying for that five-finger discount and it's
>> *us*, the consumer.

> And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
> to you.
>
> -sw

Give me a break. I have exactly three table menus that were given to
me. They are of the type that fit into a plastic sleeve, so the
restaurant can easily change the menu/prices. They didn't give me the
plastic sleeve, just the paper inserts. Not much different from giving
me a paper miniature of their menu.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:02:30 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/16/2012 9:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:54:32 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Exactly. Here's another example. I collect restaurant menus. If I eat
> >> in a new place and want to add their menu to my collection, I'll ask if
> >> they have paper menus. If they don't, on occasion the server or manager
> >> will just give me one of their table menus. I wouldn't think of
> >> stealing one! Someone's paying for that five-finger discount and it's
> >> *us*, the consumer.

> > And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
> > to you.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Give me a break. I have exactly three table menus that were given to
> me. They are of the type that fit into a plastic sleeve, so the
> restaurant can easily change the menu/prices. They didn't give me the
> plastic sleeve, just the paper inserts. Not much different from giving
> me a paper miniature of their menu.

He'd accuse you of that even if it was a daily menu with the date
printed on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:02:30 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
>>> to you.
>>>

>> Give me a break.

> Why? You complained about the cost of food going up because some
> menus were stolen. Why wouldn't the price go up when the menus were
> given to you? They're still out a few menus.
>
>> I have exactly three table menus that were given to
>> me. They are of the type that fit into a plastic sleeve, so the
>> restaurant can easily change the menu/prices. They didn't give me the
>> plastic sleeve, just the paper inserts. Not much different from giving
>> me a paper miniature of their menu.

> And when people steal menus they only take the inserts as well. The
> sleeves are really hard to sneak out of the restaurant.
>
> I've only ever stolen one menu:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...n/photostream/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...n/photostream/
>
> -sw

I've had places photo copy the menu for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-12-14 11:38:27 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> This is the one I got:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>
> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not leave
> pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it rarely ever
> leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were very bad in
> that respect. Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but
> this has been a first. Love this thing!

The wife really wanted an electric one, you just up-end it and away it
goes. I thought it was kinda silly, but kept it to myself. But I gotta
say I love that thing; it's how these things work in practice that
matters. Similarly I've never seen the point of an electric
can-opener. I suppose that could change too if we start using a lot of
canned goods.

We may get an electric salt mill if we can find one cheap enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> This is the one I got:
>
> http://www.target.com/p/olde-thompso...11&term=pepper
>
> mill
>
> Looks like that link didn't go so well. Lemme see if I can make it shorter.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/cz3coqu
>
> I like a very coarse grind and it does give me that. It does not leave
> pepper dust in the mill like the previous ones did. And it rarely ever
> leaves any pepper underneath it! The previous ones were very bad in that
> respect. Tonight there were two large pieces underneath it but this has
> been a first. Love this thing!

I got to remember to check that out. Would match my target red storage
containers, and my red kitchen.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2012 9:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:55:52 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 09:09:28 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> So *you're* the reason prices in restaurants are often through the roof,
>>> eh? Then again, better restaurants don't leave pepper mills on the
>>> table. The server comes around with the pepper mill asking if you'd
>>> like freshly ground pepper. Ditto grated parm, if applicable.

>> Why do you believe that Freides Freak... I've never seen a resto with
>> pepper mills on the table, have you? The Freides Freak probably
>> steals s n'p shakers so he doesn't have to buy s n' p... the cheapo
>> bastid theif.

> Plenty of Italian restaurants have disposable pepper mills on the
> tables. 2 that I've been to in the last month.
>
> Here's Mandolas Italian Market - look right next to the red pepper:
>
> http://img2.10bestmedia.com/Images/P...28_550x370.jpg
>
> Why do so many people have a hard time accepting the fact that there
> are things in this world they have never seen, such as bacon being
> sold in a deli? Or disposable pepper grinders on tables? Or a undred
> other things posted here during any given month.

Hey, I never said I don't believe bacon is sold in the deli, I just said
I didn't see it. See=notice. I even said I have to have a look next
time I shop.

> Who the **** cares if you haven't seen them (Jill, Sheldon, etc..)?
> Others have. Nobody cares if YOU haven't seen them. Save your
> breath.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2012 9:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 20:02:30 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

>>> And we, the consumer, are paying for all those menus that were given
>>> to you.
>>>

>> Give me a break.

> Why? You complained about the cost of food going up because some
> menus were stolen.

No, I complained about "Somebody" gloating about stealing pepper mills
off restaurant tables. I'm sure even the el-cheapo disposable pepper
mills cost more than a paper menu insert.

Jill