Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default New pepper mill!

I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming Tsai
uses. I got two as a gift. The one that came with the mixed peppercorns
was fine but I prefer the black pepper. The one with the black pepper
worked just fine except that the little sliding door for filling it was
defective. It eventually broke after several fillings. I then switched the
black pepper over to the other one and got rid of the mixed peppercorns
because I never seemed to use them. That one broke rather quickly. Handle
snapped off. I replaced it and that handle snapped off after a few uses.
From what I have read online from the reviews, they have cheapened the
product over the years and the handle snapping off was quite a problem.
Phooey because otherwise I liked the things.

Bought a little clear pepper mill from Fred Meyers with a little chrome ball
on the top. Paid about $10 for it. Online reviews of it were good. And it
did work fine for...I don't remember exactly...at least a year or two. And
then the little ball on top fell off into my food! I put it back on but it
has had a problem since then. It does work. It just won't do a coarse
grind any more and that's what I prefer.

So... Bought one for about $20 at Target. It has red towards the top but
they came in different colors. Gives me a really coarse grind. I love the
thing! You can adjust it for different grinds if you want.

Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> So... Bought one for about $20 at Target. It has red
>> towards the top but they came in different colors. Gives
>> me a really coarse grind. I love the thing! You can
>> adjust it for different grinds if you want.
>>
>> Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

> Julie,
>
> I have a battery operated pepper mill that I got as a gift
> probably 15 years ago. A button on top starts and stops the
> motor. Also helpful for weak wrists. The peppercorns sit in a
> clear plastic section. It's short and compact and can get lost
> on the condiment tray.
>
> The whole top pops off for easy filling/swapping peppercorns.
>
> It's grind adjustable and has an inch shield so pepper goes
> just where you want it.
>
> I go back and forth from black to white peppercorns. Black for
> burgers, steaks and other rich color foods. White for eggs,
> mashed potatoes, tuna salad, etc.
>
> I bought a jar of multicolor peppercorns but didn't notice
> any appreciable flavor benefit. I threw it out for the birds.
>
> Enjoy your new pepper mill.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I have seen the battery operated ones. But it would seem there is a limited
selection to choose from in the actual brick and mortar stores around here
and I wanted one right away. The top pops off of this one too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

.... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.

Sigh.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming Tsai
> uses. I got two as a gift.

You're talking about the clear ball with rabbit ear handles? I bought
a small one a few years ago because it looked like a good idea for
cooking. It looked like a] good one handed way to grind pepper. I
didn't use it very often or very long before it just stopped working.
Nothing broke off, it just stopped working. It wasn't terribly
expensive, but it quit so soon that it just didn't seem like a good
idea to keep throwing good money after bad replacing it. Since then
I've noticed more and more pepper being sold in its own grinder which
is what I'm buying for cooking and to put on the kitchen table now.
One of the grinders is even refillable, so when I use the contents up
I'll refill it with a fancier pepper.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I go back and forth from black to white peppercorns. Black for
> burgers, steaks and other rich color foods. White for eggs,
> mashed potatoes, tuna salad, etc.

I thought only restaurant chefs did that, Andy. Personally I don't care
about the color of the pepper. I use black for all.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>
> Sigh.

I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind. Loosen
the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked well
for me for over 30 years.

I actually need to go to the healthfood store tomorrow to buy a bag of
peppercorns. They are not fancy organic ones, just fresh and cheap ones.
That said though, since the healthfood store sells them, they very well
might be organic...not that I care.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 09:40:52 -0500, Andy wrote:
>
> > My good friend who gifted me that pepper mill bought himself a
> > different brand that had a light that shined on what you
> > wanted to pepper.

> A pepper mill with Extra Sensory Perception?
>
> -sw

A pepper mill with a cute little light to shine on the food sounds more like
a late night infommercial deal to me. "Only $19.95 + s&h. Call in the next
30 minutes and receive a 2nd one for free! An $80 value!"

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2012 5:44 AM, Gary wrote:
> pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>>
>> Sigh.

> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind. Loosen
> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked well
> for me for over 30 years.
>
> I actually need to go to the healthfood store tomorrow to buy a bag of
> peppercorns. They are not fancy organic ones, just fresh and cheap ones.
> That said though, since the healthfood store sells them, they very well
> might be organic...not that I care.
>
> Gary

I think Costco sells peppercorn pretty cheap. I have a big container of
cracked black pepper which I use in my pepper mill. Having the pepper
pre-split really makes the grinding go faster because they're easily
grabbed by the grinder thingies. The whole peppercorns then to be
reluctant to down hatch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Gary > wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >>
> >> I go back and forth from black to white peppercorns. Black
> >> for burgers, steaks and other rich color foods. White for
> >> eggs, mashed potatoes, tuna salad, etc.

> > I thought only restaurant chefs did that, Andy. Personally
> > I don't care about the color of the pepper. I use black
> > for all.
> >
> > Gary
> >

> Gary,
>
> I've been guilty of judging dishes by sight first, taste second.
> [Shrug]

Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
I've never tried it.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
> I've never tried it.

In my experience, it's noticeably milder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
> > I've never tried it.

> In my experience, it's noticeably milder.

Thanks for that info. Based on that, I'll stick to the black. I love it
coursely ground.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 26, 10:30*am, Andy > wrote:
> Gary > wrote:
> > Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as
> > black pepper? I've never tried it.

> Gary,
>
> White pepper is the husked inner berry off the black peppercorn.
> It tastes milder and I tend to use a lot more and finely ground.

White pepper is commonly on the table in Chinese restaurants. Often
white pepper is recommended for use in cooking. to me, the lack of the
husk gives white pepper a distinct taste, reminiscent of hot and sour
soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I think Costco sells peppercorn pretty cheap. I have a big container of
> cracked black pepper which I use in my pepper mill. Having the pepper
> pre-split really makes the grinding go faster because they're easily
> grabbed by the grinder thingies. The whole peppercorns then to be
> reluctant to down hatch.

LOL! You're getting a little picky there, aren't you? I want my
peppercorns to be whole and I don't mind an extra twist to break them up.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:41:14 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.

What's to know, simply turn the adjusting screw, self evident.
When it comes to the best pepper mill, one word "Atlas". They're
actually coffee mills but work equally well with peppercorns:
http://www.peppermillimports.com/mills_and_grinders.htm
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+pepper+mills

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> White pepper is the husked inner berry off the black peppercorn.
> It tastes milder and I tend to use a lot more and finely ground.

Thanks, Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2012 7:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I think Costco sells peppercorn pretty cheap. I have a big container of
>> cracked black pepper which I use in my pepper mill. Having the pepper
>> pre-split really makes the grinding go faster because they're easily
>> grabbed by the grinder thingies. The whole peppercorns then to be
>> reluctant to down hatch.

> LOL! You're getting a little picky there, aren't you? I want my
> peppercorns to be whole and I don't mind an extra twist to break them up.
>
> Gary

I have trouble with my grinders just catching air. Since I'm not into
snowboarding, this is frustrating for me. The pepper corns are broken
mostly in half. The grinding experience is just like grinding regular
whole peppers except that you have a more positive feed. It's a very
satisfying feeling!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I have seen the battery operated ones. But it would seem
>> there is a limited selection to choose from in the actual
>> brick and mortar stores around here and I wanted one right
>> away. The top pops off of this one too!

> Julie,
>
> My good friend who gifted me that pepper mill bought himself a
> different brand that had a light that shined on what you
> wanted to pepper. I thought it was a silly idea. When in your
> life did you need that feature. People don't eat in the dark..
> It quickly broke. Being a geek, he was "mildly" ****ed off and
> went back to the conventional pepper mill. -)
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

That's funny!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>>
>> Sigh.

> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind.
> Loosen
> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked well
> for me for over 30 years.
>
> I actually need to go to the healthfood store tomorrow to buy a bag of
> peppercorns. They are not fancy organic ones, just fresh and cheap ones.
> That said though, since the healthfood store sells them, they very well
> might be organic...not that I care.
>
> Gary

That's how this last one worked but then I couldn't get it to go to the
coarse grind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 10/26/2012 5:44 AM, Gary wrote:
>> pltrgyst wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>>> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>>>
>>> Sigh.

>> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind.
>> Loosen
>> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked
>> well
>> for me for over 30 years.
>>
>> I actually need to go to the healthfood store tomorrow to buy a bag of
>> peppercorns. They are not fancy organic ones, just fresh and cheap ones.
>> That said though, since the healthfood store sells them, they very well
>> might be organic...not that I care.
>>
>> Gary
>>

> I think Costco sells peppercorn pretty cheap. I have a big container of
> cracked black pepper which I use in my pepper mill. Having the pepper
> pre-split really makes the grinding go faster because they're easily
> grabbed by the grinder thingies. The whole peppercorns then to be
> reluctant to down hatch.

Yes. I buy mine there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:41:14 -0400, pltrgyst >
> wrote:
>
>>On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>>word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.

> What's to know, simply turn the adjusting screw, self evident.
> When it comes to the best pepper mill, one word "Atlas". They're
> actually coffee mills but work equally well with peppercorns:
> http://www.peppermillimports.com/mills_and_grinders.htm
> http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+pepper+mills

The grinding screw on mine was on the top but it had a problem with it and
wouldn't turn to the coarse part any more. I don't know why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming
>> Tsai
>> uses. I got two as a gift.

> You're talking about the clear ball with rabbit ear handles? I bought
> a small one a few years ago because it looked like a good idea for
> cooking. It looked like a] good one handed way to grind pepper. I
> didn't use it very often or very long before it just stopped working.
> Nothing broke off, it just stopped working. It wasn't terribly
> expensive, but it quit so soon that it just didn't seem like a good
> idea to keep throwing good money after bad replacing it. Since then
> I've noticed more and more pepper being sold in its own grinder which
> is what I'm buying for cooking and to put on the kitchen table now.
> One of the grinders is even refillable, so when I use the contents up
> I'll refill it with a fancier pepper.

Yes, that's the one. I liked it because you could use it with just one
hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Andy wrote:
>>
>> Gary > wrote:

>> > I thought only restaurant chefs did that, Andy. Personally
>> > I don't care about the color of the pepper. I use black
>> > for all.
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >

>> Gary,
>>
>> I've been guilty of judging dishes by sight first, taste second.
>> [Shrug]

> Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
> I've never tried it.

I think it tastes hotter. But that could be because I've only ever had it
finely ground. And pre-ground.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2012 11:28 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind.
>>> Loosen
>>> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked
>>> well
>>> for me for over 30 years.
>>>
>>> I actually need to go to the healthfood store tomorrow to buy a bag of
>>> peppercorns. They are not fancy organic ones, just fresh and cheap ones.
>>> That said though, since the healthfood store sells them, they very well
>>> might be organic...not that I care.
>>>
>>> Gary
>>>

>> I think Costco sells peppercorn pretty cheap. I have a big container of
>> cracked black pepper which I use in my pepper mill. Having the pepper
>> pre-split really makes the grinding go faster because they're easily
>> grabbed by the grinder thingies. The whole peppercorns then to be
>> reluctant to down hatch.

> Yes. I buy mine there.

It's dirt cheap!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2012 10:42 AM, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming Tsai
>> uses. I got two as a gift.

> You're talking about the clear ball with rabbit ear handles? I bought
> a small one a few years ago because it looked like a good idea for
> cooking. It looked like a] good one handed way to grind pepper. I
> didn't use it very often or very long before it just stopped working.
> Nothing broke off, it just stopped working. It wasn't terribly
> expensive, but it quit so soon that it just didn't seem like a good
> idea to keep throwing good money after bad replacing it.

I've used that grinder for a long time and its never stopped working.

Since then
> I've noticed more and more pepper being sold in its own grinder which
> is what I'm buying for cooking and to put on the kitchen table now.
> One of the grinders is even refillable, so when I use the contents up
> I'll refill it with a fancier pepper.

I buy a few of those, too. I've never tried refilling, though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:41:14 -0400, pltrgyst >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >>... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
> >>word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.

> > What's to know, simply turn the adjusting screw, self evident.
> > When it comes to the best pepper mill, one word "Atlas". They're
> > actually coffee mills but work equally well with peppercorns:
> > http://www.peppermillimports.com/mills_and_grinders.htm
> > http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rden&field-key
> > words=atlas+pepper+mills

> The grinding screw on mine was on the top but it had a problem with it and
> wouldn't turn to the coarse part any more. I don't know why.

I bought my turkish coffee grinder in 1969 and it's still grinding away.
I switched it over to pepper many years ago. The adjusting screw works
great. My only complaint about it is that it tips over easily. (It was
made in Germany.)

DM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 19:26:34 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> I buy a few of those, too. I've never tried refilling, though.

You can remove the tops if you have the know-how. My brother does it,
but I can't. One of my disposable pepper grinders has a screw top on
it. They made it easily refillable for some reason at no extra charge
and I am not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'll FB the brand to
you when I get a chance.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:53:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
> I've never tried it.

Not much difference, maybe a little milder because the black husk is
missing. After cooking with it for a while, I decided I could live
with a few black specks in my white food - because I had enough
seasonings and didn't need to deal with something as unnecessary and
silly as white pepper.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

> ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.

I, personally, don't have a problem with preground black pepper and I
think the people who have trouble with it buy it too finely ground.
Preground coarse black pepper can pack a whollop. The coarser it is,
the stronger the flavor. If you like it really strong, try cracked
pepper sometime.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

>ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.
>
>Gary

I never knew what pepper really tasted like until I had a treat about
35 years ago. I was going to make a customer call with a salesman and
I met him at his house since it was on the way. He has chickens so I
was invited for breakfast and had a fresh laid egg with fresh ground
pepper. A couple of days later, we had our own pepper mill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>>
>> Sigh.

> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind.
> Loosen
> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked well
> for me for over 30 years.

Mine is >40 years old. Too many people ruin their pepper mills by twisting
back and forth. The conventional mills are made to work with a clockwise
twist and turning one anti-clockwise only wears the grinding teeth.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 10/26/2012 10:42 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming
>>> Tsai
>>> uses. I got two as a gift.

>> You're talking about the clear ball with rabbit ear handles? I bought
>> a small one a few years ago because it looked like a good idea for
>> cooking. It looked like a] good one handed way to grind pepper. I
>> didn't use it very often or very long before it just stopped working.
>> Nothing broke off, it just stopped working. It wasn't terribly
>> expensive, but it quit so soon that it just didn't seem like a good
>> idea to keep throwing good money after bad replacing it.

> I've used that grinder for a long time and its never stopped working.
>
> Since then
>> I've noticed more and more pepper being sold in its own grinder which
>> is what I'm buying for cooking and to put on the kitchen table now.
>> One of the grinders is even refillable, so when I use the contents up
>> I'll refill it with a fancier pepper.
>>

> I buy a few of those, too. I've never tried refilling, though.

That's what I used to buy and they were great! But I haven't seen them
around in a long time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> >
>> > Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

>> ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.
>>

> I, personally, don't have a problem with preground black pepper and I
> think the people who have trouble with it buy it too finely ground.
> Preground coarse black pepper can pack a whollop. The coarser it is,
> the stronger the flavor. If you like it really strong, try cracked
> pepper sometime.

I have not noticed this to be the case at all. I find the preground to be
pretty flavorless. Daughter only likes the preground as does my husband.
And they prefer the finer grind. So I buy that for them. I find with the
finer grind of freshly ground pepper it is just too overwhelming.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

>>ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.
>>
>>Gary

> I never knew what pepper really tasted like until I had a treat about
> 35 years ago. I was going to make a customer call with a salesman and
> I met him at his house since it was on the way. He has chickens so I
> was invited for breakfast and had a fresh laid egg with fresh ground
> pepper. A couple of days later, we had our own pepper mill.

The only time I remember my mom using pepper when I was a kid was actually
on a fried egg. Now she may have used it in cooking and I didn't know. But
I would freak if I saw the black specks of pepper on my egg. I think I
probably did this because one of my dad's big pet peeves was flecks of
seasoning. If he saw specks of something in his food and he couldn't
identify what it was, he would refuse to eat it until he knew what it was.

I really don't know or remember at what point I began eating pepper. I'm
sure it was probably in some recipe. When I first started using recipes
(around age 8) I would follow the recipes to the letter. I did actually
cook some things prior to that but I didn't use a recipe and just made them
the way I had been shown to do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> pltrgyst wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10/26/12 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> ... a whole bunch of pointless blather about pepper mills, and not one
>>> word about the grinding or adjusting mechanism in any one of them.
>>>
>>> Sigh.

>> I've got a plain, small wooden one where you twist the top to grind.
>> Loosen
>> the top for course ground or tighten for finer pepper. It has worked
>> well
>> for me for over 30 years.
>>

> Mine is >40 years old. Too many people ruin their pepper mills by twisting
> back and forth. The conventional mills are made to work with a clockwise
> twist and turning one anti-clockwise only wears the grinding teeth.
> Graham

I know somebody had posted about this before. That threw me! I even looked
it up online and could see nothing about it. The one I was given as a gift
many years ago didn't say anything about that. I think it was a wooden one.
Can't remember. It rusted out fairly quickly. After that I just bought the
prefilled ones from the spice aisle until they quit selling them here.
Obviously there was no twisting with the pepper balls. The mill prior
didn't say anything one way or the other and I did in fact twist it back and
forth until I read not to do that here. But when I tried to twist it in
only a clockwise twist, it didn't work very well.

However... The new one that I bought does say to only use the clockwise
twist.

But... If you get pepper in a restaurant, they usually seem to use the back
and forth twist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

> >ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.
> >
> >Gary

> I never knew what pepper really tasted like until I had a treat about
> 35 years ago. I was going to make a customer call with a salesman and
> I met him at his house since it was on the way. He has chickens so I
> was invited for breakfast and had a fresh laid egg with fresh ground
> pepper. A couple of days later, we had our own pepper mill.

I know what you mean. When I was a kid, my mom only bought the powdered
kind. It wasn't until I was a young adult that I discovered how much better
fresh ground (with a mill) was. I still use the pre-ground too but the
milled is so much stronger and better.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:53:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Just wondering.... does the white pepper taste the same as black pepper?
> > I've never tried it.

> Not much difference, maybe a little milder because the black husk is
> missing. After cooking with it for a while, I decided I could live
> with a few black specks in my white food - because I had enough
> seasonings and didn't need to deal with something as unnecessary and
> silly as white pepper.

Thanks for the white pepper info (and to the others here that answered that
too).Like you, I also wouldn't ever worry about the color on certain foods.
Actually, to me, mashed or baked potatoes wouldn't even look natural without
all the black pepper specks.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 13:54:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh how I loves me some black pepper!

> > ADD ME! I love freshly ground course black pepper.
> >

> I, personally, don't have a problem with preground black pepper and I
> think the people who have trouble with it buy it too finely ground.
> Preground coarse black pepper can pack a whollop. The coarser it is,
> the stronger the flavor. If you like it really strong, try cracked
> pepper sometime.

I keep and often use the preground black pepper too since I always seem to
be out of the whole peppercorns. They come from a different store that I
don't go to often. Actually the only reason I goto that other store is for
their spice. It's much fresher and much cheaper that what you get at a
grocery store.

I love cracked pepper best. Correct me if I'm wrong but I consider cracked
pepper the largest chunks you can make with your pepper mill. I have the
twist top kind and if you loosen it to where the top "bolt" is just about to
fall off, it makes the largest chunks.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Good morning!
>
> Hurricane Sandy, stay away from Andy!

Sounds like YOU better prepare for power outage too, Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2012 4:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 02:07:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I just bought one. Went through three of those pepper balls that Ming Tsai
>> uses. I got two as a gift.

> You're talking about the clear ball with rabbit ear handles? I bought
> a small one a few years ago because it looked like a good idea for
> cooking. It looked like a] good one handed way to grind pepper. I
> didn't use it very often or very long before it just stopped working.
> Nothing broke off, it just stopped working. It wasn't terribly
> expensive, but it quit so soon that it just didn't seem like a good
> idea to keep throwing good money after bad replacing it. Since then
> I've noticed more and more pepper being sold in its own grinder which
> is what I'm buying for cooking and to put on the kitchen table now.
> One of the grinders is even refillable, so when I use the contents up
> I'll refill it with a fancier pepper.

I've bought that one-handed grinders before. The grinding mechanism is
unique in that it uses a flat rasp blade rather than a burr mill. It
worked fine in the store but after a short while the thing wouldn't put
out and I gave it away. Too bad. These things don't have the mechanical
advantage of the burr mill which crushes and tears the pepper corns and
instead rely on the sharpness of the teeth of the rasp which is why they
lose performance after a while.

how to refill the pepper section of an olde thompson acrylicsaltshaker / pepper mill Camp Stove General Cooking 1 28-07-2016 03:08 AM
Love my pepper mill! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 82 20-12-2012 03:16 PM
Pepper mill Nancy Young General Cooking 60 20-09-2006 12:46 AM
Pepper Mill Battle Brick Barbecue 0 15-01-2005 02:05 PM
Anyone know who invented the pepper mill, and when? h Cooking Equipment 11 08-02-2004 03:25 AM