Old 25-05-2006, 09:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe Needed: Angel Food Cake

I went to the grocery store today and read the boxes from angel food
cake mixes. I had been searching the net for recipes that looked lower
in carbs (have to wait until the raspberries are in season for the one
posted here). The box mixes are 33- 35g of carbs per 1/12 of a cake.
Too high!

I did find one on Recipe Zaar http://www.recipezaar.com/ that has only
19.3g per serving. This, I feel we can work with if we do some portion
control.

Interestingly, the recipe calls for confectioners' sugar. I am wondering
if I could substitute half of the confectioners' sugar for Splenda as
the texture is about the same. Or maybe 1/4 Splenda and 3/4
confectioner's sugar.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Splenda and confectioners' sugar
proportions or should I just use the sugar and portion control?

--
-----------
Janet Wilder

Old 25-05-2006, 10:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

19 grams is so beyond my entire carb budget for a meal that I wouldn't
do it, especially with no fat present.

One similar thing that adapts very well to sugar free baking is
meringues; spread into a 4" shell and baked, it's a great vehicle for
all kinds of berries.

Susan

We would use portion control to bring down the 19g. A 15 gram meal of
protien and veggies and an occassional 10-15g dessert are not a problem
for DH. He can bolus for it. This would be a special occassion desert as
we normally don't eat desert.

We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

Have you tried using powdered egg whites? Much more economical than
separating eggs especially for us as we don't do high fat (good, bad or
indifferent) so we wouldn't have a lot of use for the left over yolks.

--
-----------
Old 26-05-2006, 08:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

Yes, please, Janet!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Old 26-05-2006, 03:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
"Janet Wilder" wrote in message

We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

Yes, please, Janet!

Nicky.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Macaroons

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories : Cakes Cookies & Pies

8 ounces blanched almonds -- slivered
1 cup Splenda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp vanilla
butter-flavor cooking spray

In a food processor grind fine the almonds with the Splenda and salt.
In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy (just before soft
peaks form) and fold in the almond mixture, gently but thoroughly. Line
a baking sheet with parchment paper and "butter" or spray the parchment.
Spoon batter onto the parchment by half-teaspoons, placing the mounds
2 inches apart. Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 300 degree oven for
20 minutes or until they are golden around the edges. Let them cool on
the parchment. Peel the macaroons from the parchment and store them in
an airtight container.

yield 48 (2 cookies per serving)
Notes: Instead of the parchment and cooking spray, I use a Silpat
(silicone mat). I also use powdered egg whites.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 57 Calories; 5g Fat (73.6%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 28mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

--