Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe Needed: Angel Food Cake

Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead of
sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.

From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour in
an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just reluctant
to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other proportions
would work.

TIA
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead of
> sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.
>
> From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour in
> an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just reluctant
> to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other proportions
> would work.
>
> TIA

I don't know if using 100% Splenda would change the texture/density or
not. My baker's instinct tell me it would, as Splenda doesn't provide
structure. This one uses sugar, but is only 13.8g CHO per 1/16 of a cake
(not a big piece). I haven't tried this recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Raspberry Angel Food Cake

Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes

10 egg whites
1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup cake flour
2 cups fresh raspberries

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; beat in cream of tartar
until soft peaks form. Add the extracts. Gradually beat in sugar until
stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.

One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm sure you know this already, but an angel food cake must "hang" when
cooling. If your cake pan doesn't have little feet to invert the pan
when cooling, put it onto a glass bottle to cool. You'll get a lighter
cake that way.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Otis wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 11:31:09 -0500, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>

>>Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda
>>
>>TIA

> Desserts
>
> http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/lowcarb-desserts.html

Thanks. I looked there and there was one for chocolate angel food cake,
but not regular. We don't follow the high-fat diets, even though we low
carb.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead
>> of sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.
>>
>> From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour in
>> an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just
>> reluctant to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other
>> proportions would work.
>>
>> TIA

> I don't know if using 100% Splenda would change the texture/density or
> not. My baker's instinct tell me it would, as Splenda doesn't provide
> structure. This one uses sugar, but is only 13.8g CHO per 1/16 of a cake
> (not a big piece). I haven't tried this recipe.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Raspberry Angel Food Cake
>
> Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
> Categories : Cakes

> 10 egg whites
> 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 cup cake flour
> 2 cups fresh raspberries
>
> In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; beat in cream of tartar
> until soft peaks form. Add the extracts. Gradually beat in sugar until
> stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
> whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
> batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
> at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
> top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1
> hour.
>
> One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
> 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> I'm sure you know this already, but an angel food cake must "hang" when
> cooling. If your cake pan doesn't have little feet to invert the pan
> when cooling, put it onto a glass bottle to cool. You'll get a lighter
> cake that way.
>
> Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. That is about the carb count I've been looking for. I'll
have to wait until the fresh raspberries hit our market to try it.

I always invert my angel cake pan over a wine bottle. The little feet
don't work as well.

BTW, I use powdered egg whites for cakes, macaroons and meringues and
they work very well.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> Before I got granulated and powdered erythritol, I used to bake with
> xylitol, which is 40% less caloric and carby than sucrose. It bulks just
> like sugar in baking. So does granulated erythritol, which is zero
> calorie and carb, but it stayed gritty in a cheesecake recipe. It's
> been fine for me in other baked goods, though. Both of these sugar
> alchohols taste like sugar, not like artificial sweetener.
>
> Susan

I appreciate the suggestion, but sugar alcohols aren't a good substitute
for us.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote in
:

<snip>

> FTR, erythritol does not cause a laxative effect nor any gastric
> distress like many SAs can. My family has no gastric effect from
> xylitol either, but I can't speak more generally about it the way I
> can about eryhtritol.
>
> Susan

Not always true - I get gastric effects from pretty much any of the
sugar alcohols! I tried something that had only erythritol as a
sweetener and.... it was no different for me than any other sugar
alcohol.

I was able to use any of the sugar alcohols for quite some time without
any problem and I guess my body decided "enough" - or I was going
through enough of a constipation period that the sugar alcohols made me
"normal" again!!!

Sherry
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

try adding minute tapioca at the bottom of the pie
shell before the filling

this absorbs the extra moisture and is quite
tastey too....... giving you a 'thicker' pie
filling

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message ...

> I made some wonderful strawberry/rhubarb

"something" (pie without any
> crust, so sort of baked filling) this past week

with Xylitol for
> sweetening (and rhubarb from my own garden).

Totally yummy, with no
> aftertaste or GI effects.
>
> I don't often bake desserts with a lot of

sweetener in them, but rhubarb
> really needs it.
>
> Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"TigerLily" > wrote:

> try adding minute tapioca at the bottom of the pie
> shell before the filling

Uh, no pie shell, just buttered pan. ;-)

> this absorbs the extra moisture and is quite
> tastey too....... giving you a 'thicker' pie
> filling

I'd be concerned about the carbs from the tapioca.

What I made was truly yummy. :-)

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> I used cinnamon, dried lemon peel, and the tiniest dash of salt.

Sounds interesting - why the salt?

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> I made some wonderful strawberry/rhubarb "something" (pie without any
> crust, so sort of baked filling) this past week with Xylitol for
> sweetening (and rhubarb from my own garden). Totally yummy, with no
> aftertaste or GI effects.
>
> I don't often bake desserts with a lot of sweetener in them, but rhubarb
> really needs it.

My friend, Jane, makes it with Splenda. It's delicious.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead
>> of sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.
>>
>> From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour in
>> an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just
>> reluctant to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other
>> proportions would work.
>>
>> TIA

I make a baby food cake that uses a ton of sugar and so i tried it with
splenda, the first piece while it was still warm was good, but once it
cooled it was as dry as sawdust. heating it didnt work margarine didnt
work it was worthless. So the splenda does change the texture/moisture.

--
Trials Make Us Stronger

Until the next great backpack,
Happy Trails
PackMule64
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:
>
> > I made some wonderful strawberry/rhubarb "something" (pie without any
> > crust, so sort of baked filling) this past week with Xylitol for
> > sweetening (and rhubarb from my own garden). Totally yummy, with no
> > aftertaste or GI effects.
> >
> > I don't often bake desserts with a lot of sweetener in them, but rhubarb
> > really needs it.
> >

> My friend, Jane, makes it with Splenda. It's delicious.

She's lucky. If I put Splenda in anything that isn't primarily dairy,
it tastes to me like I'm sucking pennies.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Nicky" > wrote:

> "Priscilla H. Ballou" > wrote in message
> > I used cinnamon, dried lemon peel, and the tiniest dash of salt.

> Sounds interesting - why the salt?

Because years ago my mother taught me that salt is a flavor-enhancer,
and it can enhance the flavor of sweet foods just as it can that of
savories. The strawberries I was using were supermarket berries, so I
figured that a little boost might be in order.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Splenda is an artifical sweetener, IT IS NOT SUGAR. It IS made from
sugar, but if you look on the contents list, sugar is not mentioned
anywhere.

PackMule64 wrote:
> Vicki Beausoleil wrote:
>
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead
>>> of sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.
>>>
>>> From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour
>>> in an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just
>>> reluctant to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other
>>> proportions would work.
>>>
>>> TIA

> I make a baby food cake that uses a ton of sugar and so i tried it with
> splenda, the first piece while it was still warm was good, but once it
> cooled it was as dry as sawdust. heating it didnt work margarine didnt
> work it was worthless. So the splenda does change the texture/moisture.
>
>> I don't know if using 100% Splenda would change the texture/density or
>> not. My baker's instinct tell me it would, as Splenda doesn't provide
>> structure. This one uses sugar, but is only 13.8g CHO per 1/16 of a
>> cake (not a big piece). I haven't tried this recipe.
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> <snip>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Priscilla H. Ballou wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>>My friend, Jane, makes it with Splenda. It's delicious.

> She's lucky. If I put Splenda in anything that isn't primarily dairy,
> it tastes to me like I'm sucking pennies.
>
> Priscilla

How wierd. I find that I have no problems with Splenda at all *except*
when it's in dairy. I have made cheesecake with Splenda and with
Diabetesweet and I find the Splenda leaves a tinny taste but the
Diabetesweet tastes just like sugar. It costs like diamonds, though <g>

DH finds absolutely no difference in either product.

I think everyone has differences in taste buds that account for one
person liking something and another not.
--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I went to the grocery store today and read the boxes from angel food
cake mixes. I had been searching the net for recipes that looked lower
in carbs (have to wait until the raspberries are in season for the one
posted here). The box mixes are 33- 35g of carbs per 1/12 of a cake.
Too high!

I did find one on Recipe Zaar http://www.recipezaar.com/ that has only
19.3g per serving. This, I feel we can work with if we do some portion
control.

Interestingly, the recipe calls for confectioners' sugar. I am wondering
if I could substitute half of the confectioners' sugar for Splenda as
the texture is about the same. Or maybe 1/4 Splenda and 3/4
confectioner's sugar.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Splenda and confectioners' sugar
proportions or should I just use the sugar and portion control?

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

> 19 grams is so beyond my entire carb budget for a meal that I wouldn't
> do it, especially with no fat present.
>
> One similar thing that adapts very well to sugar free baking is
> meringues; spread into a 4" shell and baked, it's a great vehicle for
> all kinds of berries.
>
> Susan

We would use portion control to bring down the 19g. A 15 gram meal of
protien and veggies and an occassional 10-15g dessert are not a problem
for DH. He can bolus for it. This would be a special occassion desert as
we normally don't eat desert.

We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

Have you tried using powdered egg whites? Much more economical than
separating eggs especially for us as we don't do high fat (good, bad or
indifferent) so we wouldn't have a lot of use for the left over yolks.

--
-----------
Janet Wilder
The Road Princess
http://janetwilder.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
> macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
> recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

Yes, please, Janet!

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine
95/73/72Kg

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>
>>We do meringues especially when we have company. I also make him almond
>>macaroons, which have some carbs from the nuts. If anyone wants the
>>recipe, I'd be glad to post it.

> Yes, please, Janet!
>
> Nicky.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Almond Macaroons

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:35
Categories : Cakes Cookies & Pies

8 ounces blanched almonds -- slivered
1 cup Splenda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg whites
1/4 tsp vanilla
butter-flavor cooking spray

In a food processor grind fine the almonds with the Splenda and salt.
In a bowl, beat the egg whites until they are foamy (just before soft
peaks form) and fold in the almond mixture, gently but thoroughly. Line
a baking sheet with parchment paper and "butter" or spray the parchment.
Spoon batter onto the parchment by half-teaspoons, placing the mounds
2 inches apart. Bake in the middle of a pre-heated 300 degree oven for
20 minutes or until they are golden around the edges. Let them cool on
the parchment. Peel the macaroons from the parchment and store them in
an airtight container.

yield 48 (2 cookies per serving)
Notes: Instead of the parchment and cooking spray, I use a Silpat
(silicone mat). I also use powdered egg whites.

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 57 Calories; 5g Fat (73.6%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 28mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Fat.

--