Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe Needed: Angel Food Cake

Vicki Beausoleil wrote:

> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Does someone have a recipe for angel food cake using Splenda instead
>> of sugar. Regular bulk Splenda, not the half and half kind, please.
>>
>> From the regular recipes, it looks like there isn't too much flour in
>> an angel food cake. Most of the volume is egg white. I'm just
>> reluctant to change sugar to Splenda as I don't know if the other
>> proportions would work.
>>
>> TIA

> I don't know if using 100% Splenda would change the texture/density or
> not. My baker's instinct tell me it would, as Splenda doesn't provide
> structure. This one uses sugar, but is only 13.8g CHO per 1/16 of a cake
> (not a big piece). I haven't tried this recipe.
>
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Raspberry Angel Food Cake
>
> Recipe By : Taste of Home Magazine
> Categories : Cakes

> 10 egg whites
> 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
> 1/2 cup sugar
> 1 cup cake flour
> 2 cups fresh raspberries
>
> In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; beat in cream of tartar
> until soft peaks form. Add the extracts. Gradually beat in sugar until
> stiff; scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Sift flour over beaten
> whites; sprinkle with berries. Gently fold flour and raspberries into
> batter until well mixed. Pour into an ungreased 10 inch tube pan. Bake
> at 325 degrees F for 40 - 45 minutes until lightly browned and entire
> top appears dry. Immediately invert cake pan; cool completely, about 1
> hour.
>
> One serving equals 1 starch. 65 calories, 35 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol,
> 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, trace fat.
>
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

> I'm sure you know this already, but an angel food cake must "hang" when
> cooling. If your cake pan doesn't have little feet to invert the pan
> when cooling, put it onto a glass bottle to cool. You'll get a lighter
> cake that way.
>
> Vicki

Thanks, Vicki. That is about the carb count I've been looking for. I'll
have to wait until the fresh raspberries hit our market to try it.

I always invert my angel cake pan over a wine bottle. The little feet
don't work as well.

BTW, I use powdered egg whites for cakes, macaroons and meringues and
they work very well.

--
Janet Wilder