Old 03-02-2006, 03:12 AM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default Cola or diet cola?

jacquie wrote:
Donna, do you folks in Texas make Sun Tea? We do here in Az ...Now
that is great tasting tea
jacquie

"Donna in Texas" wrote in message
Julia wrote:
I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of
cleaning out
the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea
to it.
Often, mold would form in there.

Oh no! I'm a big tea drinker [unsweetened, all my life] and I'll
never look at a nice cold glass of restaurant iced tea the same! The
horror! The desecration! 8-/

Could be worse. At one all-night joint in Sullivan, MO, they served my wife
the worst coffee she ever tasted. I tasted it after a while, and said
"that's hot iced tea". Some idiot had poured the iced tea mix in the coffee
maker.

Then they tried to charge us for it. I kept wishing they had tried on the
large table that filled up after we walked in. It was the entire local
Sheriff's department: they had guns. Do not serve bad coffee to a night
shift cop at 3 AM when he has a gun....

Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 AM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
On 2 Feb 2006 12:06:58 GMT, Chris Malcolm
wrote:

I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really

revolting, but I'm
not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several

people who
prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been

bought a coke
in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the

kind they'd
asked for.

Diet coke gives me incredible gas - in both directions:-)

drink a local diet cola called LA Ice.

They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
out here, implying that the taste is the same as the

"real"
thing. Has anyone tried that?

I have. I like it. I noticed a lot of kids walking around
with it, good advertising? Lol.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 AM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Freckles" wrote in message

Then I guess you will be having wine or beer with your meals?

Nope. Fatty liver. No alcohol. I have no problems ordering Diet Coke. If
they get it wrong (and it has only happened once since diagnosis), I send it
back. I realize that mistakes can be made. My daughter and I also have
food allergies. At this point, I'm more concerned with accidentally
ingesting something I'm allergic to than taking a swig of regular soda. The
regular soda might cause an unwanted spike, but it would likely be for only
a few hours. But a bit of egg in my food will make me VERY ill for two days
at least.

--
See my webpage:

Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 AM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" wrote in message

snip

They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
out here, implying that the taste is the same as the "real"
thing. Has anyone tried that?

Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons. I find
that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays with you. It's
not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old Tab. It's just bad. I
bought a bottle and managed to take a few swigs on the way home because I
was very thirsty. I wouldn't have bought it but it was the only diet drink
in the machine. Angela loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all
diet drinks. She hates seltzer though.

--
See my webpage:

Old 03-02-2006, 12:54 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:49:21 GMT, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Alan S" wrote in message
.. .

snip

They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
out here, implying that the taste is the same as the "real"
thing. Has anyone tried that?

Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons. I find
that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays with you. It's
not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old Tab. It's just bad. I
bought a bottle and managed to take a few swigs on the way home because I
was very thirsty. I wouldn't have bought it but it was the only diet drink
in the machine. Angela loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all
diet drinks. She hates seltzer though.

Thanks Julie. Of course, none of our sugared drinks taste
the same as yours, so it's possible our diet ones may be
different too.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Old 03-02-2006, 01:03 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really

revolting, but I'm
not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several

people who
prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been

bought a coke
in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the

kind they'd
asked for.

Diet coke gives me incredible gas - in both directions:-)

drink a local diet cola called LA Ice.

They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
out here, implying that the taste is the same as the

"real"
thing. Has anyone tried that?

I have. I like it. I noticed a lot of kids walking around
with it, good advertising? Lol.

As long as they weren't walking on top of moving buses..
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg
Old 03-02-2006, 01:27 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:49:21 GMT, "Julie Bove"

Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons.
I find that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays
with you. It's not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old
Tab. It's just bad. I bought a bottle and managed to take a few
swigs on the way home because I was very thirsty. I wouldn't have
bought it but it was the only diet drink in the machine. Angela
loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all diet drinks. She
hates seltzer though.

Thanks Julie. Of course, none of our sugared drinks taste
the same as yours, so it's possible our diet ones may be
different too.

Cyclamates. I miss the cyclamates in old Tab.

Old 03-02-2006, 03:23 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

jacquie wrote:
Donna, do you folks in Texas make Sun Tea? We do here in Az ...Now that is
great tasting tea

My mother used to make it, but I haven't tried it in years. It's raining
right now, but when the sun comes out I think I'll try making some. Thanks
for jogging my memory.

Regarding the Diet Cola discussion, have any of you tried this Diet Coke
with Lemon or Lime or Cherry? To me it tastes like floor cleaner. (I'm
serious---like floor cleaner.)

I have tried the Coke Zero but couldn't even drink it beyond a few sips. I
also don't care for the new Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda. I think those
who like the regular sugared Coke might like it, but I'm so used to diet
drinks that the Diet Coke with Splenda tastes too sweet. However, I like
the Diet 7-Up with Splenda.

Like some others of you, I used to drink Tab. I think I'd only be able to
get it here in the large bottles, but I think I'll try it again. I also
used to like Fresca but haven't drunk that in years. Maybe I'll try that
again.

Back in the mid-60s there was a drink that (I think) was no calorie and it
tasted somewhat like weak ale. It had no alcohol and was just sold on the
cola shelves. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of? I think it may
have even had the word "ale" somehow incorporated in the name.

Donna

Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message

Cyclamates. I miss the cyclamates in old Tab.

Me too! I loved cylamates!

--
See my webpage:

Old 03-02-2006, 04:43 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Donna in Texas" wrote in message

snip

Regarding the Diet Cola discussion, have any of you tried this Diet Coke
with Lemon or Lime or Cherry? To me it tastes like floor cleaner. (I'm
serious---like floor cleaner.)

The lemon seems to no longer be available here. It was okay. The cherry is
good, but too sweet. I can drink one can on occasion, but then I don't want
any more for a while. Love the lime! It's what I usually drink.

I have tried the Coke Zero but couldn't even drink it beyond a few sips.

also don't care for the new Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda. I think

those
who like the regular sugared Coke might like it, but I'm so used to diet
drinks that the Diet Coke with Splenda tastes too sweet. However, I like
the Diet 7-Up with Splenda.

I haven't tried the 7-Up with Splenda but I hate the Diet Coke with it.
Daughter likes it though.

Like some others of you, I used to drink Tab. I think I'd only be able to
get it here in the large bottles, but I think I'll try it again. I also
used to like Fresca but haven't drunk that in years. Maybe I'll try that
again.

I don't like Fresca the way I used to. The new cherry kind is good, but
again too sweet and I can't drink much of it.

Back in the mid-60s there was a drink that (I think) was no calorie and it
tasted somewhat like weak ale. It had no alcohol and was just sold on the
cola shelves. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of? I think it may
have even had the word "ale" somehow incorporated in the name.

Not sure what that would have been.

--
See my webpage:

Old 03-02-2006, 05:30 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic
JHA JHA is offline

I've found that Diet Coke with Lime tastes much better when I think of
it as "diet lime soda with Coke added"

Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

LOL...I like the cherry coke, I usually drink the reg diet coke though. Now
Diet Pepsi tastes like PineSol smells....Must be my taste buds but have
never been able to drink it

Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[...]

Haven't tried the lime yet ...guess I should. I like Fresca ok...but I like
Diet Squirt better....it's refreshing in the summer.
jacquie

Old 03-02-2006, 09:06 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"jacquie" wrote in message
k.net...
When we lived in Florida we always asked for unsweetened tea...because if
you didn't you would usually get sweetened Tea...Those Southerners do love
their Sweet Tea I alsways ask if it is freshly brewed and not

instant...I
hate instant tea. Speaking of Tea...I Love Twinnings Lady Grey Tea
Iced...Sometimes I will add a sweetener to it but it is a Great tasting
Tea Most the time when we go out to dinner I aske for Pelagrino

sparkeling
water ...if they don't have that I just ask for Club Soda with a slice of
lemon and lime...very refreshing drink

Here, you can't get club soda unless the place has a bar.

Well here ....if you go to any nice resturant it has a bar...so don't
usually have a problem finding it The nicest thing is if the bar isn't
completely closed off of the resturant there is no smoking...Most of the
nice places just turned themselves into no smoking resturant bars. I love it
....there is nothing worse than trying to eat when the room is filled with
smoke. I never realized how much I enjoyed it until we traveled through
Texas and the resturants didn't even have smoking sections.

--
See my webpage:

Old 03-02-2006, 09:06 PM posted to alt.support.diabetes,misc.health.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

My Grandson is a texture eater...from the time he was little, he will roll
food around and feel it with his tongue and if he doesn't like the texture
he won't eat it again...picky Picky

jacquie

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years

May I suggest an experiement? Leave yourself some calores at snack time, and
set up 4 small glasses of soda, such as Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Pepsi, and
Diet Pepsi. Then spend some time sipping each, comparing and savoring the
difference. Notice the texture on your teeth, how it *feels* in your mouth,
and especially the sensation at your gumlines.

Then leave the room, have someone refill the glasses and shuffle them
around. Then try it again. I can pretty much guarantee you will be able to
tell the difference.