Old 25-10-2003, 01:29 AM

Default Cola or diet cola?

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:12:09 +0000 (UTC), Priscilla H Ballou
wrote:

But it was 30 points higher the next morning, not in the post-prandial
reading. It might well have been "over the moon" at 1 and 2 hours.

But wouldn't he have shown some symptoms during that 1 or 2 hour time
that would have alerted him that something was up and he should check
his bg levels?

Cindi

Old 25-10-2003, 01:29 AM

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 11:35:59 GMT, Siobhan Perricone
wrote:
I don't know all the medical details, but when you're hungry and your tummy
is empty, your liver releases sugars into your blood stream. That's on of
the potential causes of the "dawn phenonmenon" (where you have higher BG
readings in the morning when you wake up because you haven't eaten anything
at all for 8 or so hours).

Is that why MD's use a fasting bg level done in the AM to determine
if/when a person is diabetic?

Cindi
Old 25-10-2003, 01:29 AM

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:46:46 -0500, Walter Luffman
wrote:

Not that anyone asked, but my current favorite diet cola is Pepsi One;
it really does taste "more like a regular cola", to me at least.
(Pre-diagnosis, I almost always chose Coke Classic over Pepsi.) Among
non-cola carbonated soft drinks, my usual choice is Diet Sprite.

That is my mom's favorite drink now also. She's the reason I'm in
this group. She is a type 2 diabetic, and I've been trying to find
some support groups for families of diabetics, but this is one of the
few things I have found.

Cindi
Old 25-10-2003, 01:57 AM
Lori

I've been trying to find
some support groups for families of diabetics, but this is one of the
few things I have found.

Check with your local hospital. They may have some lines on support
groups. You could probably join an actual diabetes support group. I
know that family involvement makes managing the disease much, much
easier.
____

Lori
Old 25-10-2003, 02:17 AM

wrote:

Not that anyone asked, but my current favorite diet cola is Pepsi One;
it really does taste "more like a regular cola", to me at least.
(Pre-diagnosis, I almost always chose Coke Classic over Pepsi.) Among
non-cola carbonated soft drinks, my usual choice is Diet Sprite.

That is my mom's favorite cola now also. She's the reason I'm in
here. She's been a type 2 diabetic for about 5 years now, and I've
been trying to find a support group for families of daibetics.

Cindi

Old 25-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Alan

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:15:22 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
wrote:

But wouldn't he have shown some symptoms during that 1 or 2 hour time
that would have alerted him that something was up and he should check
his bg levels?

I never have any symptoms of note when I'm having a spike. The only way I
can tell is when I test.

I only get symptoms (tight feeling in the forehead and scalp, flushed
face) when it is excessively high, over 9 (160) or 10 (180). Only the
meter can tell me if it's between 7 and 9.

Cheers Alan, T2, Oz
dx May 2002, diet and exercise.
Old 26-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Siobhan Perricone

wrote:

But wouldn't he have shown some symptoms during that 1 or 2 hour time
that would have alerted him that something was up and he should check
his bg levels?

I never have any symptoms of note when I'm having a spike. The only way I
can tell is when I test.

I only get symptoms (tight feeling in the forehead and scalp, flushed
face) when it is excessively high, over 9 (160) or 10 (180). Only the
meter can tell me if it's between 7 and 9.

Don't think I've ever had a spike higher than 163. I was diagnosed early
and I've been successfully controlling it with diet and exercise, and the
only times I've had such high spikes are after celebratory meals where I
eat whatever I want, including the special dessert, without counting the
carbs. Or when I eat too much sushi. Usually after such high carb
consumption I"ll take an extra long, more energetic walk, to lower my BG.
Usually that works. I've only had a very few really bad spikes in the last
ten months since diagnosis.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"
Old 27-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Herman Rubin

wrote:
I don't know all the medical details, but when you're hungry and your tummy
is empty, your liver releases sugars into your blood stream. That's on of
the potential causes of the "dawn phenonmenon" (where you have higher BG
readings in the morning when you wake up because you haven't eaten anything
at all for 8 or so hours).

Is that why MD's use a fasting bg level done in the AM to determine
if/when a person is diabetic?

This is why a fasting bg test is not always valid. The
dawn phenomenon is present in non-diabetics as well.

It is not that uncommon for my bg to rise by 30 points
or more between 4 AM and 7 AM. Which is the fasting
reading? The testing facilities here open at 7.

Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

Old 30-10-2003, 11:58 PM
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:14:46 -0400, Siobhan Perricone
wrote:

Is that why MD's use a fasting bg level done in the AM to determine
if/when a person is diabetic?

Yup.

Thanks a lot, sweetie!

Cindi
Old 31-10-2003, 12:01 AM
[email protected]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 00:57:24 GMT, Lori
wrote:

Check with your local hospital. They may have some lines on support
groups. You could probably join an actual diabetes support group. I
know that family involvement makes managing the disease much, much
easier.

Lori

Thanks, Lori. I have just now found out that our 81 year old roommate
is also diabetic. I think she is type two, as it has just started in
the past few days, from all the medicine that she takes for her
emphyzema.

Cindi
Old 31-10-2003, 12:03 AM
[email protected]

wrote:

I never have any symptoms of note when I'm having a spike. The only way I
can tell is when I test.

It wouldn't make a person jumpy or jittery or hyper like kids who eat
too much sugar do sometimes? Or is the only incidence that would
cause symptoms having too low of bg levels?

Cindi