Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

Default What is a good recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar
kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

With your help, I've solved the home carbonation problem and now endeavor
to replace the "cola kick" that is so addictingly pervasive in corporate
colas.

I've tried carbonated lemon juice but find the visceral kick isn't as
satisfying as that of a store-bought cola.

In a previous thread, folks mentioned the "caffeine", or "high-fructose
corn syrup" (aka HFCS) might be the ingredients in the manufactured colas
which provide that addictively satisfying kick ... hence my endeavor to
find a home kitchen cola recipe.

As for ingredients, it seems two no brainers are the caffeine powders and
the HFCS, both of which appear to be mail orderable if not in the local
stores, however, this open source recipe for homemade cola (licensed under
the GNU General Public License) doesn't seem to use either:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola
* 2.00 mL olive oil
* 3.50 mL orange oil
* 1.00 mL lemon oil
* 1.00 mL nutmeg oil
* 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil
* 0.25 mL coriander oil
* 0.25 mL neroli oil (similar to petitgrain, bergamot, or bitter orange
oil)
* 2.75 mL lime oil
* 0.25 mL lavender oil
* 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener)
* 3.00 mL water

Which is the "essential" ingredient in the above that gives it the
satisfying cola kick you find in store-bought colas? (Note: Snopes thinks
it the leaf ... http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp )

Old 11-04-2010, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:49 +0000 (UTC), Elmo wrote:

Which is the "essential" ingredient in the above that gives it the
satisfying cola kick you find in store-bought colas? (Note: Snopes thinks
it the leaf ... http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp )

Actually, I found LOTS of home made cola recipes (I should have googled
more extensively before I asked for a home made cola recipe).
http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/makesoda.html
http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wor...e-cola-recipe/
http://coffeetea.about.com/od/sodas/Soda_Recipes.htm
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ola78603.shtml
http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html
http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harp...made_Cola.html
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...a-at-Home.aspx
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...a_recipes.html
etc.

The main problem with these homemade cola soda forumulas is they all seem
to have quite a variety of presumably hard-to-find ingredients, petit
grain, coriander oil, coco, phosphoric acid, caffeine (legal limit is
65mg/12oz = http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/13), dried lavender flowers,
cola nuts, star anise, citric acid, etc..

What's useful is to find a single supplier for the various ingredients,
yet, perhaps, what's more interesting is to figure out what the secret
ingredient is that give it the essential mind-numbing bite.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:
[...]

Well, honey and HFCS have almost identical sugar profiles (approx.
55% fructose, 45% dextrose), so that might be a good start*. Add
caffeine, caramel color, and carbonation and you're almost there.

And don't forget some form of sodium, so it makes you thirstier
instead of quenches.

Bob

--
*I know honey is pure and good, and HFCS is evil. It's not my fault
they are essentially the same thing.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 3:26*pm, Elmo [email protected]
Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar
kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

What can you make with dog poop?

--Bryan
Old 12-04-2010, 12:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Elmo wrote:

[...]

My guess would be the nutmeg:

http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_info3.shtml

Nutmeg can be used as a psychedelic.

And no, I've never tried it. g

I've only ever used it as a a spice in sausage ingredients, or grated
lightly over eggnog.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Old 12-04-2010, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Elmo wrote:

In a previous thread, folks mentioned the "caffeine", or "high-fructose
corn syrup" (aka HFCS) might be the ingredients in the manufactured colas
which provide that addictively satisfying kick ... hence my endeavor to
find a home kitchen cola recipe.

Whatever is the real thing, it certainly ain't the corn sugar; that's a
relatively recent replacement for only because it's cheaper by
far...oldsters will claim the switch actually makes the beverage less
palatable.

Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar
kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

I haven't seen/haven't looked in quite a while, but grocery stores
used to carry root beer extract to which you added yeast to ferment and
produce carbonation. You could shortcut the yeast and use your CO2.

gloria p
Old 12-04-2010, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Address.invalid wrote:
Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar
kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

I haven't seen/haven't looked in quite a while, but grocery stores
used to carry root beer extract to which you added yeast to ferment and
produce carbonation. You could shortcut the yeast and use your CO2.

Why not simply buy a seltza bottle... add any flavors you desire
including eggcream.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

Now, you're ready to be in marketing department. well said.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 12-04-2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 8:21*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, you're ready to be in marketing department. well said.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"zxcvbob"
wrote in ...

And don't forget some form of sodium, so it makes you
thirstier instead of quenches.

Are you wearing your magical underpants right now? Of course you are.

Bob

--Bryan

Old 12-04-2010, 05:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Anyone have an easy recipe for home made carbonated cola (with a similar
kick as coca cola or pepsi)?

Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent.
That's the way they did it on tv.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:28:08 -0400, mm wrote:

Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent.
That's the way they did it on tv.

Here, for posterity, are some of the cola recipes I found today.
I'm not sure which one to pick because many use exotic ingredients.
I want simple; but with a kick.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-OpenCola
* 2.00 mL olive oil
* 3.50 mL orange oil
* 1.00 mL lemon oil
* 1.00 mL nutmeg oil
* 1.25 ml cassia (cinnamon) oil
* 0.25 mL coriander oil
* 0.25 mL neroli oil
* 2.75 mL lime oil
* 0.25 mL lavender oil
* 10.0 g food-grade, NOT ART-GRADE gum arabic (thickener)
* 3.00 mL water

http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
1 oz Citrate Caffeine 30 lbs. Sugar
3 oz Citric Acid 4 oz fluid extract from cocoa leaves
1 oz Ext. Vanilla 2.5 gal.Water
1 Qt. Lime Juice Caramel - sufficient
2.5 oz Flavourings where you choose one of those below:
80 drops Oil Orange 40 drops Oil Cinnamon
120 drops Oil Lemon 20 drops Oil Coriander
40 drops Oil Nutmeg 40 drops Oil Neroli
1 Qt Alcohol

http://sparror.cubecinema.com/cube/c...stry/cola2.htm
2.4 kg Sugar, dissolved in the minimum of water 3.1 g Caffeine
37 g Caramel 11 g Phosphoric Acid
1.1 g Decocainized Coca Leaf 0.37 g Kola Nuts
30 g Lime Juice 19 g Glycerine (vegetarian)
1.5 g Vanilla Extract
Flavourings (7X formula):
0.88 g (1.032 ml) Lemon Oil Trace Lavender Oil
0.47 g (0.557 ml) Orange Oil Trace Neroli Oil
0.20 g (0.190 ml) Cassia Oil 4.9 g 95% Alcohol
0.07 g (0.077 ml) Nutmeg Oil 2.7 g (2.7 ml) Water
Trace Coriander Oil

http://www.tristanstephenson.com/wor...e-cola-recipe/
# Zest of 2 oranges
# Zest of 2 limes
# Zest of 1 lemon
# 2 pinches of ground cinnamon
# 2 pinches of ground nutmeg
# 1 points of a star anise (crushed)
# 1/2 teaspoon of dried lavender flowers
# 1/2 teaspoon cola nuts (crushed ˇV mortar & pestle may be required.
WARNING! Cola nuts can be dangerous and are known to be carcinogenic, use
at your own risk -Wiki Article)
# 10g stem ginger
# 1/3 vanilla pod with the seeds scraped out and added as well
# 1/4 teaspoon citric acid

http://coffeetea.about.com/gi/o.htm?...most_Coke.html
2 T Sugar
1 t Vanilla
1/4 t Cinnamon
1 t Bottled Lime Juice
1 C Club Soda

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...ola78603.shtml
1/4 cup cold black coffee
2 teaspoons Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon sugar or artificial sweetener
1/2 pinch black pepper
Club soda

http://www.askyourneighbor.com/recipes/364.htm
1/4 c. cold black coffee
2 t. Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 t. vanilla extract
1 level t. sugar or artificial sweetener
few grains of black pepper

http://www.recipegoldmine.com/namebrand/coca-cola.html
32 fluid ounces caramel
32 fluid ounces lime juice
16 fluid ounces glycerin
12 fluid ounces 95% alcohol
12 fluid ounces Cola Flavor Base (recipe below)
Caffeine solution (2 ounces caffeine in 10 fluid ounces water)
2 fluid ounces vanilla extract

http://recipecircus.com/recipes/Harp...made_Cola.html
1/4 C cold black coffee
2 t Lipton instant lemon-tea powder
1/8 t vanilla extract
1 level t sugar or artificial sweetener
few grains of black pepper

etc.

It's amazing the list of ingredients in these open source colas!
I wonder which are the key ingredients that give coca cola its kick???

Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

Elmo wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:28:08 -0400, mm wrote:

Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent.
That's the way they did it on tv.

Here, for posterity, are some of the cola recipes I found today.
I'm not sure which one to pick because many use exotic ingredients.
I want simple; but with a kick.

Have oyu tried the Torani's cola syrup? mix with carbonated water.
--
JL
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Apr 12, 12:17*am, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
Elmo wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 00:28:08 -0400, mm wrote:

Get cola nuts and a guy with a big laugh and a Carribean accent.
That's the way they did it on tv.

Here, for posterity, are some of the cola recipes I found today.
I'm not sure which one to pick because many use exotic ingredients.
I want simple; but with a kick.

Have oyu tried the Torani's cola syrup? mix with carbonated water.
--
JL

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the nearest grocery or convenience
store and buy what you think tastes good??????
Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,sci.med.nutrition,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:57:26 -0700 (PDT), hr(bob) wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just go to the nearest grocery or convenience
store and buy what you think tastes good??????

(a) It wouldn't be much fun and certainly I'd learn nothing from it ...

(b) It would cost $1.50 a bottle + 10 cents CRV lost to the city ...

(c) Doing it myself costs 5 cents a bottle in total & I learn something.

REC: Coca-Cola I'm back. General Cooking 21 04-03-2011 06:37 AM
coca cola cake recipe anyone? pfoley General Cooking 9 04-10-2006 03:21 PM
Coca-Cola® Ham - New Variant Rich General Cooking 0 13-12-2004 08:33 PM
coca -cola paula General Cooking 74 23-03-2004 10:08 AM
Need recipe: harvester pie & coca cola pie CandaceJ General Cooking 1 25-11-2003 01:14 PM