FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cola or diet cola? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/81831-re-cola-diet-cola.html)

Larry Dow 02-02-2006 07:21 AM

Cola or diet cola?

"peanutjake" > wrote in
s.com:

> Last night I ordered a diet cola in a restaurant.
> The rest of my meal was zero carbs.
>
> The next morning my fasting reading was 30 points higher than
> usual.
>
> I am beginning to think that the waitress served me a regular
> cola.
>
> This is my question.
> Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my health
> was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as ordered?
>
> PJ

I don't think it is very likely that higher blood glucose readings
in the morning have anything to do with what you ate for dinner
the night before. Our diabetes educator and diabetes nurse say
that, essentially, anything over 3 - 4 hours can be considered a
fasting blood glucose level.

But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.

Larry

Ma¢k 02-02-2006 07:46 AM

Cola or diet cola?

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 00:21:11 -0600, Larry Dow
> Huffed and Puffed the following into the
madness of usenet:

>"peanutjake" > wrote in
ws.com:

>> Last night I ordered a diet cola in a restaurant.
>> The rest of my meal was zero carbs.
>>
>> The next morning my fasting reading was 30 points higher than
>> usual.
>>
>> I am beginning to think that the waitress served me a regular
>> cola.
>>
>> This is my question.
>> Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my health
>> was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as ordered?
>>
>> PJ
>>

>I don't think it is very likely that higher blood glucose readings
>in the morning have anything to do with what you ate for dinner
>the night before. Our diabetes educator and diabetes nurse say
>that, essentially, anything over 3 - 4 hours can be considered a
>fasting blood glucose level.
>
>But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
>prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.
>
>Larry

good proving a regular soda served by mistake harmed you enough to
cause damage and entitle you to compensation. if I get wind of where
it makes trial, I speak on behalf of the waitress.

damn frivolous law suits.

--
Mck©® Deltec CoZmore Pumper
Type 1 since 1975

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the
President, or that we are to stand by the President
right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile,
but is morally treasonable to the American public."
....Theodore Roosevelt

(o o)
--ooO-(_)-Ooo--------------------

"I don't know half of you
half as well as I should like;
and I like less than half of you
half as well as you deserve."

Jesus never hated anyone.

Gordon Burditt[_1_] 02-02-2006 07:52 AM

Cola or diet cola?

>> Last night I ordered a diet cola in a restaurant.
>> The rest of my meal was zero carbs.
>>
>> The next morning my fasting reading was 30 points higher than
>> usual.
>>
>> I am beginning to think that the waitress served me a regular
>> cola.

Possible, but I don't think you have enough evidence of this.

>> This is my question.
>> Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my health
>> was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as ordered?

How do you prove your damages? A single blood glucose reading alone
isn't much of an indication. If they did the same thing every day
for 10 years and you can prove this alone caused retinopathy which
requires expensive laser eye surgery, you'd have an actual medical
bill that wouldn't have otherwise happened.

>I don't think it is very likely that higher blood glucose readings
>in the morning have anything to do with what you ate for dinner
>the night before. Our diabetes educator and diabetes nurse say
>that, essentially, anything over 3 - 4 hours can be considered a
>fasting blood glucose level.

I was given the suggestion that eating an evening snack would make
my morning blood glucose *LOWER*. I didn't believe it, but I tried
it anyway. And it seems to work, by maybe 10-15 mg/dL. That much
on one reading wouldn't mean much, but it does seem pretty consistent.

>But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
>prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.

Gordon L. Burditt

Larry Dow 02-02-2006 08:11 AM

Cola or diet cola?

Ma¢k > wrote in
:

>>But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
>>prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.
>>
>>Larry

> good proving a regular soda served by mistake harmed you enough
> to cause damage and entitle you to compensation. if I get wind
> of where it makes trial, I speak on behalf of the waitress.
>
> damn frivolous law suits.

I have to agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that simply
having a high blood glucose would be cause for a suit. I just
meant that if something very serious occurred, the restaurant
would probably be liable. The chances of that happening are
pretty slim, but you never know. Try proving that you were given
the wrong thing. I don't think you could do it. It's always
better to pay attention and watch out for yourself. After a sip
of soft drink, if you think it's not the right thing, ask for a
new one. I was just giving a quick, simple answer to the question.
That was "Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my
health was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as
ordered?" If there was damage, the restaurant probably would be
responsible. Didn't mean to upset anybody.

Larry

Freckles 02-02-2006 09:12 AM

Cola or diet cola?

"Larry Dow" > wrote in message
7.142...
> Ma¢k > wrote in
> :
>
>>>But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
>>>prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.
>>>
>>>Larry

>> good proving a regular soda served by mistake harmed you enough
>> to cause damage and entitle you to compensation. if I get wind
>> of where it makes trial, I speak on behalf of the waitress.
>>
>> damn frivolous law suits.
>>

> I have to agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that simply
> having a high blood glucose would be cause for a suit. I just
> meant that if something very serious occurred, the restaurant
> would probably be liable. The chances of that happening are
> pretty slim, but you never know. Try proving that you were given
> the wrong thing. I don't think you could do it. It's always
> better to pay attention and watch out for yourself. After a sip
> of soft drink, if you think it's not the right thing, ask for a
> new one. I was just giving a quick, simple answer to the question.
> That was "Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my
> health was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as
> ordered?" If there was damage, the restaurant probably would be
> responsible. Didn't mean to upset anybody.
>
> Larry

Next time, if there is a next time, ask the waitress to bring you a BOTTLE
of diet cola and a glass.
That way you can be certain you are not drinking down a lot of unwanted
carbs.

Freckles

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 11:01 AM

Cola or diet cola?

"Freckles" > wrote in message

> Next time, if there is a next time, ask the waitress to bring you a BOTTLE
> of diet cola and a glass.
> That way you can be certain you are not drinking down a lot of unwanted
> carbs.

Not likely they'd have that. Most places have fountain drinks.

--
See my webpage:

Freckles 02-02-2006 12:15 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Freckles" > wrote in message
>
>> Next time, if there is a next time, ask the waitress to bring you a
>> BOTTLE
>> of diet cola and a glass.
>> That way you can be certain you are not drinking down a lot of unwanted
>> carbs.

> Not likely they'd have that. Most places have fountain drinks.

Order what you want in either a bottle or a can. If all they have is
fountain drinks, then order coffee, tea, plain water or nothing.

Of course many, maybe even most of us of age, would order wine or beer with
our meal when we dine out.

Chris Malcolm 02-02-2006 01:06 PM

Cola or diet cola?

In alt.support.diabetes Larry Dow > wrote:
> Ma?k > wrote in
> :

>>>But, to answer your question, I would think that if you could
>>>prove that they gave you the wrong thing, they would be liable.
>>>
>>>Larry

>> good proving a regular soda served by mistake harmed you enough
>> to cause damage and entitle you to compensation. if I get wind
>> of where it makes trial, I speak on behalf of the waitress.
>>
>> damn frivolous law suits.
>>

> I have to agree with you. I didn't mean to imply that simply
> having a high blood glucose would be cause for a suit. I just
> meant that if something very serious occurred, the restaurant
> would probably be liable. The chances of that happening are
> pretty slim, but you never know. Try proving that you were given
> the wrong thing. I don't think you could do it. It's always
> better to pay attention and watch out for yourself. After a sip
> of soft drink, if you think it's not the right thing, ask for a
> new one. I was just giving a quick, simple answer to the question.
> That was "Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my
> health was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as
> ordered?" If there was damage, the restaurant probably would be
> responsible. Didn't mean to upset anybody.

You can't tell the difference? Before I knew I was a diabetic, I liked
regular coke. Once I started drinking a can I'd just bought and it
tasted very weird. After a few more sips I decided it was possible
dangerously contaminated and carefully poured the rest away to see if
anything came out like a dead beetle. I then started reading the can
to find out who to write my complaint to. That's when I realised I'd
been given a can of diet coke by mistake.

I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really revolting, but I'm
not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several people who
prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been bought a coke
in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the kind they'd
asked for.

--
Chris Malcolm +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
[

Nico Kadel-Garcia 02-02-2006 03:06 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Larry Dow wrote:

> I don't think it is very likely that higher blood glucose readings
> in the morning have anything to do with what you ate for dinner
> the night before. Our diabetes educator and diabetes nurse say
> that, essentially, anything over 3 - 4 hours can be considered a
> fasting blood glucose level.

If they said that, then they need to go back to school and get off the
carb-counting kick. Seriously.

Fat content, in particular, can last much longer than that. Pizza is the
deadly one for me.

Richard Evans 02-02-2006 05:10 PM

Cola or diet cola?

(Gordon Burditt) wrote:

>I was given the suggestion that eating an evening snack would make
>my morning blood glucose *LOWER*. I didn't believe it, but I tried
>it anyway. And it seems to work, by maybe 10-15 mg/dL.

My experience is just the opposite: Anything with carbs after about
8:00 pm and my morning numbers are substantially *HIGHER*.

RK 02-02-2006 05:19 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Larry Dow" > wrote in message
.142...
| "peanutjake" > wrote in
| s.com:
|
| > Last night I ordered a diet cola in a restaurant.
| > The rest of my meal was zero carbs.

ok, but there really is no such thing as "zero carbs"

| > The next morning my fasting reading was 30 points higher than
| > usual.

You're lucky.. that "might" be a tad bit of dawn phenomenon but
really doubtful, a 30mg rise isn't "that" much -- could be even within
meter variance.

| > I am beginning to think that the waitress served me a regular
| > cola.

You can't taste the difference?

| > This is my question.
| > Is the restaurant or waitress legally responsible if my health
| > was damaged by failing to serve me a diet cola as ordered?

Are you legally responsible for yourself? You are the one that
drank the coke. Diet coke and Coke have different tastes.. I'm
sure if you ordered a Budweiser and they brought you out a Miller
you would know the difference.

So, unless you can prove long term damage that one drink has
made upon you.. then nope.

I'm with Mack though.. Let me know when the law suit is -- I'll
be there for the waitress and resturant. -- Sorry.. to me this is
just making up excuses.. with DM, sometimes it's our fault, sometimes
it's just mother nature.. but never anyone elses. (Unless you're a child)

--
----
RK - Animas IR1250 pumper

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 05:34 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Freckles" > wrote in message

> Order what you want in either a bottle or a can. If all they have is
> fountain drinks, then order coffee, tea, plain water or nothing.
>
> Of course many, maybe even most of us of age, would order wine or beer

with
> our meal when we dine out.

I don't know of any restaurants here that serve things in bottles or cans.
I remember one deli in CA and some pizza places in NY, but not here. I
always order Diet Coke. I've been ordering diet drinks since they first
came out with them. Can't stand regular drinks. Never could. I can tell
by the first sip if I've gotten the wrong thing. This happened to me only
once since I've had diabetes. I was starving and at the time was taking
pills that had to be taken prior to eating. I took the pills with the soda
and immediately noticed that it was wrong. Alas, instead of taking a small
sip as I usually would, I guzzled down a large swig because I was very
thirst. And indeed, my BG following the meal of soup and salad was a bit
higher than usual.

I do not like to order tea in a restaurant unless it is one that specializes
in tea. Too many times I've gotten a pot of water that wasn't really hot
enough to make tea. And sometimes I also get an inferior tea bag. Iced tea
can be problematic. In sometimes comes sweetened and is not available
unsweetened. I think this is more common in some parts of the country/world
than others. And even if it's not sweetened there is no guarantee that it
is fresh. I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of cleaning out
the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea to it.
Often, mold would form in there. I don't drink coffee much at all any more.
I used to when I smoked. It went well with cigarettes. As such, I want to
smoke when I have it. So I don't have it. I don't care much for water
either unless it is good bottled water. All too often the stuff from the
tap tastes awful!

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 06:02 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Chris Malcolm" > wrote in message

> You can't tell the difference? Before I knew I was a diabetic, I liked
> regular coke. Once I started drinking a can I'd just bought and it
> tasted very weird. After a few more sips I decided it was possible
> dangerously contaminated and carefully poured the rest away to see if
> anything came out like a dead beetle. I then started reading the can
> to find out who to write my complaint to. That's when I realised I'd
> been given a can of diet coke by mistake.

I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years prior
to diabetes going out with a friend to a big food festival. We had walked
there since her house was less than a mile a away and there was a lack of
parking there. No problems walking there. But we were there for several
hours and the temperature had grown very hot. By the time we got back, we
were overheated and thirsty. She offered me a drink and it turned out to be
a very small glass of regular Coke with lots of ice in it. Foolishly I took
a big drink of it, thinking that anyone who knew me as well as she did
wouldn't dare offer me a regular soda. But she said it was all that she had
and she figured I'd drink it since I was so thirsty. All it did was make me
more thirsty to the point where I had to leave right away. I then drove to
the nearest store and bought a bottle of diet soda. Now I never leave the
house without a drink. Might be only a large bottle of water, but if I'm
out for any length of time, I also take a cooler with diet soda.

> I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really revolting, but I'm
> not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several people who
> prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been bought a coke
> in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the kind they'd
> asked for.

It took me a while to adjust to Diet Coke. My preferred drink was Tab. I
loved that bitter aftertaste! But it contained Saccharine and I was told to
avoid it while pregnant. So I had to wean myself from it, allowing myself
one in the morning for about a week and then switching to the Diet Coke in
the morning. There were other diet drinks I liked, so I had those
throughout the day since I was also limited as to the amount of caffeine I
was allowed.

As soon as I had the baby, I went back to the Tab. But then I moved to CA
and couldn't find any cans of Tab. Only the 2 liter bottles. I don't like
those because they don't fit in the fridge and they tend to go flat very
quickly. So I made the switch to Diet Coke and eventually go used to it.
Then when I moved again and found Tab, I discovered that I no longer liked
it. I also discovered that they changed the formula and the very reason I
liked it (bitter aftertaste) was gone!

Now Diet Pepsi? Yuck, noooooooo! That stuff is just plain nasty! Waaaay
too sweet for my tastes.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 06:05 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
> (Gordon Burditt) wrote:
>
> >I was given the suggestion that eating an evening snack would make
> >my morning blood glucose *LOWER*. I didn't believe it, but I tried
> >it anyway. And it seems to work, by maybe 10-15 mg/dL.

> My experience is just the opposite: Anything with carbs after about
> 8:00 pm and my morning numbers are substantially *HIGHER*.

I have to have a bedtime snack. I usually eat it around 11:00 p.m.,
sometimes later if I had a late dinner, or if for some reason my numbers are
too high. I'm not normally in bed until somewhere around 1-3:00 a.m. I
have to eat about 30g of carb and an ounce of protein. If I eat less than
that, my BG will be too high in the morning.

--
See my webpage:

bj 02-02-2006 06:16 PM

Cola or diet cola?

I carry a bottle of urine glucose test strips to test fountain soda.
Even if I get it at a self-serve fountain or I can see it being dispensed.
These strips are cheap (though I do replace the bottle after about 6
months). And they won't work in all countries -- some places use a different
form of sugar. But they do work just fine in the USA for Coke & Pepsi.
bj

bj 02-02-2006 06:24 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> You can't tell the difference?

> I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference.

'cuz they just can't.
People's taste buds do differ.
Some people don't even like chocolate -- I can't fathom it, but I can accept
it.
bj

Donna in Texas 02-02-2006 06:39 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Julia wrote:
> I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
> dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of cleaning
> out
> the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea to
> it.
> Often, mold would form in there.

Oh no! I'm a big tea drinker [unsweetened, all my life] and I'll never
look at a nice cold glass of restaurant iced tea the same! The horror!
The desecration! 8-/

Donna

Nico Kadel-Garcia 02-02-2006 06:47 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
> regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years

May I suggest an experiement? Leave yourself some calores at snack time, and
set up 4 small glasses of soda, such as Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Pepsi, and
Diet Pepsi. Then spend some time sipping each, comparing and savoring the
difference. Notice the texture on your teeth, how it *feels* in your mouth,
and especially the sensation at your gumlines.

Then leave the room, have someone refill the glasses and shuffle them
around. Then try it again. I can pretty much guarantee you will be able to
tell the difference.

Nicky 02-02-2006 06:59 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"bj" > wrote in message
>I carry a bottle of urine glucose test strips to test fountain soda.
> Even if I get it at a self-serve fountain or I can see it being dispensed.
> These strips are cheap (though I do replace the bottle after about 6
> months). And they won't work in all countries -- some places use a
> different form of sugar. But they do work just fine in the USA for Coke &
> Pepsi.

Works in the UK too.

Nicky.

--
A1c 10.5/5.4/<6 T2 DX 05/2004
1g Metformin, 100ug Thyroxine

JHA 02-02-2006 07:49 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

> I do not like to order tea in a restaurant unless it is one that specializes
> in tea. Too many times I've gotten a pot of water that wasn't really hot
> enough to make tea. And sometimes I also get an inferior tea bag. Iced tea
> can be problematic. In sometimes comes sweetened and is not available
> unsweetened. I think this is more common in some parts of the country/world
> than others. And even if it's not sweetened there is no guarantee that it
> is fresh. I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
> dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of cleaning out
> the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea to it.
> Often, mold would form in there. I don't drink coffee much at all any more.
> I used to when I smoked. It went well with cigarettes. As such, I want to
> smoke when I have it. So I don't have it. I don't care much for water
> either unless it is good bottled water. All too often the stuff from the
> tap tastes awful!

The Brits do a much better job with coffee than we Merkins do with tea!

I drink a LOT of ice tea. (I once heard a server at a place I eat at
frequently go into the kitchen and say ("The ice tea guy's here.)
THe stuff some places serve as ice tea is not recognizable as any form
of tea at all. (Some of the places they use a concentrate: the result
tastes an awful lot like ice tea that's been sitting around for a few
days. Even the powdered mix is not as bad as the concentrate.)

As far as "unsweetened"--I once saw a nutrition label on the side of a
fountain machine that dispensed "unsweetened" Lipton* "ice tea." The
first two ingredients were water and HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP!!!!!!

*Some places have Lipton ice tea that's really ice tea, and there's
nothing wrong with that stuff.

JHA 02-02-2006 07:52 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>>I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
>>regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years

> May I suggest an experiement? Leave yourself some calores at snack time, and
> set up 4 small glasses of soda, such as Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Pepsi, and
> Diet Pepsi. Then spend some time sipping each, comparing and savoring the
> difference. Notice the texture on your teeth, how it *feels* in your mouth,
> and especially the sensation at your gumlines.
>
> Then leave the room, have someone refill the glasses and shuffle them
> around. Then try it again. I can pretty much guarantee you will be able to
> tell the difference.

A friend of mine once set up a blind cola taste test.

On the first round, people had no trouble distinguishing Coke, Pepsi,
and the generic cola (all with sugar). After a couple more rounds,
nobody could tell anything from anything.

Nico Kadel-Garcia 02-02-2006 08:20 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"JHA" > wrote in message

> A friend of mine once set up a blind cola taste test.
>
> On the first round, people had no trouble distinguishing Coke, Pepsi, and
> the generic cola (all with sugar). After a couple more rounds, nobody
> could tell anything from anything.

Huh. Interesting. I wonder if everyone's palates were saturated with the
acidic stickiness of cola?

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 08:26 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"bj" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> >> You can't tell the difference?

> > I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference.

> 'cuz they just can't.
> People's taste buds do differ.
> Some people don't even like chocolate -- I can't fathom it, but I can

accept
> it.

I have a nephew who hates chocolate. And I know many people who can't tell
the difference between cheap chocolate and expensive chocolate. *shudder*

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 08:27 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I don't see how anyone can not tell the difference. I've never liked
> > regular soda or any other really sweet drinks. I remember some years

> May I suggest an experiement? Leave yourself some calores at snack time,

and
> set up 4 small glasses of soda, such as Diet Coke, Coke Classic, Pepsi,

and
> Diet Pepsi. Then spend some time sipping each, comparing and savoring the
> difference. Notice the texture on your teeth, how it *feels* in your

mouth,
> and especially the sensation at your gumlines.
>
> Then leave the room, have someone refill the glasses and shuffle them
> around. Then try it again. I can pretty much guarantee you will be able to
> tell the difference.

Yep, I've done that before. Not for many years. But as kids, this was the
sort of thing we'd do for fun when we got really bored. I could tell the
difference immediately.

--
See my webpage:

batezee 02-02-2006 10:14 PM

Cola or diet cola?

previous repetitive OP post crap snipped
> Are you legally responsible for yourself? You are the one that
> drank the coke. Diet coke and Coke have different tastes.. I'm
> sure if you ordered a Budweiser and they brought you out a Miller
> you would know the difference.
>
> So, unless you can prove long term damage that one drink has
> made upon you.. then nope.
>
> I'm with Mack though.. Let me know when the law suit is -- I'll
> be there for the waitress and resturant. -- Sorry.. to me this is
> just making up excuses.. with DM, sometimes it's our fault, sometimes
> it's just mother nature.. but never anyone elses. (Unless you're a child)

Its a simple thing really

1)Grow up and take responsibility for your own actions
2) Ditto 1)

ad infinitum

--
David

"That Damn Butterfly"

jacquie[_1_] 02-02-2006 10:26 PM

Cola or diet cola?

When we lived in Florida we always asked for unsweetened tea...because if
you didn't you would usually get sweetened Tea...Those Southerners do love
their Sweet Tea:) I alsways ask if it is freshly brewed and not instant...I
hate instant tea. Speaking of Tea...I Love Twinnings Lady Grey Tea
Iced...Sometimes I will add a sweetener to it but it is a Great tasting
Tea:) Most the time when we go out to dinner I aske for Pelagrino sparkeling
water ...if they don't have that I just ask for Club Soda with a slice of
lemon and lime...very refreshing drink:)
jacquie

jacquie[_1_] 02-02-2006 10:31 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Donna, do you folks in Texas make Sun Tea? We do here in Az ...Now that is
great tasting tea:)
jacquie

Freckles 02-02-2006 11:00 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Freckles" > wrote in message
>
>> Order what you want in either a bottle or a can. If all they have is
>> fountain drinks, then order coffee, tea, plain water or nothing.
>>
>> Of course many, maybe even most of us of age, would order wine or beer

> with
>> our meal when we dine out.

> I don't know of any restaurants here that serve things in bottles or cans.
> I remember one deli in CA and some pizza places in NY, but not here. I
> always order Diet Coke. I've been ordering diet drinks since they first
> came out with them. Can't stand regular drinks. Never could. I can tell
> by the first sip if I've gotten the wrong thing. This happened to me only
> once since I've had diabetes. I was starving and at the time was taking
> pills that had to be taken prior to eating. I took the pills with the
> soda
> and immediately noticed that it was wrong. Alas, instead of taking a
> small
> sip as I usually would, I guzzled down a large swig because I was very
> thirst. And indeed, my BG following the meal of soup and salad was a bit
> higher than usual.
>
> I do not like to order tea in a restaurant unless it is one that
> specializes
> in tea. Too many times I've gotten a pot of water that wasn't really hot
> enough to make tea. And sometimes I also get an inferior tea bag. Iced
> tea
> can be problematic. In sometimes comes sweetened and is not available
> unsweetened. I think this is more common in some parts of the
> country/world
> than others. And even if it's not sweetened there is no guarantee that it
> is fresh. I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
> dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of cleaning
> out
> the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea to
> it.
> Often, mold would form in there. I don't drink coffee much at all any
> more.
> I used to when I smoked. It went well with cigarettes. As such, I want
> smoke when I have it. So I don't have it. I don't care much for water
> either unless it is good bottled water. All too often the stuff from the
> tap tastes awful!

Then I guess you will be having wine or beer with your meals?

Julie Bove[_1_] 02-02-2006 11:03 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"jacquie" > wrote in message
k.net...
> When we lived in Florida we always asked for unsweetened tea...because if
> you didn't you would usually get sweetened Tea...Those Southerners do love
> their Sweet Tea:) I alsways ask if it is freshly brewed and not

instant...I
> hate instant tea. Speaking of Tea...I Love Twinnings Lady Grey Tea
> Iced...Sometimes I will add a sweetener to it but it is a Great tasting
> Tea:) Most the time when we go out to dinner I aske for Pelagrino

sparkeling
> water ...if they don't have that I just ask for Club Soda with a slice of
> lemon and lime...very refreshing drink:)

Here, you can't get club soda unless the place has a bar.

--
See my webpage:

Alan S[_1_] 03-02-2006 03:45 AM

Cola or diet cola?

On 2 Feb 2006 12:06:58 GMT, Chris Malcolm
> wrote:

>I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really revolting, but I'm
>not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several people who
>prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been bought a coke
>in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the kind they'd
>asked for.

Diet coke gives me incredible gas - in both directions:-) I
drink a local diet cola called LA Ice.

They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
out here, implying that the taste is the same as the "real"
thing. Has anyone tried that?

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Nico Kadel-Garcia 03-02-2006 04:12 AM

Cola or diet cola?

jacquie wrote:
> Donna, do you folks in Texas make Sun Tea? We do here in Az ...Now
> that is great tasting tea:)
> jacquie
>

> "Donna in Texas" > wrote in message
> Julia wrote:
>> I used to work at a place that made instant tea in a huge metal
>> dispenser. The tea wasn't necessarily kept cold and instead of
>> cleaning out
>> the dispenser each time they refilled it, they merely added more tea
>> to it.
>> Often, mold would form in there.

> Oh no! I'm a big tea drinker [unsweetened, all my life] and I'll
> never look at a nice cold glass of restaurant iced tea the same! The
> horror! The desecration! 8-/

Could be worse. At one all-night joint in Sullivan, MO, they served my wife
the worst coffee she ever tasted. I tasted it after a while, and said
"that's hot iced tea". Some idiot had poured the iced tea mix in the coffee
maker.

Then they tried to charge us for it. I kept wishing they had tried on the
large table that filled up after we walked in. It was the entire local
Sheriff's department: they had guns. Do not serve bad coffee to a night
shift cop at 3 AM when he has a gun....

Ozgirl 03-02-2006 07:54 AM

Cola or diet cola?

Alan S wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2006 12:06:58 GMT, Chris Malcolm
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really

revolting, but I'm
>>not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several

people who
>>prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been

bought a coke
>>in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the

kind they'd
>>asked for.

> Diet coke gives me incredible gas - in both directions:-)

> drink a local diet cola called LA Ice.
>
> They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
> out here, implying that the taste is the same as the

"real"
> thing. Has anyone tried that?

I have. I like it. I noticed a lot of kids walking around
with it, good advertising? Lol.

Julie Bove[_1_] 03-02-2006 08:45 AM

Cola or diet cola?

"Freckles" > wrote in message

> Then I guess you will be having wine or beer with your meals?

Nope. Fatty liver. No alcohol. I have no problems ordering Diet Coke. If
they get it wrong (and it has only happened once since diagnosis), I send it
back. I realize that mistakes can be made. My daughter and I also have
food allergies. At this point, I'm more concerned with accidentally
ingesting something I'm allergic to than taking a swig of regular soda. The
regular soda might cause an unwanted spike, but it would likely be for only
a few hours. But a bit of egg in my food will make me VERY ill for two days
at least.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove[_1_] 03-02-2006 08:49 AM

Cola or diet cola?

"Alan S" > wrote in message

<snip>

> They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
> out here, implying that the taste is the same as the "real"
> thing. Has anyone tried that?

Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons. I find
that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays with you. It's
not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old Tab. It's just bad. I
bought a bottle and managed to take a few swigs on the way home because I
was very thirsty. I wouldn't have bought it but it was the only diet drink
in the machine. Angela loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all
diet drinks. She hates seltzer though.

--
See my webpage:

Alan S[_1_] 03-02-2006 01:54 PM

Cola or diet cola?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:49:21 GMT, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .

><snip>
>
>> They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
>> out here, implying that the taste is the same as the "real"
>> thing. Has anyone tried that?

>Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons. I find
>that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays with you. It's
>not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old Tab. It's just bad. I
>bought a bottle and managed to take a few swigs on the way home because I
>was very thirsty. I wouldn't have bought it but it was the only diet drink
>in the machine. Angela loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all
>diet drinks. She hates seltzer though.

Thanks Julie. Of course, none of our sugared drinks taste
the same as yours, so it's possible our diet ones may be
different too.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Alan S[_1_] 03-02-2006 02:03 PM

Cola or diet cola?

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 06:54:19 GMT, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Alan S wrote:
>> On 2 Feb 2006 12:06:58 GMT, Chris Malcolm
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm probably unusual in finding diet coke really

>revolting, but I'm
>>>not unusual in finding it tastes different. I know several

>people who
>>>prefer the taste, and I've often seen people who've been

>bought a coke
>>>in a glass by someone else complain that it wasn't the

>kind they'd
>>>asked for.

>> Diet coke gives me incredible gas - in both directions:-)

>> drink a local diet cola called LA Ice.
>>
>> They've just started marketing something called Coke Zero
>> out here, implying that the taste is the same as the

>"real"
>> thing. Has anyone tried that?

>I have. I like it. I noticed a lot of kids walking around
>with it, good advertising? Lol.

As long as they weren't walking on top of moving buses..
Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
d&e, metformin 2x500mg

Nico Kadel-Garcia 03-02-2006 02:27 PM

Cola or diet cola?

Alan S wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:49:21 GMT, "Julie Bove"

>> Well, in my opinion, they're both nasty, but for different reasons.
>> I find that the Coke Zero has a horrible bitter taste that stays
>> with you. It's not at all like the pleasant bitterness of the old
>> Tab. It's just bad. I bought a bottle and managed to take a few
>> swigs on the way home because I was very thirsty. I wouldn't have
>> bought it but it was the only diet drink in the machine. Angela
>> loves the stuff. But then, she seems to love all diet drinks. She
>> hates seltzer though.

> Thanks Julie. Of course, none of our sugared drinks taste
> the same as yours, so it's possible our diet ones may be
> different too.

Cyclamates. I miss the cyclamates in old Tab.

Donna in Texas 03-02-2006 04:23 PM

Cola or diet cola?

jacquie wrote:
> Donna, do you folks in Texas make Sun Tea? We do here in Az ...Now that is
> great tasting tea:)

My mother used to make it, but I haven't tried it in years. It's raining
right now, but when the sun comes out I think I'll try making some. Thanks
for jogging my memory.

Regarding the Diet Cola discussion, have any of you tried this Diet Coke
with Lemon or Lime or Cherry? To me it tastes like floor cleaner. (I'm
serious---like floor cleaner.)

I have tried the Coke Zero but couldn't even drink it beyond a few sips. I
also don't care for the new Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda. I think those
who like the regular sugared Coke might like it, but I'm so used to diet
drinks that the Diet Coke with Splenda tastes too sweet. However, I like
the Diet 7-Up with Splenda.

Like some others of you, I used to drink Tab. I think I'd only be able to
get it here in the large bottles, but I think I'll try it again. I also
used to like Fresca but haven't drunk that in years. Maybe I'll try that
again.

Back in the mid-60s there was a drink that (I think) was no calorie and it
tasted somewhat like weak ale. It had no alcohol and was just sold on the
cola shelves. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of? I think it may
have even had the word "ale" somehow incorporated in the name.

Donna

Julie Bove[_1_] 03-02-2006 05:37 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" > wrote in message

> Cyclamates. I miss the cyclamates in old Tab.

Me too! I loved cylamates!

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove[_1_] 03-02-2006 05:43 PM

Cola or diet cola?

"Donna in Texas" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Regarding the Diet Cola discussion, have any of you tried this Diet Coke
> with Lemon or Lime or Cherry? To me it tastes like floor cleaner. (I'm
> serious---like floor cleaner.)

The lemon seems to no longer be available here. It was okay. The cherry is
good, but too sweet. I can drink one can on occasion, but then I don't want
any more for a while. Love the lime! It's what I usually drink.

> I have tried the Coke Zero but couldn't even drink it beyond a few sips.

> also don't care for the new Diet Coke sweetened with Splenda. I think

those
> who like the regular sugared Coke might like it, but I'm so used to diet
> drinks that the Diet Coke with Splenda tastes too sweet. However, I like
> the Diet 7-Up with Splenda.

I haven't tried the 7-Up with Splenda but I hate the Diet Coke with it.
Daughter likes it though.

> Like some others of you, I used to drink Tab. I think I'd only be able to
> get it here in the large bottles, but I think I'll try it again. I also
> used to like Fresca but haven't drunk that in years. Maybe I'll try that
> again.

I don't like Fresca the way I used to. The new cherry kind is good, but
again too sweet and I can't drink much of it.

> Back in the mid-60s there was a drink that (I think) was no calorie and it
> tasted somewhat like weak ale. It had no alcohol and was just sold on the
> cola shelves. Does anyone remember what I'm thinking of? I think it may
> have even had the word "ale" somehow incorporated in the name.

Not sure what that would have been.

--
See my webpage: