Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need recommendations for T2 Emergency Pantry

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

For the last 10 days we have been locked inside out house
with "extremely hazardous" air from the Rim Fire near Yosemite.
Fortunately, I finally got my wish and the wind reversed and
all the smoke is blowing down into Los Angeles, WHERE THEY
CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

I'm not really sure you can find a place in CA where the air isn't terrible
right now. I'm in the SJ Valley and the air quality is mostly keeping me
inside the past couple of days too. I have breathing problems due to COPD
and it's not fun. I have many canned goods in the garage. I always have
tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, green beans, and things like that to
tide us over for several days if need be.

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/11/2013 03:55 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

For the last 10 days we have been locked inside out house
with "extremely hazardous" air from the Rim Fire near Yosemite.
Fortunately, I finally got my wish and the wind reversed and
all the smoke is blowing down into Los Angeles, WHERE THEY
CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

I'm not really sure you can find a place in CA where the air isn't
terrible right now. I'm in the SJ Valley and the air quality is mostly
keeping me inside the past couple of days too. I have breathing problems
due to COPD and it's not fun. I have many canned goods in the garage. I
always have tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, green beans, and things
like that to tide us over for several days if need be.

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

This air cleaner (two of them) saved our butts:
http://austinair.com/products/healthmate-series-2/

But they are expensive.

Tuna makes me hurl (literally). Neither one of us can
stand canned salmon. Hmmmm. Canned green beans
and canned chicken.

Thank you!

-T

I'm a SPAM lover too. :-)

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

For the last 10 days we have been locked inside out house
with "extremely hazardous" air from the Rim Fire near Yosemite.
Fortunately, I finally got my wish and the wind reversed and
all the smoke is blowing down into Los Angeles, WHERE THEY
CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

I'm not really sure you can find a place in CA where the air isn't
terrible right now. I'm in the SJ Valley and the air quality is mostly
keeping me inside the past couple of days too. I have breathing problems
due to COPD and it's not fun. I have many canned goods in the garage. I
always have tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, green beans, and things
like that to tide us over for several days if need be.

Yep. If for some reason, we were stuck in the house for a month, we could
live off of my stockpile although I am sure we would get sick of the food
after a week or two.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message

Hi Cheri,

This air cleaner (two of them) saved our butts:
http://austinair.com/products/healthmate-series-2/

But they are expensive.

Tuna makes me hurl (literally). Neither one of us can
stand canned salmon. Hmmmm. Canned green beans
and canned chicken.

Thank you!

There are plenty of other canned meats. Like ham, beef and turkey. Can get
them at Costco for cheap. Then there is stuff like Spam if you are so
inclined. I'm not but my husband actually likes it.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-classic
Ingredients

Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch,
Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 oz (56g)

Servings: 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 180 % Daily Value
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Cholesterol 40mg 15%
Sodium 790mg 33%
Total Carbohydrates 1g 6%
Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 0g Protein 7g
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This product is GLUTEN FREE.

What? You think I don't know all of that? I love hot dogs too.

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 06:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message

Hi Cheri,

This air cleaner (two of them) saved our butts:
http://austinair.com/products/healthmate-series-2/

But they are expensive.

Tuna makes me hurl (literally). Neither one of us can
stand canned salmon. Hmmmm. Canned green beans
and canned chicken.

Thank you!

There are plenty of other canned meats. Like ham, beef and turkey. Can
get them at Costco for cheap. Then there is stuff like Spam if you are so
inclined. I'm not but my husband actually likes it.

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but I do
like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle Whip. :-)

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

:-)

Hot dogs are food?

Love the Evergood brand, just cold. :-)

Cheri

Old 12-09-2013, 09:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Cheri" wrote:

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but I do
like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle Whip. :-)

I love Spam sandwiches on good white bread with yellow mustard. *sigh*
Also broiled with pineapple slices. *sigh*

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:
On 09/11/2013 10:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
What? You think I don't know all of that? I love hot dogs too.

Cheri

:-)

Hot dogs are food?

Oh, yes! Grilled on a griddle and served with brown mustard. YUM!

Gotta love those back-to-the-fifties foods.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 13-09-2013, 02:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Cheri" wrote:

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but I
do
like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle Whip. :-)

I love Spam sandwiches on good white bread with yellow mustard. *sigh*
Also broiled with pineapple slices. *sigh*

PP

Oh yeah, huge sigh here too. :-)

Cheri

Old 13-09-2013, 03:12 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but I
do like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle Whip.
:-)

I should have thought of that tonight. I was going to make ham steaks and
couldn't find them. Then I found out that he ate them! I had more in the
freezer so did those. The Spam would have been quicker but I wasn't
thinking very well. Was trying to clean up the spilled nails and screws in
the garage when he came in. And I either have a fever or it's just the heat
so I was sweating to death.

Old 13-09-2013, 03:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message

Love the Evergood brand, just cold. :-)

I buy some uncured beef ones once or twice a year. Husband loves them. No
nitrates and I think they are organic too.

Old 13-09-2013, 03:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but I
do like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle Whip.
:-)

I should have thought of that tonight. I was going to make ham steaks and
couldn't find them. Then I found out that he ate them! I had more in the
freezer so did those. The Spam would have been quicker but I wasn't
thinking very well. Was trying to clean up the spilled nails and screws
in the garage when he came in. And I either have a fever or it's just the
heat so I was sweating to death.

Is the humidity high in your area?

Cheri

Old 13-09-2013, 10:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Cheri" wrote in message

I love Spam, hubby hates it. I don't eat it as much as I'd like to, but
I do like to fry it once in awhile and top it with a bit of Miracle
Whip. :-)

I should have thought of that tonight. I was going to make ham steaks
and couldn't find them. Then I found out that he ate them! I had more
in the freezer so did those. The Spam would have been quicker but I
wasn't thinking very well. Was trying to clean up the spilled nails and
screws in the garage when he came in. And I either have a fever or it's
just the heat so I was sweating to death.

Is the humidity high in your area?

I didn't check it but it doesn't feel muggy. The odd thing about our
weather is that we normally have high humidity except when the temp. goes
up. We might have 2 muggy feeling days a year. Sometimes 3. It's actually
pretty dry.

Now that I think about it, I think this illness started prior. It began
with foot and leg cramps and I couldn't figure out why I had them. My big
toes were pointing upwards and my calves were tight all the time. No amount
of stretching would help. I finally had to use my electric massager to get
relief so I could sleep. The tight muscles were so bad that I had much more
trouble walking than usual. I have finally gotten stronger to the point
where I can walk from the dance studio to the grocery store. To do this I
pass by 7 small businesses. One is a Subway sandwich shop and most of these
places are about that size to slightly bigger. So not a long walk. Used to
be that I had to stop and rest 2-3 times. But when I tried to make the walk
on Monday, I had to pretty much stop and rest about every 10 steps. My legs
were just weak! Even sitting caused pain.

After maybe 2-3 days of this, the pain worked its way upwards. I perhaps
wrongly assumed this was a Fibromyalgia flare. Often with those the pain
starts either at the bottom and works its way up or the opposite. This time
I had bad pain in my hip sockets and my thighs ached both front and back.
But not just the muscles. Like the whole entire area.

Also I had a weird headache that surrounded my right eye, went into my neck
and down into the right shoulder. But... I mostly would wake up with this
and as the day went on, it receded.

I am pretty sure now that I did have a fever. I went from sweating to
chilling.

Right now I am very hungry but afraid to eat. I had my normal toast for
breakfast. For dinner I only had a small hunk of bread. We got a free
little demi loaf from Target. Later, I had a small dish of applesauce and
an organic lollipop because my throat was sore.

I think I got dehydrated as well. My fingertips seemed dry and looked very
wrinkled. That's not normal for me.

BG was down to 127 before dinner but shot up to 220 after, probably from
eating pretty much all carbs.

Am going to go make some white rice now and drink a ton of water. My mom
told me to go to the walk in clinic earlier but I felt too awful to even
drive. Plus I feared that I would continue to throw up. *sigh*

Old 13-09-2013, 07:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
: In article , Todd
: wrote:
: On 09/11/2013 10:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
: What? You think I don't know all of that? I love hot dogs too.
: Cheri
: :-)
:
: Hot dogs are food?

: Oh, yes! Grilled on a griddle and served with brown mustard. YUM!

: Gotta love those back-to-the-fifties foods.

: PP
: --
: "What you fail to understand is that criticising established authority by means
: of argument and evidence is a crucial aspect of how science works."
: - Chris Malcolm

I love good kosher hot dogs cooked in saurkraut with added caraway seeds.
Eaten on a plate with knife adn fork, no bun, and some mustard , if you
like(deli dtyle), they are terrific and make a whole meal.

Wendy