Diabetic (alt.food.diabetic) This group is for the discussion of controlled-portion eating plans for the dietary management of diabetes.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2004, 02:59 AM
Beirader
 
Posts: n/a
Default Roast Suckling Pig



For every Samhain celebration we have always served two roast suckling pigs.
Due to the timeframe of this years Samhain I have to purchase them two
days ahead. I will go to the farm and pick them up freshly butchered on
Thursday.
Do you think they will keep well until Sunday? I will salt and pepper
them well before storing. The snouts will all have been cleaned and
prepped for roasting. Good thing I have two large ovens.
I will be making my potatoes the day ahead and all my vegies will be
prepped. All the many condiments will be in the fridge. Have to get
the apples if it ever stops raining.
Have to get the fresh oysters and shrimp on Saturday too. What a hectic
few days coming up.
All the to be followed by our Coven having an election day party where
we will serve corned beef and cabbage. The beef is from Neimans.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 27-10-2004, 04:52 PM
None Given
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Beirader" wrote in message
...
Do you think they will keep well until Sunday? I will salt and pepper
them well before storing. The snouts will all have been cleaned and
prepped for roasting. Good thing I have two large ovens.



Keep them iced down and wrapped up tight in the fridge or a large ice chest
and they should be all right. Or you could go ahead and cook them and carve
them if there isn't some kind of ceremony that goes with that part of the
prep. I don't know much about pagan holidays but I have cooked fresh feral
porkers, just the meat, not the whole pig. We've only butchered a couple of
them but they were like ~200 lbs each so we put most of the meat in the
freezer.


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 01:26 AM
Beirader
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thanks,
Somehow my messages keep going to this group of ill people. It is meant
to go to the gourmand cooking sites.
Sorry.


None Given wrote:
"Beirader" wrote in message
...

Do you think they will keep well until Sunday? I will salt and pepper
them well before storing. The snouts will all have been cleaned and
prepped for roasting. Good thing I have two large ovens.




Keep them iced down and wrapped up tight in the fridge or a large ice chest
and they should be all right. Or you could go ahead and cook them and carve
them if there isn't some kind of ceremony that goes with that part of the
prep. I don't know much about pagan holidays but I have cooked fresh feral
porkers, just the meat, not the whole pig. We've only butchered a couple of
them but they were like ~200 lbs each so we put most of the meat in the
freezer.


  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Alan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:26:52 -0700, Beirader wrote:

Thanks,
Somehow my messages keep going to this group of ill people. It is meant
to go to the gourmand cooking sites.
Sorry.


No problems troll. Oddly enough, Roast Pork in moderation is excellent.
I realise that was purely accidental on your part; not the posting, just
the excellence.


Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Beirader
 
Posts: n/a
Default

You are a fool and couldn't even make it in this world as a troll. In
my country you would be found in the woods under rocks and creals eating
slime and slugs. That is what you Assies do isn't it?
Do come to Norway we don't like your kind and feed those like you to the
trolls.
Have a great Samhain

Alan wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:26:52 -0700, Beirader wrote:


Thanks,
Somehow my messages keep going to this group of ill people. It is meant
to go to the gourmand cooking sites.
Sorry.



No problems troll. Oddly enough, Roast Pork in moderation is excellent.
I realise that was purely accidental on your part; not the posting, just
the excellence.


Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.



  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 03:00 AM
Alan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:14:19 -0700, Beirader wrote:

You are a fool


I know, I know...but I am trying to lower myself to your standard.

and couldn't even make it in this world as a troll. In
my country you would be found in the woods under rocks and creals eating
slime and slugs. That is what you Assies do isn't it?


And very tasty too. Lots of protein, no carbs.

Do come to Norway we don't like your kind and feed those like you to the
trolls.


:-))

Have a great Samhain


I must thank you for that; I always enjoy adding to my knowledge and I
wouldn't have learnt this without your motivation:
http://www.celticspirit.org/samhain.htm
Samhain marks one of the two great doorways of the Celtic year, for the
Celts divided the year into two seasons: the light and the dark, at
Beltane on May 1st and Samhain on November 1st. Some believe that
Samhain was the more important festival, marking the beginning of a
whole new cycle, just as the Celtic day began at night. For it was
understood that in dark silence comes whisperings of new beginnings, the
stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
of course, as Halloween.

Even trolls can be useful:-)


Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 03:26 PM
None Given
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"Alan" wrote in message
...
stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
of course, as Halloween.

Even trolls can be useful:-)



I wonder if Samhain is celebrated in the fall down under or in the spring.
I wonder if Yule is celebrated in December like Christmas is or if aussies
wait for the wintertime.


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Alan
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:26:06 -0500, "None Given"
wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .
stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
of course, as Halloween.

Even trolls can be useful:-)



I wonder if Samhain is celebrated in the fall down under or in the spring.
I wonder if Yule is celebrated in December like Christmas is or if aussies
wait for the wintertime.


No need to wonder. If anyone does celebrate those particular festivals
here, they are very discreet about it.

Our kids go out "trick or treating" now because of the influence of TV;
but we never did. Even Hallowe'en to us is an imported American holiday
(yes, I know the roots, but it wasn't part of our culture).

We do have "Christmas in July" parties, but they are just for fun with
no spiritual significance.




Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.
--
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roast Suckling Pig Cuban Style Cuban Chef Recipes 0 22-11-2011 03:03 AM
[Fwd: Roast Suckling Pig] Beirader Historic 1 28-10-2004 04:31 AM
Roast Suckling Pig Beirader General Cooking 3 27-10-2004 05:57 PM
Roast Suckling Pig Beirader General Cooking 4 21-10-2004 05:44 PM
Suckling Pig L. Cook Barbecue 7 12-07-2004 10:52 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017