FoodBanter.com

-   -   Roast Suckling Pig (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/41085-roast-suckling-pig.html)

Beirader 27-10-2004 02:59 AM

Roast Suckling Pig

For every Samhain celebration we have always served two roast suckling pigs.
Due to the timeframe of this years Samhain I have to purchase them two
days ahead. I will go to the farm and pick them up freshly butchered on
Thursday.
Do you think they will keep well until Sunday? I will salt and pepper
them well before storing. The snouts will all have been cleaned and
prepped for roasting. Good thing I have two large ovens.
I will be making my potatoes the day ahead and all my vegies will be
prepped. All the many condiments will be in the fridge. Have to get
the apples if it ever stops raining.
Have to get the fresh oysters and shrimp on Saturday too. What a hectic
few days coming up.
All the to be followed by our Coven having an election day party where
we will serve corned beef and cabbage. The beef is from Neimans.

None Given 27-10-2004 04:52 PM

"Beirader" > wrote in message
> Do you think they will keep well until Sunday? I will salt and pepper
> them well before storing. The snouts will all have been cleaned and
> prepped for roasting. Good thing I have two large ovens.

Keep them iced down and wrapped up tight in the fridge or a large ice chest
and they should be all right. Or you could go ahead and cook them and carve
them if there isn't some kind of ceremony that goes with that part of the
prep. I don't know much about pagan holidays but I have cooked fresh feral
porkers, just the meat, not the whole pig. We've only butchered a couple of
them but they were like ~200 lbs each so we put most of the meat in the
freezer.

Beirader 28-10-2004 01:26 AM

Thanks,
Somehow my messages keep going to this group of ill people. It is meant
to go to the gourmand cooking sites.
Sorry.

Alan 28-10-2004 01:58 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 17:26:52 -0700, Beirader > wrote:

>Thanks,
>Somehow my messages keep going to this group of ill people. It is meant
>to go to the gourmand cooking sites.
>Sorry.

No problems troll. Oddly enough, Roast Pork in moderation is excellent.
I realise that was purely accidental on your part; not the posting, just
the excellence.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.

Beirader 28-10-2004 02:14 AM

You are a fool and couldn't even make it in this world as a troll. In
my country you would be found in the woods under rocks and creals eating
slime and slugs. That is what you Assies do isn't it?
Do come to Norway we don't like your kind and feed those like you to the
trolls.
Have a great Samhain

Alan 28-10-2004 03:00 AM

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:14:19 -0700, Beirader > wrote:

>You are a fool

I know, I know...but I am trying to lower myself to your standard.

>and couldn't even make it in this world as a troll. In
>my country you would be found in the woods under rocks and creals eating
>slime and slugs. That is what you Assies do isn't it?

And very tasty too. Lots of protein, no carbs.

>Do come to Norway we don't like your kind and feed those like you to the
>trolls.

:-))

>Have a great Samhain

I must thank you for that; I always enjoy adding to my knowledge and I
wouldn't have learnt this without your motivation:
http://www.celticspirit.org/samhain.htm
Samhain marks one of the two great doorways of the Celtic year, for the
Celts divided the year into two seasons: the light and the dark, at
Beltane on May 1st and Samhain on November 1st. Some believe that
Samhain was the more important festival, marking the beginning of a
whole new cycle, just as the Celtic day began at night. For it was
understood that in dark silence comes whisperings of new beginnings, the
stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
of course, as Halloween.

Even trolls can be useful:-)

None Given 28-10-2004 03:26 PM

"Alan" > wrote in message
> stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
> summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
> of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
> of course, as Halloween.
>
> Even trolls can be useful:-)

I wonder if Samhain is celebrated in the fall down under or in the spring.
I wonder if Yule is celebrated in December like Christmas is or if aussies
wait for the wintertime.

Alan 28-10-2004 09:14 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:26:06 -0500, "None Given"
> wrote:

>"Alan" > wrote in message
.. .
>> stirring of the seed below the ground. Whereas Beltane welcomes in the
>> summer with joyous celebrations at dawn, the most magically potent time
>> of this festival is November Eve, the night of October 31st, known today
>> of course, as Halloween.
>>
>> Even trolls can be useful:-)

>I wonder if Samhain is celebrated in the fall down under or in the spring.
>I wonder if Yule is celebrated in December like Christmas is or if aussies
>wait for the wintertime.

No need to wonder. If anyone does celebrate those particular festivals
here, they are very discreet about it.

Our kids go out "trick or treating" now because of the influence of TV;
but we never did. Even Hallowe'en to us is an imported American holiday
(yes, I know the roots, but it wasn't part of our culture).

We do have "Christmas in July" parties, but they are just for fun with
no spiritual significance.