L. Cook

Default Suckling Pig

I am anxious to try doing a suckling pig, probably Cuban style, in my
bbq/smoker and am wondering if anyone here has gone there? I have had it
before and it was excellent.

Tyler Hopper

"L. Cook" > wrote in message
news
> I am anxious to try doing a suckling pig, probably Cuban style, in my
> bbq/smoker and am wondering if anyone here has gone there? I have had it
> before and it was excellent.

I saw a show on TVFN a few weeks ago where they did a Cuban pig. The pig went
inside a box and the coals were loaded _above_ it. Kinda weird but it sure did
look good.

_________
ht_redneck

Tyler Hopper

"L. Cook" > wrote in message
news
> I am anxious to try doing a suckling pig, probably Cuban style, in my
> bbq/smoker and am wondering if anyone here has gone there? I have had it
> before and it was excellent.

I saw a show on TVFN a few weeks ago where they did a Cuban pig. The pig went
inside a box and the coals were loaded _above_ it. Kinda weird but it sure did
look good.

_________
ht_redneck

Dave Bugg

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> I saw a show on TVFN a few weeks ago where they did a Cuban pig. The
> pig went inside a box and the coals were loaded _above_ it. Kinda
> weird but it sure did look good.

Something like these?
http://www.lacajachina.com/shoppingcart.html

Tyler Hopper

"Dave Bugg" <deebuggatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
> Tyler Hopper wrote:
>
> > I saw a show on TVFN a few weeks ago where they did a Cuban pig. The
> > pig went inside a box and the coals were loaded _above_ it. Kinda
> > weird but it sure did look good.

> Something like these?
> http://www.lacajachina.com/shoppingcart.html

Exactly.

Now I'm not really sure it was a Cuban pig. It could've Puerto Rican. ;-)

Dave Bugg

Tyler Hopper wrote:

> Now I'm not really sure it was a Cuban pig. It could've Puerto Rican.
> ;-)

Or maybe Dominican Republic porcine.

L. Cook

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:34:37 GMT, "Tyler Hopper"
> > wrote:
>
> >Now I'm not really sure it was a Cuban pig. It could've Puerto Rican. ;-)

> Cuba's swine population was devastated by a cholera/swine fever
> epidemic in the 70's, and again in the 80's and it hasn't ever
> recovered. They import much of their pork from Canada and eastern
> Europe. It's a popular belief that the CIA purposely introduced
> the swine fever to Cuba as one of many covert bio-terrorism
> operations aimed at Cuba (<shrug> - Sounds plausible to me).
>
> Needless to say, they don't eat as much pork as all the recipes
> would have you believe. And that was probably an American pig on
> the show as it's illegal to import pigs, like cigars, from Cuba.
>
> If the US ever starts selling them pork, then you can bet the
> prices here will go up noticeably, especially in the South. Cuba
> can eat a lot of pork, but has been using mostly chicken.
>
> -sw (With my Cliff Clavens for the day)

I had it in Florida when my brother-in-law got married to a cuban girl. It
seems that roast suckling pig is a national dish in Cuba, but as for the
pig, I'm sure it was from a local farm. I've thought of raising a few pigs
myself, I have the barn space, but I guess I'm just too lazy. The recipe
was cuban style, that's all.

But it wasn't speaking spanish while it was laying there in the plate, I'll
tell you what!

L. Cook

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 20:34:37 GMT, "Tyler Hopper"
> > wrote:
>
> >Now I'm not really sure it was a Cuban pig. It could've Puerto Rican. ;-)

> Cuba's swine population was devastated by a cholera/swine fever
> epidemic in the 70's, and again in the 80's and it hasn't ever
> recovered. They import much of their pork from Canada and eastern
> Europe. It's a popular belief that the CIA purposely introduced
> the swine fever to Cuba as one of many covert bio-terrorism
> operations aimed at Cuba (<shrug> - Sounds plausible to me).
>
> Needless to say, they don't eat as much pork as all the recipes
> would have you believe. And that was probably an American pig on
> the show as it's illegal to import pigs, like cigars, from Cuba.
>
> If the US ever starts selling them pork, then you can bet the
> prices here will go up noticeably, especially in the South. Cuba
> can eat a lot of pork, but has been using mostly chicken.
>
> -sw (With my Cliff Clavens for the day)

I had it in Florida when my brother-in-law got married to a cuban girl. It
seems that roast suckling pig is a national dish in Cuba, but as for the
pig, I'm sure it was from a local farm. I've thought of raising a few pigs
myself, I have the barn space, but I guess I'm just too lazy. The recipe
was cuban style, that's all.

But it wasn't speaking spanish while it was laying there in the plate, I'll
tell you what!

Suckling pig's head Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 19 03-04-2007 10:53 PM
Roast Suckling Pig Beirader Diabetic 7 28-10-2004 09:14 PM
[Fwd: Roast Suckling Pig] Beirader Historic 1 28-10-2004 04:31 AM
Roast Suckling Pig Beirader General Cooking 3 27-10-2004 05:57 PM
Suckling Pig Chef Barbecue 3 22-03-2004 11:00 PM