Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Halloween

Halloween is coming and we were in a quandary as to what to hand out for
treats. When Angela was younger we would give out little toys. Rubber
ducks were really popular! Extra toys were not a problem in those days.
Although I would get a few specifically Halloween things like stuffed bats,
I would try to get mostly generic things. That way I could put them in
treat bags for school parties or her birthday party if there were extras.
But she is too old for toys now.

We had decided some time ago to give out Welch's Fruit Snacks because all
the kids seem to like them. We were going to get the large packages from
Costco. And extras wouldn't have been a problem because the kids at the
dance studio love them and Angela was eating them for snacks. But now that
she is on a low carb diet, we don't need those in the house. I do like them
and I was using them for hypos. But we really don't need them.

Today at Costco we saw a new product. Simply Fruit Fruit Rollups. They are
made of apples, cherries and berries. Only 12 g of carb per Rollup. So we
bought those. Angela has taken them in her lunch to school and the other
kids always wants some, so she shares.

My husband won't be too happy about this if he is home then. He likes
diving into the candy bowl. We bought full sized candy bars from Costco the
past couple of years and although they went over very well with the kids, we
didn't want the extras in the house.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

I always buy the mini bars and give them out. Some are not absolutely
horrendous if you can limit yourself to only 1. Syd always enjoyed the
tiny milky ways so I would get them and he woudl "hide" them and et them.
Last year I bought far fewer so I didn't have to many left. I am sure
your husband would love these, even if small(he can always have a handful)
and if you get some that are ok for Angela's allergies, she could have one
in her lunch for a treat. She is stil a child adn with portion control it
wouldn't be too bad.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Halloween is coming and we were in a quandary as to what to hand out for
> : treats. When Angela was younger we would give out little toys. Rubber
> : ducks were really popular! Extra toys were not a problem in those days.
> : Although I would get a few specifically Halloween things like stuffed
> bats,
> : I would try to get mostly generic things. That way I could put them in
> : treat bags for school parties or her birthday party if there were
> extras.
> : But she is too old for toys now.
>
> : We had decided some time ago to give out Welch's Fruit Snacks because
> all
> : the kids seem to like them. We were going to get the large packages
> from
> : Costco. And extras wouldn't have been a problem because the kids at the
> : dance studio love them and Angela was eating them for snacks. But now
> that
> : she is on a low carb diet, we don't need those in the house. I do like
> them
> : and I was using them for hypos. But we really don't need them.
>
> : Today at Costco we saw a new product. Simply Fruit Fruit Rollups. They
> are
> : made of apples, cherries and berries. Only 12 g of carb per Rollup. So
> we
> : bought those. Angela has taken them in her lunch to school and the
> other
> : kids always wants some, so she shares.
>
> : My husband won't be too happy about this if he is home then. He likes
> : diving into the candy bowl. We bought full sized candy bars from Costco
> the
> : past couple of years and although they went over very well with the
> kids, we
> : didn't want the extras in the house.
> I always buy the mini bars and give them out. Some are not absolutely
> horrendous if you can limit yourself to only 1. Syd always enjoyed the
> tiny milky ways so I would get them and he woudl "hide" them and et them.
> Last year I bought far fewer so I didn't have to many left. I am sure
> your husband would love these, even if small(he can always have a handful)
> and if you get some that are ok for Angela's allergies, she could have one
> in her lunch for a treat. She is stil a child adn with portion control it
> wouldn't be too bad.

I don't like the mini candies because they seem like such a cheapskate thing
to give out. And you can't usually get just one kind. They tend to come in
mixed bags and they are always mixed with things we can't or won't eat.
Many things are cross contaminated with nuts so no good for Angela.

We could really only get things like Starbursts or gummy things and they are
not favorites of ours by any means. Which is why we got the full sized bars
because we could get all of one kind like plain Hershey bars. The Hershey
miniatures always come assorted.

We also are no good at all with portion control which is why the mini
candies are no good for us at all. If we have mini candies we will just
take one and then another and then another and then just keep at it until we
are sick. But we will not do this with full sized candy bars. Yes, one bar
might be too many carbs. But trust me on this, it will be far fewer carbs
than what we would eat if we had mini candies.

Both of us would much rather just not have something in the house at all
than have to try to portion control something.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

> Both of us would much rather just not have something in the house at
> all than have to try to portion control something.

Me too. I think the fruit rollups you found sound like a good compromise.
(I hate those minibars. I always gave out full-sized candy bars. But since
we haven't had any kids visit for over a decade--we don't live in a
"neighborhood"--and there's no one here but H and I, I no longer buy
anything at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic bags
cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys like spider
rings and stickers and pencils.

if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well as small
bags of nuts.

if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out like
allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.

KROM

"W. Baker" wrote
I always buy the mini bars and give them out. Some are not absolutely
horrendous if you can limit yourself to only 1. Syd always enjoyed the
tiny milky ways so I would get them and he woudl "hide" them and et them.
Last year I bought far fewer so I didn't have to many left.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic bags
> cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys like spider
> rings and stickers and pencils.
>
> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well as
> small bags of nuts.
>
> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out like
> allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.

We don't want to do the toys because we don't want leftovers. We have far
too many kids to give out bags. I would not buy raisins because we hate
them. And I would not buy nuts because Angela is allergic. These are not
kids I know for the most part. We might or might not get a few that I know.
I do not bake. I can not have wheat in the house. And nobody wants to eat
allergen free cookies. They are not tasty at all. Angela doesn't even want
them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

KROM wrote:
> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
> as small bags of nuts.
>
> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>
> KROM

If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about praising
them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than saying in a
very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"? Avoiding
temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us lesser
mortals.

Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
before your kid eats them every single year.)

The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than just
a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups Julie
describes and a box of raisins.

But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> KROM wrote:
>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>> as small bags of nuts.
>>
>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>
>> KROM

> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
> lesser mortals.
>
> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
> to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
> dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
> poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
> years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
> the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
> before your kid eats them every single year.)
>
> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>
> But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> KROM wrote:
>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>> as small bags of nuts.
>>
>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>
>> KROM

> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
> lesser mortals.
>
> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
> to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
> dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
> poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
> years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
> the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
> before your kid eats them every single year.)
>
> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>
> But of course, YMMV.

Yep. I can remember my dad telling all of the kids on the block that there
was something wrong with the Clark bars. As such we were never allowed to
eat them. It was an urban legend. We were also never allowed to have
apples or anything anyone made. I don't recall getting anything that anyone
made but we did get some apples.

As for the raisins, I don't believe that most kids like them. I don't know
very many that do. At least I know they will eat the Fruit Rollups.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
> he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
> each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
> that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
> because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee

I had a bad experience the first year I was living with my husband (we were
not yet married). He had no clue about Trick Or Treaters and claimed they
didn't do that sort of thing where he grew up. I've since learned this is
not true but perhaps his family just didn't do it because they didn't do
much for holidays.

The apartment we lived in was a couple of blocks from where I had my first
apartment. And at that first apartment I didn't get a single kid!

To be safe, I did order some toys and got some small candies and made up
maybe a dozen treat bags. I had told him that kids might come but he didn't
believe me.

Then they started coming. The first person was my nephew who was about 2.
Then some more kids. He began to run out of treats. He called me at work.
I told him in the meantime to dump the bags out and give each kid a couple
of things. I wasn't able to get home for about another hour. My parents
lived near there so they ran some of their candy over to him. They rarely
ever get kids.

We had run out of Halloween candy at work. Totally out. I can't remember
what it was that I bought. I do remember buying something. We did carry
some Sathers and smaller bagged candies so I probably bought those. And
then we ran out of those. So I do remember giving out granola bars and
packs of gum.

The worst part was that I had put little high bouncing balls in the treat
bags. My husband stupidly assumed that everything in the treat bags was
edible and tried to eat one! Then he freaked because he had given them out.

And worse still, my nephew bounced his in the kitchen and it went down the
sink where the garbage disposal was. My brother tried and tried to get it
out but it just kept going around and around. He finally did get it out but
I don't remember how. I will never give those out again!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

that would be funny if it weren't so scarey, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
>> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
>> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember,
>> then he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he
>> asked each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to
>> scoop that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit
>> was 12 because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway...
>> Lee

> I had a bad experience the first year I was living with my husband (we
> were not yet married). He had no clue about Trick Or Treaters and claimed
> they didn't do that sort of thing where he grew up. I've since learned
> this is not true but perhaps his family just didn't do it because they
> didn't do much for holidays.
>
> The apartment we lived in was a couple of blocks from where I had my first
> apartment. And at that first apartment I didn't get a single kid!
>
> To be safe, I did order some toys and got some small candies and made up
> maybe a dozen treat bags. I had told him that kids might come but he
> didn't believe me.
>
> Then they started coming. The first person was my nephew who was about 2.
> Then some more kids. He began to run out of treats. He called me at
> work. I told him in the meantime to dump the bags out and give each kid a
> couple of things. I wasn't able to get home for about another hour. My
> parents lived near there so they ran some of their candy over to him.
> They rarely ever get kids.
>
> We had run out of Halloween candy at work. Totally out. I can't remember
> what it was that I bought. I do remember buying something. We did carry
> some Sathers and smaller bagged candies so I probably bought those. And
> then we ran out of those. So I do remember giving out granola bars and
> packs of gum.
>
> The worst part was that I had put little high bouncing balls in the treat
> bags. My husband stupidly assumed that everything in the treat bags was
> edible and tried to eat one! Then he freaked because he had given them
> out.
>
> And worse still, my nephew bounced his in the kitchen and it went down the
> sink where the garbage disposal was. My brother tried and tried to get it
> out but it just kept going around and around. He finally did get it out
> but I don't remember how. I will never give those out again!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you clearly mistook my tone and what I wrote.

I was offering alternatives and not chastisement

I also wasn't directing that comment to anyone but a generic "one" which is
why I worded it that way.

who am I to "praise" when I wasnt speaking directly at anyone but just
offering general advice on alternatives?

I offered alternatives to a common issue at Halloween and I said IF YOU KNOW
THE PEOPLE that baking might be a OPTION.

the goody bag option is NOT expensive if you get the giant bag of spider
rings which has like 300 rings for 2 bucks same with the pencils etc it
would be the same if not cheaper then candy.
you can get 30 bags for a dollar etc..

Walgreens and party city always have those items very cheap

granted it does irk me when we try to enforce our health issue on healthy
kids for whom candy isn't a problem..but that was not what I was referring
to here.

KROM

"Janet" wrote in message ...

KROM wrote:
> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
> as small bags of nuts.
>
> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>
> KROM

If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about praising
them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than saying in a
very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"? Avoiding
temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us lesser
mortals.

Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
before your kid eats them every single year.)

The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than just
a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups Julie
describes and a box of raisins.

But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

thats a pretty smart solution!

most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol

I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.

KROM

"Janet" > wrote in message
> KROM wrote:
>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>> as small bags of nuts.
>>
>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>
>> KROM

> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
> lesser mortals.
>
> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
> to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
> dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
> poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
> years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
> the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
> before your kid eats them every single year.)
>
> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>
> But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> you clearly mistook my tone and what I wrote.
>
> I was offering alternatives and not chastisement
>
> I also wasn't directing that comment to anyone but a generic "one" which
> is why I worded it that way.
>
> who am I to "praise" when I wasn't speaking directly at anyone but just
> offering general advice on alternatives?
>
> I offered alternatives to a common issue at Halloween and I said IF YOU
> KNOW THE PEOPLE that baking might be a OPTION.
>
> the goody bag option is NOT expensive if you get the giant bag of spider
> rings which has like 300 rings for 2 bucks same with the pencils etc it
> would be the same if not cheaper then candy.
> you can get 30 bags for a dollar etc..
>
> Walgreens and party city always have those items very cheap
>
> granted it does irk me when we try to enforce our health issue on healthy
> kids for whom candy isn't a problem..but that was not what I was referring
> to here.
>
> KROM
>

> "Janet" wrote in message ...
>
> KROM wrote:
>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>> as small bags of nuts.
>>
>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>
>> KROM

> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
> praising
> them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than saying in a
> very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"? Avoiding
> temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us lesser
> mortals.
>
> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been conditioned
> to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is potentially
> dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was a father who
> poisoned his own children, according to an article in the Atlantic I read
> years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading as journalists on
> the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about "checking treats"
> before your kid eats them every single year.)
>
> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
> just
> a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups Julie
> describes and a box of raisins.
>
> But of course, YMMV.

I don't think kids like pencils or spider rings. At least my daughter never
did.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

he is very creative in a practicle way, that would have never occured to me,
and i think a mixed can would/might be a challenge, Lee
"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> that's a pretty smart solution!
>
> most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol
>
> I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.
>

> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>
> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
> he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
> each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
> that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
> because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> KROM wrote:
>>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>>> as small bags of nuts.
>>>
>>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
>> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
>> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
>> lesser mortals.
>>
>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is
>> potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was
>> a father who poisoned his own children, according to an article in the
>> Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading
>> as journalists on the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about
>> "checking treats" before your kid eats them every single year.)
>>
>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
>> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
>> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>
>> But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oh I would only do that if I ran out of candy!..lol

as long as it doesnt have hfcs I give away candy..I do keep a couple bags
of trinkets if ever I was asked but it hasnt come up yet.

I see it like just because I dont drink means I should take away your wine
or cause I like beef means you cant enjoy the chicken..

this is supposed to be a treat and I'm not going to visit my illness on
kids.

if I could eat candy I would..lol

I do allow my self a few peanut m and m's since if I keep it a few doesnt
blip my meter..lol

the first year I was afraid of temptation so had a 70 percent super rich bar
on hand..wasnt a problem.

last several years I pretty much buy all candies I wouldnt want anyhoo like
sweet tarts and twizzlers and gumballs etc.

now if I had all almond joys and snickers...might be bad..lol..oh and recess
peanut butter cups <drool>

KROM

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> that's a pretty smart solution!
>
> most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol
>
> I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.
>

> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>
> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
> he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
> each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
> that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
> because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> KROM wrote:
>>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>>> as small bags of nuts.
>>>
>>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
>> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
>> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
>> lesser mortals.
>>
>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is
>> potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was
>> a father who poisoned his own children, according to an article in the
>> Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading
>> as journalists on the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about
>> "checking treats" before your kid eats them every single year.)
>>
>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
>> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
>> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>
>> But of course, YMMV.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/30/2011 1:20 PM, KROM wrote:
> thats a pretty smart solution!
>
> most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol
>
> I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.
>

> KROM
>

> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>
> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember, then
> he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
> each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
> that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
> because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> KROM wrote:
>>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>>> as small bags of nuts.
>>>
>>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather
>> than saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control
>> themselves"? Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at
>> least for us lesser mortals.
>>
>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping
>> is potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy
>> poisoning was a father who poisoned his own children, according to an
>> article in the Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the
>> idiots masquerading as journalists on the TV from trotting out their
>> ridiculous advice about "checking treats" before your kid eats them
>> every single year.)
>>
>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more
>> than just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit
>> rollups Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>
>> But of course, YMMV.

Krom, the younger kids (up to 6 to 8) really like this option

after that, they would rather have 2 of the halloween choc bars

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/30/2011 1:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't think kids like pencils or spider rings. At least my daughter never
> did.

I offer a wide range of their choice of any 2 items from any 2 bowls

the spider rings would always be gone first

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/30/2011 1:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I don't think kids like pencils or spider rings. At least my daughter
>> never
>> did.

> I offer a wide range of their choice of any 2 items from any 2 bowls
>
> the spider rings would always be gone first

Hmmm... I got the spider rings once and we had most of them left at the end
of the night. Of course it didn't help that other neighbors also had spider
rings. Angela came home with a ton of them. The things that went the best
for us were the rubber ducks and the stuffed animals.

I always had a lot of the stationary stuff left. Like notepads, stickers
and pencils.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/30/2011 1:20 PM, KROM wrote:
>> that's a pretty smart solution!
>>
>> most of us have jugs or cans of pennies etc we never turn in..lol
>>
>> I have a 6 pound protein powder jug full of coins.
>>

>> KROM
>>

>> "Storrmmee" wrote in message ...
>>
>> one year we let it sneak up on us, and i sell candy !!! when dh saw the
>> first batch of kids come up the walk he freaked out... he went to the
>> bedroom and came back with either pennies or nickles, can't remember,
>> then
>> he went to the kitchen got a tablespoon, so when they got there he asked
>> each kid how old they were and then whatever their age they got to scoop
>> that many times... must have been pennies or nickles... the limit was 12
>> because he thought older than that was too old to be t/t anyway... Lee

>>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather
>>> than saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control
>>> themselves"? Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at
>>> least for us lesser mortals.
>>>
>>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping
>>> is potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy
>>> poisoning was a father who poisoned his own children, according to an
>>> article in the Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the
>>> idiots masquerading as journalists on the TV from trotting out their
>>> ridiculous advice about "checking treats" before your kid eats them
>>> every single year.)
>>>
>>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more
>>> than just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit
>>> rollups Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>>
>>> But of course, YMMV.
>>>

> Krom, the younger kids (up to 6 to 8) really like this option
>
> after that, they would rather have 2 of the halloween choc bars

I liked getting money when I was a kid so long as it was enough to buy
something with. In those days you could get a candy bar for a nickel.
Actually you could still get a tiny gumball for a penny. I believe the
larger gumballs and even the "penny" candy cost 2 cents in those days. If I
got just a penny, I wasn't so thrilled.

I really didn't like getting a toothbrush or a religious tract though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> KROM wrote:
>>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>>> as small bags of nuts.
>>>
>>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
>> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
>> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
>> lesser mortals.
>>
>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is
>> potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was
>> a father who poisoned his own children, according to an article in the
>> Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading
>> as journalists on the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about
>> "checking treats" before your kid eats them every single year.)
>>
>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
>> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
>> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>
>> But of course, YMMV.

> Yep. I can remember my dad telling all of the kids on the block that
> there was something wrong with the Clark bars. As such we were never
> allowed to eat them. It was an urban legend. We were also never allowed
> to have apples or anything anyone made. I don't recall getting anything
> that anyone made but we did get some apples.
>
> As for the raisins, I don't believe that most kids like them. I don't
> know very many that do. At least I know they will eat the Fruit Rollups.

When I was a child we lived in small towns so all of our treats were
baked...or popcorn balls...sometimes candied or caramel apples...hardly ever
got store bought candy...when we moved to Tucson we thought it was a treat
to get candy bars in our bags We usually don't get kids on Halloween
because we live to far out and our houses are on 4-5 acres, not enough
houses to fill the bags I do buy candy just in case, and the day after
the left over candy goes to my husbands job. He is an instructor at a local
Community College...the students love the candy

Who needs Halloween? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 20 25-10-2011 02:17 AM
Welcome HALLOWEEN UMMM General Cooking 0 14-10-2011 04:50 PM
Something different for Halloween? Help! Nexis General Cooking 19 04-11-2004 07:28 AM
Halloween Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 29-10-2004 11:55 PM
Halloween Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 20 15-10-2004 03:53 PM