Nexis

Default Something different for Halloween? Help!

Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party. (Not to mention
a cake for the cake walk! lol) For the bake sale, I usually do mini pumpkin
cakes...last year I did chocolate and carrot cake (separate, not together).
I also do some spider cookies, which are just chocolate cookies, with
licorice legs and red hots for eyes, because the kids love them. I want to
do something different for the class party though, so I'm looking for ideas.
I have to make them a day ahead, because I'll be at the doctor's office all
morning the day of the party, which doesn't leave me any time to bake that
day...so something that will be okay being made ahead is appreciated. Any
ideas?

Thanks!

kimberly

Spoons

You didn't mention if they had to be peanut free recipes so heres what I
found.

Kraft - theres some really fun recipes
http://kraftfoods.com/kf/ff/Hallowee...iteRecipes.htm

caramel & chocolate covered apples
http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit...g_class/apples

Witch finger cookies
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes.../fingers.html\

Tons for recipes and some have pictures
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/holiday-...halloween.html

let us know what you made
take care,
SPOONS

Spoons

here's another one I found...it's really cute...

a spooky haunted house cake

http://email.cookingvillage.com/cgi-...wVCT0TG0URy0As

Spoons

here's another one I found...it's really cute...

a spooky haunted house cake

http://email.cookingvillage.com/cgi-...wVCT0TG0URy0As

Nancy Howells

In article <F8pfd.18810$SW3.9954@fed1read01>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party. (Not to
> mention
> a cake for the cake walk! lol) For the bake sale, I usually do mini
> pumpkin
> cakes...last year I did chocolate and carrot cake (separate, not
> together).
> I also do some spider cookies, which are just chocolate cookies, with
> licorice legs and red hots for eyes, because the kids love them. I want
> do something different for the class party though, so I'm looking for
> ideas.
> I have to make them a day ahead, because I'll be at the doctor's office
> all
> morning the day of the party, which doesn't leave me any time to bake
> that
> day...so something that will be okay being made ahead is appreciated. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

Dirt pudding! Individual cups, or not - it's crushed oreo cookies,
chocolate pudding, and gummy worms. You can do a non-chocolate version
with vanilla pudding and vanilla wafers.

Or, Cat-box cake. I don't have a recipe for that - you will need to do
a search for that one, or have someone else post it, but it's funny.
Gross-looking, but funny.

Dirt pudding, for what it's worth, works exceptionally well in a sand
bucket (the kind you get for use at the beach for kids) that's not been
used - if it's for the class, you could do a couple of buckets' worth,
and serve up from there.

It's actually very easy to make - the only issue in your case would be
storage.

Finally, last but not least, I might do cat cakes, which are cupcakes,
frosted in black icing (food coloring) to which you add eyes (green
M&Ms) and licorice whiskers, with a candy-corn nose, and ears that are
non-edible - tin foil, or something like that.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Nancy Howells

wrote:

> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party. (Not to
> mention
> a cake for the cake walk! lol) For the bake sale, I usually do mini
> pumpkin
> cakes...last year I did chocolate and carrot cake (separate, not
> together).
> I also do some spider cookies, which are just chocolate cookies, with
> licorice legs and red hots for eyes, because the kids love them. I want
> do something different for the class party though, so I'm looking for
> ideas.
> I have to make them a day ahead, because I'll be at the doctor's office
> all
> morning the day of the party, which doesn't leave me any time to bake
> that
> day...so something that will be okay being made ahead is appreciated. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

Dirt pudding! Individual cups, or not - it's crushed oreo cookies,
chocolate pudding, and gummy worms. You can do a non-chocolate version
with vanilla pudding and vanilla wafers.

Or, Cat-box cake. I don't have a recipe for that - you will need to do
a search for that one, or have someone else post it, but it's funny.
Gross-looking, but funny.

Dirt pudding, for what it's worth, works exceptionally well in a sand
bucket (the kind you get for use at the beach for kids) that's not been
used - if it's for the class, you could do a couple of buckets' worth,
and serve up from there.

It's actually very easy to make - the only issue in your case would be
storage.

Finally, last but not least, I might do cat cakes, which are cupcakes,
frosted in black icing (food coloring) to which you add eyes (green
M&Ms) and licorice whiskers, with a candy-corn nose, and ears that are
non-edible - tin foil, or something like that.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Sam D.

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party. (Not to

mention
> a cake for the cake walk! lol) For the bake sale, I usually do mini

pumpkin
> cakes...last year I did chocolate and carrot cake (separate, not

together).
> I also do some spider cookies, which are just chocolate cookies,

with
> licorice legs and red hots for eyes, because the kids love them. I

want to
> do something different for the class party though, so I'm looking

for ideas.
> I have to make them a day ahead, because I'll be at the doctor's

office all
> morning the day of the party, which doesn't leave me any time to

bake that
> day...so something that will be okay being made ahead is

appreciated. Any
> ideas?

Here is a source for a batch of Halloween recipes that were supposed
to be featured on Melinda Lee's weekend radio broadcasts. She became
too ill to do the broadcast last weekend but the recipes are posted on
her web site

http://www.melindalee.com/main.html

Amazing Pumpkins: Three-plus Recipes:
Candied Pumpkin, Pumpkin Pickles, Pumpkin Fudge +

Candied Apples

Dragon’s Blood Punch with Ice Molded Hand

Popcorn Jack O’lanterns

Pumpkin Bread

Sam D.

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party. (Not to

mention
> a cake for the cake walk! lol) For the bake sale, I usually do mini

pumpkin
> cakes...last year I did chocolate and carrot cake (separate, not

together).
> I also do some spider cookies, which are just chocolate cookies,

with
> licorice legs and red hots for eyes, because the kids love them. I

want to
> do something different for the class party though, so I'm looking

for ideas.
> I have to make them a day ahead, because I'll be at the doctor's

office all
> morning the day of the party, which doesn't leave me any time to

bake that
> day...so something that will be okay being made ahead is

appreciated. Any
> ideas?

Here is a source for a batch of Halloween recipes that were supposed
to be featured on Melinda Lee's weekend radio broadcasts. She became
too ill to do the broadcast last weekend but the recipes are posted on
her web site

http://www.melindalee.com/main.html

Amazing Pumpkins: Three-plus Recipes:
Candied Pumpkin, Pumpkin Pickles, Pumpkin Fudge +

Candied Apples

Dragon’s Blood Punch with Ice Molded Hand

Popcorn Jack O’lanterns

Pumpkin Bread

A Ross

wrote:

> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party.

Snip
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

This year for our annual pumpkin bash my daughters and I baked a huge
sugar cookie man, frosted him and decorated him with candy corn, and, at
my 10-year-olds insistence, chopped his head off and put it in his hand.
He looked like Mr. Bill from SNL.

It was a little frightening the way the kids tore into him...

Amy

A Ross

wrote:

> Ok, somehow I got wrangled into baking for both the bake sale at my
> daughter's school Halloween carnival and their class party.

Snip
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
>
> kimberly

This year for our annual pumpkin bash my daughters and I baked a huge
sugar cookie man, frosted him and decorated him with candy corn, and, at
my 10-year-olds insistence, chopped his head off and put it in his hand.
He looked like Mr. Bill from SNL.

It was a little frightening the way the kids tore into him...

Amy

"Any ideas?"

I don't do Halloween, but we do celebrate the Harvest season at church,
similar to the Jewish observance of Sucooth. (Well, without the booths!)
I created these last night, getting ideas from several different recipes
I had looked at. They're pretty fast and easy to make, taste great, and
the candy corn gives them a festive look:

Chocolate Harvest Bars

1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 large egg
1 stick of butter of margerine, softened

Mix these ingredients until crumbly, then press into a greased 10" X 15"
pan. (Because of the marshmallow, I suggest lining the pan with
aluminum foil, and greasing that, for easy cleanup.)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

Remove the pan, and sprinkle a layer of mini marshmallows evenly over
the top - you'll need about 1/2 bag.

Put the pan back in the oven, just a couple of minutes, until the
marshmallows puff up.

Meanwhile, mix togther 2 cups of nuts, 2 cups of Rice Krispies, and 1
cup of candy corn.

In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 cup corn syrup, 1/4 cup of brown sugar
and 1/4 cup of white sugar to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove
from heat and stir in 1/2 cup of peanut butter and 2 tsp. of vanilla;
mix until smooth and creamy. Combine this mixture with the candy/nut
mixture, tossing to coat the candy and nuts evenly, and spoon it over
the marshmallow layer - you'll have to work pretty fast, as the corn
syrup mixture will start to set up quickly.

Let cool, then cut into bars.

I"m thinking that these could be adapted to any holiday, using jelly
beans for Easter, candy hearts for Valentine's Day, etc. In fact, as I
type this, I'm thinking that maple might be nice instead of the
vanilla.... )

M L McMann

> wrote in message
> "Any ideas?"
>
> I don't do Halloween, but we do celebrate the Harvest season at church,
> similar to the Jewish observance of Sucooth. (Well, without the booths!)
> I created these last night, getting ideas from several different recipes
> I had looked at. They're pretty fast and easy to make, taste great, and
> the candy corn gives them a festive look:

<< snip! recipe >>

Oh, for Heaven's sake. How ridiculous. Hallowe'en has absolutely *jack* to
do with religion.

Aren't you the one who just posted some spam, and then answered yourself?

Don't bother with a reply. I've just killfiled you.

Shalom. Oh, and get a Saviour.

Mark M.

M L McMann

> wrote in message
> "Any ideas?"
>
> I don't do Halloween, but we do celebrate the Harvest season at church,
> similar to the Jewish observance of Sucooth. (Well, without the booths!)
> I created these last night, getting ideas from several different recipes
> I had looked at. They're pretty fast and easy to make, taste great, and
> the candy corn gives them a festive look:

<< snip! recipe >>

Oh, for Heaven's sake. How ridiculous. Hallowe'en has absolutely *jack* to
do with religion.

Aren't you the one who just posted some spam, and then answered yourself?

Don't bother with a reply. I've just killfiled you.

Shalom. Oh, and get a Saviour.

Mark M.

sf

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 03:49:46 GMT, "M L McMann"
> wrote:

> Oh, for Heaven's sake. How ridiculous. Hallowe'en has absolutely *jack* to
> do with religion.

Not according to the evangelicals... including evangelical
catholics. We had kids at school who weren't allowed to
participate in Halloween festivities because of their
religion. One even said it was because she was "catholic".

They all believe it's the devil's birthday.

It's weird to me and just plain ignorant, but that's what
they believe. There is no critical thinking or independent
thought needed for such a belief - only the willingness to
follow the dictates of others.

http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm

sf
Julian9EHP

Here's another view:

http://www.wf-f.org/Hallow-Saints.html
E. P.
Julian9EHP

Here's another view:

http://www.wf-f.org/Hallow-Saints.html
E. P.
sf

On 03 Nov 2004 12:27:27 GMT, (Julian9EHP)
wrote:

> Here's another view:

http://www.wf-f.org/Hallow-Saints.html

It's a confirmation.
<oops, sorry for using that "religious" word>
LOL

sf
sf

wrote:

> Here's another view:

http://www.wf-f.org/Hallow-Saints.html

It's a confirmation.
<oops, sorry for using that "religious" word>
LOL

sf

Who needs Halloween? Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 20 25-10-2011 02:17 AM
Welcome HALLOWEEN UMMM General Cooking 0 14-10-2011 04:50 PM
Halloween Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 20 31-08-2011 07:44 PM
Halloween Margaret Suran General Cooking 10 29-10-2004 11:55 PM
Halloween Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 20 15-10-2004 03:53 PM