Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Jacquie Jacquie is offline

Default Halloween

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> KROM wrote:
>>> if one cant control themselves then you can buy those tiny plastic
>>> bags cheap from a party store or Walgreens and fill them with toys
>>> like spider rings and stickers and pencils.

>>> if you want a food item small boxes of raisins can be added as well
>>> as small bags of nuts.
>>>
>>> if these are kids you know you can bake or buy something to give out
>>> like allergy free cookies individually wrapped etc.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> If a person knows they cannot deal well with temptation, how about
>> praising them for thinking ahead and avoiding the situation rather than
>> saying in a very superior manner that they "can't control themselves"?
>> Avoiding temptation IS a means of controlling oneself, at least for us
>> lesser mortals.
>>
>> Making stuff is a waste of time, IMHO, since everyone has been
>> conditioned to believe that anything not in a manufacturer's wrapping is
>> potentially dangerous. (The only known case of actual candy poisoning was
>> a father who poisoned his own children, according to an article in the
>> Atlantic I read years ago, but that doesn't stop the idiots masquerading
>> as journalists on the TV from trotting out their ridiculous advice about
>> "checking treats" before your kid eats them every single year.)
>>
>> The goodie bag approach would be awfully expensive if you had more than
>> just a few kids. I personally see no difference between the fruit rollups
>> Julie describes and a box of raisins.
>>
>> But of course, YMMV.

> Yep. I can remember my dad telling all of the kids on the block that
> there was something wrong with the Clark bars. As such we were never
> allowed to eat them. It was an urban legend. We were also never allowed
> to have apples or anything anyone made. I don't recall getting anything
> that anyone made but we did get some apples.
>
> As for the raisins, I don't believe that most kids like them. I don't
> know very many that do. At least I know they will eat the Fruit Rollups.

When I was a child we lived in small towns so all of our treats were
baked...or popcorn balls...sometimes candied or caramel apples...hardly ever
got store bought candy...when we moved to Tucson we thought it was a treat
to get candy bars in our bags We usually don't get kids on Halloween
because we live to far out and our houses are on 4-5 acres, not enough
houses to fill the bags I do buy candy just in case, and the day after
the left over candy goes to my husbands job. He is an instructor at a local
Community College...the students love the candy