Old 08-04-2011, 12:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default banana pudding help.

ok i have a friend that wants to make a banana pudding, knowing that this is
not generally a diabetic friendly dish, i am wondering if anyone has one
that is less carbs, or if the graham crackers/'nillia wafers come in a sugar
free or carb reduced version.

the goal here is to make it as friendly to a diabetic as possible, we can
use prepared products or from scratch, splenda and nutra crap are both ok,
it needs to be one of those layered things in the cassarole dish... after we
have a decent tasting recipe, the remainder of the carb control will be done
through attempted portion control... on that note the maker of the dish will
be keeping it at her house, and serving said dish to friend, so she will not
have guilt about the carbs as it won't be going home with him...

Lee

Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Storrmmee" wrote:

ok i have a friend that wants to make a banana pudding, knowing that this is
not generally a diabetic friendly dish, i am wondering if anyone has one
that is less carbs, or if the graham crackers/'nillia wafers come in a sugar
free or carb reduced version.

the goal here is to make it as friendly to a diabetic as possible, we can
use prepared products or from scratch, splenda and nutra crap are both ok,
it needs to be one of those layered things in the cassarole dish... after we
have a decent tasting recipe, the remainder of the carb control will be done
through attempted portion control... on that note the maker of the dish will
be keeping it at her house, and serving said dish to friend, so she will not
have guilt about the carbs as it won't be going home with him...

Lee

Bananas - Dehydrated - (1 cup) 88 c
Bananas - Raw - (1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)) 28 c

I think it's the bananas are the problem. My doc says eat them with some
protein, but I don't know what kind you could add
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i know the pudding should be made with a sweetener, i was wondering about
using whey powder in the pudding, and i also thought about greek yogurt as
part of the pudding as the protien seems a bit higher than most other dairy
items, Lee

Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/7/2011 6:11 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
ok i have a friend that wants to make a banana pudding, knowing that this is
not generally a diabetic friendly dish, i am wondering if anyone has one
that is less carbs, or if the graham crackers/'nillia wafers come in a sugar
free or carb reduced version.

the goal here is to make it as friendly to a diabetic as possible, we can
use prepared products or from scratch, splenda and nutra crap are both ok,
it needs to be one of those layered things in the cassarole dish... after we
have a decent tasting recipe, the remainder of the carb control will be done
through attempted portion control... on that note the maker of the dish will
be keeping it at her house, and serving said dish to friend, so she will not
have guilt about the carbs as it won't be going home with him...

Lee

\
Lee,

Unfortunately, this is just not a dish that can be made
Diabetic-friendly. The main ingredients of pudding are milk and corn
starch, two very carbohydrate laden products. Add the vanilla wafers,
which do not come in a low-carb version, then add bananas which are a
whopping 30 grams per banana (average size).

Even a small serving of banana pudding can use up an entire meal's carb
allowance for many Diabetics.

Pudding, even sugar-free versions is not something that should be in a
diabetic's diet if he or she is really watching their carbohydrate intake.

I am reminded of my DH's mother who was highly insulted that he didn't
want a heaping bowl full of her sugar-free pudding that she made with
skim milk.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

that is a big part of the reason i asked here, we don't use premade pudding
of anykind and rarely make puddings from scratch, when we do its chocolate,
thanks, Lee
eb.com...

Old 08-04-2011, 04:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote:

[...]

Agree with you there. Perhaps you could do a sugar free vanilla pudding and
add banana flavor?

Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[...]

When I was pregnant, the dietician insisted that I eat 5 servings of fruit
per day or I would harm the baby. I was never able to do that. If I was
lucky I could get in one serving. The baby came out fine.

I did get a recipe in a nasty diabetic cookbook that used sugar free vanilla
pudding. I can't remember now if it was the instant one of the kind you
have to cook. I vaguely remember cooking it. It was mixed with a red
Jell-O and then berries were added. The end result was supposed to be like
a pie filling. I don't really like Jell-O, pudding or pie but somehow the
combination of these things made it possible for me to manage to eat a few
bites. The carb count wasn't overly high because I dished it out into
little disposable cups. In the beginning I worried that I might like it too
much and eat too much. Not to worry. I never finished one cup. But I was
able to eat a couple of bites.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

xanthan gum is good for thickening things. I really can't imagine banana
pudding ever being really diabetic-friendly. Simply adding the bananas will
blow it.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

so far she is going to slice bananas lengthwise very thin to use less
bananas to start with, make bananaflavored pudding using the flavoring, not
sure if that will be premade or scratch, she is going to see whcich has less
carvs, she will use greek ygurt if its the premade instead of milk... and we
are both researching whey protien to see if that can play a part in the
pudding to increase protien and maybe reduce the thickener.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

like i said this won't be a regular menu item, its a special treat... and we
all agree it won't ever be totally friendly just that she wants to limit the
harm as much as possible... and being himself, if he does eat it she wants
it to be as friendly as possible, Lee

Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"atec77" wrote in message
On 8/04/2011 3:13 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
thanks i will send this to her, she really wants him to have nice
things
that aren't harmful for him. Lee

then suggest this

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
and stop eating bread and flour products
my 3 month average with out medication was just on 7 which I am told
is pretty good
if I were to eat much bread it would be a problem

7 isn't pretty good at all. You may need to change your diet more, add
medication or exercise more or all 3.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

atec77 wrote:
On 8/04/2011 5:17 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"atec77" wrote in message
On 8/04/2011 3:13 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
thanks i will send this to her, she really wants him to have nice
things that aren't harmful for him. Lee
then suggest this

http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.html
and stop eating bread and flour products
my 3 month average with out medication was just on 7 which I am told
is pretty good
if I were to eat much bread it would be a problem

7 isn't pretty good at all. You may need to change your diet more,
add medication or exercise more or all 3.

yes it is considering the time in hospital and other stuff it's bloody
excellent
and the new recommendations are to try for 6.5

If you are not on insulin or a med that promotes hypos, you could certainly
consider aiming for something closer to normal, like 5.5 instead of 6.5.

BTW, too bad Kurt cannot see this. An example of how the "recommendations"
are in fact taken literally by many and how the low expectations inherent in
those recommendations may in fact be harmful to those who take them
literally.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like Jell-O puddings fat/sugar free banana and pistachio pudding...I use a
splash of heavy cream to give it a nice mouth feel and richness.

doesnt budge my meter at all and tastes as good as regular.

as far as the nilla cookies part I would suggest checking the organic isle
and just use like one maybe two cookies per serving.

KROM

Old 08-04-2011, 07:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" wrote in message
xanthan gum is good for thickening things. I really can't imagine
banana pudding ever being really diabetic-friendly. Simply adding
the bananas will blow it.

Better to find other flavors that he likes that CAN be made more "diabetic
friendly," IMHO, if she wants to do him a favor. What will happen here, I
bet, is that he will have it too often since he will think it is okay, and
it will blow his BGs every time. But anyway...

The best solution for comparatively low-carb banana pudding might be to
simply go to the store and buy an instant artificially-sweetened pudding in
a flavor like cheesecake or white chocolate, prepare it according to package
directions, and add the sliced bananas to it. (Who knows, they may even make
it in banana flavor.) And if she wants to make it more mousse-like, tell her
to use half the stated volume of liquid and make it cream instead of milk.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

And if she wants
to make it more mousse-like, tell her to use half the stated volume
of liquid and make it cream instead of milk.

And forget the wafers, unless she wants to make something with egg whites,
almond or coconut flour, artificial sweetener, and vanilla. (Actually,
something like that could be quite good...)

Banana Pudding crouslar Marketplace 0 17-05-2012 11:50 PM
Semolina and Banana Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 27-07-2008 01:48 PM
Creamy Banana Pudding Best_chef General Cooking 17 20-10-2007 04:14 AM
Banana Pudding The International Cafe Recipes (moderated) 0 15-09-2005 02:51 AM
Layered Low-Fat Banana Pudding T & J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 04-07-2005 04:25 AM