Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default banana pudding help.

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 4/7/2011 6:11 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
>> ok i have a friend that wants to make a banana pudding, knowing that this
>> is
>> not generally a diabetic friendly dish, i am wondering if anyone has one
>> that is less carbs, or if the graham crackers/'nillia wafers come in a
>> sugar
>> free or carb reduced version.
>>
>> the goal here is to make it as friendly to a diabetic as possible, we can
>> use prepared products or from scratch, splenda and nutra crap are both
>> ok,
>> it needs to be one of those layered things in the cassarole dish... after
>> we
>> have a decent tasting recipe, the remainder of the carb control will be
>> done
>> through attempted portion control... on that note the maker of the dish
>> will
>> be keeping it at her house, and serving said dish to friend, so she will
>> not
>> have guilt about the carbs as it won't be going home with him...
>>
>> Lee
>>

> \
> Lee,
>
> Unfortunately, this is just not a dish that can be made Diabetic-friendly.
> The main ingredients of pudding are milk and corn starch, two very
> carbohydrate laden products. Add the vanilla wafers, which do not come in
> a low-carb version, then add bananas which are a whopping 30 grams per
> banana (average size).
>
> Even a small serving of banana pudding can use up an entire meal's carb
> allowance for many Diabetics.
>
> Pudding, even sugar-free versions is not something that should be in a
> diabetic's diet if he or she is really watching their carbohydrate intake.
>
> I am reminded of my DH's mother who was highly insulted that he didn't
> want a heaping bowl full of her sugar-free pudding that she made with skim
> milk.

When I was pregnant, the dietician insisted that I eat 5 servings of fruit
per day or I would harm the baby. I was never able to do that. If I was
lucky I could get in one serving. The baby came out fine.

I did get a recipe in a nasty diabetic cookbook that used sugar free vanilla
pudding. I can't remember now if it was the instant one of the kind you
have to cook. I vaguely remember cooking it. It was mixed with a red
Jell-O and then berries were added. The end result was supposed to be like
a pie filling. I don't really like Jell-O, pudding or pie but somehow the
combination of these things made it possible for me to manage to eat a few
bites. The carb count wasn't overly high because I dished it out into
little disposable cups. In the beginning I worried that I might like it too
much and eat too much. Not to worry. I never finished one cup. But I was
able to eat a couple of bites.