Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default banana pudding help.

On 4/7/2011 6:11 PM, Storrmmee wrote:
> ok i have a friend that wants to make a banana pudding, knowing that this is
> not generally a diabetic friendly dish, i am wondering if anyone has one
> that is less carbs, or if the graham crackers/'nillia wafers come in a sugar
> free or carb reduced version.
>
> the goal here is to make it as friendly to a diabetic as possible, we can
> use prepared products or from scratch, splenda and nutra crap are both ok,
> it needs to be one of those layered things in the cassarole dish... after we
> have a decent tasting recipe, the remainder of the carb control will be done
> through attempted portion control... on that note the maker of the dish will
> be keeping it at her house, and serving said dish to friend, so she will not
> have guilt about the carbs as it won't be going home with him...
>
> Lee

\
Lee,

Unfortunately, this is just not a dish that can be made
Diabetic-friendly. The main ingredients of pudding are milk and corn
starch, two very carbohydrate laden products. Add the vanilla wafers,
which do not come in a low-carb version, then add bananas which are a
whopping 30 grams per banana (average size).

Even a small serving of banana pudding can use up an entire meal's carb
allowance for many Diabetics.

Pudding, even sugar-free versions is not something that should be in a
diabetic's diet if he or she is really watching their carbohydrate intake.

I am reminded of my DH's mother who was highly insulted that he didn't
want a heaping bowl full of her sugar-free pudding that she made with
skim milk.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas