Old 26-11-2010, 09:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Arthritis and diabetes

Besides being dx'd with T2 almost 20 years ago, I've been developing
painful arthritis in my shoulders, hips and knees. My wife asked me what
she can feed me to alleviate the pain.

The little research I've done suggests Fish such as herring, sardines and
tuna; garlic, onions, sprouts and cabbage; Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds,
toasted wheat germ, brown rice, wheat bran and soy beans; almonds, barley,
beans, avocados and greens; Blueberries, cherries and black cherries.

Some of those are not real diabetes-friendly. What are the thoughts and
observations of others? Thanks.

families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ http://anymarine.com/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 26-11-2010, 09:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have also heard that fish is very good against arthritis, and that red
meat is bad for it. From your below list, I would say, yes, definitely make
sure to include a lot of fish in your diet, and eat everything else in that
list except the grains.

Both my parents had it. I know I have some in my knees but thankfully I'm
nowhere near the condition my folks were in at my age. If there's anything
I've done that may have contributed to this result, it's probably that I've
*always* eaten a lot of fish, way before it was recognized as healthy.

Old 26-11-2010, 10:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote:
I have also heard that fish is very good against arthritis, and that red
meat is bad for it. From your below list, I would say, yes, definitely
make sure to include a lot of fish in your diet, and eat everything else
in that list except the grains.

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message

The little research I've done suggests Fish such as herring, sardines
and tuna; garlic, onions, sprouts and cabbage; Brazil nuts, sunflower
seeds, toasted wheat germ, brown rice, wheat bran and soy beans;
almonds, barley, beans, avocados and greens; Blueberries, cherries and
black cherries.

Some of those are not real diabetes-friendly. What are the thoughts and
observations of others? Thanks.

We eat a lot of fish, too. Tilapia, salmon, trout, catfish, cod, tuna,
shrimp, squid, mussels, crab, etc. Garlic in almost everything. Onions,
sprouts, greens and avocado, too. Don't forget lots of hot chile peppers! I
do love beef and lamb, also beans. I like blueberries, strawberries and
blackberries, too. I don't eat grains, except some occasional pin oats,
grits, cornbread and pumpernickel.

The arthritis only bothers me when I'm in bed.

Old 26-11-2010, 10:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

arthritis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfuw...eature=related

Movement chose your own here is a version of Tai Chi Warm-ups.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 26-11-2010, 11:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

arthritis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfuw...eature=related

Movement chose your own here is a version of Tai Chi Warm-ups.

There is a addition that I was taught.

Stand up right and hold a cup of water in your hand upright. Bring your
right hand inward to your chest and cause it to force you to move to
allow bringing it over your head not spilling. Can do it in reverse
too as well as both hands at the same time. No water is needed unless
you like the challenge. Good for back and shoulders.

MOVE

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 26-11-2010, 11:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Nick Cramer wrote:

arthritis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfuw...eature=related

Movement chose your own here is a version of Tai Chi Warm-ups.

There is a addition that I was taught.

Stand up right and hold a cup of water in your hand upright. Bring your
right hand inward to your chest and cause it to force you to move to
allow bringing it over your head not spilling.

Words don't take the cup up but take it into your chest forcing
you to bend your back as you look up and continue the spiral. Some
things need a hands on teacher for simple things.

Old 27-11-2010, 12:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bill who putters wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
Bill who putters wrote:
Nick Cramer wrote:

arthritis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBfuw...eature=related

Movement chose your own here is a version of Tai Chi Warm-ups.

[ . . . ]
MOVE

Thanks, Bill. My wife also encourages me to move more.

Old 27-11-2010, 05:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
Besides being dx'd with T2 almost 20 years ago, I've been developing
painful arthritis in my shoulders, hips and knees. My wife asked me what
she can feed me to alleviate the pain.

The little research I've done suggests Fish such as herring, sardines and
tuna; garlic, onions, sprouts and cabbage; Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds,
toasted wheat germ, brown rice, wheat bran and soy beans; almonds, barley,
beans, avocados and greens; Blueberries, cherries and black cherries.

Some of those are not real diabetes-friendly. What are the thoughts and
observations of others? Thanks.

If you have RA, some think eliminating nightshades and wheat will help. It
seems to help my mom.

I have PA which *knock wood* is not acting up at the moment. I take
turmeric for my psoriasis and it really seems to help. I have not had a
patch of psoriasis for probably over a year now.

Old 27-11-2010, 05:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote:
[...]

I talk to someone online who says the same thing. I have other problems
which also cause pain, but normally going to bed relieves the pain. I do
have to be very careful though. There are only certain positions I can be
in or things start to cramp up on me.

Old 27-11-2010, 08:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

two things spring to mind, broccoli has naturally occuring aspirine, sp and
you might track your food in a food journal for a month to see if there are
foods that make it worse, if i eat egg plant i am miserabley stiff for days,
if i don't get a migraine to go with the stiffness i consider myself
lucky... the research says there is no hard evidence to support this but
food i eat directly affects how my joints feel, so along with eating what is
good, look at what might inflame your particular joints,

Lee

Old 27-11-2010, 09:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote:
two things spring to mind, broccoli has naturally occuring aspirine, sp
and you might track your food in a food journal for a month to see if
there are foods that make it worse, if i eat egg plant i am miserabley
stiff for days, if i don't get a migraine to go with the stiffness i
consider myself lucky... the research says there is no hard evidence to
support this but food i eat directly affects how my joints feel, so along
with eating what is good, look at what might inflame your particular
joints,

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message

Besides being dx'd with T2 almost 20 years ago, I've been developing
painful arthritis in my shoulders, hips and knees. My wife asked me
what she can feed me to alleviate the pain.
[]

Thanks, Lee. Jun manages to cook broccoli in ways that I can tolerate the
taste of. As to tracking my food, that's not very likely. Eggplant is one
of my favorites. I haven't noticed a relationship between eating it and my
arthritis pain. Even if I did, I would still eat eggplant. They say to
avoid red meat, which I need to maintain my red blood count and satisfy my
primitive blood lust! They also say to avoid dairy, but I love cheeses,
sour cream and yogurt.

At least I've minimized the things that raise my blood glucose! ;-)

Old 27-11-2010, 09:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ellen K." wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message

[ . . . ]

Thanks, Lee. I'll look into putting a foam pad on the mattress.

Old 27-11-2010, 09:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

our friend gramby got one of those memory foam deals, the flat not egg
shell, she says it has helped her back annd shoulders, she says part of it
is the support but also it is very warm to sleep on and she is convinced
that is also part of it, Lee